Start by marking “Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham” as Want to Read:
Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham

Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  3,240 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Hailed as "the world's preacher," Billy Graham has enjoyed a career that has spanned six decades and his ministry of faith has touched the hearts and souls of millions.

In Just As I Am Graham reveals his life story in what the Chicago Tribune calls "a disarmingly honest autobiography." Now, in this revised and updated edition, we hear from this "lion in winter" (Time) on hi
Published July 24th 2007 by HarperOne (first published March 3rd 1999)

Larisha
Oct 29, 2010 Larisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned much about humility and being a true servant of God from this book, and I recommend it highly.

I always wondered what it was about Billy Graham and I found out when I read this book. He is a humble man, a true servant of God, who took all things to the Lord, no matter what it was, before he made any decision!!

I recall a story from the book where Pastor Graham is flying over the middle east, wondering how he was going to speak to the people there about Jesus. And he thought, this is whe
Katelyn Beaty
Christianity Today is one of several organizations that Billy Graham helped launch. I figured that since I knew next to nothing about the man besides "Billy the Evangelist," I would read Graham's 700-page autobiography, published in 1997. After tracing his Southern roots and recapping the highlights of his overseas evangelism work, Graham moves into the most intriguing sections: his relationships with the Presidents and foreign diplomats. Graham was always intentional about forming friendships w ...more
David
Nov 20, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
I found Billy's store very encouraging and challenging. His humility comes through in this long story. He preached the Gospel on every continent; most amazing were the doors open to preach in the Soviet Union, China and North Korea. Reading of his friendships with every president since Eisenhower was wonderful because he demonstrated the love of Christ to these powerful people. Billy's interaction with these presidents serves as a lesson for all of us for he did not get involved in politics, he ...more
Scott
Nov 21, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, re-read
You might find it odd that an atheist would read the autobiography of Billy Graham but actually this is a re-read, I've read it twice before and really enjoyed it each time.

No matter how much our beliefs might differ there is no denying the importance of Billy Graham on the last 100 years and I find him to be worthy of the title "Most Respected American" (which he has been named many many times over the years).

One book can't cover nearly everything that he has done and seen over his 80 year care
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
It takes a while to get through this biography, but then Mr. Graham has done a lot in his eventful life. The book goes through his life chronologically, and it reads as if Mr. Graham was telling stories about what happened during tha time of his life. So often he will throw in a little rememberance that is only a couple of paragraphs long. It makes for a real personal feel to the book.[return]I enjoyed this book immensely. Some chapters were of less interest than others of course, my favorites w ...more
John Herrick
Jul 13, 2010 John Herrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A great overview of Billy Graham's career. At the end, I felt a bit disheartened because the reflections it contained seemed, for the most part, only surface-level deep. Knowing about his son Franklin's struggles--which the family overcame--I had hoped to read more about the heart of a father as it related to his ministry. Unfortunately, this seemed more like a rundown of factual events, a general accounting of various crusades and the numbers attended. As much as Billy Graham has experienced pe ...more
Reid
Jul 12, 2010 Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L O N G book!

Graham records his early life, becoming a Christian, and the way he was called to be an evangelist and set up an organization.

The interesting anecdotes of the crusades, the relationships with the famous drew me back into my own history trying to remember what each decade was like for me and where Graham was making history during my own life.

Each chapter read like an interesting magazine article.

I was most captivated by his personal comments at the end of the book. His reflections on
Elizabeth Swanson-McKee
I enjoyed this autiobiography of Billy Graham. When Dr. Graham was in Louisville in June of 2001, I was a counselor for the Crusade and it was a pleasure to hear him tell all of us the simple, pure Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was still attending The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky and would graduate in December 2002. This was right before 9/11/2001. Very personable man who loves to preach the Gospel and serve others.
John
Mar 23, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up in a generation that applied a synonymous meaning to spiritual things and Billy Graham. This broad based summary of Billy Graham life is both detailed and inspiring.The book chronicles his life from his early years all the way through to 1996 and tells of his influence as an evangelist literally over the entire globe.
Giju Abraham
Jan 22, 2011 Giju Abraham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long biogrpahy of a remarkable life. Even with all his high profile contacts and being known as the President's preacher, the book retains his humility and honesty. He has made no attempt to paint a larger than life image and has been open with his shortcomings.
Jennifer Lewis
I had no idea Billy Graham lead such an interesting life. I mean I knew he was widely known as an evangelist but had no idea he personally knew every president since Truman. It was amazing to see how he consistently gave credit to the Lord and the power of prayer for his blessed ministry.
Matt Galyon
Dec 22, 2015 Matt Galyon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I enjoyed most about this book was seeing how Dr. Graham's crusade ministry developed over the years. The Crusades were such massive undertakings, so to get a glimpse behind the scenes was a treat.
Sketchbook
Dec 15, 2012 Sketchbook rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Billy's best career move? Death !
Mark Henninger
Mar 04, 2017 Mark Henninger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading after having read son Franklin's autobiography, REBEL WITH A CAUSE, I think that these books may have been better to be read with Billy's then Franklin's.

The gospel is a priority in everything shared in Billy's life. I question his logic, but Billy didn't even put in a good word for a friend politician as he felt this would be a hindrance to his mission.

This is a long book, but convicting.
Chan-joo Moon
Mar 14, 2017 Chan-joo Moon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Autobiography gives a look into history and shows a powerful evangelical movement that took place in the latter half of the 20th century. Interesting to see the personal and spiritual side of world leaders. Pretty encouaging to see the impact of a life dedicated to the simple gospel message. Book is quite long and takes some work to get through, but well worth the effort.
Jack Combs
Oct 03, 2016 Jack Combs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reverend Graham in all humility lays out his life story of bringing the salvation message to the masses.
Excellent read about one of the most influential people in our lifetime.
Thomas Maerke
After a guy at a men's Bible study kept referencing Billy Graham, I thought, I should read his autobiography. That would be interesting. Boy, was I right.

1. It's so long. He has lived an amazing, rich life. He has done phenomenal work. He has met lots of famous people. He has preached to millions. But, I kept thinking, I'm 250 pages into this book and not half way through yet. I'm 300 pages into this book and not half way through yet. I'm 400 pages into this book and I'm only half way through i
Tiff Miller
Wow. This tome took me almost a full year to read. While I normally read through books at a much faster pace, this book was far too meaty to tackle it in one go. There were plenty of weeks in which I did not pick it up at all, because the information within was overwhelming at times.

Billy Graham is someone my dad always had great respect for. I have never known much about him other than that he is one of the world's most prolific evangelists, and through his preaching, thousands upon thousands h
Robert Justice
Mar 24, 2014 Robert Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during one of the summers of my high school years, and its impression on me has never left. As a Christian, Billy Graham is one of my personal heroes, and reading his life story from his own "lips" was a genuine thrill. Learning about the amazing things which God allowed Billy to experience provide a powerful comfort to Christians who may be wondering deep down if God can really use anyone.
There are accounts in the book which can't be taken as anything but divine Providence. Fo
Isaac
May 29, 2012 Isaac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one actually probably gets three and a half stars, but as I can't give half stars its just three (sorry Billy).
Not terribly deep in terms of spirituality, but there's a lot of wisdom that could, certainly, be applied to the practical side of ministry.
The other major value I derived from it is the interesting historical perspective, and coming from a man whose life and ministry has helped to define so much of modern evangelicalism I'd say its definately full worthy of the read. I particularl
Jordan
Apr 15, 2013 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults, my-faith
A straightforward history more than revealing autobiography "Just As I Am" reveals nothing particularly novel about Billy Graham... except for his humanity. If you are looking for great revelation, sordid details, or surprising secrets look elsewhere. In this book Rev. Graham lists out clearly if not plainly the events of his life, the roots of his "fame" in the Los Angeles preaching crusades, on through his later life.

