Start by marking “The Quiet Book” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  4,011 Ratings  ·  424 Reviews
Published April 12th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quiet Book

Lisa Vegan
Jun 27, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
I really liked In a Blue Room but I’m not usually a fan of “go to bed” or otherwise “quiet down” books.

I loved everything about this book. Every page is precious. Kids will appreciate all the different kinds of quiet and can think up some of their own. The illustrations are perfect. This is a good bedtime or anytime book.

The “story” goes from waking in the morning to bedtime, with what could be an extremely full day in-between, but they’re probably activities during many days.

I read it then I im
David Schaafsma
Nov 23, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I just had read Underwood's Interstellar Cinderella and thought it was one of the best picture books of the year. It was wild, original, feminist and funny.

The Quiet Book was and is very popular and is also very good, though a more conventional picture book. But it's also got absolutely gorgeous, refined, gentle, elegant illustrations By Renata Liwska. Fits quiet.

The writing is also elegant and original, if not the wilder departure in Interstellar Cinderella.
Tasha
Mar 19, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are many kind of quiet. Quiet can cozy. Quiet can be tense. Quiet can be worth savoring. Quiet can be gone in a flash. This book celebrates the many kinds of quiet, offering examples of the many moments of quiet in a day. Starting with the quiet of being the first one awake, the book ends with the quiet of being sound asleep. In between, readers will find examples of quiet that are funny, surprising and poignant. This is a simple premise executed with great finesse.

Underwood’s one-per-page
babyhippoface
May 05, 2010 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
If you asked a child (or an adult, for that matter) how many kinds of quiet there are, I think they'd shoot you a quizzical stare. How many kinds of quiet? What does that mean? Share this book with him, and he'll understand.

The quiet you experience when you're the first person up in the morning feels different than the quiet you experience when you're playing hide-and-seek, or the quiet you experience when you're following your teacher to the principal's office because you're busted, or the qui
Hattie
Nov 09, 2010 Hattie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all

Shhhh, I have to write this book review with complete quietness around me. Otherwise, my love for THE QUIET BOOK BY DEBORAH UNDERWOOD will become completely smothered by the boom of drums, the bang of a door or the ting a ling of the telephone. I must write quickly because noise seems to have more muscle than silence. Although quietness is made up of snowflakes, Hide and Seek and that sinking quiet feeling when you are the last one to be picked up from school, it is easy to miss the beauty of it
Luann
Jul 05, 2012 Luann rated it really liked it
What a great idea for a book! I'm thinking of using this to read aloud to my class at the beginning of the school year. I love the concept of different types of quiets. Some of my favorites in the book are: "swimming underwater quiet," "first snow fall quiet" and "story time quiet" - probably because they all bring back such great memories. When I read it to my students I'll have them come up with their own list of "quiets."
April Thompson
Sep 04, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own
I love quiet time
Vivek Tejuja
May 31, 2015 Vivek Tejuja rated it it was amazing
The beauty of stillness is something else. Not to forget what happens when there is a certain kind of hush all over the world. There is almost something magical about silences. When no one needs to say a word and maybe that is good enough. In hindsight, maybe that is how the world is supposed to be. And what better place for the world to start learning these lessons than from a children’s book.

I honestly believe that children’s books aren’t written for children alone. There is a lot that adults
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2010
Kathryn
I loved this book! I was concerned it wouldn't live up to the hype but, gosh, I just want to give it a big hug. I appreciate the various sorts of "quiet" that are accentuated in the text, but it is the illustrations that really won me over. They are absolutely sooo adorable without being "too precious"--there is a deep heart and sense of artistry to each illustration and they are just so sweet and so much fun! I delight in the variety of woodland creatures we get to meet, too.

Three cheers for s
Ellen
Feb 18, 2010 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Awwwwww. Love this book. Illustrations are sweet and whimsical. You gotta see this one yourself.
Aneesa
Jul 14, 2016 Aneesa rated it it was amazing
Composing-your-book-review quiet.

