Hero at Large

Hero at Large

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  6,198 ratings  ·  372 reviews
He cooks a pot holder in the spaghetti sauce and needs lessons on making Jell-O. Still, single mom and ice skating coach Chris Nelson is committed to keeping her sexy, scruffy, new “house husband” around. After all, she did break his arm…and his toe…and she can’t just turn him out into the cold…

It seemed like luck when this gorgeous stranger first stopped to help Chris wit...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published March 30th 2010 by Harper (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hero at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero at Large

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Greenest Books Ever
188th out of 1,219 books — 394 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M.  SilberThe Home Court Advantage by N.M.  SilberNeanderthal Seeks Human by Penny ReidLegal Briefs by N.M.  SilberFriends Without Benefits by Penny Reid
Clever/Funny Romances
37th out of 118 books — 135 voters

More lists with this book...

kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I read One For the Money, the first Stephanie Plum book and didn't quite connect with it, but I decided to give Evanovich another try and I enjoyed this fun, fizzy little story.
The characters of Chris and Ken were fun to get to know, along with her Aunt Edna, who added a lot to the story. The romance is definitely here, but it's more in thoughts and feelings than bumping and grinding on the page. I actually like that, something left to the imagination is kind of nice.
Be warned you'll have to be...more
A reissue of an old Janet Evanovich romance. It appears to have been updated a bit from its original release (Ken has a cell phone that he lets Chris borrow), but not much. It reads like on old romance, but is cute. Aunt Edna is a predecessor to Grandma Mazur and there is a big dog named Bob in it as well. So, once again, we can see the beginnings of the Plum clan.

Chris meets Ken on the side of the road after her car breaks down. He offers to help her and then she accidentally breaks his arm. By...more
Debbie
Breaking down on the side of the road was the worst way for Chris Nelson to start her day. Adding to a broken car, when Ken Callahan stopped to help her, she accidentally broke his arm. Having a broken arm was not something that Ken had planned for his week, but his decision to go with the flow of things led him to living in Chris’ basement and then a broken toe also. The surprising attraction they both felt for each other grew even through the eggs on the floor and burnt dinners, but will it be...more
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Lyndsay
One of the author's earlier novels. characters unrealistic, plot scenario completely mental. What woman would let a man she has known for 2 hours move in with her and ehr 6 year old girl.

DO NOT READ if you are expecting Stephanie Plum antics and or plot.

Cute story. listened to audio book driving to work. Only real issue was the whole drama about him really being a wealthy, successful business man. Seriously that is what she is going to B*tch about?

She should have had a funnier more light heart...more
Sandie
I love Janet Evanovich's romances, they are so funny. I love them because the people in them seem real with real problems and they are easy to relate to.

This one is probably one of my favorites, I always enjoy romances that involve a single parent and this one was no exception and Evanovich always seems to find a way to include one crazy old lady into the mix!

The cover shows a dog and a rabbit and honestly I thought that would be part of the story. It was actually, but only a very small part.

T...more
Bethany
From the first scene to the last this one had me groaning.. and not in a good way at all. Like a "uhhhhhhhhh I can't believe this book was published!" way.

Haha. Literally. (stupid pretty girl who doesn't know cars need oil to run) "Oh! I just broke your arm after you tried to help fix my car!"
(handsome stranger who stopped to figure out why she was broken down) "Well, please drive me to the hospital so I can get it taken care of."
Pretty girl: "I don't know you, but since my car is broken I'll d...more
Elizabeth
I'm not a huge fan of romances in general, nor have I ever read anything else by Evanovich. If I weren't so much out of my comfort zone by reading this book, I probably would have enjoyed it more and given it three stars instead of two. Some of the characters are somewhat flat (though quirky Aunt Edna is endearing). If you're interested in some of Evanovich's earlier works, or if you enjoy boy-meets-girl stories, you might want to give this book a try.
Maddux
Clean. Squeaky.

Heroine and hero... Both are squeaky clean.

So there's nothing wrong with this story. It was nice. A lovely little romance.

But it's more like something I'd have enjoyed when I was a teenager. Even though I avoided stories with kids in them.

