Start by marking “Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism” as Want to Read:
Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism

Everything Is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This exploration of the radical, yet ancient, idea that everything and everyone is God will transform how you understand your life and the nature of religion itself. While God is conventionally viewed as an entity separate from us, there are some Jews—Kabbalists, Hasidim, and their modern-day heirs—who assert that God is not separate from us at all. In this nondual view, e ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Trumpeter (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Everything Is God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Is God

Chavi
Mar 11, 2012 Chavi rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
Early in the book, the author poses a startling question: If everything is God, why be Jewish?

A good question, once you’ve accepted the premise of nonduality, which is:

What we call God is simply a name for Existence. If you strip away the layers, at the core of everything you will find Him, It, You, God. Name it what you will, it is simply Being. It is Oneness. It cannot be defined, or delineated, and it definitely cannot be attributed desires, expectations, and moods.

The God we’ve come to know
Jsavett1
Jan 01, 2016 Jsavett1 rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing books about nondual/neo-Hasidic judiasm I've ever read. If you know nothing about this ancient strain of Jewish thought, this book will blow your mind; if you're familiar with these ideas, it is a wonderfully written summation of the non-dualist philosophy and how it can inform, revolutionize, and imbue traditional Jewish practice.

-----
I just re-read this book in one sitting on the first day of 2016 as a reminder of how deep are the truths contained within. It's always go
Michael Benami Doyle
Jun 16, 2012 Michael Benami Doyle rated it liked it
Shelves: judaica
This is such a great and a "meh" book at the same time. The nondual religious perspective will be no surprise to anyone with a background in the practice or study of eastern traditions like Buddhism or Hinduism. I have that background, and I ended up a Jew-by-Choice because at one point my inner sense of a somewhat intercessionary Deity no longer jibed with the God-absent (or at least, intercessionary God-absent) nondual perspective.

From my point of view--which I still hold to be a nondual view,
Greg Nigh
Jan 08, 2013 Greg Nigh rated it really liked it
Writing about non-duality is akin to giving a speech about the power of silence. To do either well requires a rare blend of eloquence, experience, imagination and patience. Ivan Illich managed to speak about the power of silence in just this way, which is transcribed and published in his excellent book In the Mirror of the Past: Lec. Michaelson writes about non-duality with equal deft.

"Everything is God" beautifully spans a distance between scholarship and personal journey. Michaelson writes fro
Linda
Sep 21, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
There's a lot of good stuff in here, but one line seems to sum up the author's approach, "If we only perform rituals that give us a certain feeling, then we are mistaking a certain feeling for God."

Isn't that what Jay Michaelson does? It seems to me that he models his observance level, not on Hasidic masters like the Baal Shem Tov or the Lubavitcher Rebbe, but on writers like Martin Buber and Abraham Joshua Heschel (beautiful writers and profound intellects) who made compromises with the modern
Jeneba Charkey
Oct 07, 2014 Jeneba Charkey rated it liked it
Shelves:
I feel the passion and the brilliance but I do not feel the warmth and the affection. My own "personal" relationship with the Divine is based upon more than mere intellectual appreciation, so although I find the writing and the train of thought to be compelling, I also find it to be chilly. Might try again to finish it, but....
Itai
Oct 02, 2009 Itai rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaism
Review of the book appeared in the Forward, Erev Sukkot, 2 October 2009. The book comes out in pb on 13 Oct (Amazon.com, $12.78)
Peter G
Dec 20, 2012 Peter G rated it really liked it
Ayn od milvado.
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Story W.
Story W. marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2016
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Chad Willingham
Chad Willingham marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Mike Friedman
Mike Friedman rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Brendan Howard
Brendan Howard is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2015
Leora Eisenberg
Leora Eisenberg marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Drorah
Drorah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Antonia Zenkevitch
Antonia Zenkevitch rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Moti Rieber
Moti Rieber rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
J.R. Zyon
J.R. Zyon marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Willa Shalit
Willa Shalit rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jay Michaelson is the author of Everything is God: The Radical Path of Nondual Judaism (Shambhala), as well as two other books and over 200 articles. A columnist for the Forward, Huffington Post, and Tikkun, Michaelson was recently named to the Forward 50 list of the most influential Jewish leaders in America. He is also executive director of Nehirim, a national nonprofit organization of GLBT Jews ...more
More about Jay Michaelson...