Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used

Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  698 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The second edition of the "consultant's bible" is here!
For over fifteen years, consultants--both internal and external--have relied on Peter Block's landmark bestseller, Flawless Consulting, to learn how to deal effectively with clients, peers, and others. Using illustrative examples, case studies, and exercises, the author, one of the most important and well known in his...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 400 pages
Published September 29th 1999 by Pfeiffer & Company (first published June 12th 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Flawless Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flawless Consulting

The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton M. ChristensenFlawless Consulting by Peter BlockThe Secrets of Consulting by Gerald M. WeinbergBusiness Doctors by Sameer KamatAre Your Lights On? by Donald C. Gause
Best on Consulting
2nd out of 109 books — 19 voters
Executive Coaching by Richard R. KilburgThe Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick LencioniThe Executive Guide to Improvement and Change by G. Dennis BeecroftFierce Conversations by Susan ScottFlawless Consulting by Peter Block
Organizational Development reading
5th out of 7 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
I read this book in consulting class. This is a great resource for not only consultants but also basically anyone who works with other people, as this book discusses the soft skills required to build successful working relationships. A great deal of focus is placed on the relationship between consultant and client, from the contracting stage all the way to implementation.

Peter Block discusses different types of roles that consultants may take, such as that of an expert, an extra pair of hands,...more
Ankur Gupta
This book provides valuable and *comprehensive* insights into the various phases of consulting. The author says that Flawless consulting essentially boils down to 1) Being authentic and 2)Completing every stage of the engagement with diligence. The level of detail into every aspect of a consultant's role - what consultants typically do and what they ought to do is very helpful. It sometimes borders on presenting a Utopic picture of the same, but it is good to establish a picture of an "ideal sta...more
Roger Williams
Flawless Consulting is a valuable read for not only consultants, but anyone who has to influence authority in their organization (hint: that's pretty much everybody in ITSM and/or BPM).

Block identifies three goals for every consulting engagement
- Establish a collaborative relationship to maximize the use of resources and model how to effectively solve problems
- Solve problems so they stay solved by building the ability of the client to address root causes
- Ensure attention is given to both the p...more
Bart Breen
Basic Human Relations

As a contractor/consultant on my second long-term assignment, this title caught my eye and served for listening on the commute.

Overall I was impressed. Much of what is presented is common sense and deals with the simple themes of professional and personal integtity.

To put it simply, it focuses upon those things you can control as a consultant and provides a basis upon which to minimize the things you cannot control.

Success can only ultimately be measured by the things you co...more
Pamela
So far so good, and I think this book is written for professionals who already have competencies for working with people in consulting. I also think if you want to read this book keep in mind this book has a companion book too! The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook & Companion A Guide To Understanding Your Expertise. Peter Block, who has focused attention on consulting skills, empowerment processes, and reclaiming our individuality.

As these books will guide a professional to know all the stages...more
Brian
Peter Block’s “Flawless Consulting Second Edition” is an outstanding book and I recommend it for anybody who is ever asked for advice. Consulting skills are not limited to people with a consultant title but anybody who helps others but has no authority over the outcome of their advice. Leaders, project managers, church elders, event planners, and many others will find benefit in this book.

I bought this book because I am an internal consultant. I had a coach challenge me to define my role as a co...more
Scott Taylor
A general consulting book. This book has sections about industries such as management, technology, health care, and education. Because numerous industries are covered, the methods are more generalized than may be wanted for specific scenarios. For example, technology consulting requires some fairly fine tuned methodologies that stem from computer science disciplines and technological implementations. With that being said, learning how consulting in different disciplines and industries compare is...more
Shyamashree Rudra
I have to admit that I really liked Peter Block's "Flawless Consulting". This book was originally written in 1978, and then revised in 1998. I expected the book to be dated and irrelevant, but it wasn't. The concepts that Block wrote about many years ago are still very much applicable today.
Having been a consultant for 6 years, I especially liked this book because it focuses on the style of consulting I like (or rather liked!) to do -- improving the capability of the client to find and implemen...more
Paul Signorelli
Peter Block, in "Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used," eloquently explores the roles that internal and external consultants both play: “The core transaction of any consulting contract is the transfer of expertise from the consultant to the client.”

