Start by marking “El padrino” as Want to Read:
El padrino

El padrino (Mario Puzo's Mafia)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  247,999 Ratings  ·  5,038 Reviews
The Godfather is the Mafia leader Vito Corleone, a benevolent despot who stops at nothing to gain and hold power. Set in Long Island, Hollywood and Sicily, this is a story of a feudal society within society which does not hesitate to consolidate its power.
Hardcover, Trama, 477 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Ediciones B (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about El padrino, please sign up.

Lawand In 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but…moreIn 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but the Corleone family is featured heavily throughout, Michael Corleone in particular. Chronologically this story sits between Michael's exile to Sicily in 1950 to his return to the USA.

In 2004, Random House published a sequel to Puzo's The Godfather, The Godfather Returns, by Mark Winegardner. A further sequel by Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, was released in 2006. The sequel novels continue the story from Puzo's novel.(but it is for a different author)

In 2012, a prequel, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, titled The Family Corleone was written by Ed Falco. It tells the story of how Vito Corleone rises to Don and how Sonny Corleone and Tom Hagen enter the family business.

hope this answer helps :) (less)

Manny
"Come in."

"Ah, Don Corleone, I'm sorry to trouble you -"

"Sit down."

"Thank you, Don Corleone -"

"Where is your mother from?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother, she is from Italia. Which town?"

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Kerstin
Mar 17, 2008 Kerstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm one of the people who watched the whole movie trilogy and then after that found out that The Godfather
exists as a novel. Naturally, I had to purchase it.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose, but next to the movies - so elegant and grandiose - it feels a bit like reading pulp fiction. Maybe it's that the book is lacking the presence of charismatic Hollywood giants Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, whose legendary performances rival those of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. It's h
Ahmed
Jul 15, 2016 Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

قد تكون هي الجملة الأشهر فى تاريخ صناعة السينما , ولكن قبل أن ينطق بها العظيم مارلون براندو , كان قد خطها قلم روائي مبدع فى أحد الروايات الخالدة .

الفيلم الذى نادرا ما تجد أحد يكرهه (خاصة لو رجل ) فهو سحر السينما مجسدًا , فله تأثير السحر ومفعوله وبريقه الذى لا يُقاوَم.

قرأت نسخة إنجليزية لهذا العمل من حوالي سنتين , وللحق فهي أكثر القراءات الأجنبية التى استمتعت بها رغم أنها كانت تجربة مرهقة جدا بالنسبة لي , المهم أننا هنا لا نتحدث عن مجرد عمل روائي بل نت
Stephanie
Jul 12, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2015
The Godfather by Mario Puzo rocks!!

I have watched the awesome movie several times (as well as Godfather 2 and 3) and LOVED it... Finally, read the book and it was worth it! Got a bit more background and color around some of the characters and didn't mind re-visiting the Corleone family!!

I think that most people are well familiar with the plot; therefore, not going to recap it again.

Let's just leave it at - this is a book focusing on bad guys / mafia with a lot of action -- violence, sex, alcohol
Kaion
Apr 13, 2012 Kaion rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, school, seen
Indeed, dear reader, I did not hate The Godfather. I h-aa-ted it.

How much did I hate it? Well I could start with a long dissemination of Mario Puzo's simplistic and repetitive prose. Puzo seems to think the reader needs a reminder of plot points that occured ten pages ago, and that unnecessarily drawing out an obvious reveal by splitting it up into three points of view counts as suspense.

Or I could give you a thorough cataloguing of how very poser-y The Godfather, with its bombastic ideas of mas
Mahdi
خنده دار است كه تا بيست سال پيش شبه روشنفكران ما، با چه چيزهايى پز مى دادند! با ديدن فيلم بن هور، ئى تى، جنگ ستارگان، فيلم هاى عامه پسند هاليوودى كه مخاطبشان نوجوان هاى پانزده ساله بودند! يعنى به عبارت ديگر، به دليل عقب ماندگى فرهنگى عمومى، هر چيزى كه از زيردست "از ما بهتران" در مى آمده را روى هوا مى قاپيدند به خيال اين كه گوهرى يگانه است.

