Start by marking “Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers” as Want to Read:
Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  6,669 ratings  ·  157 reviews
The man Business Week calls "the ultimate entrepreneur for the Information Age" explains "Permission Marketing"—the groundbreaking concept that enables marketers to shape their message so that consumers will willingly accept it.

Whether it is the TV commercial that breaks into our favorite program, or the telemarketing phone call that disrupts a family dinner, tra
Published May 6th 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Permission Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permission Marketing

Jamie Belanger
When I see an interesting book on business or marketing at my local library, the first thing I check after reading the jacket is the publication date. Seeing that this book was published in 1999 didn't give me much confidence in it. In computer terms, 1999 is practically the Stone Age. Granted, I remember the Internet back then, since I started using networked computer systems in the late 80s and started surfing the web in 1995. So in some ways, this book was a little bit of nostalgia.

Permission
Chris
I found it rather amusing how the book started off with the example of how you're supposed to think of marketing as asking for a date rather than attempting to propose marriage right off the bat. There's an endless supply of books and tomes out there trying to explain how you're supposed to get a date and how hard it truly is. Permission Marketing doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to get that initial attention and wowing factor although it does go into well how you should be building a ...more
Roland
Being an old book a lot of information is a bit outdated.
For one, AOL, AltaVista are gone, Yahoo! was replaced by Google.
Banners and pop-ups are still with us.

However the basic concept is still valid. I've read many reviews where people complain about Godin not writing anything "new", that the whole permission marketing idea is thousands years old - as he himself points out a few times in the book, it was the norm until about a 100 years ago -, and this is all intuitive, nothing new there.

But if
Ahmed Korayem
Repetition, repetition, and guess what again ??? Repetition. This is my first time to rate a book with a single star. The concept of permission marketing was very well explained at the very beginning of the book, and i was fascinated by the way Seth explained the evolution of marketing from one to one approaches to mass campaigns. After that, the book gave nothing new.
Tanya
I think one of the biggest problems facing marketers who are using social media is not learning the tools themselves but in how to use the tools. I used to say when I was teaching social media that my students did not need to be afraid of Twitter. They already have the knowledge of how to market, this was just a new tool. It was like they were building a home with a hammer, and now they have a new tool of an electric nail gun. As soon as they learn to use it they will be okay.

While I still feel
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.

Everyday we are bombarded with ads from literally every company, brand, product and service. Every advert uses every possible medium where the targeted ROI is hoped to reach new record levels. And if there is any strategy, science or style that would increase this level by even an iota, you can be rest assured everyone else on the planet would jump the bandwagon to slurp out the last living possibility.

In this competitive, confusin
Alex
When I finished this book, I tore out the last page and posted it by my desk as a future guide. This book is a bit older at this point (1999 I believe), but some of his predictions were prescient and the principles are timeless. Basically, don't be an annoying fuck while marketing. A lot of it simply plays to people's inherent self-interest, too: "Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean he isn't selfish! Make yourself a little sign and post it on your wall. America's favorite radio s ...more
Socialbookshelves.com
Permission Marketing is the marketing book to rule all marketing books, the one book that you should be sure to read before all others and which you should re-read every year if you hope to ever sell a product. Godin revolutionised the way we think about marketing – no longer is it about getting your message out in front of people in any way possible. Now, you need to seek the permission of consumers before you contact them.

In some cases, this is actually a legal requirement – think of the CAN S
George Thompson
Permission Marketing, by Seth Godin, was an extremely insightful marketing book that taught me very important marketing principles which have never crossed my mind before. For those of you who are reading my review, it would help to understand that I am a high school student, thus my experience and knowledge in the field of marketing is limited compared to a person who has had experience in the business world, thus my ideas in this review may seem incorrect or uninformed due to my lack of experi ...more
T.L. Cooper
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin had been on my reading list for a very long time after a couple of people recommended it to me and I'd seen it referenced as describing the "right" way to market. Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical, but reading this book made me realize why I hate so much of the marketing we see today. While this book is a how-to book about marketing strategy, I have to admit the techniques within sounded a bit manipulative to me. I'm a straightforward kind of person, and I truly do ...more
Calin Biris
Permission Marketing is to Inbound Marketing, what Darth Vader is to Luke Skywalker. A must read for starters in Online Marketing.
Matthew
Excellent book on marketing, but unfortunately all of his examples are painfully dated. Given the popularity this book has established, Godin would do well to re-release an updated version.
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "As clutter has increased, advertisers have responded by increasing clutter. And as with pollution, because no one owns the problem, no one is working very hard to solve it."