“Most people in staff roles in organizations are really consultants, even if they don’t officially call themselves ‘consultants,’” Block maintains. “Staff people function in any organization by planning, recommending, assisting...more
Bob Wallner
Dec 09, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Consultants
I listened to the 9+ hour unabridged Audible version of Flawless Consulting.

This book content-wise is everything I expected. Content of this book is fantastic. The online resources are excellent. Stories and experience excellent. Gave me a lot to think about as I start trying to develop my consulting business.

I read the reviews on Audible about the narrator being very difficult to listen to - unfortunately the reviews were accurate. I cannot describe what was so bad other than he over-enunciat...more
Alex
We read this for my consulting class. Block is particularly brilliant in managing the consultation meeting. His idea of the "collaborative consultant," as well as his framing of consultants as making an impact without control, are invaluable. We supplemented his "feedback meeting" by making it even more collaborative by asking the client at every turn if he is getting what he/she wants, rather than only asking at the 50% mark. This method ensures that both client and consultant realize that chan...more
Phil Ouellette
A great framework for anyone wanting to alter their understanding of their role in an organization.
Lckeller
My first audio book. Thanks for the recommendation of Audible, JSB!
Kara
This book has a lot of great ideas and strategies to help any business professional who works in a partnership role. If you need to convince people to do things the way you want, but have no control over that actually happening, this is a must read. Some of it seems like common sense, but it's articulated in a way that makes you think about things in a new light. It's written textbook style, so don't expect a particularly riviting read, but the material makes the time worthwhile.
Ronnie Murrill
A great book for aspiring consultants that covers the basics of working effectively.
Joseph
I just finished reading the 1982 version and as a non-consultant, I really liked the way this book lays out the logic for approaching just about any situation. The emphasis is on the process for communication and how to use that communication to achieve the results you are looking for. These are skills that serve anyone in just about any situation. I found the concepts practical, engaging and useful.
Kate
It may look like any other business book on the outside, but Block goes above and beyond by covering the social and emotional aspects of working as a change agent who doesn't have direct control over implemention. His message will ring true for business consultants, non-profit sector folks, advocates, counselors and clergy.

If that sounds you, go read this book TODAY.
Gajula Praveen Kumar Naidu
"Recommended by my friend. He says it's an amazing book not only for consultants but for anyone that wants to share their expertise with others. The author is of the opinion that "you're consulting anytime you are trying to change or improve a situation but have no control over the implementation." Excellent Read. Ready to use the learnings! :)"
Meg
This is actually a really useful book, although I wish there was more information about concluding the consulting relationship. Even if you're not officially a consultant, this has great tips for effectively managing a project over which you officially have no control.
Christyna
I had a newer copy and found it invaluable to my practice. I lent it out two years ago and have only just replaced it with this score from Amazon's marketplace. I am looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with this book!
JoAnn
Contains valuable insight regarding some of the more difficult dynamics in client/consultant relationships. Practical and written with a light-hearted touch. Includes a chapter on internal consulting.
Tim
Nice and basic. Easy to read. Strong emphasis on the "soft-side" of consulting engagements and interaction with clients, as opposed to other books I've read which are more technical in nature.
Will Mosher
If you're already an experienced consultant I'm not sure how useful it would be, but it is a great overview/introduction to the field (and free of "execuspeak").
Meredith
I'm always hard-pressed to find value in qualitative books about business "soft skills." However, I did appreciate the focus on remaining authentic with clients.
Lindsay
This book is really basic, which is good for peoples in different industries. Would have like to have read more procedural steps and processes
Leo
This is a powerful understanding of people, cultures and psychology at work... own on audible and listen to often... it's worth the knowledge space!
David7466
It's pretty repetetive and I've only just begun. I think this is something that could have been condensed to a booklet or pamphlet.
John Fletcher
Great book on client and consultant relationships. Pretty intellectual but it does have good insights. I plan to review it.
Lori
Really enjoyed this book coming from the corporate world and now consulting. It provided great ideas that I can use now.
Liz
In a very easy and clear way, Block gives us a first approach on consulting in several industries, areas, etc. Very useful.
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • The McKinsey Mind: Understanding and Implementing the Problem-Solving Tools and Management Techniques of the World's Top Secret Consulting
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • On Competition
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really is
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Managing for Results
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
Community: The Structure of Belonging The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise The Empowered Manager: Positive Political Skills at Work