Start by marking “Hero at Large” as Want to Read:
Hero at Large

Hero at Large

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  9,228 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
He cooks a pot holder in the spaghetti sauce and needs lessons on making Jell-O. Still, single mom and ice skating coach Chris Nelson is committed to keeping her sexy, scruffy, new “house husband” around. After all, she did break his arm…and his toe…and she can’t just turn him out into the cold…

It seemed like luck when this gorgeous stranger first stopped to help Chris wit
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published April 2010 by Harper Collins (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hero at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero at Large

Marianne
May 08, 2016 Marianne rated it really liked it
Hero At Large is a pre-Plum novel by popular American author, Janet Evanovich, and was originally published under the nom-de-plume, Steffie Hall. When Chris Nelson’s car gives up the ghost on the Little River Turnpike, she’s grateful for the assistance that Ken Callaghan gives, and really, breaking his arm was completely accidental. But when her Aunt Edna invites Ken to rent their downstairs rooms, she is not happy. Ken is far too good looking, Chris is far too attracted to him, and after her ...more
Bethany
Apr 01, 2014 Bethany rated it it was ok
From the first scene to the last this one had me groaning.. and not in a good way at all. Like a "uhhhhhhhhh I can't believe this book was published!" way.

Haha. Literally. (stupid pretty girl who doesn't know cars need oil to run) "Oh! I just broke your arm after you tried to help fix my car!"
(handsome stranger who stopped to figure out why she was broken down) "Well, please drive me to the hospital so I can get it taken care of."
Pretty girl: "I don't know you, but since my car is broken I'll d
Anna's Herding Cats
Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Listening to this one for my retro review with Sophia for this next quarter :D Read it back in 2011 originally.

Okay so 2.5 stars. Damn! I remember loving all of these light little romances from Evanovich when I read them years ago. They were fun and silly and a little cheeky. On audio though...ergs. I loved the hero and the heroine's auntie. The heroine though. Man alive she's a bitchy shrew! I mean the entire time. She's snippy at him, painting him
kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I read One For the Money, the first Stephanie Plum book and didn't quite connect with it, but I decided to give Evanovich another try and I enjoyed this fun, fizzy little story.
The characters of Chris and Ken were fun to get to know, along with her Aunt Edna, who added a lot to the story. The romance is definitely here, but it's more in thoughts and feelings than bumping and grinding on the page. I actually like that, something left to the imagination is kind of nice.
Be warned you'll have to be
Aurora
Feb 02, 2016 Aurora rated it did not like it
quite possibly one of the worst books I have "read" (listened to it on audio on a long drive/had no other book otherwise would have been turned off).

There was absolutely nothing I liked about the main character. She was a whiny martyr of the worst kind.

THANKS PANDORA!!!
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
I made it a whopping six pages into this book before I noped my way out of it. I would have thrown it across the room, but I was on the bus and I figured my fellow passengers probably would have objected to being hit in the head by this trash. So I restrained myself.

What happened in the first six pages of this book that made me DNF it, you ask?
- Main female character tells us that she doesn't believe in getting cars fixed because "she felt too hopelessly intimidated by car mechanics". Uh, so y
Susan Kraft
Dec 20, 2014 Susan Kraft rated it it was amazing
OK, I don't normally read very many romances, but I'm a huge fan of Evanovich's series about Stephanie Plum, so when I saw some of her romances listed at the library I decided, "Why not?" and gave a couple a try. I am so glad I did! This book is hysterical! Almost from the very first page I was laughing and I didn't really stop until the book was over and I realized I had grown to like the characters and wanted them to stick around! A single Mom meets a scruffy, good looking stranger when he ...more
Caro
Sep 22, 2015 Caro rated it liked it
Shelves: evanovich-janet
Pretty good. I laughed (quite a bit), huffed a little, smiled, and had a good time. Good characters, emotions, a good story line, and great ending. Sweet, strong and fun. Food for the anytime read and wanting something on the lighter side of life. Enjoy
Suzanne
cute, fast, predictable...and I'm good with that!
Melissa
Jan 19, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Single mother Chris (a skating coach) was on the way to the rink one day when her car broke down on the highway. A passing motorist who just happens to be a tall, dark, handsome and conveniently single came to her aid. After slamming the hood of her car down on his arm, Chris then has to drive Ken (in his vehicle) to the hospital. Meanwhile it doesn’t take long for the sparks between the two to fly. Due to his injury and not being able to take care of himself, Ken invites himself to move into ...more
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Aug 08, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
A reissue of an old Janet Evanovich romance. It appears to have been updated a bit from its original release (Ken has a cell phone that he lets Chris borrow), but not much. It reads like on old romance, but is cute. Aunt Edna is a predecessor to Grandma Mazur and there is a big dog named Bob in it as well. So, once again, we can see the beginnings of the Plum clan.

Chris meets Ken on the side of the road after her car breaks down. He offers to help her and then she accidentally breaks his arm. By
Lyndsay
One of the author's earlier novels. characters unrealistic, plot scenario completely mental. What woman would let a man she has known for 2 hours move in with her and ehr 6 year old girl.

DO NOT READ if you are expecting Stephanie Plum antics and or plot.

Cute story. listened to audio book driving to work. Only real issue was the whole drama about him really being a wealthy, successful business man. Seriously that is what she is going to B*tch about?

She should have had a funnier more light heart
Sandie
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: janet-evanovich
I love Janet Evanovich's romances, they are so funny. I love them because the people in them seem real with real problems and they are easy to relate to.

This one is probably one of my favorites, I always enjoy romances that involve a single parent and this one was no exception and Evanovich always seems to find a way to include one crazy old lady into the mix!

The cover shows a dog and a rabbit and honestly I thought that would be part of the story. It was actually, but only a very small part.

T
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, animals
I'm not a huge fan of romances in general, nor have I ever read anything else by Evanovich. If I weren't so much out of my comfort zone by reading this book, I probably would have enjoyed it more and given it three stars instead of two. Some of the characters are somewhat flat (though quirky Aunt Edna is endearing). If you're interested in some of Evanovich's earlier works, or if you enjoy boy-meets-girl stories, you might want to give this book a try.
Zoe
Jan 15, 2011 Zoe rated it liked it
While this is trademark Evanovich, it's pretty clear it's her early work. The plot isn't too complex, and unlike a modern romance, there is not quite enough conflict to really make the characters sizzle until the last third of the book. However, if you've read jsyt about everything Evanovich has written and are hungry for more, you'll enjoy it!
Maddux
Clean. Squeaky.

Heroine and hero... Both are squeaky clean.

So there's nothing wrong with this story. It was nice. A lovely little romance.

But it's more like something I'd have enjoyed when I was a teenager. Even though I avoided stories with kids in them.

I don't know why there is a dog and a rabbit on this cover. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Shannon
May 19, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Before the Stephanie Plum books, Janet Evanovich wrote several "cutesy" romance books, and this is one. The books are great summer beach reading -- cotton candy for the mind. And I love them. Likable characters, easy plot lines and happy endings.
 ★ jazz ★
A humorous romance that shows the beginnings of a few elements that will show up in the later Plum series. Although not as complex as the Plum stories, it is a quick enjoyable read.
Mary Rad
May 23, 2015 Mary Rad rated it really liked it
Just a cute, fun, quick read. At 24, my car died because I didn't know about the oil thing! Naïve? yes!
Leslie Ferrari
Jun 09, 2015 Leslie Ferrari rated it liked it
This is Evanovich's first novel and you can see the beginning development of some of her characters for the Stephanie Plum series.
Lisa E
Nov 11, 2016 Lisa E rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Lisa E by: Library
I listened to this book while driving to and from work. This is Janet Evanovich's first book. It was cute with some real laughable moments. It is a nice change of pace to see books written about single parents. My favorite character in the book was Aunt Edna who must have been the inspiration for Grandma Mazur in the Stephanie Plum series. It had likable characters and an simple plot line. CJ Critt did a great job narrating this book.
This is a lite romance so if you are looking for a lot of dep
Judith
Dec 08, 2016 Judith rated it it was ok
This is an early work by JE and it shows. It is pretty tame compared to her present work. I am a dedicated Evanovich fan so although this book is certainly not up to her later Stephanie Plum standard, I thought it a good fun read nevertheless.
Linda
Nov 19, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
I have been reading early Janet Evanovich just so I can say I have read all her books. Her writing has really improved over time, but you can still see the early characters coming through.
Brooke Riley
Nov 15, 2016 Brooke Riley rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another fun read for middle of the night feedings, although this one didn't keep my attention as well as most of Evanovich's books.
Jen
Dec 03, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
A cute, short read (I just haven't had much reading time). Disgustingly sweet, down to the very last detail.
Jessica Macri
Oct 24, 2016 Jessica Macri rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Cute. Much better then the last few of hers I have read. The characters are more believable.
Ashlynn Valana
Nov 07, 2016 Ashlynn Valana rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Early work by author, definitely not as polished as her more recent stuff
Mindy
Oct 27, 2016 Mindy rated it did not like it
Not of fan of this author.
Dale Safford
Oct 13, 2016 Dale Safford rated it really liked it
Janet Evanovich books are always so enjoyable! It was easy reading while on my Danube River cruise.

Chris is pulled over on the side of the road when Ken comes by to assist her. When they are looking under the hood, she bumps the support and the hood comes crashing down on his arms, with a resulting trip to the hospital. He moves in with her and her 7-year old daughter Lucy and Chris' Aunt Edna to recuperate, and romance follows. Chris is a former ice skating champion who now teaches, and Ken is
2015 Reading Chal...: Hero at Large by Janet Evanovich 1 9 Apr 08, 2015 12:28PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #107 - Hero at Large 1 3 Jul 18, 2014 11:39AM
  • The Grand Finale
More about Janet Evanovich...

“...Don't you just hate a phony-looking stiff?" - Aunt Edna” 6 likes