Start by marking “The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest” as Want to Read:

“At last! Jade and Keoni not only blast the myth of aerobic exercise for fat loss but give you the science to understand the right way to eat and exercise to turn your body into a fat burning machine.”

— J. J. Virgin, nutritionist to Dr. Phil and author of The Art of Losing It

The New ME Diet is the revolutionary fitness program that enables you to build muscle and lose weig
Published March 23rd 2010 by William Morrow (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The New ME Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New ME Diet

Sep 27, 2012 Shahrun rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend who is a personal trainer/fitness instructor, because she has been there and uses the principles in this book herself. I must say, that even before I began to read it, the ideas did appeal to me - Burn Fat and Gain Muscle - exactly what I'm aiming for. I have seen some negative reviews saying it's just more of the same old same. In some ways they're right, but people some times need to have things pointed out to them, in a way that they make a connecti ...more
Feb 26, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
I really like the approach of this plan. Eat whole foods and depending on what kind of burner you are, eat accordingly. Hormones are a big key and I think it's forgotten a lot in the weight loss realm. Your metabolism is set partly by your hormones, so this book helps you balance your hormones and in turn re-set your metabolism. Really good info in this book
Kelli Stephenson
Oct 07, 2015 Kelli Stephenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Live the concepts in this book as far as weight loss through picking the right foods, the diet part is straight forward and rather simple. The included recipes were easy, making it much more likely that a person will follow.

The weight training section is also very simple and straightforward. The exercises are easy to follow with picture examples. Pick 4 exercises and do them over and over in a circuit, resting when needed, for 20-25 minutes.

The cardio part is what doesn't work for me. Walking (3
Mar 05, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-books-read
Hard to follow; poorly organized. Repeats a lot of information. Bottom line - low carb, clean eating and weights/circuit training.
Jan 11, 2016 Kb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, reviewed
When people asked me in the past what "diet" I was using to lose weight, I was at a loss for an answer. I didn't think that the ideas I was following had ever been gathered together and given a name. Now I have an answer to give people who are looking for guidance that works.

Personally, I am a calorie-counter and I could never blindly follow the advice in this book without an idea of how much I had consumed at the end of the day. But for people who hate calorie counting, this book presents an ea
Sep 11, 2011 kb rated it liked it
The title got me, what else can I say? Not that I haven't read anything similar to this healthy lifestyle plan but I took the risk because... the blurbs seemed real and honest, too. It sure had a lot to say about the right kind and amount of exercise to be done, but my favorite part was when I was made to take this quiz to find out whether I was a muscle or a sugar burner, or both (as foreseen, I am both), and it provided a detailed workout and diet plan for each type afterward, which all looked ...more
Jan 25, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! An eye opener!

