Start by marking “Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child” as Want to Read:
Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child

Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Grow a secure attachment with your children by listening to your heart
Popularized by bestselling pediatrician Dr. William Sears, "attachment parenting" encourages mothers and fathers to fully accept their babies' dependency needs. According to the growing numbers of attachment parenting advocates, consistent parental responsiveness to these needs leads to happy and emoti
Published August 1st 1999 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Attachment Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attachment Parenting

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May GaskinThe Baby Book by William SearsThe Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci GoerWhat to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi MurkoffTaking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
Books for Expectant Parents
21st out of 175 books — 112 voters
What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveAttached at the Heart by Barbara NicholsonPlayful Parenting by Lawrence J. CohenThe Attachment Parenting Book by William SearsAttachment Parenting by Katie Allison Granju
Attachment Parenting
5th out of 61 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Evelyn
This book has some great things to say. As with pretty much every baby / parenting book I read, there are things I agree with and things I don't. I don't agree with AP's hardcore stance on things like the family bed, and wish they would calm down their inflammatory vocabulary choices (crib = "babycage" p.36). AP is all about breastfeeding on cue or on demand, and pretty much gives the impression that if you don't breastfeed, you're a terrible mother. I DO plan to nurse (hopefully for at least a ...more
Samantha
I bought this book looking to understand what exactly "attachment parenting" means in practice, but I didn't feel like I really learned all that much. I found myself skimming the majority of the book, as much time was spent on justifying (what I thought was) commonsense/obvious reasoning behind the different recommendations, and not enough time was spent on the actual recommendations themselves (with the continuous cop-out that the author does not know your family and therefore cannot make speci ...more
Courtney
From the title alone it should be clear that this book is encouraging a specific style of parenting. If you are new to the foundational principles of gentle parenting, this book will spell them out for you very clearly and will use some research to back up its suggestions. Much of the focus of the book is on breastfeeding, baby wearing, and co-sleeping/sleep training. It gives advice in all of these areas. It does not, however, do much to address the concerns that have been raised around these i ...more
Melody
Parenting/Family
I was so grateful for having read this book before having my baby. It helped me to look further into the future, to see the kind of relationship that I hoped for with my child.
Inder
Oct 05, 2009 Inder marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting
I need to stop reading this parenting crap (among other problems, it all seems to say the SAME THING) and get back to some Victorian novels. Back to the library ... and the "to-read" list.
Amy
At first I was a bit turned off by the tone of this book--the authors definitely have an agenda and that agenda is to sell you on attachment parenting practices and principles. That being said, I think there are some great suggestions for people who want to parent this way. From breastfeeding beyond the first year, to the pros and cons of different sling types and baby carriers, this book is chalked full of information. It is also contains an enormous amount of outside references and resources. ...more
Dara
Jun 02, 2008 Dara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Expectant Parents and Parents
This would be a very good introduction to attachment parenting, if it were not for the author's decision to use (hilariously!) loaded language to describe other methods and tools of parenting. Some choice examples include, "artificial baby milk" instead of the more neutral (and perfectly well understood) "formula" and "baby cages" to describe cribs. This tactic actually weakens her argument and plays into the hands of those who would paint AP parents as extremist. That said, if you can read thos ...more
E.d.
To the point with tons of academic references to convince you that attachment parenting is the way to go.
Jen
Feb 28, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: New parents who want to explore other options of parenting than what our cultural norms promote...
Recommended to Jen by: A neighbor
I absolutely loved this book. Being a new parent, I was searching for philosphies that felt natural to my instincts for raising our new little one. This book offered many explanations and reasonings to the way I was already parenting. What I appreciated most about this book was that it made me question and think about parenting philosophies, without making me feel that there is an absolute "right" or "wrong" way. In the end, I felt it was a valuable source of information.
Julie
dr. sears popularized the concepts from this book in his "attachment parenting" series. though i respect sears and like his books, i'd recommend reading this first. it is so well-researched and documented. the information on breastfeeding alone is worth the purchase of this book. she writes with warmth and wisdom and espouses a parenting philosophy that is humane (as opposed to other "experts" who emphasize a strict, power-based rewards and punishments system).
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
Aug 27, 2008 joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new parents and parents-to-be
Shelves: parenting
i have to say, i did not set out to be an "attachment" parent, but it is indeed the way my instincts tell me to parent. this book is great! it spends a lot of time on the various ways that attachment parenting eases new baby care, and includes well-researched sections on feeding, babywearing, cosleeping, and more. the book was written and organized well and easy to read, even for a new mommy with a choppy reading schedule. i highly recommend it.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2009 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby
This was an interesting intro to attachment parenting. While much of it seemed to be common sense and lifted from other resources (such as anything by Dr. Sears) it was a simple and fast read. I think this would be a great resource for new parents looking for an explanation of attachment parenting. However, for those looking for clear evidence rather than biased anecdotes, another book may be more appropriate.
Tasha
Great, quick read on the basics with good reasoning (I think). This parenting style resonated with how I already intuitively want to parent.
Christine
Although I generally support an attachment-parenting philosophy, I found this book to be another annoying parenting manual --- less preachy than many others, but preachy nonetheless. The book is mainly on breastfeeding with much shorter sections on other aspects of attachment parenting. I also think that the book incorrectly de-emphasizes stay-at-home parenting as a significant aspect of attachment parenting.
Leahjoypro
I learned so much from this book, but also had the feeling that much of it was something I already knew and felt in my heart, but got reassurance of (and research to back it up!) by reading this book. I wish I had read it earlier, when I was still in the stages of early parenting with my first. I particularly enjoyed the special articles inserted throughout the book from various authorities in the field.
Faye
A nice, easy to read overview of attachment parenting with fabulous information on breastfeeding and recommended resources. I am a devoted follower of attachment parenting, but I found Granju's tone a bit off-putting at times. I wish she would have provided references to a lot of the claims, such as that studies have found correlations between IQ and breastfeeding duration.

Rachel
I read this when my eldest was a baby. There is a lot of good info in this book, but Granju's tone is preachy at times. I really cannot see someone new to attachment parenting being convinced by this book-- if anything, it might be off-putting to new parents who are trying to learn about attachment parenting. I would recommend any of William and Martha Sears' books over this one.
Lisa C
Jun 13, 2008 Lisa C rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: expectant parents/parents of young children
Shelves: parenting
I'm totally sold on attachment parenting after reading this book. I want to read more on the subject, though, because this book felt very incomplete. It talks a lot about breastfeeding/nursing! It also talks about co-sleeping and babywearing, but little about other parenting issues.
Heather
I LOVED this book (although it was certainly very biased, and the information on circumcision is now outdated - the AAP has withdrawn it's support of the cited study). The language is a little pushy at times but I still really enjoyed it and found it very informative.
Maggie
Aug 17, 2008 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
Good introduction to AP. Always things to agree with or disagree with, but generally I liked it and it gave me a few things to think about. Especially baby wearing... loved that information!http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/...#
[close]
Kristyn
The most valuable and interesting parts of this book include the anthropological studies and the book and media resources. As a parent, it helps to get a wide range of beliefs and practices in order to think through parenting choices/styles.
Lynde
this is the greatest AP book. it gives supportive research evidence. if anyone is pregnant, read this book. you'll see how simple it is to connect, and make this world a more peaceful place
Mindee Boling
I love that this book teaches how to meet your baby's needs so that they grow up to be an emotionally sound adult. This approach also nurtures the relationship between baby and family.
Kate Ditzler
Not as good instructional as the Dr. Sears' Attachment Parenting Book -- though, if you'd like to focus on breastfeeding as part of attachment parenting, this is your book.
MichelleMarie
Aug 05, 2007 MichelleMarie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who want a deeper communication with their children
this is a good overview of a parenting style that advocates a deep bond between parent/child...it encourages communication (yes even with a newborn)
Maureen
a good review of the basic principles of attachment parenting... a perfect introduction to the practices for a parent to be.
Kate
I was looking for new information, but most of this I had already heard or it was common sense.
Danielle
well-documented

interesting

good information

inflammatory language - eg "baby cage"
Anastasia
Dec 22, 2007 Anastasia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want a deeo bond with their children
Great information and overview, but not passionate or particularly inspiring.
Carol
An excellent book for new parents!!! It gave me great information.
  • The Attachment Parenting Book: A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure and Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts are Bad for Business
Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion