Start by marking “Kinki Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Kinki Lullaby

Kinki Lullaby (Billy Chaka #4)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Wisecracking reporter and reluctant detective Billy Chaka is back. His latest misadventure finds him in Osaka to accept an award for an article he'd written years before about a teenage Bunraku puppet prodigy named Tetsuo. Billy quickly learns he may have been summoned for more than the award -- Tetsuo has been expelled from Osaka's most prestigious theater company followi ...more
Published September 21st 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Kinki Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kinki Lullaby

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMatched by Ally Condie
Most disappointing books!
38th out of 105 books — 53 voters
Shōgun by James ClavellMemoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiTokyo Vice by Jake AdelsteinThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
Best Books About Japan
268th out of 332 books — 206 voters

More lists with this book...

Two-fisted History
Feb 05, 2014 Two-fisted History rated it it was amazing
In 2006, I walked into one of those random Discount Book Stores that pop up in random locations and random times like some kind of Gypsy Bookstore.

In one of the piles, we discovered this pink-covered book with the title, 'Tokyo Suckerpunch' Of course this must be a sign; two Nihonophiles discovering a book with a beaconic cover. We each picked a copy, and I read it in a couple days. Thus began my love of Billy Chaka.

I highly recommend 'Kinki Lullaby' and the other books in the Billy Chaka serie
Maddy
Jul 28, 2013 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2004-reads
As a reader, I sometimes like to move away from the standard mystery settings and venture into exotic locales. When done well, the setting can almost become a character of its own that adds just as much to a book as the humans that populate its pages. Isaac Adamson does it very, very well in KINKI LULLABY, the fourth in the Billy Chaka series, all of which are set in different cities in Japan. KINKI (meaning Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and the surrounding areas) is mostly set in Osaka. What Adamson does ...more
Greg
Aug 14, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
I wish I could rate this with a half star between 3 and 4 simply because Isaac Adamson doesn't really innovate much when it comes to noir detective tropes aside from re-locating the standard noir plot to Japan (in this, his fourth Billy Chaka book, it's Osaka). The care with which he does so, displaying his knowledge of Japanese culture, and especially pop culture is enough to keep the reader interested however. It never really feels like you get enough detail on the protagonist himself, though, ...more
Heather
Sep 17, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Issac Adamson never fails to disappoint with this return of his protagonist with an attitude Billy Chaka. Always classy Billy Chaka finds himself in waist high in trouble and intrigue in this novel of murder, mystery and hilarity.

Billy Chaka returns to Japan to accept and award for an article he's written in his youth about a troubled, yet gifted Bunraku puppeteer, Tetsuo. While staying his hotel he finds that a murder has taken place and the victim is a fellow American. As he tries to wrap thi
Stefanie
Feb 03, 2015 Stefanie rated it liked it
much much darker than the other billy chaka books. it's almost difficult to believe it's the same billy chaka as in the previous 3 books in the series. It feels as though the author wrote the first three books, not really ever satisfied with Billy, and wanting to slightly reinvent him each time. He achieved that with Kink Lullaby.
Greg Kerestan
Jan 29, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it liked it
For the final entry in the Billy Chaka series, Adamson dials back the heavy Murakami influence, presenting a more conventional neo-noir tale in the Tokyo underworld. It's certainly entertaining, but after three books of increasingly genre-bending surrealism, it sometimes seems like a step back.
Moushumi Ghosh
Jul 24, 2014 Moushumi Ghosh rated it liked it
Probably the darkest Billy Chaka adventure I have read. Worth a read if you have been following Billy Chaka's adventures through the other books.
Paul
Nov 30, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok
I have never read anything by this author before so I have nothing to compare it to, but it is very slow and disjointed in the beginning. I just never got into the story.
sean
Dec 13, 2007 sean rated it really liked it
Fun book, fourth in a series that I've really enjoyed. Very noir, some stylish writing with less of the silliness than I remember from the rest of the series. He really captures some parts of Japan (and being a foreigner there) quite well. I'm definitely going to go back and reread the three earlier books, which I remember as being quite different in tone.
Jerjonji
Jun 15, 2009 Jerjonji rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-studies
I had to have this book and while it's not my favorite, it is still a very satifying and fun read. Addamson takes you places you'd never go by yourself, and at the end of the read, you want to start all over again. All four of his books had that effect on me and very few authors do that.
Cody
Feb 04, 2008 Cody rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who'd like to see a kabuki production of 'kiss kiss bang bang'
this book has the requisite wacky, tarantino-anime charm, but something gets a little lost in translation. it's maybe grittier than the other three books, or maybe that's my imagination. a fine read, of course, but it's no hokkaido popsicle.
Chelsea
Jun 17, 2010 Chelsea rated it liked it
It took me awhile to get into, but after a certain point I was anxious to learn what the next chapter would reveal. I'm not sure I really understand how everything connects, but it was a very descriptive book, which I love.
Brendan Sweeney
Nov 28, 2012 Brendan Sweeney rated it it was amazing
All of the novels in the Billy Chaka series are fantastic. I can't express adequately enough how much you should read them. Do it now!
Barree
Aug 14, 2007 Barree rated it really liked it
Adamson's last book in the Billy Chaka adventures takes an eerie turn in this dark VERY noirish book.

Bobby Drake
Bobby Drake marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Avi Kelgine
Avi Kelgine marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Stephen Millner
Stephen Millner rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Mary Rose
Mary Rose rated it did not like it
May 23, 2016
Quiddity
Quiddity rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Mab Ryan
Mab Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Jenna Wilkerson
Jenna Wilkerson marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Heidi Kirsch
Heidi Kirsch marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Joel David Jenkins
Joel David Jenkins marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
mikecola13
mikecola13 rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
McKinley
McKinley rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2016
K. Lee
K. Lee added it
Feb 13, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
  • The Inugami Clan
  • Floating Clouds
  • The Curious Casebook of Inspector Hanshichi: Detective Stories of Old Edo
  • Villain
  • A Cat on Stage Left (Alice Nestleton, #16)
  • The Devil's Whisper
  • Blue (Blue, #1)
  • Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction
  • Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #2)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Shinjuku Shark
  • Murder on Ice (A Figure Skating Mystery #1)
Isaac Adamson is the author of COMPLICATION, nominee for the 2013 Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original.

He also wrote TOKYO SUCKERPUNCH, DREAMING PACHINKO, and other Billy Chaka mysteries.

Isaac lives in Portland with his wife and children.

You can follow him on Twitter at @isaacadamson or find him on Facebook.

More about Isaac Adamson...

Billy Chaka (4 books)