Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For those who have suffered the loss of a loved one, here are strength and thoughtful words to inspire and comfort.
Published December 1st 1994 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Judith van Praag
This is the kind of book that continues giving. I added it to the list of books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died at birth in 1993 and the following four miscarriages. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself... And nothing like a writer who knows what will really help. Little things that help one center and come back to the core.
Molly
Best grief related devotional I'v ever found. It is fantastic. Full of awesome quotes. So affirming in so many ways.
Cyndy
Hard to believe a year has passed since I lost my soulmate.

This book, with one meditation for each day, helped me so much. Given to me by a dear friend, I didn't expect to relate to it as much as I did. The author wrote this book after her daughter died. It's not super religious. Rather, it deals with what the person grieving is feeling. Sometimes I feel so out of sync. Inevitably the meditation for that day would describe just what I felt. I'm thinking of starting it again.

I highly recommend...more
Tonya Wertman
Three months ago I lost my both of my parents suddenly and tragically to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a devastating loss and I have yet to find peace, but I bought this book for myself and as I read the daily meditations, I am provided with hope and comfort.

The passages are very deep and realistic, written by someone who has suffered a tremendous loss as well.

I hope I continue to gain comfort from this bedside companion.
Sevenponds
Martha W. Hickman has endured tremendous loss in her own life after her young daughter died unexpectedly in a riding accident. She grappled with many of the common phases that accompany grief: feeling entirely absorbed by sorrow, feeling guilt when not consumed by it and thinking happiness is no longer achievable before channeling those struggles into a thoughtful book that can help others.

Much like a day-to-day calendar, Healing After Loss catalogues every day of the year with a tidbit of reass...more
Nancy
I have read this book several times and continue to read excerpts from it over and over. It speaks to me. It comforts me.
Julie
This book was one of the reasons I made it through the hardest part of my grief...
Lenny Husen
Each of the 365pages from Jan 1 to Dec 31 has a quote, either from the author herself, a family member or a famous writer, then a short essay (a few paragraphs), then an uplifting thought for the day. This was excellent, and I recommend it to anyone going through grief or who has ever gone through a terrible grief. Doing that, "couldn't hurt" as the author says.

This deserves 5 stars for its heartfelt and very careful dedication to the journey of bereavement.
I did find the author, who has faith,...more
Mary
Of all grief books this is my absolute favorite. A daily prayer and inspirational passage, this helped me more than anything I had read. When I feel the wave wash over me 4 years after my loss I still turn to this book and flip to any page and feel the comfort I am in need of.
Karen Morgan
This book has a source of solace for me throughout the year since my spouse died. I have found that the entries are just the right length when my heart is heavy and my attention span limited. I have turned down the corners of many pages that I return to when I need comfort- I recommend a volume to keep by your bedside to reach for during dark times.
Miv
Oct 10, 2008 Miv rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has experienced loss
Two years ago I lost my 19 year old daughter. This book was an invaluable companion in negotiating the anguished terrain of loss. The author also lost a child years ago, and she truly understands the complex and overwhelming thoughts, feelings, and experiences that accompany such an immense loss.

The brief meditations and quotes are about right for our reduced attention span when we are so encompassed in grief. Just reading a page of the book sometimes gives me a ray of hope and inspiration to g...more
Julie
With an open mind I think this book could be useful to people dealing with many types of loss. My own copy is dog-eared, well thumbed, and sprinkled with tear stains. Not too preachy.
Michelle
Essential reading for anyone who has lost someone important to them.
Melissa
My friend The Surly Bookseller gave me this daily meditations book when my Daddy died in February 2007. I don't read it everyday or in order - just when I feel the need. I love the raw and thought provoking prompts it provides.
Parker
This book is of great help to anyone who is going through grief. As you read each day, you say... that is exactly how I feel and it is very helpful to know that you are not alone and to know that someone else understands exactly what you are feeling and wanting and needing.
Anna
This little volume has been wonderful. I might not read it faithfully each day, but when I catch up to the current day or two something good is right there for me.
Liz
Kathie
Most are healing thoughts, one a day. I don't relate to them all, but I do recommend this for those who have lost loved ones.
Curtiss Matlock
I'm learning that a major part of living life deals with loss. This gentle and wise book helps to navigate the journey.
Awilk -never sleeps-
Not a book that needs rating. If you are reading this you are going through hard times, and this may help you.
Kristen
This book has helped me deal with the loss of my father. I highly recommend it to anyone!
Allyson
May 12, 2011 Allyson marked it as to-read
Recommended to Allyson by: Darlene
I picked up this book when I needed it the most. I'm doing better now.
Maribeth
Best grief book I read and I still use it today.
Tamara
Just didn't do much for me.
Melinda Letzing
Melinda Letzing marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations for Working Through Grief When Andy's Father Went to Prison A Day of Rest Eeps Creeps, It's My Room! Last Week My Brother Anthony Died