Start by marking “Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers” as Want to Read:
Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  7,242 ratings  ·  175 reviews
The man Business Week calls "the ultimate entrepreneur for the Information Age" explains "Permission Marketing"—the groundbreaking concept that enables marketers to shape their message so that consumers will willingly accept it.

Whether it is the TV commercial that breaks into our favorite program, or the telemarketing phone call that disrupts a family dinner, tra
Published May 6th 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Permission Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permission Marketing

Jamie Belanger
When I see an interesting book on business or marketing at my local library, the first thing I check after reading the jacket is the publication date. Seeing that this book was published in 1999 didn't give me much confidence in it. In computer terms, 1999 is practically the Stone Age. Granted, I remember the Internet back then, since I started using networked computer systems in the late 80s and started surfing the web in 1995. So in some ways, this book was a little bit of nostalgia.

Permission
Chris
I found it rather amusing how the book started off with the example of how you're supposed to think of marketing as asking for a date rather than attempting to propose marriage right off the bat. There's an endless supply of books and tomes out there trying to explain how you're supposed to get a date and how hard it truly is. Permission Marketing doesn't really tell you how you're supposed to get that initial attention and wowing factor although it does go into well how you should be building a ...more
Roland
Being an old book a lot of information is a bit outdated.
For one, AOL, AltaVista are gone, Yahoo! was replaced by Google.
Banners and pop-ups are still with us.

However the basic concept is still valid. I've read many reviews where people complain about Godin not writing anything "new", that the whole permission marketing idea is thousands years old - as he himself points out a few times in the book, it was the norm until about a 100 years ago -, and this is all intuitive, nothing new there.

But if
Gisela Hausmann
To get this off my chest I want to begin by saying that illustrating the statement “Frequency works” with Muhammad Ali’s fight record is simply wrong, or, at best a not well chosen example. Godin writes “Muhammad Ali did not become heavyweight champion by punching twenty people one time each. No, he became the champ by punching one guy twenty times. By applying frequency to the poor opponent’s head, Ali was able to bring his message home…”

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a second
Ahmed Korayem
Repetition, repetition, and guess what again ??? Repetition. This is my first time to rate a book with a single star. The concept of permission marketing was very well explained at the very beginning of the book, and i was fascinated by the way Seth explained the evolution of marketing from one to one approaches to mass campaigns. After that, the book gave nothing new.
Gisela Hausmann

I might have ignored this if it did not come up a second
Tanya
I think one of the biggest problems facing marketers who are using social media is not learning the tools themselves but in how to use the tools. I used to say when I was teaching social media that my students did not need to be afraid of Twitter. They already have the knowledge of how to market, this was just a new tool. It was like they were building a home with a hammer, and now they have a new tool of an electric nail gun. As soon as they learn to use it they will be okay.

While I still feel
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Permission Marketing by Seth Godin.

Everyday we are bombarded with ads from literally every company, brand, product and service. Every advert uses every possible medium where the targeted ROI is hoped to reach new record levels. And if there is any strategy, science or style that would increase this level by even an iota, you can be rest assured everyone else on the planet would jump the bandwagon to slurp out the last living possibility.

In this competitive, confusin
Alex
When I finished this book, I tore out the last page and posted it by my desk as a future guide. This book is a bit older at this point (1999 I believe), but some of his predictions were prescient and the principles are timeless. Basically, don't be an annoying fuck while marketing. A lot of it simply plays to people's inherent self-interest, too: "Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean he isn't selfish! Make yourself a little sign and post it on your wall. America's favorite radio s ...more
Mark Sylvester
Interesting read! A little outdated in parts as it was written in 1999, but a step by step strategy for turning strangers into customers using permission marketing (when people give you permission to market to them), rather than interruption marketing (TV ads,etc) . Particularly liked the portion that explained how permission needs to be 3 essential components in order to work - anticipated, personal, and relevant. Recommended as Seth was the father of this kind of marketing that's dominating In ...more
Socialbookshelves.com
Permission Marketing is the marketing book to rule all marketing books, the one book that you should be sure to read before all others and which you should re-read every year if you hope to ever sell a product. Godin revolutionised the way we think about marketing – no longer is it about getting your message out in front of people in any way possible. Now, you need to seek the permission of consumers before you contact them.

In some cases, this is actually a legal requirement – think of the CAN S
George Thompson
Permission Marketing, by Seth Godin, was an extremely insightful marketing book that taught me very important marketing principles which have never crossed my mind before. For those of you who are reading my review, it would help to understand that I am a high school student, thus my experience and knowledge in the field of marketing is limited compared to a person who has had experience in the business world, thus my ideas in this review may seem incorrect or uninformed due to my lack of experi ...more
T.L. Cooper
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin had been on my reading list for a very long time after a couple of people recommended it to me and I'd seen it referenced as describing the "right" way to market. Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical, but reading this book made me realize why I hate so much of the marketing we see today. While this book is a how-to book about marketing strategy, I have to admit the techniques within sounded a bit manipulative to me. I'm a straightforward kind of person, and I truly do ...more
Anastasia
This is the first book I've read that is actually outdated. And although there are some relevant truths and interesting ideas in it (like the servicing of your car in your driveway while you sleep proposition) - it's pretty much antique in terms of online marketing. An interesting read for people who want to study the evolution of marketing and advertising.