بايد دسترسى به محصولات فرهنگى غرب گسترش مى يافت تا تحصيلكرده ها كم كم دريابند تفاوتى هست بين جنايت و مكافات با اينديانا جونز، بين داستايوسكى و استيون اسپيلبرگ،
Hasham Rasool
It was a very good book. Alhamdulillah. I can't wait to get The Family Corleone and The Sicilian books.

The Godfather is one of my favourite books. Alhamdulillah!

My favourite characters are Vito Corleone/Godfather and Michael Corleone.

The Godfather and part 2 of The Godfather movies were awesome.

The Godfather part 3 was pointless! The only part I actually enjoy watched The Godfather part 3 was 15 minutes before at the end of the film.
Israel
Jul 15, 2008 Israel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The epic masterpiece of mafia fiction. Puzo is good and entertaining elsewhere, here is great and masterful. It is to mobster books what Godfather parts 1 & 2 are to mobster movies...a standard that can never be equalled. What really intrigues me about Puzo's presentation of the Corleone family, and something that does not translate as explicitly to the screen, is the incredible sense of moral and religious conviction that what they do is right and good. At times I found myself believing tha ...more
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2008 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York
Matt
Apr 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I’m sure you’ve had the timeless book-verses-movie argument before. Everyone has. You’re standing at the water cooler at work, and a coworker comes up to you and says “Boy, The English Patient is an excellent movie!” And maybe you say something back like “Michael Ondaatje’s Booker-Prize winning novel is far superior.” At that point, your coworker calls you a “pretentious snob” and you respond with “sewer-dwelling ignorance peddler.” There is some cursing. Maybe someone throws water on the other. ...more
Jr Bacdayan
May 19, 2013 Jr Bacdayan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"..for Justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

In a world where laws are broken, where the government is only a puppet, where murder is routine and safety a rare thing, Don Corleone holds all the strings. He is the avenging angel, the thief in the night, the protector of the poor, the warrior of the wops, the ultimate puppeteer. He is the loving father, the faithful husband. He is the Godfather.

Don Vito, Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, the entire family, they're like the
Lou
Apr 27, 2013 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that demands re-read has been long time ago for now..

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Apr 28, 2013 ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one actually :/:
Recommended to ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ by: Priya's Mom
The Godfather by Mario Puzo...

Gimme one reason why there was NO CAT IN THE BOOK???
But they added one in the movie, huh.

So, the Godfather is this guy:

Most loved him, I didn't so I'm not going to talk about him. But his ideals are kinda cool.
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family."
“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.”
“A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
"Every
Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-list
New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.
Xime García
: Me gustó, nada extraordinario.

2.75 en realidad.

Mario Puzo, mis disculpas, es que
description

Solo para ambientar el momento: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vA7...

Son pocas las veces que leo el libro después de ver la película y en un 90% de los casos siempre digo, SIEMPRE como filosofía de vida, que "el libro es mejor".

Me he topado, por supuesto, con excepciones.

Este es uno de los casos más nombrados cuando "la película supera al libro" se trata. Y no lo digo porque el libro sea malo. Honestamente l
Hayat
4.5

I knocked off half a star because all the women were one dimensional characters without any substance and also some of the scenes were repetitive. Other than that, I loved this book. It was addictive.

Mario Puzo’s prose might be simplistic but he presents an incredibly thrilling and intricate tale about the Mafia underworld set in the 1940's America which is centred on the Italian American family, the Corleones.

But Don't be mistaken into thinking the women of the family have anything to do wi
Hussein Dehghani
رمان پدرخوانده، کل فیلم اول و قسمت های جوانی دان ویتو کورلئونه (با بازی رابرت دنیرو در فیلم دوم) را در بر دارد. باقی فیلم دوم و فیلم سوم در کتاب نیستند و فیلمنامه های پدرخوانده و با مشارکت ماریو پوزو نوشته شدند. در اینجاست که تفاوت ها با نگاه پوزو مشهودتر است. مثلا پوزو در مصاحبه ای ذکر می کند که قسمت کشته شدن فرودو به دستور مایکل، پس از مرگ مادرشان، با نظر کارگردان، یعنی کوپولا خلق شده و خود پوزو با این قسمت از داستان، مخالفت می کند اما به نتیجه ای نمی رسد. به نظر پوزو چنین کاری از مایکل، با ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This book supplied the words "Don" and "Mafia" to Indian languages. Now, a cartel of land-grabbers is a "Land Mafia"; there are illicit liquor traders who run "Spirit Mafias" - in Kerala, there are even gangs who do illicit extraction and sale of river sand who are called "Sand Mafia"! Similarly, any two-bit gang leader in the city is called an underworld "Don". Verily, Vito Corleone must be turning in his grave.

