Start by marking “The World Is Dead: A Zombie Anthology” as Want to Read:
The World Is Dead: A Zombie Anthology

The World Is Dead: A Zombie Anthology

The end of the world has come and gone. The dead have risen, and they've won. No more rallying of the troops. No miracle cure or weapon. Just lots of dead people walking around. If the living dead won, what would the world be like?

This collection of eighteen tales-including entries from David Wellington, Jack Ketchum, and Gary A. Braunbeck-take up the call to answer that
Published September 15th 2009 by Permuted Press

To ask other readers questions about The World Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Is Dead

Colleen Wanglund
Mar 10, 2010 Colleen Wanglund rated it really liked it

World Is Dead, edited by Kim Paffenroth for Permuted Press, is a 17-story zombie anthology. All of the stories are set, for the most part, after the apocalypse has already taken place. Interestingly, all of the stories are grouped according to what they relate to-work, family, love, and life.
There are two stories that are absolute favorites for me. The first is THE SONG OF ABSENT BIRDS by Mark Onspaugh. Society has survived in underground sectors, with the zombies migrating in large groups on
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it it was amazing
The World is Dead is the latest zombie Anthology from Kim Paffenroth, who also oversaw History is Dead. This anthology looks forward, to the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, as opposed to looking back at key points in our history where zombies reared their ugly heads, which is what we got in his last anthology.

The nature of this book makes most of these stories personal and intimate, with sadness and regret tinging many of the tales. We are not looking at things from a worldwide perspective
Jordan Anderson
Aug 26, 2011 Jordan Anderson rated it it was ok
It always seems that when searching through a catalogue of zombie anthologies, that without fail, Kim Paffenroth’s collections always make the top 3, and in a genre that is becoming bloated, rotting, and slow moving (much like the very zombies in these stories), it’s hard to abide by the acclaim many of these collections get. While “The World is Dead” has a pretty sweet looking cover, and is totted as being a collection that “...represents the best of zombie literature”, it is, unfortunately, a ...more
David
Sep 13, 2009 David rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable collection of zombie-related tales. As with most anthologies, some stories hit closer to the mark than others, but The World is Dead contains more than its fair share of sure-fire hits. I was asked to blurb this book but my recommendation is sincere. A superb collection from Kim Paffenroth and Permuted Press.
Andy Phillips
Oct 03, 2014 Andy Phillips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies
This is a great selection of short stories for zombie fans. There are no poor stories, and only a couple of average ones, which is fairly unusual for these sorts of collections, from my experience.

All of the tales are set in a world where the zombies have taken over and the initial outbreak has passed. Each story has a different perspective on what would happen next, and how people would continue to live under those circumstances. Brief summaries of each story follow. Quite a few of the authors
Joe
Jun 20, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I'm always up for a good zombie tale, which may bias my review. Allow a star or so variance if the walking dead are not to your taste. Though, no doubt, you are very much to their taste!

The stories collected here share a common theme of being set years after a zombie apocalypse, after the world has settled down to a new "normal" in which the walking dead are an accpeted fact of life. The material is all new, written for the collection.

Of the eighteen stories collected here I found six to be quit
Juan
Oct 08, 2014 Juan added it
I liked a few of the stories in the book. The "family" stories were my favorite. They were touching to me. I liked how some characters tried to connect with their family members, despite if they are alive or "zombies".
Travis
Jun 17, 2014 Travis rated it really liked it
As with any Anthology, there were some duds in this collection. Overall, the majority of the short stories were average/above average for a pretty saturated "zombie" market.
Helena Sheibler
Jun 14, 2012 Helena Sheibler rated it it was amazing
"The world is dead" is probably the best zombie anthology I've ever read. Not a single dud. A real stand out is The Blue World by Carole Lanham. This book is a must-read. :)
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Gavin Nicks
Gavin Nicks rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Roko
Roko rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Marcella Thomas
Marcella Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Bell Crowder
Bell Crowder rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Catt Dahman
Catt Dahman rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Captain Apocalypse
Captain Apocalypse rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Tolerance Pain
Tolerance Pain rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Willie Pinckney
Willie Pinckney rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Eurymakos
Eurymakos rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2012
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Eric Whitman
Eric Whitman rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Nuru
Nuru rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Kimberly Ruth Leman
Kimberly Ruth Leman rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Beans
Beans rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Raven
Raven rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Eden
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Deadlands
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
I am a professor of religious studies, and the author of several books on the Bible and theology. I grew up in New York, Virginia, and New Mexico. I attended St. John's College, Annapolis, MD (BA, 1988), Harvard Divinity School (MTS, 1990), and the University of Notre Dame (PhD, 1995). I live in upstate New York with my wife and two wonderful kids. In the horror genre, I have written Gospel of the ...more
More about Kim Paffenroth...