What I found most telling is ability to speak positively and warmly about eve
Dave Rench
Jan 24, 2017 Dave Rench rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a humble man of God. It was amazing how much he worked for the sake of the Gospel, especially in uniting the church under the common theme of salvation. As an evangelist, he purposefully steered clear of areas of dissention between denominations or catholic and protestant. Not that those areas of difference aren't areas to be discussed and even fight for at times, but he realized his platform was not the conduit to do that.
I also appreciated his last chapter where he expresses heartfelt sor
Stanley
Apr 21, 2015 Stanley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I grew up being continually exposed to BGEA and purchased this book to clarify some history I already had a some of knowledge about. This is not a hard hitting tell all book in any way shape or form. There are no deep dark secrets exposed and Mr. Graham never takes the kid gloves off. Being interested in his encounters with several Presidents I paid particular attention as he talked about his relationships with Gen. Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ, RMN, Carter, RWR, GHWB, Bubba & HRC. I was greatly dis ...more
Jan
Oct 06, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I really enjoyed this book, although it's length seemed to go on forever. Having grown up hearing about Billy Graham, and having gone to at least one of his crusades (with my church) I found many of the personalities and famous people he talked about,familiar and inspiring. I was glad to know more about Stuart Hamblen, for instance. I can remember when my parents started listening to him on the radio( after he was saved at a Billy Graham Crusade), and my mother telling me how his radio program h ...more
Kimberly Sutor
I was privileged to see Billy Graham in person (and even sat very near the front...next to a young man from Kimberley, South Africa), so this book has been on my 'To Read' list for years!

I finally grabbed it at the church library 2 weeks ago. I only read it at bedtime, so I'm not getting anywhere fast....and since it's a HUGE book, it may be a while. *LOL*

It was a little slow getting started, and he has a tendency to slide from one thing right into another...which makes it hard to find a stoppin
Jeri
Oct 11, 2015 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
no matter what your religious beliefs, I know of no one who doesn't respect and admire Billy Graham, As a recent Christian, I thought maybe I should read more about him so I ordered his autobiography which was published in the late 1990's. Little did I know that it had recently been updated to reflect on his life since then, including 9/11 and his recognition of aging and his decline in physical condition as well as his wife's. Their story is wonderful unto itself and although every once in a wh ...more
Dave Koch
Dec 19, 2012 Dave Koch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this autobiography a lot more than I thought I would. The first 100 pages were a little slow for me but when he got into the part where his life intersected with events and people I remembered, it became much more interesting.

Billy Graham is an admirable man for many reasons: his life-long commitment to his mission; his honesty and integrity; his strong sense of humility and appreciation for those working with him.

He respected and built bridges with people of many beliefs. This seems t
Mark Leaming
Jan 11, 2014 Mark Leaming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book in which you feel you accomplished something when you finished it; very long, but very informative. Dr. Graham has had an amazing life as he took his role in doing the Great Commission seriously. It was amazing how he stayed focused on everything that he was involved in on the process of sharing the Good News, yet he admitted many times in the book that it was God and the great team of people he was blessed with. His family concerns, his personal experiences with every president i ...more
Ian Healey
Jan 05, 2013 Ian Healey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Billy Graham is a remarkable man and has probably influenced more people than anyone else in the last century. Having seen him live in Sheffield, England, many years ago I was impressed by his sincerity, his openness and the feeling he was talking to me personally, despite the presence of 50,000 other people. This comes through in the book; whether presidents or paupers, rich or needy, I was left with the impression that he sees people as individuals and tries to meet their needs through leading ...more
Shammah
Jun 14, 2008 Shammah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into the humble beginnings (okay, you'll find him admitting to his arrogance at one point early on, when of course he got knocked flat on his .....) of this man who has so greatly influenced our modern society - for the good - whether or not you are a believer in his gospel message about Yahshua/Jesus.

His story is one that tells you, when you question "Who me," when feeling called to do something that you think is beyond your capabilities; because you see, that's just how the Good
Madison Mega-Mara...: just as i am 1 4 May 10, 2012 07:23AM
  • Rebel With A Cause
  • Born Again
  • Ruth, A Portrait: The story of Ruth Bell Graham
  • A God Entranced Vision of All Things: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • The Preacher and the Presidents: Billy Graham in the White House
  • The Autobiography of Charles G. Finney: The Life Story of America's Great Evangelist-In His Own Words
  • C. S. Lewis: Writer and Scholar (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Jungle Pilot
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography
  • God Came Near
  • To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
husband to Ruth Bell Graham
father of Ruth Graham, Gigi Graham Tchividjian, & Anne Graham Lotz, Nelson, & Franklin Graham

Dr. Billy Graham has authored more than 150 books.

Billy Graham's Son, Franklin Graham has taken the reigns of his ministry.

Billy Graham was married to Ruth (Bell) Graham until her death in 2007. Ruth Graham, was born Ruth Bell in Qingjiang, Kiangsu, China. Ruth's parents
More about Billy Graham...