Start by marking “Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child” as Want to Read:
Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child

Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child

Grow a secure attachment with your children by listening to your heart
Popularized by bestselling pediatrician Dr. William Sears, "attachment parenting" encourages mothers and fathers to fully accept their babies' dependency needs. According to the growing numbers of attachment parenting advocates, consistent parental responsiveness to these needs leads to happy and emoti
Published August 1st 1999 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Attachment Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attachment Parenting

Alana Garnica
Feb 09, 2017 Alana Garnica rated it it was ok
I would say for the most part I am an attachment parent
..I co sleep..I breastfeed on demand...I cloth diaper I carry my baby in a sling...but this book is very judgemental....I use bottles and have used formula when my supply dropped and I needed to cover a few feeding gs here and there...and I work....so this book makes it seem like I'm a bad mom for doing those things ...and some of the language....calling a crib a baby cage? really? my baby loves napping in his crib. ..maybe it's cause this b
Evelyn
Aug 03, 2008 Evelyn rated it liked it
This book has some great things to say. As with pretty much every baby / parenting book I read, there are things I agree with and things I don't. I don't agree with AP's hardcore stance on things like the family bed, and wish they would calm down their inflammatory vocabulary choices (crib = "babycage" p.36). AP is all about breastfeeding on cue or on demand, and pretty much gives the impression that if you don't breastfeed, you're a terrible mother. I DO plan to nurse (hopefully for at least a ...more
Melody
Dec 17, 2008 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
Parenting/Family
I was so grateful for having read this book before having my baby. It helped me to look further into the future, to see the kind of relationship that I hoped for with my child.
Inder
Aug 17, 2009 Inder marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting
I need to stop reading this parenting crap (among other problems, it all seems to say the SAME THING) and get back to some Victorian novels. Back to the library ... and the "to-read" list.
Kayli Knowles
Oct 30, 2016 Kayli Knowles rated it it was ok
This book is very judgmental to any parenting practice that does not fall under their strict outline of attachment parenting. While I do love and follow some of the guidelines because they feel natural for me, it demonizes every practice that goes against it. The tone of the book claims to know what's best for every parent and every baby.
Caitlinleah
Feb 26, 2017 Caitlinleah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, babies
Still need to read Dr sears original, but this is a good AP book. Way more understanding and less judgy than most. (Ugh, beyond the sling) it has a use what works for your family and there's nothing wrong with working moms disclaimer.
Samantha
Sep 22, 2014 Samantha rated it it was ok
I bought this book looking to understand what exactly "attachment parenting" means in practice, but I didn't feel like I really learned all that much. I found myself skimming the majority of the book, as much time was spent on justifying (what I thought was) commonsense/obvious reasoning behind the different recommendations, and not enough time was spent on the actual recommendations themselves (with the continuous cop-out that the author does not know your family and therefore cannot make speci ...more
Amy
Jun 22, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
At first I was a bit turned off by the tone of this book--the authors definitely have an agenda and that agenda is to sell you on attachment parenting practices and principles. That being said, I think there are some great suggestions for people who want to parent this way. From breastfeeding beyond the first year, to the pros and cons of different sling types and baby carriers, this book is chalked full of information. It is also contains an enormous amount of outside references and resources. ...more
Courtney
Mar 26, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
From the title alone it should be clear that this book is encouraging a specific style of parenting. If you are new to the foundational principles of gentle parenting, this book will spell them out for you very clearly and will use some research to back up its suggestions. Much of the focus of the book is on breastfeeding, baby wearing, and co-sleeping/sleep training. It gives advice in all of these areas. It does not, however, do much to address the concerns that have been raised around these i ...more
Dara
Jun 02, 2008 Dara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Expectant Parents and Parents
This would be a very good introduction to attachment parenting, if it were not for the author's decision to use (hilariously!) loaded language to describe other methods and tools of parenting. Some choice examples include, "artificial baby milk" instead of the more neutral (and perfectly well understood) "formula" and "baby cages" to describe cribs. This tactic actually weakens her argument and plays into the hands of those who would paint AP parents as extremist. That said, if you can read thos ...more
Jennifer Caples
Nov 29, 2015 Jennifer Caples rated it it was amazing
This book makes me feel so validated in how I am choosing to parent my son. I was concerned I was doing too much especially when hubby says I'm spoiling him; but this book shows it is a new concept to have your baby away from you so much of the day in baby "cages" (cribs/strollers/swings). It is the historical and natural norm to keep your baby with you constantly. Love it!!! Definitely read if you are making decisions on how to raise your child.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: baby
This was an interesting intro to attachment parenting. While much of it seemed to be common sense and lifted from other resources (such as anything by Dr. Sears) it was a simple and fast read. I think this would be a great resource for new parents looking for an explanation of attachment parenting. However, for those looking for clear evidence rather than biased anecdotes, another book may be more appropriate.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
Aug 27, 2008 joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new parents and parents-to-be
Shelves: parenting
i have to say, i did not set out to be an "attachment" parent, but it is indeed the way my instincts tell me to parent. this book is great! it spends a lot of time on the various ways that attachment parenting eases new baby care, and includes well-researched sections on feeding, babywearing, cosleeping, and more. the book was written and organized well and easy to read, even for a new mommy with a choppy reading schedule. i highly recommend it.
Julie
Jan 16, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
dr. sears popularized the concepts from this book in his "attachment parenting" series. though i respect sears and like his books, i'd recommend reading this first. it is so well-researched and documented. the information on breastfeeding alone is worth the purchase of this book. she writes with warmth and wisdom and espouses a parenting philosophy that is humane (as opposed to other "experts" who emphasize a strict, power-based rewards and punishments system).
Leahjoypro
Aug 07, 2008 Leahjoypro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I learned so much from this book, but also had the feeling that much of it was something I already knew and felt in my heart, but got reassurance of (and research to back it up!) by reading this book. I wish I had read it earlier, when I was still in the stages of early parenting with my first. I particularly enjoyed the special articles inserted throughout the book from various authorities in the field.
Jen
Feb 28, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New parents who want to explore other options of parenting than what our cultural norms promote...
Recommended to Jen by: A neighbor
I absolutely loved this book. Being a new parent, I was searching for philosphies that felt natural to my instincts for raising our new little one. This book offered many explanations and reasonings to the way I was already parenting. What I appreciated most about this book was that it made me question and think about parenting philosophies, without making me feel that there is an absolute "right" or "wrong" way. In the end, I felt it was a valuable source of information.
Christine
Jan 13, 2011 Christine rated it it was ok
Although I generally support an attachment-parenting philosophy, I found this book to be another annoying parenting manual --- less preachy than many others, but preachy nonetheless. The book is mainly on breastfeeding with much shorter sections on other aspects of attachment parenting. I also think that the book incorrectly de-emphasizes stay-at-home parenting as a significant aspect of attachment parenting.
Faye
Jul 19, 2007 Faye rated it liked it
A nice, easy to read overview of attachment parenting with fabulous information on breastfeeding and recommended resources. I am a devoted follower of attachment parenting, but I found Granju's tone a bit off-putting at times. I wish she would have provided references to a lot of the claims, such as that studies have found correlations between IQ and breastfeeding duration.

