Start by marking “The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai, #1)

The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai #1)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  4,872 Ratings  ·  369 Reviews

Washed up on the shores of a mysterious land known to the British as the Japan, twelve-year-old Jack Fletcher is wounded and left for dead.

His father, the navigator of their now shipwrecked vessel, and the entire crew have been slaughtered by ninja pirates. Jack's last remaining possession is his father's rutter, an invaluable book of maps and notes on the world's unchart
Published February 16th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion (first published August 8th 2008)

Ken
Mar 02, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, finished-in-2011
I wish I were the first to notice, but alas, it's obvious and has been noted by others -- author Chris Bradford was channeling Harold Potter when he wrote this book. Replace orphan Harry with orphan Jack Fletcher, moving from Muggle Land to Wizardry with moving from England to feudal Japan (thanks to a shipwreck). In place of Dumbledore, insert Masamoto, Master Samurai, and swap Hogwarts for Niten Ichi Ryu, a venerable school populated not with good and evil professors but with good and evil sen ...more
Kyle
Jan 06, 2015 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

When I first heard about this book, I was like, “WOW talk about a fantasy I’ve had. I so have to read this book!” It sure wasn’t a disappointment either. It’s not very often I find a book that I just can’t put down. Right from the start I was invested in the main character, Jack Fletcher. The whole story and how Jack behaved I could so relate to. So many times in YA novels you read something and go “yeah right! No 12 year old would react like that.” I never felt like that while reading this book

Jerome Lim
May 13, 2013 Jerome Lim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
English boy shipwrecks in Japan get taken in by a Samurai family and learns Kubodo, this should have been right up my street! The only problem is that it's been done before and so much better!

For anyone who has not read James Clavell's Shōgun you will enjoy this as an easy interesting read, but for those of you who have, this will be a poor lackluster copy that boarders on plagiarism!

(view spoiler)
e.c.h.a
Seorang bocah Inggris, Jack Fletcher, berusia 12 tahun, anak dari nahkoda kapal "Alexandria" John Fletcher. Yang karena keadaan harus bertahan hidup di negeri asing bernama Jepang.

Jack, beruntung diselamatkan oleh Keluarga Samurai di daerah Toba, Masamoto. Dalam lingkungan Masamoto lha, Jack belajar banyak. Belajar menjadi seorang samurai dan belajar memahami kehidupan.

Cerita dalam buku ini gampang sekali ditebak bagaimana akhirnya. Tapi itu tak menyurutkan saya untuk melanjutkan membacanya. Pe
MeruChii
The beginning did not grab me immediately and I was prioritising other books over this one but I do admit that I was hooked after few chapters . Since I'm a fan of Japan , this book was really entertaining since it revolves around Japan's traditions and cultures !
Im really grateful for my friend who lend me this book . I might buy the rest of the trilogy :3
The Styling Librarian
The Way of the Warrior by Chris Bradford - Young Samurai Series - This felt like quite the well researched book filled with philosophy in an approachable manner. I really appreciated the perspectives on different cultures shared in the book and actually marked chapter 8 as the perfect chapter to read aloud to introduce world awareness and developing cultural respect and understanding, even when you don't understand what you're doing initially. In another portion of the book, chapter 15, I loved ...more
Mary
Oct 19, 2011 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
From Booklist
In 1611, a British merchant ship bound for “the Japans” is attacked by ninjas, and the lone survivor, 12-year-old Jack Fletcher, is taken into the home of a revered samurai. After dispensing with Jack’s initial sense of being lost in a new culture, the story dives directly into what teenaged boys will be looking for: fighting, and lots of it. The action comes fast, and Bradford writes with the authority of a black belt—which he happens to be—and a genuine respect for the subject. Th
Graylark
May 07, 2015 Graylark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Stopped reading this series at book 4 because it felt like the focus had shifted gradually from fun cool samurai learning and adventures (which is what I was after) to oppressive xenophobia and persecution.
Jane
Feb 19, 2017 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 11+
I have a thing for ninjas okay. So this was cool. Also Japanese samurai and swords and a guy who was some sort of version of Yoda and yes. I enjoyed this.

You could say that it was a slight copy off some other stories - Star Wars, Harry Potter, Karate Kid - but to be honest I liked it anyway and didn't really mind any of those elements.

The main character was quite interesting, but my favourites were probably two of the side characters. Their character arcs were better and heaps more interesting
Jordan
Mar 18, 2014 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book and an interesting look into feudal Japanese culture. I liked the characters and the action. The setting was interesting although I imagine that this is one that is going to develop in later books as Jack's skills develop.

This was obviously written for younger readers and the writing style seems like it will keep them gripped and entertained. I wasn't fond of some of the Japanese terminology, I like how this might increase their interest and knowledge of Japanese culture and persona
Beverly
May 13, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 11-14 year olds
Recommended to Beverly by: indiebound.org nextlist
Okay, so the Young Samurai is Harry Potter with an historical setting and a couple hundred fewer pages. YA readers won't care. The story is every adventure loving kid's fantasy. Set in Shogun era Japan of the late 1500's, Jack is a rigging monkey on his father's ship. When the ship is attacked by pirates, Jack ends up in the Sea of Japan, is rescued by a samurai and sent to an elite samurai training sshool. Of course, it turns out the pirate attack wasn't random, Jack has something the pirates a ...more
Claire
Dec 18, 2008 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the early 1600's this tale tells of Jack, at sea with his father a navigator before maps are generally available and Jack's dad's notebook, called a rutter is violently pursued, leaving Jack an orphan on the coast of Japan. He is taken into the home of a samurai where he slowly learns Japanese and the mysterious ways of his new land. Intrigue imperils Jack as he attempts to make his way. There is a great deal about honor, grief, jealousy, despair, and redemption. Sometimes didactic yet th ...more
Dominic
Nov 05, 2014 Dominic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really interesting story about a boy who gets stranded on Japan. It is about what difficulties he went through when arriving to a totaly foreign place. The plot is very interesting but not so original. It has the same setup as many other books do. With this I mean charackters that basicaly take on the same role as many other charackters do in other books, like for example Harry Potter.
This book is very interesting and it is a very interesting how you feel for and understand how h
Fred Kirchner
Apr 21, 2009 Fred Kirchner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
Disney is putting a lot of money into this book. My guess is they're seeing the potential to assume the power vacuum left vacant by the demise of Potter.

And why not compare this book to Potter? it's got an orphaned protagonist (Jack Fletcher) in a foreign land, exotic locales, and a school setting full of beauty and danger, history and magic. it's also got an evil antagonist that killed Jack's father.

Another reason for the Potter comparison: Young Samurai is freakin' awesome! Poisoned shirukens
Matilda Rose
In the year 1611, a young boy named Jack is on board a ship with his father, searching for new land. But ninjas clamber aboard the ship in search of valuable objects and kill his crew and father. Jack is saved by the legendary samurai warrior Masamoto who adopts him. There he is taken to samurai school where he will have to learn to defend himself against Masamoto's jealous son, Yamato. But with his friend Akiko and quiet companion Yori, Jack is able to fit in at the samurai school and master ba ...more
Mcowie8
May 24, 2015 Mcowie8 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Fletcher is shipwrecked on the coast of Japan, his father and the crew of the ship have all been slaughtered by ninjas, except for him. Luckily Jack is saved by a legendary sword master: Masamota Takeshi. Masamota adopts him and begins training him through the punishing physical and mental ways needed to be the samurai, hoping one day he can be the first gajin samurai. And so that maybe one day he can seek revenge on Dokugan Ryu, the one-eyed ninja that murdered his father.
Angelic Zaizai
Oct 06, 2009 Angelic Zaizai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jepang-flavour

satu lagi buku berbau samurai yang ditulis oleh orang bule.. :D

menyenangkan bacanya, ada samurai, ada ninja, ada anak jahil tukang gencet sesama murid, ada anak bule yang belajar jadi samurai

suka deh..
paling lucu di sini digambarin, orang bule (inggris) males mandi karena
dianggap bisa bikin sakit.. jadinya si Jack dipaksa2 mandi karena bauu hihihi

Aaron Jung
Sep 16, 2014 Aaron Jung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Fletcher, a young teenager who washed up on Japan’s shores after a brutal ship raid, must readjust and learn the new life style and culture that surrounds him. This book deals with many struggles that students can relate to. For example the book contains the struggle of fitting in, proving one’s self, and success.
Tammy Huynh
Feb 04, 2013 Tammy Huynh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Bradford had started out an amazing series with an amazing book! I personally loved it because of all the action and all that was being told. I literally fell in love with this series once I finished with, 'The Ring of Sky' I really think that there should be a sequel!
Mary Claire
This was a good book over all, but I had to read over 200 pages before I started to like it. After the 200 pages went by, though, the book got consistently better and I think I will read the others books in the series.
Jake
Jun 06, 2012 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an extremely good book. I liked how adventure was always around the corner. I liked that the main characters are daring and always ready for a fight.
Charlene Varry
Nov 26, 2016 Charlene Varry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a positive number one book for me. This is for YA or younger but that didn't stop me from enjoying this story at all. Here is Jack Fletcher a 12 year is old on board the Alexandria from England to Japan. His father has the rutter (a book that shows how to get to Japan which is rare indeed at this time since the Dutch are the only ones who know how to get there). Jack has become a Monkey on board, meaning he can scale the rigging extremely well. They have come into many storms but t ...more
Joanne
Mar 24, 2017 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was honoured to meet Chris Bradford on a school visit. He talked about Bodyguard, which also appealed to me, but I saw this! Although I'd prefer if there was some extra romance in it, I thought the book was quite interesting. The main character is amazing, and I think the plot is quite unique. I'm a person who's studied a bit of Japanese culture before, and I found it fun to see similarities in this book to what I've learnt!
Patrick
A castaway English kid gets semi-adopted by a Samurai clan in feudal Japan. It's fun. The speed which he learns the Japanese language and the fact that any of the extremely nationalistic Japanese accept him are convenient for the plot, but it makes for a good YA historical fiction story. I'll read the next in the series.
Nina
Mar 07, 2017 Nina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read, and great introduction to the trilogy and the 5 books after. The setting is mesmerising, and accurate the culture of the time. One of my favourite book series out there.
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 Soho_Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
I've always loved Japan and the Japanese, as the structure in their society and the respect they have for each other has always appealed to me. Unfortunately, I have never been able to master any of the martial arts, but I find reading about the society and their artists is a fair compromise, as I get to enjoy the excitement of being a great warrior, without needing to go through any of the hard work to actually become one.

Jack Fletcher doesn't have this option, as after ninja pirates on the coa
Advey Rastogi
Feb 05, 2017 Advey Rastogi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a very interesting book because it showed you a real insight of all the customs and ancient arts of Japan.
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
The Young Samurai series is a series I don't think I would've picked up before, let alone read. However, when I was sent the eighth book in the series to review, the last book, I thought it looked quite interesting. However, I always have to read a series in chronological order, meaning I had to try and accumulate the other seven books in the series. I have five of them so far, and here is my review for book one, The Way of the Warrior.

The Way of the Warrior is about Jack Fletcher, a twelve yea
DATboiAndres
Feb 19, 2017 DATboiAndres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you are an English Explorer who explores the sea with your dad. Imagine your job is hard and ruthless that very little can complete. You so happen to a boy named jack who is visiting Japan with his father and his crew on their ship. This book is “Young Samurai, Way of The Warrior”. It is the first book in its series and Is written by Chris Bradford and published in 2008. This book is an adventure book with intensity, action, and cliffhangers.
“Way of The Warrior” is set in 1609 in a vi
Lyrical
Jul 23, 2011 Lyrical rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to come straight out and say I'm immensely excited to be reviewing the Young Samurai books, this is a massive undertaking for me because these books are the only books so far that have come close to stirring in me the same feelings that Harry Potter did so I want to do them justice. So, I'm getting the spurting on about how much I love the books over right now so you might actually get to read about why, to me, The Way Of The Warrior is such a great book. Here we go: I LOVE YOUNG SAMUR ...more
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • In Darkness, Death (Samurai Detective, #3)
  • The Revelation (Animorphs, #45)
Chris Bradford is the bestselling author of the Young Samurai, Ninja and Bodyguard Series.

Chris is renowned for his inspiring author events and ‘method writing’ style. For his award-winning Young Samurai series, he trained in samurai swordmanship, karate, ninjutsu and earned his black belt in Zen Kyu Shin Taijutsu. For his BODYGUARD series, Chris embarked on an intensive close protection course to
More about Chris Bradford...

Young Samurai (8 books)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • The Ring of Earth (Young Samurai, #4)
  • The Ring of Water (Young Samurai, #5)
  • The Ring of Fire (Young Samurai, #6)
  • The Ring of Wind (Young Samurai, #7)
  • The Ring of Sky (Young Samurai, #8)

“Tomorrow’s victory is today’s practice.” 50 likes
“Revenge is self-defeating. It will eat away you until there is nothing left.” 37 likes