Start by marking “Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief” as Want to Read:
Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

Healing After Loss:: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  492 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
For those who have suffered the loss of a loved one, here are strength and thoughtful words to inspire and comfort.
Published December 1st 1994 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Tonya Wertman
Jan 30, 2008 Tonya Wertman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-journey
Three months ago I lost my both of my parents suddenly and tragically to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was a devastating loss and I have yet to find peace, but I bought this book for myself and as I read the daily meditations, I am provided with hope and comfort.

The passages are very deep and realistic, written by someone who has suffered a tremendous loss as well.

I hope I continue to gain comfort from this bedside companion.
Judith van Praag
Mar 26, 2011 Judith van Praag rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that continues giving. I added it to the list of books that brought solace during period of grief and mourning after my baby had died at birth in 1993 and the following four miscarriages. There's nothing like recognition of what you've gone through/ are going through yourself... And nothing like a writer who knows what will really help. Little things that help one center and come back to the core.
Molly
Aug 10, 2012 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Best grief related devotional I'v ever found. It is fantastic. Full of awesome quotes. So affirming in so many ways.
Lenny Husen
Jun 26, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing
Each of the 365pages from Jan 1 to Dec 31 has a quote, either from the author herself, a family member or a famous writer, then a short essay (a few paragraphs), then an uplifting thought for the day. This was excellent, and I recommend it to anyone going through grief or who has ever gone through a terrible grief. Doing that, "couldn't hurt" as the author says.

This deserves 5 stars for its heartfelt and very careful dedication to the journey of bereavement.
I did find the author, who has faith,
Cyndy
Feb 15, 2012 Cyndy rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe a year has passed since I lost my soulmate.

This book, with one meditation for each day, helped me so much. Given to me by a dear friend, I didn't expect to relate to it as much as I did. The author wrote this book after her daughter died. It's not super religious. Rather, it deals with what the person grieving is feeling. Sometimes I feel so out of sync. Inevitably the meditation for that day would describe just what I felt. I'm thinking of starting it again.

I highly recommend
Andy Hickman
Jun 19, 2015 Andy Hickman rated it really liked it
Some great quotes in Martha Hickman's book.

Grief takes time and it can take up all of one's time.

“The mind has a dumb sense of vast loss – that is all. It will take mind and memory months and possibly years to gather the details and thus learn and know the whole extent of the loss.” - Mark Twain.

Cherish the present moment, savor the moments of goodness in the grieving journey.

“When we need these healing times, there is nothing better than a good long walk. It is amazing how the rhythmic movement
Sevenponds
May 20, 2014 Sevenponds rated it really liked it
Martha W. Hickman has endured tremendous loss in her own life after her young daughter died unexpectedly in a riding accident. She grappled with many of the common phases that accompany grief: feeling entirely absorbed by sorrow, feeling guilt when not consumed by it and thinking happiness is no longer achievable before channeling those struggles into a thoughtful book that can help others.