It did leave me thinking that although "interruption marketing" is still very much alive, and though "permission marketing" is the new must-d
Calin Biris
Permission Marketing is to Inbound Marketing, what Darth Vader is to Luke Skywalker. A must read for starters in Online Marketing.
Matthew
Excellent book on marketing, but unfortunately all of his examples are painfully dated. Given the popularity this book has established, Godin would do well to re-release an updated version.
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "As clutter has increased, advertisers have responded by increasing clutter. And as with pollution, because no one owns the problem, no one is working very hard to solve it."

2- "In addition to clutter, there's another problem facing marketers. Consumers don't need to care as much as they used to. The quality of products has increased dramatically It's increased so much, in fact, that it doesn't really matter which car y
James Perkins
Groundbreaking when it was written, this book is now looking more than a little dated. Published even before the dot-com bubble burst at the tail end of the twentieth century, very few of the businesses mentioned still exist, and those that have lasted have been using these ideas for more than a decade, so this material no longer looks like advice, but simply a description of what many companies are already doing. Mr Godin made some rather outlandish predictions that never came true - for exampl ...more
Amy
Very simply, permission marketing gets customers to ask for information, and then provides them with continued, relevant communication. Its opposite is Interruption Marketing, which consists of ads on TV, in print, or on the radio. Godin compares Permission Marketing to farming (a long-term strategy), and Interruption Marketing to hunting with a shotgun (faster results, but nothing to build on and no real focus).

I would recommend starting with the Case Studies chapter, and just skimming the rest
Sue Cartwright
This book was my first introduction to the principle that the best way to sell a product (and build a tribe) is to ask people if you can send them information about your remarkable product or service to demonstrate to them how it could transform their lives through (free) educational, interesting and helpful content.

In Seth's words ...

'Permission marketing is the privilege (not the right) of delivering anticipated, personal and relevant messages to people who actually want to get them.

It recogn
Peter
While the concepts in this book pertaining to permission marketing were rather interesting, I constantly found myself doubting them. This was likely due to the fact that the book was written a few years ago and the author makes many assumptions most specifically about the internet that have since become quite untrue, or never materialized as the author envisioned. I believe the author under-estimated the growth and future of the net, while he does mention that it will be big he makes the mistake ...more
Shawn Camp
Throughout the many sales books I've read I've always seen Permission Marketing and had intended to read it for quite some time now. I was excited to finally pick it up after reading Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends because it was spoken of often and I had loved Tim Sanders' book.

Unfortunately I didnt get that excited feel that you do for a book that offers a radical change. The problem I think is that this book needs a revised addition to accompany the new tech
Krishna Kumar
Seth Godin shows how people are increasingly getting tired of interruption marketing and explains how permission marketing can be used to build relationships with customers. He does not dismiss the need for interruption marketing or assumes that permission marketing is the panacea for all marketing problems. This makes for a well thought-out book explaining all the various aspects of this marketing methodology.
Bryce Cropper
I think Seth godin is one of the brightest marketing minds, particularly in the internet age. I had to read this book for a marketing class, and found it eye opening. One example he uses in his book illustrates one of his points: He was looking in a magazine and noticed dozens of ads for summer camps for kids. He asks how can you possibly sell anyone on your summer camp in a 2 X 2 ad in the back of a magazine. One ad stood out, it read "Call for a free video about camp such and so". Now, how muc ...more
Nicholas
Dvir Oren
Permission marketing
Build relationships with customers over time
Cold leads are much worse than warm leads with existing relationship
Build best relationship to sell continuously via subscriptions

Good read. Basically says build relationships And sell to them over time. Reminds me of email list building
Shubham Agarwal
Seth presents a new concept which is fascinating. And that's it .. Once you know what he wants to say ...which you eventually come to know in initial few chapters... then it's a series of same story in new words.

Book could have been concise containing set of examples from the companies that touches many consumers.
Andar Hermawan
Give a view of marketing from the customer's side. This book is exploring how boring the traditional marketing was and how to change it. I do agree that customer sometimes already rejecting the product before the marketer start to give some explanation due to misfit approach of marketer itself.
Michael Milburn
Seth Godin has accomplished a lot, but this, this book is special. For myself (and many others) it acts as a road map, a set of rules for applying a powerful marketing tool that scales.

Marketing doesn't have to be "in your face" and "buy buy buy". Here Seth Godin outlines how.
David
Godin discusses how many companies spend millions of dollars on ineffective marketing campaigns that do little to increase sales. Many of the examples he uses are easily identified in my personal life when I throw out my junk mail without reading it, delete unsolicited spam, etc. He describes it as interruption marketing because it interrupts a person's attention, clutters our life and ultimately frustrate a potential customer. It is based on the company's view, "What is in it for me?"

Permissio
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin...
Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick) All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World