Rachel
Jan 30, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I read this when my eldest was a baby. There is a lot of good info in this book, but Granju's tone is preachy at times. I really cannot see someone new to attachment parenting being convinced by this book-- if anything, it might be off-putting to new parents who are trying to learn about attachment parenting. I would recommend any of William and Martha Sears' books over this one.
Maggie
Aug 06, 2008 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Good introduction to AP. Always things to agree with or disagree with, but generally I liked it and it gave me a few things to think about. Especially baby wearing... loved that information!http://www.goodreads.com/review/edit/...#
[close]
Heather
Feb 11, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book (although it was certainly very biased, and the information on circumcision is now outdated - the AAP has withdrawn it's support of the cited study). The language is a little pushy at times but I still really enjoyed it and found it very informative.
Heather
Jan 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
While I agree with many of the concepts this book discusses, I think the authors harp too long on reasons readers might not agree with the concepts presented. They are also very judgey and redundant - too much theory (without any real science to back it up) and not enough practicable advice. Boo.
Kristyn
Aug 17, 2011 Kristyn rated it really liked it
The most valuable and interesting parts of this book include the anthropological studies and the book and media resources. As a parent, it helps to get a wide range of beliefs and practices in order to think through parenting choices/styles.
Lisa C
Jun 13, 2008 Lisa C rated it liked it
Recommends it for: expectant parents/parents of young children
Shelves: parenting
I'm totally sold on attachment parenting after reading this book. I want to read more on the subject, though, because this book felt very incomplete. It talks a lot about breastfeeding/nursing! It also talks about co-sleeping and babywearing, but little about other parenting issues.
MichelleMarie
Aug 01, 2007 MichelleMarie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents who want a deeper communication with their children
this is a good overview of a parenting style that advocates a deep bond between parent/child...it encourages communication (yes even with a newborn)
Natalie
Dec 03, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Sears' book is more comprehensive. This is sound-bite-ish.
Kate Ditzler
Mar 09, 2011 Kate Ditzler rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Not as good instructional as the Dr. Sears' Attachment Parenting Book -- though, if you'd like to focus on breastfeeding as part of attachment parenting, this is your book.
Maureen
Jun 12, 2009 Maureen rated it really liked it
a good review of the basic principles of attachment parenting... a perfect introduction to the practices for a parent to be.
Danielle
Apr 29, 2009 Danielle rated it liked it
well-documented

interesting

good information

inflammatory language - eg "baby cage"
Mindee Boling
Feb 18, 2010 Mindee Boling rated it really liked it
I love that this book teaches how to meet your baby's needs so that they grow up to be an emotionally sound adult. This approach also nurtures the relationship between baby and family.
  • The Attachment Parenting Book : A Commonsense Guide to Understanding and Nurturing Your Baby
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure & Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • How Weaning Happens
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves