The Parisian Prodigal

The Parisian Prodigal (Fools' Guild #8)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  28 reviews
“Only a fool would pass this one up.” —Laurie R. King

In 1205, Theophilos—a fool by trade, a family man by choice, and a spy by design—belongs, along with his family, to the Fools’ Guild, a group that secretly maintains the fragile order of society. In Toulouse, that order is threatened when, unexpectedly, a man claiming to be a full brother of the ruling count is found one...more
Published January 19th 2010 by Minotaur Books

Laurie
I love Gordon's books, about a Fool who is foolish yet also deadly serious. Delicious.
Tripleguess
Rick Ludwig
I enjoyed this book of medieval times and investigating jesters. The use of two points of view in telling the story added an excellent depth. This is the most recent book in a series and has stimulated me to go back to the beginning of the series. Humorous and human characters coupled with a nicely woven plot made this a very rewarding read. I always like learning about times and places of which I know little through the conduit of an engaging story. I could have done without the historical foot...more
Chris LaHatte
There is a certain style of books which I suspect is promoted by American creative writing courses, to which this, and probably the rest of the series it forms part of, belong. It has a certain smugness, of the main characters who are cleverer and in on secrets, in a very modern, but definitely not medieval fashion. The whore as all beautiful, the fools are all brilliant acrobats and entertainers and the nobles are either roud and good leaders or somehow sociopathic, but in a modern way. The ana...more
Tig
Interesting characters, the setting is Toulouse, France in 1205. The main character, Theophiles, is the Chief Fool in Toulouse, as well as being a spy and a married man with children. His wife, Claudia, a former Duchess, is also a Fool. They are members of the Fool's Guild, a group that is declared anathema by the Pope. The guild works behind the scenes to stabilize a turbulent Europe.

I liked the plot twists, the humor and the historical details. I did not figure out who did it until almost the...more
Susan
The chief fool of Toulouse must figure out a murder that may threaten the city-state's political stability in the latest Fool's Guild mystery. There's a lot of back story in this, and while it's explained quite well, this is a series that should really be started with the first book and read in order. With the help of his fool-wife, their apprentice (who is posing as their daughter), and various friends, Theophilus deals with the Count of Toulouse and a man who may be his long-lost younger broth...more
Debye
The 8th book in the Fools Guild mysteries did not disappoint. I love the dialogue, the witty banter, the idea of fools & jesters as network of spies. It is really fun and though it's set in the late 12th c and early 13th century, the settings and historical characters are not the usual well-known people and places. It's the smaller settings that are intriguing. I highly recommend.
Traci
I couldn't actually get through this book. Medieval mysteries are not my favorite, but I decided to try this one. I was struggling to get through and it was due back, so I returned it without getting very far. I put it back on my library list in the event I'm desperate for a new author and want to give it another go.
Jayw
Jul 30, 2011 Jayw added it
Dude in a fancy cape arrives in 1200 Toulouse from Paris, claiming he is the Count's secret brother. Soon after, the visitor wakes blood soaked in local brothel with dead whore by his side. Theo the Fool, his wife the bigger fool and apprentice sort out the guilty from innocent in this latest Fool's Guild Mystery.
Kathy Davie
Okay, I have to buy the whole series. Feste and his family of fools dives right into your heart. I hope Alan Gordon isn't done with this series! Feste and Claudia's heartstopping encounters will have you racing through the pages. I hope I can learn something from their q-and-a sessions with their masters!
Wesley Paine
Alan Gordon's Fool Guild Mysteries intrigue me and make me laugh. I love novels set in medieval history, and in these the narrators have their tongues firmly in their cheeks. If you've not read any of the series, start with the first one, Thirteenth Night; after that the order doesn't matter as much.
Mike
Another entertaining chapter in the Jester series. I understand the comment regarding Theo and Claudia's dialog and sensibilities being modern, not medieval, but their relationship and dialog is what makes the series so entertaining to me.
Sally Smith
Another interesting Food's Guild mystery. I appreciate the historical accuracy and the historical notes that the author puts at the end. He takes actual events and then builds a story around it.
Joe Wray
Mr. Gordon may be running out of steam. I was disappointed in this one (still good, but not up to the standards of his previous work).
Fuschia
Jul 10, 2010 Fuschia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fuschia by: library browsing
Liked this, entertaining! Didn't realize was part of a series, will read #7 next (as they seem to be related) then start at #1.
Donna
I enjoyed this series very much. Good Medival mystery series. Hope there will be another book in this Fool's Guild series.
Mike
Very solidly written, a good mystery, and fun characters. I wasn't dazzled, but I was highly entertained. Good book!
Maren
This book was great. A really good addition to the series. I'm sad that there isn't another in the series after it!
Gail
I love the Fools Guild mysteries, especially the repartee between Theo and his wife, Claudia.
Angie
I love this series, and the latest book does not disappoint. I can't wait for the next one!
Bonnie
I love the history and the humor of the tales of this jester and his family in the middle ages.
Susan Beecher
Very entertaining and satisfying mystery: two fools (jesters) in 1200s England.
Anam
Jul 20, 2012 Anam added it
A fun read with a unique combination of witty humor and murder mystery.
Susan
I always thoroughly enjoy these tales. Excellent wit and fun storylines.
Max
This book is making me wish I'd saved my Penguin Dictionary of the Saints.
Kayme Henkel
Another entertaining read from the Fool's Guild!
Theresa
good book. I wish he'd hurry up and write another one

Alan Gordon is the author of the Fools' Guild mysteries. His short fiction and essays have appeared in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, The Drood Review of Mystery and the Medieval Academy Newslet...more
More about Alan Gordon...
Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1) Jester Leaps In (Fools' Guild, #2) A Death in the Venetian Quarter (Fools' Guild, #3) The Widow of Jerusalem (Fools' Guild, #4) An Antic Disposition (Fools' Guild, #5)