I don't know why there is a dog and a rabbit on this cover. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Zoe
While this is trademark Evanovich, it's pretty clear it's her early work. The plot isn't too complex, and unlike a modern romance, there is not quite enough conflict to really make the characters sizzle until the last third of the book. However, if you've read jsyt about everything Evanovich has written and are hungry for more, you'll enjoy it!
Shannon
Before the Stephanie Plum books, Janet Evanovich wrote several "cutesy" romance books, and this is one. The books are great summer beach reading -- cotton candy for the mind. And I love them. Likable characters, easy plot lines and happy endings.
Kiera Beddes
Genre: divorced mom, rich secret millionaire
Summary: Chris is a single mom who picks up a guy on the road when her car breaks down and she accidentally breaks his arm. Somehow, this man manages to ingratiate himself in every part of her life in record time. But when Chris finds out that this man isn't everything she thought he was, she has to decide if she wants to continue on this emotional roller-coaster.
Response: I might have been read too many Evanovich novels. This was one of her first nove...more
LORI CASWELL
Before Janet Evanovich authored her Stephanie Plum series she wrote twelve romance novels that were all re-released by HarperCollins in the past couple of years. This was Janet's very first book published. When I saw it on my To-Be-Read pile I knew it was perfect for the What's In A Name Challenge for the book with a size in the title.

Chris Nelson gave up her figure skating career for a man only to have the marriage end in divorce. She is now a single mom living with her daughter and her aunt. S...more
Jenny Delandro
She breaks down
He stops to help her
She is scared of his scruffy appearance.
Then when the bonnet crashes onto his arms while he is trying to help breaking one of his arms - she takes him to the hospital and then takes him home
(view spoiler)...more
Vivian Hollidee
Since reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, I knew that her work are worth reading. Its fun, exciting, and filled with humor. Her main female characters always has this quirky side that you can't help but love!

In this book, Hero At Large, is quite different from her Stephanie Plum series. Its more of a romantic side but the Janet Evanovich humor that I know and love is still there. Why the three-stars you might ask? Well, the story is just too unbelievable. Erm, let me put it this wa...more
Y
This is the first (?) of Evanovich's pre-Plum romances? I've been hunting them all down and reading them; I've got five more to go through.

Every book is essentially about the exact same two characters. They go by different names, have different appearances, have different jobs each time around, but the woman and the man are always essentially identical, personality-wise.

The reason I keep reading them anyway is because 1) I like Evanovich in general, and 2) the overall situation surrounding the o...more
Teena in Toronto
I'm a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series but haven't read any of her earlier stuff. She wrote romances from 1988 - 1992 which have been re-released ... this is one of them. I downloaded it from the library.

The characters were likable and I especially liked our hero, Ken. He was funny and caring. Aunt Edna was cute too. I liked our heroine, Chris, but her dwelling on her past marriage got very old and tiresome. She'd been married to a cad for about two months eight years ago ... he'd...more
Kimberly
My review is cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/revie...

When Chris Nelson’s car breaks down on the side of the road, it seems like a stroke of good luck when a sexy stranger stops to help her. Ken Callahan is a gorgeous – in a disreputable looking way – construction worker on the way to his first day at a new job. Then Chris accidentally breaks his arm and winds up with an unexpected roommate. The single mother and former professional ice skater has neither the...more
Eyre
I love the Stephanie Plum books, and I generally like Evanovich's characters. I have to say that I was disappointed in this one.

Chris is a single mom who works hard to support herself and her young daughter. They seem "comfortable," not like their living in poverty; however, she mentions not having the money for some things she needs a few times. Okay, I get that a single mom would have those worries, but Chris annoyed me with that because of the incident with her car. At the beginning of the s...more
Sammy
Overall I really enjoyed this book, and thought it was very entertaining. When I started reading this book I thought that I really liked the character, and the climate of the book. When I visualized what was happening in the book, I really liked how the pictures in my head had alot of colors, and I was able to understand what was happening really well. My favorite character was Ken because I really liked how no matter what, he did not give up on trying to win Chris, and he never lost hope that h...more
Addictiveness ❤❤❤❤

