Start by marking “Whose Panties Are These?” as Want to Read:
Whose Panties Are These?

Whose Panties Are These?

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Misadventures from Funny Women On The Road. Sequel to the Bestseller "Sand In MY Bra"

A collection of humorous short stories, that is a great summer read!
Published 2004

To ask other readers questions about Whose Panties Are These?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whose Panties Are These?

A short collection of stories of female travelers, each chapter a different story relaying an experience that at the time was probably not quite as funny as the present retelling. More than just tales of missing a bus, these are female-centric stories: attempting to purchase a new pair of underwear in an Indian market where all of the vendors appear to be involved in finding the American-sized item, a need to obtain hemorrhoid cream from a confused pharmacist complete with descriptive body langu ...more
Apr 19, 2008 Jody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyione who likes travel
Recommended to Jody by: Gift from Clare
Being in a constant state of wanderlust, I always enjoy reading & listening to stories of travel. This book offers great short essays of a variety of "circumstances" encountered while travelling, and I enjoyed every one of them!
Ok, so the only reason I'm reading this book (and the 3rd one in the series) is because they were lent to me and I was told I have to read them. Otherwise, after the first book in this series, Sand in My Bra, I would have just stopped as I did not enjoy it. This one, while a little better, still wasn't that great.

The whole premise of these books is that they are funny travel narratives written by women. This means that these stories take place all over the world and even in the United States for
Becky Jenson Straub
Another funny collection of travel stories. These were a bit grosser and more shocking. A great quote from the editor: "There is a big difference between misadventurists and whiners." May I always approach travel follies as a misadventurist. I must work on making travel happen to me. Even if only finding adventure in small ways.
Collection of short, light-hearted travel stories by women. All the stories were pretty much equally average, though there was some interesting insight into other cultures. Some of the bios read more like resumes. The only story that stood out was an excerpt from the book "No Touch Monkey! And Other Travelers' Lessons Learned Too Late" by Ayun Halliday. The rest of the stories were generally unremarkable as far as writing, one author sounded very much like another. I think it made me chuckle twi ...more
Each chapter is from a different author who shares a personal story of unlikely happenings or personal revelations during travel. With a title describing "misadventures from funny women" I expected a little more humor from this book. Some of the essays were an absolute riot, others were just dull as could be. Some of the reflections provided are poignant and it's a bit of a disservice to them to have them grouped under such a title because the lessons might be lost on some readers only looking f ...more
Karen Germain

I learned my's really isn't a good idea to judge a book by it's cover. I saw this book many times, before purchasing it and finally just had to get it, because the picture on the cover made me laugh. The back cover promised hilarious travel misadventures...the picture on the cover is the funniest thing about the book.

Although the book had many interesting travel stories, few were as funny as the book promised. It may have had many good qualities, but the book just didn't deliver in t
A few stories were awesome
Collection of short stories about women's travelling misadventures. Very poorly written, not at all funny and very cumbersome to read. Stories such as getting ants in their pants, missing the cable car down from the Great Wall of China, getting felt up on a subway in Japan and having an affair on a business trip in Miami. Not real adventures, not even funny mishaps. It was overly written with too many unnecessary metaphors and forced wit.
I more than "didn't like" this book; this book is so horrible that I actually ripped it half, down the spine. Books are sacred to me, so that is a radical action, believe me. This book was so obnoxious and ethnocentric; it's ONLY merit is for fodder for a study on how exploitative and insipid travel writing can be, but at this point in my life I couldn't be bothered to finish it even to analyze it. I'd give a negative rating if I could.
eh, an OK book if you want a mindless read. Another short story book all about travel misadventures around the world. (they are not all about underwear, but some are) Some of them were funny, but those were all at the start of the book. Some of the stories were gross, or just wierd.

My favorite was one of the first stories where an american woman was trying to buy underware in a rural, small Indian town.
Nov 22, 2011 Jeannie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travel buffs, anyone who wants to get away without buying a plane ticket
Recommended to Jeannie by: me, myself and I
Shelves: i-own
This is the second book in this series I have read...wasn't the best, wasn't the worst. Some of the stories are laugh out loud hilarious, some just so so...but I enjoyed them all..cause these writers have a way of putting you in their shoes..and hey anytime I can step out of mine, I'm a happy camper. All in all another enjoyable book for anyone who likes this genre. Which is me!
Not as funny as I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, but definitely more appropriate for sharing with your seatmate while on the way to the zoo with your class. Has some good giggles about women and their traveling mishaps. My favorite of which involves a sharp burning sensation in the bits and pieces and the surrounding women smiling in understanding and breathing the word "hormigas."
Nov 01, 2007 Clare rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travel lovers
Women submitted stories from their travels around the world and Jennifer Leo (editor) complied the best of the submissions. Several are very funny! All show you something new about a country and can whet your appetite if you've been wanting to be a globe trotter. I learned something new about many cultures from these anecdotal tales.
Dec 09, 2009 Birney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who travel!
Non-fiction collection of stories by female travelers. There are only two books in memory that I have laughed aloud during, and this is one of them. Probably more relevant for women (particularly women who travel), but I don't see why men couldn't find (at least parts of) it funny as well.
It's not what you think- and it's hysterically funny.
I love travel writing, this is a great collection of travel stories by women. I found it because I was looking for other titles by one of the contributing authors.
Humorous stories written by women all over the world: who have traveled the world over! Strange and comical happenings in new places and cultures will leave yoou chuckling and wanting to pull out that passport...
I wouldn't call it high literature, and some of the stories are even quite badly written, but it's great stuff to read while you need to while away the time, say on a train. Very diverting, and also recognizable.
A fun little book to read on the beach--preferably with drink in hand. Much like the other books in the series, the short stories that comprise it are pretty hit or miss.
Teena in Toronto
As with Sand in My Bra and Other Misadventures: Funny Women Write from the Road, some of the stories are funny but some are boring. It's a quick read, though.
Jul 16, 2007 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gift a traveler with-not good english--ended with a preposition
very light but entertaining reading highlighting some of the mishaps that commonly or not so commonly happen while traveling.
Torie Duda
With a title that screams funny...meh - not laugh-out-loud enough for me, unfortunately.
B- Cheesy stories, some of which are not very good, with a good laugh sometimes
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A fun read. Lots of great little stories of awful events on the road.
This was edited by my good friend and world traveler Jen Leo!
Collection of humorous travel writing by women -- Amusing
Hilarious travels stories from women's adventures.
May 28, 2009 Puffdebi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Funny inspiring stories of strong ladies living well!
Read this one on my honeymoon!
  • More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!
  • The Risks of Sunbathing Topless: And Other Funny Stories from the Road
  • Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • There's No Toilet Paper . . . on the Road Less Traveled: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist
  • Headhunters on My Doorstep: A True Treasure Island Ghost Story
  • The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer: Close Encounters with Strangers
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure
  • Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World
Problogger and new-media consultant / Los Angeles Times Web Buzz columnist / "This Week in Travel" podcast host / Editor of the Travelers' Tales Sand in My Bra Series / Co-founder of / One of Elliott's 50 Travel Twitterers to Follow
More about Jennifer L. Leo...
Sand in My Bra and Other Misadventures: Funny Women Write from the Road The Thong Also Rises: Further Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road What Color Is Your Jockstrap?: Funny Men and Women Write from the Road More Sand in My Bra: Funny Women Write from the Road, Again!