Start by marking “Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism” as Want to Read:
Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism

Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  65 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This exploration of the radical, yet ancient, idea that everything and everyone is God will transform how you understand your life and the nature of religion itself. While God is conventionally viewed as an entity separate from us, there are some Jews—Kabbalists, Hasidim, and their modern-day heirs—who assert that God is not separate from us at all. In this nondual view, e ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Trumpeter (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Is God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Is God

Chavi
Jan 17, 2012 Chavi rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
Early in the book, the author poses a startling question: If everything is God, why be Jewish?

A good question, once you’ve accepted the premise of nonduality, which is:

What we call God is simply a name for Existence. If you strip away the layers, at the core of everything you will find Him, It, You, God. Name it what you will, it is simply Being. It is Oneness. It cannot be defined, or delineated, and it definitely cannot be attributed desires, expectations, and moods.

The God we’ve come to know
Jsavett1
Feb 15, 2010 Jsavett1 rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing books about nondual/neo-Hasidic judiasm I've ever read. If you know nothing about this ancient strain of Jewish thought, this book will blow your mind; if you're familiar with these ideas, it is a wonderfully written summation of the non-dualist philosophy and how it can inform, revolutionize, and imbue traditional Jewish practice.

-----
I just re-read this book in one sitting on the first day of 2016 as a reminder of how deep are the truths contained within. It's always go
Greg Nigh
Jan 06, 2013 Greg Nigh rated it really liked it
Writing about non-duality is akin to giving a speech about the power of silence. To do either well requires a rare blend of eloquence, experience, imagination and patience. Ivan Illich managed to speak about the power of silence in just this way, which is transcribed and published in his excellent book In the Mirror of the Past: Lec. Michaelson writes about non-duality with equal deft.

"Everything is God" beautifully spans a distance between scholarship and personal journey. Michaelson writes fro
Michael Benami Doyle
May 26, 2012 Michael Benami Doyle rated it liked it
Shelves: judaica
This is such a great and a "meh" book at the same time. The nondual religious perspective will be no surprise to anyone with a background in the practice or study of eastern traditions like Buddhism or Hinduism. I have that background, and I ended up a Jew-by-Choice because at one point my inner sense of a somewhat intercessionary Deity no longer jibed with the God-absent (or at least, intercessionary God-absent) nondual perspective.

From my point of view--which I still hold to be a nondual view,
Linda
Sep 21, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
There's a lot of good stuff in here, but one line seems to sum up the author's approach, "If we only perform rituals that give us a certain feeling, then we are mistaking a certain feeling for God."

Isn't that what Jay Michaelson does? It seems to me that he models his observance level, not on Hasidic masters like the Baal Shem Tov or the Lubavitcher Rebbe, but on writers like Martin Buber and Abraham Joshua Heschel (beautiful writers and profound intellects) who made compromises with the modern
Jeneba Charkey
Aug 29, 2014 Jeneba Charkey rated it liked it
I feel the passion and the brilliance but I do not feel the warmth and the affection. My own "personal" relationship with the Divine is based upon more than mere intellectual appreciation, so although I find the writing and the train of thought to be compelling, I also find it to be chilly. Might try again to finish it, but....
Itai
Oct 02, 2009 Itai rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaism
Review of the book appeared in the Forward, Erev Sukkot, 2 October 2009. The book comes out in pb on 13 Oct (Amazon.com, $12.78)
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Jon-Erik
Jon-Erik rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Adam Sher
Adam Sher rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Willa Shalit
Willa Shalit rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Ethan J
Ethan J rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Lance Colie
Lance Colie rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
J Ariel
J Ariel rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Maya Rosas Artigas
Maya Rosas Artigas rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Romi
Romi rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2010
cory
cory rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Yael
Yael rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Dana Dillehunt
Dana Dillehunt rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Ruth Adar
Ruth Adar rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Richard L Boswell
Richard L Boswell rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Antonia Zenkevitch
Antonia Zenkevitch rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Todd Settimo
Todd Settimo rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jay Michaelson is the author of Everything is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism (Shambhala), as well as two other books and over 200 articles. A columnist for the Forward, Huffington Post, and Tikkun, Michaelson was recently named to the Forward 50 list of the most influential Jewish leaders in America. He is also executive director of Nehirim, a national nonprofit organization of GLBT Jews ...more
More about Jay Michaelson...