The Alchemist's Cat (The Deptford Histories, #1)

The Alchemist's Cat (The Deptford Histories #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The year is 1664 when young Will Godwin comes to London. In order to survive, he becomes an assistant to a wicked alchemist, Elias Theophratus Spittle. On an errand one freezing night, Will finds a mother cat and her three kittens, and brings the family back to his master's lab. Among the bubbling bottles and evil smelling jars of his master's apothecary shop unfolds an ex...more
Published August 17th 2006 by Chronicle Books (first published 1989)

Animal Farm by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Species and Animals in Titles
120th out of 478 books — 107 voters
Love You Forever by Robert MunschThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinStruwwelpeter by Heinrich HoffmannBobo's Smile by Seymour ChwastOutside Over There by Maurice Sendak
Nightmare Fuel for Children
36th out of 37 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

X
Dec 21, 2008 X rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Deptford and Robin Jarvis
This book is part alternate history (or perhaps historical fiction), part anthropomorphic animal story, and part dark fantasy. Set in 1600's London, it tells the back story of Jupiter from The Deptford Mice trilogy. While I enjoyed it very much, there were a few anthropomorphic animal inconsistencies that prevented me from giving it five stars, though I might do 4 1/2 if we could. Cats having "arms" works fine in a true anthropomorphic animal story, but when humans are more prominent in the sto...more
Nix
Mar 26, 2012 Nix rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have read The Dark Portal
Recommended to Nix by: Pvmom
Shelves: fantasy, magic, animals
Ej
As a Robin Jarvis fan, I dove into this book eagerly and in high anticipation of something creepy, dark, magical and engrossing. I've always been fond of the blend of horror and fantasy woven into this author's anthropomorphic tales.

The book highlights the birth and events of Jupiter's past and how the cat came to possess and know about megic. However, humans come to be the main characters of this book and in my opinion, stole the story with their woes and one character's evil deeds. For the maj...more
Mehmet
The most absorbing book I've ever read after the Inkheart Series! It was really catchy with the mysteries and plot twists it possessed and a sad one as well, with a touch of adventure. Don't stare there, go read it!
Karin Steel
Fantastic read for kids and adults education in a fun way
Jean
This is a violent and unbelievably horrific book. Example: Will is beaten to a pulp but when Molly finds him and hugs him "tightly" he doesn't even flinch...really? The characters are so miserably pathetic I was never sure who to root for (which talking, unlikable cat will we end up with since the ones we kind of liked are dispatched to grisly deaths?) Perhaps, this will be revealed in one of the sequels I do not intend to read.
Ally Tiner
I read this book a while ago, so I'm not too fresh on details, but I know this was a good book, slow at parts, and it was unlike other cat books.
Like other cat books there meant for kids. But, this is YA (young adult), it's interesting, and its hard to pick the cat or character you like best because theres all something that is similar to you. (for me anyways..)
Nikol Likja
Not very scary or interesting as to let you surprised or with the feeling of not letting it go off your hands..I found it boring and with too many details over things i wouldn't care about...Although the topic is quite a good one.
Sadaf
I haven't read the Deptford Mice Trilogy yet, but I thought this book was fantastic. It was very dark but quite the page turner, I really enjoyed it and was shocked by the end. Can''t wait to read the rest of the series!
Lauren *lady lauren with the lamp*
I haven't actually 'read' this book. I have never in my life not finished a book but this is so boring I dread picking it up. I advise you not to read it , but you might like it so I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

Sorry
Pedro
A shallow read. The plot is jumpy and the language used is somewhat lacking. In no way did the book capture my interest, as I had to force myself to finish it. I would only recommend it to those are fans of the series.
Raven Elise
I have read a lot of books about cats, but this one tops it! It doesn't give cats unrealistically human qualities like other books, and it focuses on characters other than the cats from time to time. Just, beautiful.
Tim
I enjoyed this book, found the period of history interesting and a must for any fan of the Deptford mice. My least favourite of the three Deptford History books though, I think because this had the weakest ending
Liam Smith
The perfect way a prequel SHOULD be written. With hidden surprises, twists and lovely plot developments. Even if it's in a bit of bleak setting (it's okay, most of Jarvis' Deptford books are) it's still a good read.
Edward Davies
I loved this prequel to The Deptford Mice, which manages to produce yet another fantastic twist in the tale.
Releanna
the idea is good, but it is far too gruesome in my oppinion and the only likeable characters are Will and Molly.
The cats are all terrible creatures, either weak, selfish or evil.
Chunkysoups
Wonderful book about a boy who's family dies of smallpox, and he is forced to take care of his farm alone, until one of his family members sends him a convincing letter...
Jacob 706
I think that it is interesting how it shows how a rich person can end up being a servent for a scientist and also shows how London used to be like in the 1600's.
Hollyann
The ending did just not work for me. The rest of the story was okay, but not good enough for my liking. Very dark, and not recommended for soft hearts and cat lovers.
J.R. Barker
This was one of my all time favs as a child, I also spent many days combing car boot sales, charity shops, book shops e.c.t for his books.
Shashank
Feb 14, 2008 Shashank rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
I love the action and fear intertwined along with the subtle expression of subservience in this book. Very well written!
Jenna
I just couldn't get into it like I have done with his other books. Although I might try it again, I haven't read it in years.
Sebastian
One of my favorite books as a child; incredibly dark and very sad -- Jarvis tells a hell of a story.
Kayla
omg awsome!!!!!!!!! a very beautifly macabre book!!!!!!! have read it 4 times
Malia
Excellent prequel to Dark Portal. How Jupiter came to be.
Tim Jones
The story of the evil Jupiter and how he become so evil.
Belinda
FUN as all Jarvis books have been
Rachelle
Picked up at Goodwill.
SaLe
SaLe marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Fate
Fate marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • The Magic World
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • Dragon Steel
  • A Stranger Came Ashore
  • Gobbolino The Witch's Cat (Kingfisher Classics)
  • Merlin's Wood (Mythago Wood, #5)
  • Jo of the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #2)
  • Monument
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • Black Maria
  • Children of the Lost (The Agora Trilogy #2)
  • Coram Boy
  • Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy: Great Heroes and Bizarre Beings from Imaginative Literature
  • The Love of Stones: A Novel
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Stop Snoring, Bernard!
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar...more
More about Robin Jarvis...
The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1) The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2) The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3) Dancing Jax (Dancing Jax #1) The Woven Path (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #1)