Start by marking “Ten Little Herrings” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Herrings

Ten Little Herrings (Elsie and Ethelred Mystery #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When obscure crime writer Ethelred Tressider vanishes, his dogged literary agent, Elsie Thirkettle, is soon on his trail. Finding him (in a ramshackle hotel in the French Loire) proves surprisingly easy. Bringing him home proves more difficult than expected - but (as Elsie observes) who would have predicted that, in a hotel full of stamp collectors, the guests would sudden ...more
Published 2009 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Herrings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Herrings

Ann
May 16, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ten Little What? Well, if you know your English mysteries, you'll know right away what's going on here - a little fun at Dame Agatha's expense.

And lovely fun it is too. Mediocre mystery writer Ethelred Tressider and his scornful agent Elsie Thirkettle are together again, despite Ethelred's best efforts. This time they're in a dumpy hotel at a French stamp-collectors' convention. But oh my, what a motley crew has assembled, and - you will not believe this - the guests seem to be dying or under a
Maria Thermann
Jan 17, 2016 Maria Thermann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to "The Herring Seller's Apprentice" is another delightful whodunit from L C Tyler, taking not just a tongue-in-cheek look at the crime writing genre with his series, but also a irreverent look at the world of writers versus literary agents.

Hampered at every turn by his formidable literary agent Elsie Thirkettle to start a new life, crime writer Ethelred Tressider returns to Europe from a sting in Goa only to find that all his credit and bank cards have been cancelled because his agen
Sara
Jan 06, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun-filled cosy murder mystery with plenty of laughs along the way. However, I didn't realise it was the 2nd book in a series - so got confused over some aspects. I would suggest you read "The Herring Seller's Apprentice 1st (I cannot say if this will help - as I haven't actually read this one). The story works ok as a stand-alone story but you are missing some of the background info/knowledge. Still a good read though.

The characters are amusing and the story flows well. It is a quick, easy re
John Lee
Jan 09, 2015 John Lee rated it liked it
Sorry. This one didn't do it for me, but at least I finished it. It was ok as a light-hearted-time-passer but little more. With a whodoneit, my criteria is, ' how much do I want to know who did it?' Here, I wasn't particularly bothered (and, as it turned out ,I was right all along) but for some strange reason I wanted to read it through. So that has to be worth something.
One of my problems with this was that the cover picture of Elsie Thirkettle never did quite match up to the descriptions of he
Yoy
Apr 25, 2016 Yoy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weer een hele leuke detective, met de loser-dectecitve-auteur Tressider en zijn lastige, hooghartige literair agente Elsie.
Hoofdstukken wisselen elkaar af, soms is hij aan het woord met heerlijk Britser loser-humor, soms zij, met heerlijk Britse ironie.

Toch vond ik het vorige boek leuker. Er waren meer landschapsbeschrijvingen (niet moeilijk, hier zit iedereen opgesloten in een hotel).

En Tressider heeft besloten zich niet meer bezig te houden met zijn vroegere personages. In plaats daarvan is hi
Bev
Apr 10, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
**Possible spoilers for those who have not read the first novel, The Herring-Seller's Apprentice

Ten Little Herrings by L. C. Tyler is the second book in a series starring Ethelred Tressider, a mediocre mystery-writer, and Elsie Thirkettle, his chocolate-loving agent. At the end of the last enstallment, Ethelred was flying off into the sunset, apparently giving up his career as a mystery-writer, and leaving his agent, Elsie, holding the bag. As Herrings opens, Elsie has tracked her MIA client to
Graham Tapper
Sep 18, 2011 Graham Tapper rated it it was amazing
Really getting into L.C. Tyler's books. This is the second, featuring Ethelred, the crime writer and Elsie, his agent. The book is written from alternate points of view, with Ethelred and Elsie's chapter in different fonts, just in case you get confused!

