Start by marking “The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)

The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #6)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  15,575 Ratings  ·  493 Reviews
Hugo Award Winner! Miles Vorkosigan graduates from the Academy, joins a mutiny, is placed under house arrest, goes on a secret mission, reconnects with his loyal Dendarii Mercenaries, rescues his Emperor, and thwarts an interstellar war. Situation normal, if you're Miles.
Published April 30th 2002 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Vor Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vor Game

mark monday
Miles be nimble!
Miles be quick!
Miles jump over the candlestick any situation or dumbass that gets in your goddamn way!

Go, Miles, Go!

so Miles finds himself stuck in a miserable freezing arctic station as his reward for graduating from the Barrayar military acadamy with top honors but also with a serious issue of not treating authority with the respect and passivity and obedience that authority apparently deserves. and from the arctic station he finds himself tossed pell-mell, willy-nilly, etc, ri
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my HUGO WINNERS list.

This is the reading list that follows the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I loved reading the Locus Sci-Fi Award winners so I'm going to crack on with the Hugo winners next (but only the post-1980 winners, I'll follow up with
David Sven
Feb 14, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Young Miles is back. He’s completed his training at the Academy and he’s hoping to get posted on a space battleship. But Miles has a problem with subordination and to prove he is worthy to serve he is required by his superiors to demonstrate he can do just that ie serve - in some backwater Arctic station for six months.

So then Miles serves out his time in humility before being assigned to the pride of the Barrayan fleet The Prince Serg and.....
yeah that didn’t happen. That would be totally borin
Stephen
5.0 stars. Outstanding, smart science fiction novel with heart. Miles Vorkosigan is an amazing character. Highly recommended.

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1991)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1991)
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 28, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the second of the Miles Vorkosigan books, though it's listed as the forth in the family saga. I was/am very impressed. My rating here is a considered one and I'm very close to a 5 here. I can't quite go there as there were a few false notes (I'll mention later) but all in all an excellent book and a great read. I'll say here in the first paragraph that I wholeheartedly recommend this one.

So, what's good and what's bad? Well, you will find what I've come to believe is Lois McMaster Bujol
Jim
Oct 22, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reader, tangled web, & Miles is like a spastic spider running through it all. It's a lot of fun as Miles deals with his insubordination issues - not particularly well as most would guess. He does try hard, though. It's not his fault they give him the wrong orders. (His words, not mine.)

It's a series & if you want to find out more about it, I suggest you read it in chronological order. The list is here:

It's much better than the published order
Gordana
Aug 18, 2015 Gordana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
uza svu prehladu i temperaturu uspjela sam je nekako dovrsiti s par ponavljanja nekih poglavlja. ostalih pet koji me cekaju na polici ce cekat malo bolje dane, as mi koncentracija nije bas najbolja. ovo je predobra knjiga da je citam u ovakvom stanju ;)
Anders
Mar 07, 2013 Anders rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoy reading Buljold, and when starting The Vor Game I had just finished the wonderful The Mountains of Mourning. I also like Miles Vorkosigan as the protagonist. He is funny, smart, easy to like, yet far from perfect, which makes him interesting. Finally, I also love a well told Space Opera.

Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, usually involving conflict between opponents possessing advance
Lisa Butterworth
Nov 13, 2009 Lisa Butterworth rated it it was amazing
This time Miles gets sent to (the Barrayian version of) a Siberian training base to see if he can't figure out that whole being a subordinate thing . . . because he's gotta learn to obey if he's ever gonna live the dream of serving on a starship, but what's a tiny-brittle-boned-hunch-backed-hyperactive-genius supposed to do when his commanding officer is on the verge of committing mass-murder (and creating a political disaster that could undermine his father's hard won carefully balanced planeta ...more
R.J.
Apr 27, 2015 R.J. rated it liked it
Please note: my three star rating is not an aspersion on the book's quality, just a measure of how much I enjoy this book relative to the rest of the series. It's all very smart and well executed (obviously, if it won a Hugo), just not as much fun as THE WARRIOR'S APPRENTICE, and more full of the kinds of characters I find more exasperating than compelling (*cough* Cavilo *cough*). Also, the final battle depends on a lot of elaborate tactical strategy that I find I simply can't picture in my min ...more
Mary Catelli
The further adventures of Miles, after graduating from the Academy.