Shocking lack of hyphens.
Briana
Apr 03, 2017 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-skills
Introduces a series of times when we feel quiet. Shows that quiet really can mean different things based on context. Deep for adults, but understandable for kids. Great book!
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
The Quiet Book. / Deborah Underwood. Renata Liwska (ill.) / 2010.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - online.

Plot summary:
"From the quiet of being the first one awake in the morning to 'sweet dreams quiet' when the last light is turned off, simple text explores the many kinds of quiet that can exist during the day" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
quietness, sound, animals

Review citation:
"White space is used creatively to emphasize
Michele
Apr 14, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, childrens
From the excited anticipation of "Top of the roller coaster quiet" to the uh-oh moment of "Jelly side down quiet" to the wonder of "First snowfall quiet", this book covers the beautiful nuances of life's many quiet moments.

I loved reading this as an adult because it had me thinking of my own quiet moments, "Bottom of the Nutella jar quiet" and "Sleeping Bea's head on my shoulder quiet". Bea seemed to enjoy it too, probably because the illustrations were engaging and the text wasn't too long for
Nancy
Apr 29, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Brilliant collection of quiet, with delicate illustrations you want to stare at so you don't miss anything.
This was the perfect launch for list-poem writing with Mrs. LaVielle's 5 and 6 year olds:

Quiet Poem

Flower growing quiet
Library quiet
Brain thinking quiet
Rain sprinkle quiet
Turtle quiet
Hair without beads quiet
Cat looking quiet
Staring at crazy ladies quiet
Whispering inside quiet
Tiptoe quiet

(Thank you, Becky, for the recommendation!)

Crystal Marcos
Aug 08, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this book was awesome. It reminded me of an animation movie. I could picture these adorable animals moving around this book. I never thought of how many types of "quiet" there were. There are many! I smiled, I giggled, I said aweee, and it made me think of my little girl. Definitely a winner!
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call No: J Picture Underwood D
Kay's Rating: 5 Stars

This book is a quiet one, yet one that you don't want to miss; so I'll give it a shout out. I love the descriptive sentences about the many kinds of quiets. The author loves "cat sleeping on your stomach quiet" and "smelling lilacs quiet." I do too.
Angie
Mar 16, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Oh how sweet! Not in a syrupy way, but in a gentle way. This book shares different kinds of quiet. I was amazed at how powerful the examples were---very effective at evoking different types of emotion.
Julie
Apr 14, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It seems to me to be an example of a perfect picture book. There is sparse, simple, yet evocative language, and illustrations that add their own extra elements and humour to the story along the way. You have to see it for yourself. Gorgeous.
Rebecca
Adorable alert! Soft, fuzzy animals in this small, simple book show the many different kinds of quiet (first snowfall quiet; car ride at night quiet). Begins with waking up and ends with sleeping. Perfect.
Rosalie Street
Apr 05, 2013 Rosalie Street rated it it was amazing
I want to give this book 10 stars !
This book is beautiful, every child should have a copy.
Michelle
Jun 02, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
So adorable, I can't stand it!
Kaloyana
Mar 16, 2015 Kaloyana rated it it was amazing
Това го прочетох в една книжарница за десетина минути. Просто е прекрасна книга - и картинките и текста.
Laurie
Aug 04, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youthful
Very sweet.
Juli Ryan
Jul 14, 2010 Juli Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a charming picture book. Renata Liwska's illustrations are beautiful. Ages 4 to 6 will love this book.
Clare Cannon
Jan 26, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 4-10 years
Shelves: 04-8yrs
This is the kind of picture book I like... there's a magic in how it expresses all the different types of quiet that children know.
M'Lissa
Jun 02, 2010 M'Lissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
lovely! A great one on one book.

Don't think the pictures carry well enough for storytime
Libby
Sep 20, 2016 Libby rated it it was amazing
Lovely bedtime read with sweet illustrations.
Keely
Apr 28, 2010 Keely rated it it was amazing
So, Deborah, is a dear friend of mine, but still...this book is stunning!
So sweet and quiet and beautifully crafted -- grab a first edition if you can, this is an instant classic!
  • Brontorina
  • Flora's Very Windy Day
  • City Dog, Country Frog
  • The Boss Baby
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Dogs