Titanic Survivor

Titanic Survivor

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Book tells the remarkable story of a stewardess aboard the Titantic, this lady also tells of surviving the Giantic. Remarkalbre story
Published July 29th 1998 by Sheridan House (first published October 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Titanic Survivor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Titanic Survivor

A Night to Remember by Walter LordTitanic by Donald LynchThe Night Lives On by Walter LordVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson WhiteThe Discovery of the Titanic by Robert D. Ballard
Best Titanic Books
7th out of 98 books — 93 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEndurance by Alfred LansingTouching the Void by Joe SimpsonAdrift by Steven Callahan
Best True Survival Stories
43rd out of 144 books — 235 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Oct 15, 2009 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
I was a little skeptical when first approaching this book, because seeing as it was republished in '97 the whole Leonardo Dicaprio Titanic thing was in full swing, so I was thinking that possibly the producers would manipulate the memoir to serve as a promotional tool (I know, my mind works in strange ways).

Thankfully I was wrong. The memoir barely concerns itself with the Titanic (as you read it, you quickly discover you're reading about Violet Jessop's life at sea, not the great unsinkable), d...more
Deanne
The most amazing thing about this story is Violet Jessop, not only was she on board the Titanic sank but she was also on the Britannic 4 years later as a nurse. She was also on the third ship the Olympic when it collided with another ship.
She sounds like a fascinating woman, who after a long hard life had a great deal of experience.
Have to admit though if I was about to go on a cruise I'd make sure she wasn't on board.
Manda
I really enjoyed reading this biography, but I knew before I read it that the memoirs were of her whole life, not just of the four days she worked on the Titanic. I can understand that promoting this book as if it is all about the Titanic would leave some people disappointed.

Violet Jessop was cursed to live an interesting life.
Sandra
Thank God. Thank God she survived not one, not two, but three ship wrecks. When I listen to her describe the sinking of the Titanic while she watched from a boat bobbing in the water next to it, it gives me a whole different perspective than just what writers write about it. She also introduces you to her people on board these ships and you can finally connect with the people who LIVED on these ships. These ships were their homes.
But the description of the sinking of the Britannic is what is ho...more
Laura Lee
Really it's 3 1/2. Violet Jessop was a stewardness on the Titanic's first and last voyage. She only takes one chapter for that event, but you won't be disappointed. These are Miss Jessop's memoirs, tho it seems she left a lot out, like a failed marriage and she is very discret about the love of her life. She was born in Argentina which she describes beautifully. Her parents were emigrants. After her beloved father dies the family moves to England. From there Violet goes into service on luxury li...more
Kay
Seriously, how many times can you be on a ship that sinks? This is the diary of a woman who was a ship stewardess and gives an interesting look at the world at that time. One bit that fascinated me was that she learned when the Titanic sank how much she missed her toothbrush after they were rescued. The next time she was on a sinking ship, she got her toothbrush before she went to the lifeboats. Isn't that so typical of life...it's the little details that seem to get you.
Kirsti
Bought in a second hand bookstore that was sadly closing down, this book immediately caught my eye as I walked in. It was in the ship section of the store, which just so happened to be in the front of the store or else I wouldn't have seen it. I admit to finding my favorite sections first in stores, never even looking at things like cars, ships etc because the other sections seem more important. This was a good deviation from habit!

If you're looking for a book on surviving the Titanic, then look...more
Jim Williams
Random discount book I picked up that had the most amazing true story about a woman who worked on (and survived) all 3 great ocean liners. Unbelievable ending.
Sandy
Violet Jessop decided at an early age to follow her mother's footsteps and become a stewardess on passenger liners and during the course of her long career from 1908-1950 she was on all three of the major ships built by the White Star Line including Olympic, Titanic and Britannic and was on board both Titanic and Britannic when they sank.
This book is told second hand by stories and writing left behind by Jessop and while some parts are disjointed it is an interesting look at life aboard the cr...more
Dana
The "Titanic Survivor" provided a rare glimpse into the Titanic's sinking through the eyes of one lucky survivor, Violet Jessop. I was surprised to learn that not only was Violet Jessop a "Titanic Survivor," but she also survived the sinking of the Britannia a few years later. Until this book, I thought the famed 'Unsinkable' Molly Brown was the only woman to claim that honor. Violet's memoirs were written not long after Titanic, but were rejected by publishing houses! What fools! Found after he...more
Luís Castilho
Violet Jessop was an ocean liner stewardess and nurse who achieved wordwide fame by surviving the disastrous sinkings of both the RMS Titanic and the HMHS Britannic in 1912 and 1916 respectively, as well as RMS Olympic collision on October 20, 1910. The book Titanic Survivor contains some passages of Violet Jessop memoir written in 1934, originally named Neptune's Greenroom. Violet Jessop life story is indeed a mesmerizing one and makes up for an amazing tale of endurance and survival. In additi...more
Jess Gofton
After reading this book it's impossible to say that Violet Jessop led a boring life. These memoirs were fascinating to read, from Violet's childhood through to her employment as a stewardess, her time aboard the doomed Titanic, her role as a nurse during WW1 and her encounters with so many different and brilliantly bizarre people as her return to work as a stewardess took her around the world. Violet tells her story with wonderful wit and insight.

Why have I only given the book 4 stars and not 5...more
KA N Newton
Bought as a tree book new off Amazon - it had a blueish cover, later finding it at half price used on ebay.

