Start by marking “Hellfire” as Want to Read:
Hellfire

Hellfire

The true story of one man's determination to master the world's deadliest helicopter and of a split-second decision that changed the face of modern warfare. Ed Macy bent every rule in the book to get to where he wanted to be: on Ops in the stinking heat of the Afghan summer, with the world's greatest weapons system at his fingertips. It's 2006 and he is part of an elite gr ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Hellfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellfire

Terri
This is another of those times where I wish there were half stars. I wanted so much to give this book 5 stars, but during the 400 pages in this book I spent from approximately page 100 to page 200 quite bored. However, the first 100 pages were terrific and the last 200 pages were outstanding. But, alas, I couldn't in all honesty give this 5 out of 5 because of that bit that bored me. I would prefer to give it 4 1/2 so really, that's what I am giving it.
I should also mention that the reason I was
Tasha
Apr 06, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-military
Macy is a character, a really fun writer to read. I've read his other book, Apache, which was just flat out amazing and received a solid 5 stars from me. This one was still just as awe-inspiring, but just didn't have the same nail-biting intensity as Apache, hence the 4 stars. It is still a highly recommended read!
William A. Johns
Jul 17, 2011 William A. Johns rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Helicopter buffs
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful book. The overall style of the book reminded me of "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" in that both are a telling of the stories of the author's lives. Only, Feynman was a Physicist, and Ed Macy was a Helicopter Pilot. I would recommend this book to anybody, but especially Helicopter and war enthusiasts.
Kevin
Jan 03, 2011 Kevin rated it really liked it
If you liked Apache this is a must read... Not as much drama as Apache but mostly a prequel explaining how the Apache program came to be developed in the British Army Air Corps.
Robert Hepple
Dec 26, 2016 Robert Hepple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hellfire is a 2009 publication telling of the author's experiences flying the Apache helicopter with the British Army's Army Air Corps. The earlier parts off the book look at his training on the Chipmunk and Gazelle, and subsequent service using the Gazelle and Lynx before being selected for the new (to the AAC) Apache helicopter. Following this, much of the book looks at a lengthy deployment in Afghanistan, and the subsequent ups and downs of his experiences using the Apache in combat. The auth ...more
Ian
Incredible amount of detail on the training and operation of the Apache helicopter, which I found interesting but a little tedious at times. To be fair it sets the stage for the rest of the book; it would be hard to understand without a very high level introduction to the different aeronautical and avionics systems.

The latter half of the book deals with his tour of duty in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. I found this section more engaging, particularly the detailed sections on how the Apaches wor
May 16, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
A good read, not as entertaining as Apache but if you liked Apache it's worth a read. A little heavy on the ego side but given the work these guys do it comes with the job.
Daniel Goh
Jul 26, 2011 Daniel Goh rated it really liked it
Good stuff! Love the way the Apache is described for its features.
Yashas Janardhan
Jun 05, 2015 Yashas Janardhan rated it really liked it
Both his books are absolutely thrilling to read ., Apache and hellfire tells a true story from the point of view of a pilot whose wit , charm and gung-HO leads the reader into a amazing journey.
Thomas Witcomb
Jun 21, 2014 Thomas Witcomb rated it it was amazing
Martyn Legg
Mar 07, 2015 Martyn Legg rated it it was amazing
An inciteful glimpse into the intense training of an attack helicopter pilot. Very readable.
Ernest Carter
Sep 23, 2016 Ernest Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

A good read if a little bit to technical at times and too much use of abbreviated words for systems
Jwhitley
Dec 02, 2009 Jwhitley rated it really liked it
Pretty good read about the first operational use of the Hellfire missle by UK Apache pilots.
Nachiketa
Nachiketa rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Vetri
Vetri rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Ali Redha
Ali Redha rated it really liked it
May 20, 2015
Syed Inam
Syed Inam rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Phil Burchell
Phil Burchell rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Mr Chris Leonard
Mr Chris Leonard rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Maria Shortland
Maria Shortland rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
David Roysdon
David Roysdon rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
alexander yuill
alexander yuill rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Lukija
Lukija rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Andraž Knap
Andraž Knap rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Tim Evans
Tim Evans rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Caleb
Caleb rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Nick Williams-howes
Nick Williams-howes rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Oliver
Oliver rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Gururaj N
Gururaj N rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • Dead Men Risen: The Welsh Guards and the Real Story of Britain's War in Afghanistan
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Apache Dawn
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Task Force Black
  • Vulcan 607
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan