Start by marking “Sea Lord” as Want to Read:
Sea Lord

Sea Lord (Thrillers #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Johnny Rossendale has spent the last four years on the seas, away from the titled family he despises. But now he must turn his sailing cutter, the Sunflower, around and sail to Devon, where his mother lies dying. When Johnny makes landfall, though, he finds that his return is eagerly anticipated by some very sinister foes. After an attempt on his life, he realises that som ...more
Published May 27th 1993 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Lord

Graham
Another seafaring thriller from Bernard Cornwell. The story in this one is quite slow, and flavoured with romance, and there's lots of technical detail when it comes to the sailing; Cornwell can't resist showing off his proficiency. Despite all this, it's a cracking read with some wonderful chapters.

This time around, the action is centred on the English channel with a plot slightly reminiscent of the likes of LOVEJOY or BERGERAC, although of course with Cornwell there's a harder edge to the acti
Wayne Zurl
KILLER’S WAKE by Bernard Cornwell

Bernard has not written a modern novel since 1992. KILLER’S WAKE (Originally called SEA LORD everywhere but in the US) came out in 1989.

Lord John Rossendale, 28th hereditary Earl of Stowey, is returning to England for his mother’s funeral. With a title like that, you’d think he occupied a first class seat on the concord and flew in luxury. But not Lord Johnny, a self-exiled, almost penniless vagabond who arrives home during a gale, sailing his 38 foot Bristol Ch
Ross
Having read all of Cornwell's historical novels I am going through the five books of his thriller/mystery genre. This is the fourth I have read and it is definitely the best so far.
It has a lot of sailing which I like and also a nice little love story which I liked. The writing is very good and the mystery story is very good. No Cornwell fan should miss this book.
James
I have been a fan of Cornwell since my first few books, and have read practically all of his Historical novels except the newest two. So for me looking at his roots was a great experience, especially as this novel is way above and beyond what I was expecting.

In a way I would claim that this book is in fact a better novel than any he has written. It felt to me as if he was a different person when he wrote this book, and I am struggling to reconcile this writing voice with his work in Historical
Jon
Did I like this because it's such a lean, fresh-feeling thriller in an uncommon setting, or did I like it because I picked it up somehow thinking it was a period piece on pirates and therefore set the stage for me to be constantly surprised.

We'll never know, but I had a good time regardless.
Jan Locher
A good book

A good book

the book is nice has an exiting plot. I read it on my holidays on the canaries watching the yachts going by. splendid
Purple
Aug 12, 2008 Purple rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cornwell lovers and boat people!
Recommended to Purple by: My father.
Shelves: crime-fiction, 4-star
I was staying at my parents house while they were away, and I foolishly forgot to take any reading matter. My dad (not the most prolific reader) lent me this. I was wary to say the least - a book about a lord at sea not the most inspiring. However, it was really good! Not only is it hardly located at sea at all, but it it's actually quite a gripping tale of treachery and deceit, violence and theft! Hurrah!

I wouldn't necessarily seek it out as a book to read, but if you find a copy and have nowt
Jeff Yoak
I was long overdue for a Cornwell book not about Sharpe that I really loved. I was starting to lose faith.

Cornwell's obvious love of sailing comes through in this work about an English Earl turned sail bum. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time as the mystery unfolded. The love story touched me. The ending surprised me. It has everything you'd want from this sort of genre piece.
Mike
The main character in this book has the same name of the antihero in the Sharpe series "Waterloo". In "Waterloo" Sharpe confronts Lord John Rossendale, who cuckolded Sharpe, and shows Rossendale up as a coward. Lord John is killed in battle while trying to retrieve his honor. Is there a connection? Maybe.
Chris
It reminded me a little of a Nevil Shute book. Lots of detail and obvious excitement and interest in the subject of sailing, but not so complex you were not able as a landlubber to understand the plot.
Colin Powell
This was a very enjoyable thriller. A loner living aboard a yacht travelling where and when he pleases comes home to Britain and moors his little world, only to be plunged into intrigue, murder and mystery.
Gina
So far, so good.... more modern than I expected. Cornwell still painstakingly researches his subject, this time boating. While a bit predictable, I still found the book entertaining.
Dona Krueger
I was very dissapointed in this book by one of my favorite authors. I feel he has grown tremendously in his writing skills since 1989, but this is unfortunately to me, not one of his best.
Judi Fisher
Picked this up at the used book sale at the office--turned out to be a real page-turner that I thoroughly enjoyed. A good mystery, a bit of romance and laced with sailing lore.
Mike Currie
Very dissapointed in this as I normally love all Cornwalls books. Slow, tedious and lead character was confused. took me weeks to get through this rather than days.
Neil
Not my favourite Bernard Cornwell book. Still a good read but I would suggest his other books before this. Good book if you are into sailing.
David Foster
Great adventure mystery. If you're a sailor you would want to read this book.
Michael Jody
Not his smartest, but still a very fun read. This book is also called Killer's Wake.
Rusty
A different type of book from a noted historical fiction writer. Good read.
Oismiffy
It was OK - bit obvious who the baddies are and the ending is a bit weak.
Xdw
yachting mystery. cornwell knows boats. not bad as a sea story.
Peze
Seafaring whodunit. Engaging and quick read.
Sheree Ross
Great suspence/mystery !
Ojd
Ojd marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jerry Wade
Jerry Wade marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • Success to the Brave (Richard Bolitho, #17)
  • Ramage's Signal (The Lord Ramage Novels, #11)
  • A Call to Arms
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • Touch the Devil
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his mother's maiden name, Cornwe ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...

Thrillers (5 books)
  • Wildtrack
  • Crackdown
  • Stormchild
  • Scoundrel
The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2) Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)