I enjoyed the book so the extra cost was not wasted.

Violet Jessop was a Titanic Survivor' and the book includes an exciting description of the sinking though this is only a small part of the book other parts of Violet Jessop's life were interesting.

Her childhood in Argentina was affected by illness and the illnesses of other siblings. Her later years were spent at a convent school in Kent...more
Elena
Fascinating story of a young Irish woman's life, including her experiences on the Titanic and Britannic. She conveys a real sense of both disasters, particularly the second one while at the same time not making them her primary focus. Instead, it is the story of her childhood in Argentina and her life as a stewardess aboard several different cruise ships that is so compelling.
Cathy Les
Disappointed. The narrative was so choppy and she didn't give details about her experiences in the Titanic sinking or as a VAD. She was a bit better in her description of the Britannic sinking. And the "explanations" by the editor were nearly all annoying - put it in a footnote or your own chapter please.
Sharon Stinson
Had a difficult time getting into this book, but was determined to finish and glad I did - the long awaited parts about Violet's experience during the Titanic and the Britannic disasters were actually just a small part of the saga of her life and came late in the story. Since most of her time as a steward on the big ships was during the Victorian era, much of the writing (and even the editor's comments) were in the language of the time, which was sometimes heavy. It was easy to get bogged down o...more
Ashwise
I remember reading this as a kid and I really enjoyed it! It was cool reading about her life as a stewardess and how she was on the Titanic, Olmypic, and the Britannic.
James Garrett
A good perspective of being a ship's steward in early 1900's and her experience from two different passenger liner sinkings.
Jill
This book was so much more than I thought it was going to be! I thought the primary focus was the fact that she had survived two huge shipwrecks, but it's really a biography. It starts with her childhood in Argentina and goes through a lot of her adulthood working as a stewardess for various ships. The shipwrecks are only part of the story. The author pulled together her memoirs and made historical and clarifying additions, always in a different font, so you know what it him and what is her. The...more
Eileen
I thought this was a great book. It is about an Irish woman who as a young girl started working as a stewardess on an ocean liner and ended up with a 40 year career. She describes how she survived the night of the Titanic sinking and 4 years later when the Britannic started sinking she couldn't believe this was happening again. Her quick wit, sense of humor, easy manner and courage are evident as she recounts many other stories about passengers and her life at sea. Some are funny and some are sa...more
Ashley
Wow, I first noticed this book back in 2008-9 when I was shelving biographies. I finally got the chance to pick it up and read it and I am so glad I did. What an amazing life this woman had. While the fact she survived two very famous shipwrecks is amazing, the rest of the details of her life, including those surrounding those two events are just astonishing. I am in awe of this woman's ability to survive.
Amanda Whisner
Not just about Titanic (in fact, only one Chapter is devoted to that ship) but the life story of a brave turn of the (20th) Century seafaring woman. Love having her perspective -- she is funny and simple and honest -- on the gilded age (life is not so gilded without penecilin!), Americans and other tourists, seamen and the "upstairs/downstairs" life on board the great steamers of the early 1900s.
Linda
While I enjoyed reading this book, it wasn't what I thought it would be. It's more of a story about Violet Jessop's life as a Stewardess on ships other than the Titanic as well. There was actually very little written about the Titanic, though what was written was moving considering it was written by someone who was actually there at its sinking.
Carla Bonney
A bit difficult to read at times, but very interesting. The editor was a bit annoying at times, breaking in to explain details he knew, but where Violet's actual memoir rambled a bit, the editor could also be quite helpful. Fascinating (albeit brief) first hand accountings of the Titanic and Britannic disasters.
Annenz
While I enjoyed reading this book, it wasn't what I thought it would be. It's more of a story about Violet Jessop's life as a Stewardess on ships other than the Titanic as well. There was very little written about the Titanic, which to me was a shame as that was why I bought the book in the first place.
Gloria
The title says it all. Jessop was a stewardess on both of these liners and survived the sinkings as well. (You'd think after that she'd look for another line of work). Her writing style was actually quite engaging and opened one's eyes to what the life of a employee of the White Star Line was like.
Suzanne
Absolutely fascinating memoir. This lady had at least 3 unbelievable close calls! First disease then two shipwrecks...and she still lived to old age- wow. Loved reading this in her own words which were archaic at times but added a dimension of interest to it. Would have loved to meet her.
Mary-Jane
Brilliant! An extremely engaging and well written first person account of Violet's childhood and career as a stewardess. It is fascinating to hear her tell of the two ship sinkings she survived. The editor's comments are for the most part unnecessary. I loved this book.
Genny Moore
Amazing book by someone who survived both the Titanic and Brittanic sinkings. I think it would be rare these days to find someone who had put 20 years into working for the cruise lines and worked for all that time as a stewardess. A demanding yet sometimes rewarding job.
Dorcas
The best first person titanic book by far. The interesting twist to this that sets it apart from others is that Violet was not a passenger but a stewardess and the Titanic was not her only shipwreck but merely her first one. An incredible story about an incredible woman.
I wonder if she was ever banned from sailing on another boat? 4 11 Apr 26, 2013 12:24AM
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Titanic: an Illustrated History
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • The Night Lives On
  • And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Lost Voices from the Titanic
  • Titanic Love Stories: The true stories of 13 honeymoon couples who sailed on the Titanic
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Titanic, First Accounts
  • Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World