I've tried a lot of 'eat-right' programs, the latest being the low-carb diet. I couldn't stay on it because I craved fruit, and the low-carb regimen discourages this highly enriched fiber food item - I had to move on. This book seems to be the all-around answer to what I've been looking for - I pray it will finally be the lasting food-stability/exercise life-style I crave.
Bree Taylor
Apr 29, 2015 Bree Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness, 2015
A good take on fitness and nutrition. The Metabolic explanation of hormone function in the body was excellent. The exercises were good, but provided no modifications for imbalances. The nutrition plan is extremely restrictive and, for me, brought entirely too much attention to number of bites eaten.
Aug 26, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this by my fiance's mom, who knew I was trying to lose a little bit of weight before the wedding.
The results were fantastic. My profile's recommendations weren't too different from the way I preferred eating; however, with the addition of protein bars and green tea, I have noticed positive changes in my mood, weight, and energy levels.
I love it because when my fiance's mom went on a diet, it would wreak havoc on my system, and I would sometimes put on weight. With this one, eve
May 18, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to get some things right, but not 100% convinced in everything the brothers Teta espouse here. That said, I do think that a few of the concepts here are helpful though such as adjusting number of bites of carbs to suit one's physiological needs and the concept of keeping HEC (hunger, energy, cravings) in check. At some degree, I also think it is a bad plan to make too many changes at once as I've never gotten very good results for long that way.
Abdullah Alwardi
Anyone can read and apply what's in this book and reap the benefits of it.
They theory behind their methodology is great .. And the practical instructions are even better.
Jan 22, 2015 Ivy rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Well, I didn't hate it as much as I expected. I never would have chosen this to read for myself, but it had some interesting ideas. Now...what will I do with the info? Hmmm.
May 23, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
The authors have some interesting suggestions about when to exercise, when not to exercise and how to eat to build muscle and lose fat. Easy to read and practical.
Sep 24, 2016 Krissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing revolutionary, but an easy read. My biggest problem with the book is the concept of a "reward meal" I really dislike the idea of using food as a reward. I wish they had referred to it as a "reset meal".
Jan 16, 2015 Errica rated it liked it
I really like the science, behind the scenes of burning fat. Interesting book.
Jenny Yelle
Jan 26, 2014 Jenny Yelle rated it really liked it
A good intro to the ME diet. The website has more detailed info about how hormones come into play with weight loss.
May 05, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, bookclub
A decent overview of nutrition and how different foods affect your individual biochemistry. Does a good job of explaining it all in lay terms and provides sound nutritional advice as well as some great mental coaching/behavioral change tips. Sticks to a low-starch philosophy, but explains why, and provides an easy style of eating that doesn't involve measuring out every portion of every food. Instead, provides guidance on "bites" of starches during each meal, which may be easier for most people.
Aug 29, 2016 Shilo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a ton of great information on how Metabolism works, something that is really important for me to know, as I have Hashimotos Thyroid Disorder. This condition hugely messes up my metabolism. Now if I could just stick with a healthy metabolic diet for myself maybe I would feel a lot better than I do. I highly recommend this to anyone who is a highly motivated individual and has been having problems understanding how to make their metabolism function at optimal peak.
Julie Colotti
Aug 08, 2011 Julie Colotti rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by a personal trainer that I have been seeing for a few weeks now. As I read, I'm finding the plan very logical. What I'm also learning is that while I eat fairly well already, I'm not eating enough. In the two weeks that I have been following the plan 'roughly' and making different choices and adding more food, I've lost and kept off a couple of pounds. I realize these results are not as dramatic as other folks, but I'll take it.
Dec 15, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book. I didn't like the approach, the exercise plan, or the eating plan. The book has received many good reviews - it just wasn't for me. There was one section that I really liked that discussed lifestyle choices we make (sleep, stress, alcohol, etc.) and their effect on our metabolism. It was convincing enough that I made some changes to my evening routine and sleep habits.
Aug 09, 2013 Tawnya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Planning to implement a lot of stuff from this book starting next week. Not for the workout piece,although I will be easing off some classes and focusing on functional fitness and keeping my cortisol levels down. My main focus will be on the rest and food choices to see how my body reacts hormonally. Going to give it 2 months, then reevaluate.
Oct 10, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many people will try and convince you that dieting is as simple as calories in and calories out but that is no longer the case. Genetically we are all very different and I love how this book outlines what are the best foods for your body type. I will keep the book on hand to reference often.
Jan 27, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Read, reread, and currently reading. This is the message that I needed to hear at this point in my life. So far, this diet has me feeling better and sleeping like a baby. I am looking forward to continuing the transition to making this my permanent way of life and becoming a better me.
Jul 17, 2012 Micki rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-diet
Another take on the same low to no-carb plans we've seen a million times. I enjoy the Metabolic Effect (ME) workout class at my gym, but this book was nothing new. Same idea as South Beach or Paleo. Fine if you haven't already read those, otherwise same old caveman plan.
Cori Macrae
Jan 28, 2016 Cori Macrae rated it liked it
Trying something a bit easier
Jan 20, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
I worked out with Jade and Keoni for several years. They are great trainers and extremely knowledgeable about nutrition and fitness. Their own levels of health and vitality are a testament to the efficacy of the methods they write about here.
Aug 28, 2014 Teacatweaves rated it it was amazing
Lots of great resource information. This is a great book for adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Nov 21, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
So far this diet book is different from the typical diet book. It doesn't count calories but focus on unlocking your fat burning hormones. I've found out I'm a sugar burner and need to watch my carb intake.
Nov 12, 2012 Anita rated it liked it
Loved the theory behind it. It made a lot of sense. But for me, it was hard to put into practice especially the weight training as it was hard to keep up without feeling shattered the next day.
Mar 29, 2015 Kammie rated it liked it
Like the idea of lifting weights and eating clean. Is a little extreme for me at the moment but adapting some of the lifestyle changes.
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To:  Free Yourself from Food Cravings:  Achieve Your Ideal Weight;  Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health;  Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Diet Recovery: Restoring Hormonal Health, Metabolism, Mood, and Your Relationship with Food (Diet Recovery #1)
  • Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Whole Body Barefoot Transitioning Well to Minimal Footwear
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Sexy by Nature: The Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-Long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence
  • The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage
  • Naked Calories: How Micronutrients Can Maximize Weight Loss, Prevent Disease and Enhance Your Life
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good