Much like a day-to-day calendar, Healing After Loss catalogues every day of the year with a tidbit of reass
Nancy
Jan 19, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times and continue to read excerpts from it over and over. It speaks to me. It comforts me.
Julie
Jan 09, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the reasons I made it through the hardest part of my grief...
Hilary
Feb 08, 2016 Hilary rated it it was amazing
A friend who had suffered great loss after the death of her son, sent me this book when my husband died. It is a treasure and offers daily meditations and inspirational quotes. It's easy to read at your own pace and I've found that I've gone back to certain sections time after time. This comforting book digs deep and has a permanent place not only in my library but my heart as well.
Mary
Jul 02, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Of all grief books this is my absolute favorite. A daily prayer and inspirational passage, this helped me more than anything I had read. When I feel the wave wash over me 4 years after my loss I still turn to this book and flip to any page and feel the comfort I am in need of.
Tammy Donnelly
Aug 31, 2014 Tammy Donnelly rated it it was amazing
I still have this book on my night table underneath a photo of my mother and nephew in Wildwood taken in 2005. My mother lost her fight with stage 4 lung cancer in November 2010 and this book was very helpful to me in the days, weeks and months after her death.
MaryLee Robinson, Author, The Widow or Widower Next Door
Jan 24, 2015 MaryLee Robinson, Author, The Widow or Widower Next Door rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone grieving a lost loved one
Recommended to MaryLee by: John Campbell
Healing After Loss was a gift to me from a friend, also widowed, right after my husband died. There were many early days when I clung to the works in this little devotional to keep going. They always brought me some peace. It is one of my favorites.
K Huber
Aug 16, 2015 K Huber rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a counselor after my husband died. The daily readings were very insightful and I have read it again and again. In fact, it's time to grab it off the shelf and read it again!
Lashon
Apr 13, 2016 Lashon rated it it was amazing
This book helped me so much when my mother died. Anytime a friend loses a loved one, I get them a copy.
Angela
Jul 21, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
I was given this book during a training for the work I'll be doing in bereavement this fall. It is lovely.
Heather
May 10, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
I keep this book by my bed and read an entry whenever I need - it's never a disappointment.
Deidre
Sep 19, 2014 Deidre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I carried the on my Kindle, and marked all of it up. So many things spoke to me.
Karen Morgan
Jan 09, 2014 Karen Morgan rated it really liked it
This book has a source of solace for me throughout the year since my spouse died. I have found that the entries are just the right length when my heart is heavy and my attention span limited. I have turned down the corners of many pages that I return to when I need comfort- I recommend a volume to keep by your bedside to reach for during dark times.
Judy Colburn
Apr 09, 2015 Judy Colburn rated it it was amazing
The best book for someone going through grief.
Janine Naparano
Jul 15, 2014 Janine Naparano rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Still reading, its a daily read
Miv
Oct 10, 2008 Miv rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has experienced loss
Two years ago I lost my 19 year old daughter. This book was an invaluable companion in negotiating the anguished terrain of loss. The author also lost a child years ago, and she truly understands the complex and overwhelming thoughts, feelings, and experiences that accompany such an immense loss.

The brief meditations and quotes are about right for our reduced attention span when we are so encompassed in grief. Just reading a page of the book sometimes gives me a ray of hope and inspiration to g
Julie
Jan 05, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
With an open mind I think this book could be useful to people dealing with many types of loss. My own copy is dog-eared, well thumbed, and sprinkled with tear stains. Not too preachy.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone who has lost someone important to them.
Melissa
Feb 09, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
My friend The Surly Bookseller gave me this daily meditations book when my Daddy died in February 2007. I don't read it everyday or in order - just when I feel the need. I love the raw and thought provoking prompts it provides.
Parker
Apr 14, 2008 Parker rated it it was amazing
This book is of great help to anyone who is going through grief. As you read each day, you say... that is exactly how I feel and it is very helpful to know that you are not alone and to know that someone else understands exactly what you are feeling and wanting and needing.
Anna
Aug 09, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
This little volume has been wonderful. I might not read it faithfully each day, but when I catch up to the current day or two something good is right there for me.
Chris Yavelow
Jun 03, 2015 Chris Yavelow rated it liked it
Shelves: grief
Good for seeing the approaches to grief from many different faiths or lacks thereof. Most of the authors of these one page reflections are quite well known.
Kathie
May 06, 2014 Kathie rated it really liked it
Most are healing thoughts, one a day. I don't relate to them all, but I do recommend this for those who have lost loved ones.
Curtiss Matlock
I'm learning that a major part of living life deals with loss. This gentle and wise book helps to navigate the journey.
  • I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye: Surviving, Coping and Healing After the Sudden Death of a Loved One
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • How To Go On Living When Someone You Love Dies
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life
  • Experiencing Grief
  • Good Grief: A Faith-Based Guide to Understanding and Healing
  • Unattended Sorrow: Recovering from Loss and Reviving the Heart
  • Grieving Mindfully: A Compassionate and Spiritual Guide to Coping with Loss
  • A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows through Loss
  • You Were Always Mom's Favorite!: Sisters in Conversation Throughout Their Lives
  • How to Survive the Loss of a Love
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • Just 2 Seconds
  • Love, Mom: A Mother's Journey From Loss to Hope
  • Lament for a Son
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • The Art of Losing: Poems of Grief and Healing

“Whoever survives a test, whatever it may be, must tell the story. That is his duty. —ELIE WIESEL” 3 likes
“Sometimes when I am feeling down, I am my own worst enemy. Let me be my friend.” 3 likes