The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone, #1)

The Clone Republic (Rogue Clone #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,187 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Earth, 2508 A.D. Humans have spread across the six arms of the Milky Way Galaxy. The Unified Authority controls Earth’s colonies with an iron fist and a powerful military—a military made up almost entirely of clones… Private first-class Wayson Harris was raised in a U.A. orphanage among thousands of clones born and bred to be the ultimate soldiers. But Harris isn’t like th...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published March 28th 2006 by Ace (first published March 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Clone Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clone Republic

Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonRevelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Excellent Space Opera
160th out of 259 books — 1,338 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
232nd out of 525 books — 661 voters

More lists with this book...

Saphirablue
Sci-Fi? Check. Military themed? Check. A loner as the main character? Check! Some twists and turns you don't see coming? Check. You've got me! :) I like how this book deals with the colonisation of space when there are no Aliens in the whole galaxy. How will mankind deal with that? With a dictatorship in which Earth controls its colonies with an iron fist and a large military presence? Highly possible! I also like how it deals with an army of clones. It could have been boring but here we get a s...more
Keith
Did you enjoy Deathstalker? Vlad Taltos? Drizzt? Ender? This series is of that high of a caliber to rank in my five best of all time. This series is outstanding! While it is necessary to read them in order to properly follow the sequence of events, he goes into enough detail within the book to allow you to catch up or bring back to memory things that have transpired.

The premise: the military consists entirely of clone soliders, very expendable clone soldiers with no thought for self preservatio...more
Mark
Titan Books in the UK are currently catching up on a lot of authors that our US readers have already met: Jack Campbell, Kevin J Anderson and John Birmingham, for example.

Their latest conscript is Steven L Kent, whose nine book series has already been quite popular in the US. The Clone Republic, the first in the series, is standard mil-SF for those who want to upgrade from those clones in the Star Wars novels. These are books that cover similar ground but are much more adult in nature (and pleas...more
Stefan
The Clone Republic was a thrilling work of science fiction. Stephen Kent reminded me why I so enjoyed military science fiction: good dialogue, a intelligent plot, memorable characters, and a interesting setting. The first page drew me into the story and I was hooked. The Clone Republic has the depth, excitement, and variety that so many science fiction novels lack.
Sherman
This is really my review for the series. It is a fun scifi space military series with subtle critiques of various parts of society peppered throughout. It is exactly what Scifi should be, and if I didn't oppose all things military I would be buying it instead of checking it out from the library. Very good overall.
Lee Ragans
This is military Sci-Fi at its finest. If you like David Drake's Hammers Slammers then you will love this series. The author uses a nifty trick to explain the science behind his fiction and a good use of First Person to avoid having to explain every detail. Not amazing fiction, but very entertaining.
Jim
I believe I have read this book before. Pretty good military science-fiction. Has a lot of action but the main character gets a lot of attention pretty quickly. He goes from just out of basic to becoming a Lt. in about 2-3 years which I guess isn't so bad since OCS can generate an Lt in 90 days!

Noah Frank
First off, let me say that no, this book is not anything like "Star Wars." This book is fascinating to read, and after reading the rest of the series, Steven L. Kent has managed to become one of my favorite authors. This book tells the intriguing story of Wayson Harris, a Unified Authority marine fresh out of training. The book takes place in the 26th century, and the Unified Authority is a hyper-evolved plutocratic version of the United States. As Harris journeys across the various planets of t...more
Vincent Hobbes
Good book. This follows the life of a Marine in the future. If you like sci-fi (and not complicated), I suggest this. Currently reading the second book in the series.
Gem
My Thoughts: This is going to be a really tough review to write, mainly because this book wound me up for quite some time before I reached the end, and not really in a good way. Please remember that this is just my own opinion, and you will need to read the book yourself to form your own views. I am going to break this review down somewhat, to help me to articulate everything that I feel I need to. There is quite a lot for me to get through!

First Impressions... The idea of this novel struck me....more
Roman
Another generic science fiction read. Character development is slow, it never seems as if any character is truly at odds with himself. All character conflicts of interest seem to be resolved by the 'oops, but I'm a clone and I'm programmed to act this way' method. I found the plot to be relatively straightforward, very predictable at points, but utterly unpredictable at others (like the first mention of the Atkins separatists), on a scale where I consider the sweet spot to be barely unpredictabl...more
Christina
It starts off with a very interesting concept for a future in which Earth and its many off-world colonies are governed by a ruling body which is, in essence, the US government but with a more elitist structure and only a smidgeon of democratic function. It is backed by a military staffed almost entirely by clones, who grow up in military "orphanages" and led by a human (and mostly Earth-born) officer class. The story is told from the point of view of Wayson Harris, a recent graduate from one of...more
Helen

Hmmm. I think I've spotted a possible plot twist (view spoiler)

Well, I got the plot twist. I think I was just a bit disappointed with this read. I was hoping for something along David Weber's style - epic battles, back stabbing politics and awesome characters. However, I found the Clone Republic to be just forgettable. I finished this a couple of days ago, and I'm already forgetting what happened.

So, it passed the time, but I'm probably not...more
Timothy
I picked up the first three books of this series during the Borders going-out-of-business sale.

I enjoyed the story and have started reading the second one. Usually I try to split up the types of books but wanted to keep going with this story. I'm hoping in the second book, the main character is more heroic. He is supposed to be a super-soldier, and by the end of the book he's close, but I am still looking for grander results.

It was a fun read and I thought I had figured out the gimmick to how...more
Edmond Barrett
Dire, just dire.

Okay that's maybe a little unfair but only a little. There are some interesting ideas here and serious thought has clearly been given to the world building but unfortunately it is broadly wasted, all because of the central character.

Basically my problem is that the central character doesn't make any kind of running in this book. He merely goes with the flow. Every now and we get glimpses of the universe beyond where exciting thing seem to be happening but then we are dragged ba...more
Liam Smith
This book kept on having promising moments that pulled me in, but the long drawn and just plain dark stuff that happened in the mean time just wasn't for me.

Knowing the title of the series itself gave away a major plot point that's not revealed until about a third of the way into the book, and really not until the end.

Perhaps the sequel will be better, but I'm not sure I'll check it out. Granted, a lot of the best stuff was setting things up for the rest of the series so perhaps I should give i...more
David
Highly enjoyable military science fiction. Interestingly enough, I read this book while watching the new 'Clone Wars' animated sci-fi TV series, and it's intriguing to consider the thorny logistics of imbuing cloned lifeforms with the intelligence and foresight to autonomously achieve military objectives, while simultaneously preventing the clones from gaining true 'self-awareness' / rebelling from their creators. Interesting stuff. I'd strongly recommend the book.
April
I don't read a lot of science fiction. My boyfriend had this, and I started it on a whim of boredom. I thought this book started out a little slow. I could not really get into the story or characters. However, it picked up and by the end I truly cared about Wayson. I don't know if I will read anymore of Kent's books, not really my favorite genre, but overall this book was decent.
Dia
I picked this book up at the library to pass time, but ended up invested in the storyline. Enjoyed the characters even though Freeman did seem a bit flat at times. Despite that I really liked this and can't wait to read the rest of the series. And this coming from someone who doesn't read anything but fantasy and a rare murder mystery. =)
Nathanks
This got 2 stars because it started out really strong and really interesting ... and then it went and got all weird and felt like a cop-out. While I'm interested to know where the storyline ends upon the following sequels, I have no interest in repeating my feeling of disappointment as I finished this novel.
Emma
A definite must for fans of Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series or Neil Asher. Kent has a unique writing style that's extremely moreish! I've already ordered the next book in the series. :-) I love Harris' character development in his debut, and hope it continues. Five stars.
Brook
It's a nice idea for a universe, similar to Scalzi's "Old Man's War", but nowhere near as engaging.
The protagonist doesn't really move the plot. Instead of being a part of the plot, the plot is all stuff that is happening to him.
Adam
I liked this book. I think the action came on a little too quick, but it improved in his later books. Very fast paced and well written. The character is also well developed, despite the little time spent on him.
Steve Smoot
really pretty bad mil SF. Oddly compelled to read more, but hard to see why beyond a sort of Armor parallel (go read that instead). Mystified at the 4/5 stars on amazon for the series and decent marks here.
Kernos
Reviewed on the The Clone Identity omnibus page.
John
Inner and external conflict, great character development of the main character ... what more can we want from a military sci-fi novel?
Seema
A fairly pointless book. Never quite got the point of the plot which seems to just meander along with no clear goal.
Krzysztof Mathews
A very promising beginning to what looks like a substantial series. Well written and entertaining.
Chase Willett
Yeah I can't finish this one. It's Mil-Fic with the teeth removed and the balls all shrunk up.
Paul Byer
Very slow read. Should be listed under children's sci-fi for beginning readers.
  • Orphanage (Jason Wander, #1)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Semper Mars (Heritage Trilogy, #1)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • On Silver Wings (Hayden War Cycle, #1)
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
  • Courageous (The Lost Fleet, #3)
  • Stark's War (Stark's War, #1)
  • Starship: Mutiny (Starship, #1)
Steven L. Kent is the author of four Military Science Fiction novels and The Ultimate History of Video Games.

Born in California and raised in Hawaii, Kent served as a missionary for the LDS Church between the years of 1979 and 1981. During that time, he worked as a Spanish-speaking missionary serving migrant farm workers in southern Idaho.

While Kent has a Bachelor’s degree in journalism and a Mast...more
More about Steven L. Kent...
The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon - The Story Behind the Craze That Touched Our Lives and Changed the World Rogue Clone (Rogue Clone, #2) The Clone Alliance (Rogue Clone, #3) The Clone Elite (Rogue Clone, #4) The Clone Betrayal (Rogue Clone, #5)