2- "In addition to clutter, there's another problem facing marketers. Consumers don't need to care as much as they used to. The quality of products has increased dramatically It's increased so much, in fact, that it doesn't really matter which car y
James Perkins
Groundbreaking when it was written, this book is now looking more than a little dated. Published even before the dot-com bubble burst at the tail end of the twentieth century, very few of the businesses mentioned still exist, and those that have lasted have been using these ideas for more than a decade, so this material no longer looks like advice, but simply a description of what many companies are already doing. Mr Godin made some rather outlandish predictions that never came true - for exampl ...more
Amy
Very simply, permission marketing gets customers to ask for information, and then provides them with continued, relevant communication. Its opposite is Interruption Marketing, which consists of ads on TV, in print, or on the radio. Godin compares Permission Marketing to farming (a long-term strategy), and Interruption Marketing to hunting with a shotgun (faster results, but nothing to build on and no real focus).

I would recommend starting with the Case Studies chapter, and just skimming the rest
Sue Cartwright
This book was my first introduction to the principle that the best way to sell a product (and build a tribe) is to ask people if you can send them information about your remarkable product or service to demonstrate to them how it could transform their lives through (free) educational, interesting and helpful content.

In Seth's words ...

'Permission marketing is the privilege (not the right) of delivering anticipated, personal and relevant messages to people who actually want to get them.

It recogn
Peter
While the concepts in this book pertaining to permission marketing were rather interesting, I constantly found myself doubting them. This was likely due to the fact that the book was written a few years ago and the author makes many assumptions most specifically about the internet that have since become quite untrue, or never materialized as the author envisioned. I believe the author under-estimated the growth and future of the net, while he does mention that it will be big he makes the mistake ...more
Shawn Camp
Throughout the many sales books I've read I've always seen Permission Marketing and had intended to read it for quite some time now. I was excited to finally pick it up after reading Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends because it was spoken of often and I had loved Tim Sanders' book.

Unfortunately I didnt get that excited feel that you do for a book that offers a radical change. The problem I think is that this book needs a revised addition to accompany the new tech
Bryce Cropper
I think Seth godin is one of the brightest marketing minds, particularly in the internet age. I had to read this book for a marketing class, and found it eye opening. One example he uses in his book illustrates one of his points: He was looking in a magazine and noticed dozens of ads for summer camps for kids. He asks how can you possibly sell anyone on your summer camp in a 2 X 2 ad in the back of a magazine. One ad stood out, it read "Call for a free video about camp such and so". Now, how muc ...more
Nicholas
Shubham Agarwal
Seth presents a new concept which is fascinating. And that's it .. Once you know what he wants to say ...which you eventually come to know in initial few chapters... then it's a series of same story in new words.

Book could have been concise containing set of examples from the companies that touches many consumers.
Andar Hermawan
Give a view of marketing from the customer's side. This book is exploring how boring the traditional marketing was and how to change it. I do agree that customer sometimes already rejecting the product before the marketer start to give some explanation due to misfit approach of marketer itself.
Michael Milburn
Seth Godin has accomplished a lot, but this, this book is special. For myself (and many others) it acts as a road map, a set of rules for applying a powerful marketing tool that scales.

Marketing doesn't have to be "in your face" and "buy buy buy". Here Seth Godin outlines how.
David
Godin discusses how many companies spend millions of dollars on ineffective marketing campaigns that do little to increase sales. Many of the examples he uses are easily identified in my personal life when I throw out my junk mail without reading it, delete unsolicited spam, etc. He describes it as interruption marketing because it interrupts a person's attention, clutters our life and ultimately frustrate a potential customer. It is based on the company's view, "What is in it for me?"

Permissio
D. Redhawk
Mar 18, 2012 D. Redhawk rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
Most of the time I read this book, I was marveling at the fact I was reading a book on marketing to begin with. I've never been big on marketing and business literature, preferring the escapism of fiction or research for my novels.

That said, I found Godin's book quite interesting. He rarely lost my attention, and he turned me into an acquaintance. (The book's byline is 'Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into Customers'. We're not friends, yet, but he's working on it.) He makes a lot of
Ryan
Regardless of the fact this book was written over a decade ago, the ideas hold strong. As I started to plan how I'd like to do business in this world of interruption marketing, I came upon the idea of establishing relationships instead of casting a huge net with annoying tactics. Finding this in Seth Godin's vast library has pushed it to a whole new level.

I've been reading Seth Godin's blogs, and even some other books for many years now. Never have I been in a position to actually utilize the i
Ahmad Abugosh
This might be a good book for someone who never used digital marketing before, but if you have even a basic understanding of "pull" and "push" marketing, you'll find this book very outdated.
Arvind
Parts of the book are outdated, however, the principles behind Permission Marketing is timeless. It's a good read and delves deep into relationship building, though I would have liked to have seen more content on the initial steps of Permission Marketing. It's worth an initial read.
Ben Donahower
Seth Godin never disappoints. These are 'no duh' ideas, but the way he frames these ideas is fresh and makes sense as a consumer and marketer.
Lynn Lipinski
The concept of permission marketing turns advertising on its head. The underlying idea is that you should woo, date and protect your customers rather than rely on mass advertising to make sales. It is a broad concept, and it is only at the end that Godin acknowledges that the strategy may not work for all types of products. I agree with his premise that the customer should be considered intelligent and valuable; and I do think reading it was worthwhile. The book does, however, seem a little date ...more
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin...
Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World