Immediately, he's given a post: as a Meteorology Officer. Which seems like an awful mismatch, and he gets told that unless he manages to pull off subordination better, he's not going to manage in the service.

Things don't stay simple. At first there is simply the matter of trying to learn to lead the less than clever soldiers, and manage to obey the commander (obviously shuffled off here) but then the commander raises the stakes -
Vicky N.
Incredible follow up to The Warrior's Apprentice. Miles is back in action.
I am starting to realize Lois McMaster is a genius and she does no wrong.
Love this as much as previous books and look forward to continue.
Adrian
Oct 11, 2015 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Son las 5:30 de la mañana y escribo esto tras meterle un arreón a las últimas cientocincuenta páginas así que os podréis imaginar lo que me ha gustado.
Donna
May 29, 2010 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
After finishing at the academy, Miles is sent to serve as the weather officer of a remote training base. It's a disappointment, but he's told that if he does well for six months then he could get assigned to an under-construction spaceship that's nearing completion. When those hopes are dashed by an unstable general and a difficult decision, Miles gets a new mission - one that could bring him back into contact with the mercenary fleet he once commanded.

Like the earlier Vorkosigan books, this is
Becky
May 31, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
I'm marking this four stars only because Cordelia's Honor was five, and this isn't as good as that one (those two), but in a general range of excellence, five out of five, would read again.

"Miles, in one breath you just plotted to kill the emperor, cuckold him, accused your father of homosexuality, and suggested patricide. What's your encore?!"
"Go away, I'm busy."

Jasmine and Stephanie reviewed this book saying they would die in a war for Gregor. I would absolutely die for Gregor. Poor little kin
Punk
May 29, 2011 Punk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SF. Freshly graduated from the academy, Miles is handed his orders only to discover that -- SURPRISE -- he gets to go to a dangerously cold place and study the weather! As you can imagine this is totally not his fondest wish. He's told that if he can behave himself for six months, he can probably get a post on a super cool new spaceship. But because he is Miles nothing is ever that simple.

I spent an entire Saturday reading this. Occasionally I would look up and feel like I should be doing someth
Kathi
Sep 06, 2009 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This book really reads as two separate stories--the episode on Kyril Island and then the adventure with Ungari and Gregor. Miles has difficult choices to make, and his nimble mind makes the unexpected connections out of conjecture.

I am coming to like and appreciate Miles, conflicts in his life, the forces that drive him. His "Admiral Naismith" persona is engaging and amazing, but it is the reality of his Vorkosigan life that I appreciate the most.

New and old relationships shape this story, the c
Jamie Collins
Nov 26, 2012 Jamie Collins rated it it was amazing
After a re-read, I still love this one. It begins with the new Ensign Miles Vorkosigan stationed at the arctic Kyril Island to see if he can maintain his proper place in a military hierarchy. (He can’t.) Then on to his next mission when he stumbles across a runaway emperor, who Miles either rescues or further endangers, depending on your point of view. Then onwards to prevent a war.

As long as you don’t let yourself be bothered by incredible coincidences, improbable chains of events, and nick-of-
André
Feb 19, 2015 André rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I want to know how this woman plots because wow. Also I want to know how she characters because wow. Five stars.
Kathleen
Dec 04, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Finished! Have now read AND written reviews for The Vorkosigan Saga, a militaristic space opera with some romance (but not in this book), plenty of suspenseful action-adventure, and sound character development. I read about 19 books in the past month, crushing on Lord Aral and Lady Cordelia Vorkosigan and their midget-like son Miles, aka The Mutie Lord, Shorty, Admiral Naismith, etc. Aka bloody brilliant.

I loved the main bulk of the story, with Miles and Gregor and the Dendarii Mercenaries. Lo
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
The Vor Game starts right after The Mountains of Mourning when Miles, just graduated from the academy as a new Ensign, is given his first assignment. It's a baffling one. He's to be meteorology officer at a remote station in the Arctic. When he asks, he's told that as long as he keeps his nose clean for the 6 months of his assignment, he'll be given the ship duty he craves. If only it was so easy!

Things, obviously, go wrong, and Miles ends up attached to Imperial Security and sent on a mission f
Aaron
Feb 03, 2009 Aaron rated it liked it
This was a nice space opera yarn, but I'm a little surprised that it won the Hugo Award for best novel. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't nearly as good as some of the other Hugo-winning books I've read. Perhaps competition wasn't very steep for the award in 1991.