Ethelred has disappeared and Elsie is determined, in her usual ham-fisted way, to find out what has happened to him. The road eventually leads to a seedy hotel in the Loire Valley, where the bodies are starting to mount up. Who is killing them an
Kim
Feb 29, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-2016
Les Wilson
Aug 11, 2015 Les Wilson rated it it was ok
I don't know what it is, but with many modern crime stories, the main investigators actions are irresponsible and verge on the ridiculous. Just started this book and already her actions are making me what to abandon the book. Her stupidity is too much for me, so have abandoned.
Susan
May 19, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Clever Elsie is sure that her client, mystery writer Ethelred, will surface eventually, after the events in Tyler's first book. When he does, his agent will be there. Although Elsie generally thinks that authors are unimportant, she does have a soft spot for him. That's why she goes to pick him up (she's cancelled his credit cards) in a small French hotel which is occupied largely by stamp collectors who have been to a stamp fair. When one of them is killed, there are only a few people left in t ...more
Bibliobabe
Elsie is back - and so is Ethelred (from the supposed dead). This time Elsie goes to rescue him in France (as she has had all his credit cards cancelled since he's dead) and the bodies start dropping. Fun, tongue in cheek, and a pleasant adventure.
Danielle
I loved this novel even more than the first one. Picking up pretty much after The Herring Seller's Apprentice finishes, we find ourself mainly in Elsie's perspective - a rather fun one at that. She's upset, she's angry but most of all, she's chocolate mad! Ethelred is introduced into the story rather quickly again. I must admit, I love a mystery that isn't so serious or intense. And this was, while thrilling, an amusing novel. The characters were brilliant, as usual! Only Ethelred sometimes irri ...more
Miss Fox and Mr Bird
Puzzle Doctor
Jun 10, 2015 Puzzle Doctor rated it it was amazing
Read the first book first and you'll enjoy this one immensely. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com.
Selmah Smith
Jan 19, 2015 Selmah Smith rated it liked it
Not quite as much fun as the first in the series but still entertaining.
Karen
Sep 01, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Very silly but quite entertaining.
Jen
What a great story! I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel and look forward to reading the next one, The Herring in the Library. I liked how the point-of-view switched back and forth between Elsie and Ethelred. And I loved the ending. I hope to see many more books from L.C. Tyler featuring these two delightful characters.
Karen
Apr 12, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, mystery
It's a very thoughtful and interesting book, with lots of meta tendencies. It spoofs dissects cozy country mysteries quite well by openly discussing the conventions as well as violating them. A couple of parts were quite funny.

The characters never really come to life though, and fall a little flat. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read the first in the series, since the characterizations in the first book would have carried over.
B Moignard
Feb 10, 2016 B Moignard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So funny! What a wonderful read. 5 stars!
Jeff
Sep 06, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it
A nice amusing read.

Elsie and Ethelred are stuck in a hotel in France when two guests are murdered, one stabbed, the other poisoned. The story also involves some stolen Russian jewels. There are some nice comic touches and the dialogue, especially from Elsie, is very funny in places.

I've met Len Tyler a couple of times at Crimefest when he has signed and lined his books for me. A nice man and very intelligent.
Andrew Hixson
Jul 13, 2015 Andrew Hixson rated it it was ok
Disappointing re-hash of the first-novel.
Stevie Carroll
Dec 07, 2011 Stevie Carroll rated it it was ok
I picked this one up on a librarian's recommendation. While it didn't suffer too badly for being the second in a series I hadn't previously read, it felt a as if it was trying to be a little too clever for my liking. Another in the genre of 'bad things happen to despicable people', which I sometimes thoroughly enjoy, but other times find a little tedious. Not quite my cup of tea.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Jun 16, 2012 Chris Leuchtenburg rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Clever parody of classic, cozy mysteries featuring amateur detectives. Many jocular references to common features of mysteries, some of these clever. Although I enjoyed the book, I found it increasingly tiresome and was glad that it was short. Shorter would have been better. Still, harmless and amusing.
Alexandra Crocodile
Oct 18, 2010 Alexandra Crocodile rated it it was amazing
Really witty and had a really surprising twist at the end. Set in modern times, but still had a very Christie-feel to it. Also made me laugh out loud several times. Definitely reccommended!
Anthony
An enjoyable, often satirical, romp through the crime genre. Very funny in parts.
Bonnie Russell
Dec 28, 2012 Bonnie Russell rated it really liked it
Great sequel to "Herring Sellers Apprentice"...enjoyed the British humor and the cliffhanger at the end.
Karmon
Oct 19, 2011 Karmon rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Enjoyable, but not as strong as the first book.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun!
Adrienne Molloy
Adrienne Molloy rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2016
Sylvia Ford
Sylvia Ford rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
  • The Accomplice
  • Blotto, Twinks, and the Ex-King's Daughter (Blotto and Twinks, #1)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3)
  • River of Shadows
  • Trial and Error
  • The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)
  • Thumbprint
  • Death Mask
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • The Arsenic Labyrinth (Lake District Mystery #3)
  • Miss Marple Omnibus Vol. 3 (Murder at the Vicarage / Nemesis / Sleeping Murder / At Bertram's Hotel)
  • Love in Amsterdam
  • Fallen
  • Skeleton Hill (Peter Diamond, #10)
L. C. Tyler grew up in Essex and studied geography at Jesus College Oxford University and systems analysis at City University in London. During a career with the British Council he lived in Malaysia, Sudan, Thailand and Denmark. More recently he has been based in Islington and West Sussex and is Chief Executive of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. He is married and has two childre ...more
More about L.C. Tyler...

Elsie and Ethelred Mystery (6 books)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • The Herring in the Library
  • Herring on the Nile
  • Crooked Herring
  • Cat Among The Herrings (Elsie and Ethelred, #6)