Start by marking “Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse” as Want to Read:
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse

Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse

(Young Puffin Books).
Published March 28th 1959 by Puffin Books (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse

Riv
Jan 14, 2012 Riv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE in the world
Shelves: 1st-of-series
I loved this. I haven't read about the Little Wooden Horse in years, and I was so excited to pick him up again! He's so sweet, and agreeable, and determined, and hardworking, and, and and...
I think I'm in heart.

I recommend these books for EVERYONE. Seriously. EVERYONE. Read it to your little kids. Give it to that teenager you know that HATES reading. Give it to that 40 year old that you know LOVES reading. And buy it. And read it to your kids. Over and over and over again. Get your ancient copy
Lavinia
The little wooden horse is made out of wood by Uncle Peder, who sells wooden toys to children for a living. When he made the wooden horse (whose name is not written in the book) he decided that it did look so nice with its blue stripes and red saddle that he would sell it for five shillings. But when the town folk came out to buy Uncle Peder's toys, none of them had five shiny shillings to pay. Also, the little wooden horse had been crying to stay by his master's side, and nobody wanted a crying ...more
Astri Nardi (Asuka Mai)
*Review ini disertakan dalam 13 days reading Children & YA Literature

After i read this ebook, i just realized that this book is first published in 1938, so this book is very classic. Iwell, Children book is never been bored.

The story itself is about an adventurous horse who is abondened by his own or his toymaker's wife. He started to find his master again, and in his adventure, he found many friends. Actually, his master is struggling and facing hard times. So that he must looking for his o
Monica Edinger
Those stars are from my seven-year-old self. I lived in Germany that year and when we visited London during a school vacation (we had relatives there --- I still do), we always went to Foyle's where my parents stocked up on Puffins. I keep trying to find the edition I had (yellow cover), but boy did I love this book. I'm afraid to read it now, to be honest!
Mathew
This was a quaint book but very much of its time (1938). There is much related to servitude and best behaviour as a reward against slovenliness and mean-spiritedness. Each chapter sees the little wooden horse overcome some adversity through his strength, determination and humble character. As with many biblical stories, the horse can be seen to represent the prodigal son who returns home with wealth, assurity and an ability to support for those he loves.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance

Old children’s stories tend to veer toward the sappy so I was very worried about reading this one. No worries. Williams never even ventured into that territory; instead, she created the character of the little wooden horse so real yet so gently brave and daringly courageous that I would put him up on my list of Favorite Book Characters. I must obtain a copy of this book for my library. A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Alexandra
Jul 09, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming story about a life like wooden horse and the various adventures and mishaps on an unexpected journey. Some predictable plot lines, others surprising. Wonderful book to read aloud to kids 6-9.
All Booked Out
Aug 23, 2014 All Booked Out rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
I love love love this book, one that has stayed with me from childhood.
This is my favourite cover. So many memories.
Karen Gault
Aug 08, 2014 Karen Gault rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful adventure to read aloud. Ages 6+

Joseph Pembroke
My granddaughter gave this book four stars and I gave it two, so I settled on three stars. Just a few too many adventures for this little horse. I do like his dedication and determination.
Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A adventurous horse who is abandoned by his creator's (a toymaker) wife. He stumbles into lots of mishaps and finds new friends along the way on his search to find his master again. It has a happy ending. A book that although I have read many times, I still find is fun to read again. It can be read over and over! One of my favorite children's books.

Mitchy
Oct 24, 2011 Mitchy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
หนังสือเดกทีซือมาเพราะชอบภาพประกอบโดยแท แตใชเวลาอานแคแปบเดียว ลัดคิวเลมในกองรออานทังหลาย
คิดวาถาอานตอนเดกๆจะตองสนุกมากแนๆ แตพอมาอานตอนนีแลว กลับเหนวาการผจญภัยของเจามาไมทำไมมันดูนาสงสาร นาหดหูไปหมดเชนนี
โดนทำรายรางกาย โดนปลนเงินอยูตลอดเวลา หัวหลุดลอหลุด...ไมมีขอดี
การโตเปนผูใหญทำใหเรามองโลกในแงรายมากขึนจริงดวย
Tim
Jan 18, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-0-5
One of my childhood favourites. Read it with children when they were 3 and 1. It was just on the edge of holding their attention and not being too scary (the little wooden horse has some adventures as the title indicates!). By the middle of the book they were gripped and wanting the next chapter. The end was very exciting for them.
Lizzie Chapman
An action-packed read from the start! Another book I hadn't read since I was little, but just as good as I remember! The Little Wooden Horse is so determined, loyal and brave. The story all wraps up very quickly, but it was probably just as well, as I was exhausted by then after all his adventures!
H
Mar 29, 2012 H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a child- I must have read it several times and cried too . I still have the same book and have read it to all my children over the years.It is such a lovely tale of determination,hardworking,courage and love. A book I will treasure. LOVE IT.
Petra Be
Jun 01, 2015 Petra Be rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful story for little children. I wish I had been able to read it as a child. But even as an adult, I find it compelling. Even I wanted to know how the story would go on and I am sure children will love the stories.
Abby
Jun 23, 2012 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Read this every night to my 5 year old, she loved it. Sweet story, hard work pays off and be nice to others are key themes. Written in 1937 so a lot of irritating phrases like referring to a wife as the little wife...
Zina Riadh
Aug 29, 2012 Zina Riadh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was my first novel, i read it when i was seven years old and loved it...it made me laugh it made me cry and i have great memories of sharing it with my teacher. Perfect for a child to read.
H
Dec 04, 2012 H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my all time favourite book as a child and I must have it read to me and read it myself about 100 times over. there is nothing more endearing than a little wooden horse and his adventures.
The Bookworms
Feb 24, 2016 The Bookworms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noah (6): It was brilliant! It was very exciting! It was a very happy ending! Beth (5): It was very good. I liked the happy ending! I like it when he got lots of treasure on the island.
Fiona
Oct 26, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is from having read it as a child. I feel sad & distressed thinking about what happened to the toy in the book....at 50+. It obviously has had a traumatic effect!
Jessica Mclauchlan
This is the first book I remember my mother reading to me as a child. Such a magical tale full of adventure suspense and happiness eventually
Elaine
Mar 05, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the first books I ever read on my own and it started my love of literature. Fantastic. Enough said.
sue
Jan 02, 2011 sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book similar to Gobbolino, books you will never tire of reading.
Em
If this isn't enchanting enough, wait until he meets Gobbolino!
Shell
Jan 19, 2012 Shell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't remember details. Only read it as it was part of the series
Dianne
Oct 01, 2011 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little book. A good classroom read.
coco
May 22, 2009 coco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, kids
The first "chapter book" I ever read.
Daniel
Nov 10, 2010 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like it
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
  • Mr. Majeika
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • The Hodgeheg
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • The Real Thief
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Haunted House
  • Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Pejsek a kočička