This book continues the adventures of Miles Vorkosigan, now that he has graduated from the Academy on Barrayar. The story seemed to jump around alot, even though it's told from Miles' exclusive point of view and foll
SA
Apr 20, 2016 SA rated it it was amazing
"Miles Learns About Command." For a book with only seventeen chapters, I was astounded at how it felt like I was reading two or three separate books. Miles, Ensign Vorkosigan now, is tasked with his first commissioned assignment: don't piss anyone off for six months. To his credit, his complete failure is not entirely of his own making.

When I say "learns about command" I mean both the assumption of and subservience to, only one of which he arguably excels at. In many ways the military-political
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 04, 2010 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it

I love Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, but this is not one of my favourite volumes, and I was slightly surprised to discover that it had won the Hugo. Structurally it is rather obviously bolted together from the original novella, "The Weatherman", and the subsequent expansion to novel length with the whole space war story; and the whole plot crucially depends on the massive coincidence of Miles bumping into Gregor on page 145. Having said that, the competition
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Very satisfying second novel featuring Miles Vorkosagian, a crippled son of an aristocratic planetary premier who must use his wits, courage, and leadership skills to excel in the Imperial Barrayar space navy. Bujold is very skillful in engaging the readers empathy for this underdog whom she has described as bearing three besetting sins: pride, imprudence, and despair. In this tale, Miles gets assigned to serve as a weatherman in a god-forsaken arctic outpost. He ends up having to resolve a muti ...more
Cindy Griffin
Dec 04, 2011 Cindy Griffin rated it it was amazing
Miles graduates from the Academy and receives his first post. Being Miles, he quickly finds himself at odds with his commanding officer. After the discovery of a possible murder, making everyone at his new post uncomfortable, and a bit of insubordination, Miles must face Imperial Security and detainment. In an effort to save his own hide, Miles makes a deal with Security. As Miles juggles being Lord Vorkosigan, Admiral Naismith, and a new personality, he must stop a war, uncover intelligence for ...more
Amelia
This series is just grand. This book in particular is very good. In this book, Miles (who came of age in the previous installment) gets out of the military academy and starts his normal military life, then everything goes awry... then further awry. It's a mad and wonderful mishmash of old and new characters meeting up in interesting ways across the galaxy. Well done!

This book has some of the best quotable quotes!

“Very good. But your most insidious chronic problem is in the area of . . . how shal
Maggie K
May 30, 2013 Maggie K rated it it was amazing
This was such surprisingly good fun, I had to give it 5 stars. Not that Miles is'nt usually fun, he is, but this venture was especially fun and funny.

Miles' first assignment upon graduation is as a meteorologist. If you are familiar with Miles, this is funny in and of itself....and it just goes on from there! Pretty soon Miles is being AAdmiral Naismith again, and getting into adventures with old pals Elena and Gregor.

It was good to see more of Gregor, and have a little meat put onto his charact
Lilia Ford
Please forgive the review self-plagiarism, but the following applies to all the books I've read in the series. So here it is:

I think Bujold is the best Sci-Fi writer I've ever had the pleasure to read, NO QUESTION. I found no weaknesses here but I will put in a special word for her absolutely superlative plotting. I also deeply respected the author's humanism, and the complete lack of Dune-yada-yada grandiosity. The only minor downside is the books (that I've read) have no sex, but then again y
Trin
Jul 17, 2008 Trin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, american-lit
This is my favorite type of Miles novel: I love him when he’s being Admiral Naismith. And all the shenanigans with Emperor Gregor are fun, too—I finally see why some people ship Miles/Gregor (although I am still not inclined to). This book is just so much fun, with adventure and space battles and espionage and all that good stuff. And yet Bujold makes time for the important character moments, too. All of which really makes me wonder…why has no one tried to adapt these books as a TV series?
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • Cyteen (Cyteen, #1-3)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • The Big Time
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

“A weapon is a device for making your enemy change his mind.” 78 likes
“Cecil flashed a grin. "Quite. Plus your rather irritating habit of treating your superior officers as your, ah..." Cecil paused, apparently groping again for just the right word.

"Equals?" Miles hazarded.

"Cattle," Cecil corrected judiciously.”
35 likes