Start by marking “Death of a Musketeer (A Musketeers Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Musketeer (A Musketeers Mystery, #1)

Death of a Musketeer (A Musketeers Mystery #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Alexandre Dumas's Four Musketeers--the noble Athos, the cunning Aramis, the loyal Porthos, and sharp-witted D'Artagnan--now add crimesolving to their duties as swashbuckling sleuths in the court of King Louis XIII.

Celebrating a victory with a round of drinks, the four men stumble upon a musketeer, dead from a slash across the throat. What's more, the he is a she who bears
264 pages
Published 2006 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Musketeer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Musketeer

Reni
I give up.

I somehow made it through Les Larmes du Cardinal suffering nothing worse than tedious boredom. And I even enjoyed myself a bit reading the smutty and slightly offensive Sword & Blood (which was apparently written by the same author as this series?). But this innocuous little murder mystery is where I give up. I did not even make it through a fifth of this book before I could not take it anymore.

I binge-read the complete d'Artagnan romances this year, and having this book claim it
Leslie
There are cozy mysteries in the marketplace today that have various historical or literary figures solving crime in their own time that was never "recorded." One such mystery series stars the well loved trio plus one of Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan.

D'Artagnan has met the "inseparables" by accident and has to duel each one for various reasons of honor. Of course, the Cardinals' guards decide to enforce the no dueling allowed law at this time. Well, the three musketeers (plus one young Ga
Harish Puvvula
Athos, Porthos, Aramia, and D’Artagnan literatures' enduring friend quartet. They turn the detectives to investigate a corpse of young woman clad in musketeer's outfit.

One hell of a read for historical fiction lovers like me. The Paris and the French countryside of Dumas time is very meticulously recreated. The plot is mind blowing. Can't ask for a better book on a weekend! Thoroughly enjoyable.
Cynthia Armistead
Aoife
Life is too short for shitty books.

Unless the author finally learns how to spell d'Artagnan and has another look at the original canon I am not going back there...
Bill
I enjoyed this book for the way it delved into the lives of the musketeers, using their different POVs, unlike the Dumas original with it's omniscent narrator. It deviates from Dumas's story a little to create a mystery, which I found a little too out there for me, but I will admit I love The Three Musketeers. Not sure I'm going to read any more of Sarah's books. Too many great books and mystery series and not enough time for ok books.
Nicole
A writing style I find awkward and difficult to trad. Overwrought and unbelievable characterizations of the emotional turmoil the musketeers go through. Very melodramatic.
Hannah Kirkhart
I love getting into the point of view of each musketeer in this book. Each chapter is told from the point of view of either Aramis, Porthos, Athos, or D'Artagnan. While the extra back story and personality quirks are enjoyable, I did feel like the characters were each very analytical. Maybe I am just used to less paragraphs about what the character thinks about, but each time a character started analyzing the mystery, it seemed excessive and too detailed. I did enjoy the book, but I was not sati ...more
Susan Miller
The Three Musketeer's has always been my favorite book. I am glad to see someone has taken up the pen in their name again. I enjoyed their adventures in solving a murder. This murder has the potential to become a scandal, as the body of a musketeer is discovered to be a female that looks very much like the Queen. Athos, Porthos, Aramis & D'Artagnan work together to solve the crime and save great nations.
Lorinda
The first of this series of mysteries, written about the famous four, D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers, Aramis, Porthos and Athos. I enjoyed it although I read the second of these books first and thought it was much better than this one I still liked it. I had a little trouble in the beginning getting the characters straight, but once I got further into the story I really enjoyed it. The four are quite the comedy team with some deeply embroiled secrets, sometimes its hard to remember who know ...more
Kiri
Dec 25, 2014 Kiri rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dumas fans, Period/Historical mystery fans.
A quick and fun murder mystery romp with the Musketeers. The author does a good job of setting up how these stories came to light via her hands, she also has a good grasp on the character voices. We get some nice back story on the more minor characters in the original tales as well.

This story interweaves into the very beginning of when D'Artagnan arrives in Paris and meets the Musketeers - Porthos, Athos, and Aramis. We get a good glimpse into the Royal palace and at the Cardinal's households a
Travis
A fun romp of a read, as the Musketeers discover a dead body and decide to solve the mystery behind it. Fun, as none of the four heroes are really traditional detectives.
The writer has a great handle on the four leads and even adds in a few explainations for things hinted at in the Dumas books.
Only problem I have is setting this smack in the middle of the original novel limits some of what she can do and It cramped her style in a few places.

Lots of fun and I'm looking forward to tracking down th
Patty
I enjoyed this book up to a point. Ms. D'Almeida has a flare for capturing the personalities of the Three Musketeers and D'artagnan but the story kind of petered out. Still, a good period piece and interesting enough to inspire me to try another in the series.
Margaret Konecsni
An interesting twist on a classic. While I wouldn't exactly trust the Musketeers to try and solve MY murder, it was good as an introductory novel to the series.
Just A. Bean
Not as much fun as the fourth one, possibly because of the Athos' plot and its angst. It was still a whole lot of fun though, and I want to read the other two.
Abigail
Fun mystery. Great if you are a Dumas fan. Probably not where I would have taken the original fab 4, but a fun mystery.
Kathy Sebesta
I liked it. Try it yourself.
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Teodora Tanasie
Teodora Tanasie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Potnia
Potnia marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Nakoma
Nakoma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
  • The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
  • The Season of the Beast (Agnès De Souarcy Chronicles, #1)
  • The Widow Killer
  • This Dame for Hire
  • The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams #1)
  • Through the Skylight
  • Her Highness' First Murder (Simon & Elizabeth, #1)
  • The Blackstone Key
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • Murder in the Place of Anubis (Lord Meren, #1)
  • Eye of the Moon
  • Nox Dormienda: A Long Night for Sleeping
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • The Empty Mirror
  • Interrupted Aria (Tito Amato, #1)
  • Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt (Semerket, #1)

A Musketeers Mystery (5 books)
  • The Musketeer's Seamstress (A Musketeers Mystery, #2)
  • The Musketeer's Apprentice (A Musketeers Mystery, #3)
  • A Death in Gascony (A Musketeers Mystery, #4)
  • Dying by the Sword (A Musketeers Mystery, #5)
The Musketeer's Seamstress (A Musketeers Mystery, #2) The Musketeer's Apprentice (A Musketeers Mystery, #3) Dying by the Sword (A Musketeers Mystery, #5) A Death in Gascony (A Musketeers Mystery, #4) The Musketeer's Inheritance (The Musketeer's Mysteries)