Originality ✯✯✯

Detail ♢♢

Story/Plot ✪✪✪

Characters ♡♡♡♡

Memorable✿✿

Likeness to recommend to others ✤✤✤

Easy read, light and uncomplicated. Was torn between 3 and 4 stars but found in looking at my other ratings it compared more to those I've rated as a 3. Enjoyable read but I found it lacked detail, and nothing made it stick out for the plot and originality. While I enjoyed reading it, I don't think the story is memorable. Still a worthwhile read for those that enjoy chick-lit and...more
Hina
Ignoring the way the characters "fall in love" (I mean she practically marries the man she picked on the side of the road in just 3 weeks.. people take longer than that to "follow back" on Twitter!) this is the most light and fluffy and FUNNY (loved the crazy romantic banter) Chick Lit I have read in quite a while. Just what I needed right now.. a senseless light romantic comedy ;)
Sarahwmyers
I thoroughly enjoy Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. In this series Evanovich is clever, witty, laugh out loud funny and apt at creating engaging stories. Which makes it all the more mysterious why she writes such trivial stories as this particular one. Also when she partners with other authors she delves into bottom feeding literature. Don't get it.
Brenda
I'm a big fan of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (even though I wonder how long she can stretch it out without any character growth or plot development or anything, but that's a different review), so I've been trying to make my way through her older romance novels. This was her first published novel, and I think it's safe to say that Evanovich is getting better with time.

Although this was a fun, easy read, there just really wasn't much substance to it. It was a very typical romance, where the...more
Bev
I thought I would treat myself to something very light and fluffy after listening to the incredibly long and heavy World Without End by Ken Follett, and this certainly fit the bill. It was Janet Evanovich's first published work, and it clearly sets the mold for all of her books--screwball romances with a harried heroine, a devilish but lovable and "hunky" man, a crazy but well-intentioned old lady, a dog, lots of mishaps and misunderstandings, and a happy ending that is too good to be true but l...more
Azuree
Chris is an ice skating coach who has the worst luck with cars. When her breaks down on the way to work a nice guy stops to help her fix it, hijinks ensue as is typical of any Janet Evanovich novel. Ken falls immediately in love with Chris, even after she accidentally breaks his arm, and does everything he can to insert himself into her life including renting the basement apartment of her condo from her aunt. Even as Chris resists his charms, she realizes she has feelings for Ken as well, but is...more
Barbara ★
I really like these cute little funny romances by Janet Evanovich. I've read a few of them now and they are all quick reads with great romantic characters. Chris Nelson, our heroine is a single mother who is working her butt off to put food on the table. She once was a successful figure skater who now teaches skating to promising young girls. When her car dies on the highway, gorgeous Ken Callahan stops to help and she inadvertently breaks his arm resulting in a visit to the hospital. Regardless...more
Nicole
I enjoyed this. It was a pretty cute story. I was a little annoyed at Chris. Her logic was a little dumb. I understand being upset, but she took it to the extreme. Maybe the book wouldn't have been as good had she forgiven him right away? Regardless, I thought she was being silly. A fun little book.
James Sorensen
Chris Nelson is one her way home from her job as a figure skating coach when her cars breaks down. Ken Callahan pulls up behind Chris and tries to help her get her stalled car started. The calamity begins when Chris knocks down the car hood on Ken's arm causing it to break. Chris takes Ken to her home to try to help with his broken arm and Ken ends up moving in. Slowly Chris comes to realize how much she cares for Ken but is afraid to commit because she was burned by her first and only marriage....more
Eileen
Not part of the Plum series.
Fun romance. A couple steps up from a Harlequin.
A quick fun read, finished in about 24 hours.
Evanovich must love dogs. There's been one in the two non-Plum books I've read, however the dog's name is the same name as the Plum series, "Bob"!!
  • The Plot Thickens
  • Once Smitten, Twice Shy (Wedding Veil Wishes, #2)
  • By My Side: From This Day / Temptation
  • Love Me If You Dare (Bachelor Blogs, #2)
  • All Shook Up
  • Return to Rose Cottage: The Laws of Attraction\For the Love of Pete
  • Stand-in Groom
  • Moon Over Water (Deliverance Company #3)
  • Bubbles In Trouble (Bubbles Yablonsky, #2)
  • Home in Time for Christmas
  • Trust Me on This
  • Divorced, Desperate and Deceived (Divorced #3)
  • The Nerd Who Loved Me (Nerds, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“...Don't you just hate a phony-looking stiff?" - Aunt Edna” 5 likes