Start by marking “Warlord: No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy” as Want to Read:
Warlord: No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Warlord: No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

This is the powerful true story of the Marine lieutenant who, having fought for his country in the first Gulf War, went on to professional success in finance, only to be compelled to reenlist in the wake of 9/11. Leaving behind an ex-model wife and two children, he served once again in Iraq -- and was charged by the U.S. military with murder.Ilario Pantano has always been ...more
Published June 20th 2006 by Threshold Editions (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Warlord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warlord

Tom
Aug 06, 2011 Tom rated it it was amazing
A prime example of a great American wronged by the government, made a victim of the war in Iraq for doing his duty. I could not put it down, and read it in one sitting. Remarkable account of what has been so far an amazing life, making me want to get off my ass and try to make a difference in the world again.
Mike
Apr 05, 2008 Mike rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in the Iraq War.
Recommended to Mike by: G. Gordon Liddy
I heard Lt. Pantano in July 2006 on the G. Gordon Liddy show describing his tribulations. From that I decided to buy his book and read his first hand account, and what an account it is. It pains me to read others who disparage him and his service. War is a messy business, always has been. Toward the end of the book, Lt. Pantano summarizes the US's two most important failures in Iraq: "our reluctance to use decisive and overwhelming force, AND our inability to capitalize on and publicize our ...more
Randy
Jun 29, 2008 Randy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Marines, past, present, and future
Shelves: military
Great book with plenty of ground-view perspective of what was happening during OIF II. Pair that with the Article 32 hearing transcripts and you have a well balanced telling of Pantano's life during this ordeal. This book will narate the qualities it takes to be an exemplary Marine.

Many parts of the book were profoundly insightful and Pantano does a great job of conveying into words his thoughts and feelings of loss, betrayal, rage, and resolve. I felt that I shared those moments with him as I r
Chris Coppola
Jan 28, 2010 Chris Coppola rated it really liked it
LT Pantano was brought up for the court martial charges of murder for killing two Iraqi insurgents in 2004. He gives a very detailed and personal account of the confusing nature of events in war when seen from different perspectives. I was struck by the intense personal struggle the author suffered and how the military to which he dedicated his service left him to fight on his own.
Drex
Feb 12, 2008 Drex rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like military history and military war stories
Shelves: military
True story of Ilario Pantano, a heroic, brave soldier in Iraq wrongly and falsely accused of murder by a disgruntled soldier. Pantano was later acquitted and decorated. The accuser was court marshalled and jailed.

Gripping sequences from the Iraq War (2003). Good look at life on the ground in Iraq.
Daniel
Aug 30, 2008 Daniel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Those interested in a military court-martial.
I did not care for this book. The main character was too arrogant for my taste. The trial portions in the book did not interest me at all. Finally, the story would jump back and forth from his life experiences and his court-martial. The first two chapters were so trite that I chose to stop reading the book.
Susan
May 24, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. As a mother of a Marine I am sad that LT Pantano had to resign his commission. Our Marines need fearless leaders like him. I can't say enough about this hero and his fight to clear his name. Amazing story!
Stephan
Jun 06, 2014 Stephan rated it really liked it
Outstanding read, and surprising how easily a situation that could your live one way, will come back and almost end it another way.
Erik
May 18, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
Outstanding biography of an Iraq War vet, who became a NY stock broker, reenlisted on 9/11, and returned to Iraq, only to face a highly publicized trial for the "murder" of two Iraqis.
Kevin
Sep 07, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it
A great unflinching look at a marine falsely accused of murder in the Iraq war. He offers a good perspective from the soldiers view on the war and the hypocrisies of the military systems.
Ricky Reyes
Jan 26, 2014 Ricky Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book is great. Shows the way someone who grew up in a bad neighborhood went enlisted in the marine corps and reenlisted when 9-11 happened.
Steve Coscia
Dec 28, 2009 Steve Coscia rated it really liked it
Great book about the Marines, war and justice.
Bill Whalen
Bill Whalen rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2009
James
James rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Kristyn Caputo
Kristyn Caputo rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Dixie Applewood
Dixie Applewood rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2007
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Cami
Cami rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Gregg
Gregg rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Drew Athans
Drew Athans rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2010
Idolog
Idolog rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2009
Tavo
Tavo rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Kenny Brouwers
Kenny Brouwers rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Calebva
Calebva rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2009