However, it shows how much we have been influenced by this landmark novel. In my ear
Manju
Apr 30, 2015 Manju rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manju by: Srividya
I saw the movie few years ago and loved it. I was unaware at that time that its an adaptation of a book of same name. Courtesy Goodreads I finally came to know of this fact. But still I was in no mood to read the book until my friend Srividya recommended it to me.

There are so many aspects of the book that I loved but characterization simply blew me away. Puzo has given his characters so much depth. Don Corleone, Michael, Tom Hagen, hot-headed Sonny and every other character was brilliant. Corleo
Komal
Nov 28, 2014 Komal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"He doesn't accept the rules of society we live in because those rules would have condemned him to a life not suitable to a man like himself, a man of extraordinary force and character. He operates on a code of ethics he considers far superior to the legal structures of society."

In the span of our reading and being read, The Godfather and I traveled between three different countries. Although, having failed to appear in my favourites' shelf (a promotion still debatable) it most definitely
Adam
Dec 06, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a sin to watch the movie before reading this book! Well written and full of power, lust, and violence! Also implicates very strong family ties! My kind of fiction!

Some favorite quotes from this book...

"Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

"I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, made a good living, the police protected you and there were courts of law and you didn't need a friend like me. But, now you come to me and you say "Don Corleon
Melki
Jun 09, 2011 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in tenth grade to impress a guy whose name I no longer remember. He sat in front of me in a class where, I'm pretty sure, I learned absolutely nothing. (I also had a crush on the guy behind me. His name was Greg, and he wanted to start a war with Canada. Another time, perhaps...)
My primary heartthrob had a unique talent - he could surreptitiously spit out of the side of his mouth. (Be still my heart!) One day, the kid who sat beside him, who had the unfortunate last name - Mumm
Brian
May 01, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, drama, 2016
Vito Corleone grew up in Sicily. His father died and he escaped with his life. They call Vito the Don, or the Godfather. If you need true help, where do you go? Nothing exists outside the laws of our land. Except the law of the Godfather, and his law of power, and money, and business.

Vito loves his sons. They mean essence of life to him. Vito grows old. He gets shot several times and lands in a hospital bed. The family strives to keep and protect in this war of mob families. Sonny Corleone, t
Pramod Nair
May 17, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics, crime
“I don't trust society to protect us, I have no intention of placing my fate in the hands of men whose only qualification is that they managed to con a block of people to vote for them.” - The definitive gangster novel and an absolutely brilliant Thriller!

I read 'The Godfather' novel after watching the movie and after reading 'The Sicilian'. I am a great fan of both the novel and the movie.

'The Godfather' is one of those novels which is well written with very powerful characters and moments and
Wayne Barrett

I don't know what has taken me so long to read this book. I first saw the movie more than 40 years ago and have watched it several more times since. I love the movie and have told myself for years that I should read the novel. Well, it has been my loss. This was a fantastic story.

There were a couple of week areas that I could have done without, especially the areas focused on Johnny Fontaine, but the rest of the book was good enough that I can ignore those few lags.

I'm not going to retrace the
Ryan
Nov 28, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
Everything about this book is brilliant. Six stars.

The Bad:
It was adapted into a couple of excellent films that aren't quite as good as the novel.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
I'm tempted to be lazy and say that Michael is Joey, but instead I will say that he is most like Rachel, without offering any further explanation.
Sean O'Hara
Mar 29, 2010 Sean O'Hara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pot-boiler, mob
"The book is always better than the movie" is one of those truisms that people repeat uncritically. But anyone who's widely read knows that's not true at all -- many great movies are based upon awful books. The two most commonly cited examples are Peter Benchley's Jaws and Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Now personally, I don't even think Jaws is that great of a movie, so reading a book that's even worse has no appeal to me. But the supposed awfulness of The Godfather interests me. So when I found a ...more
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book is not for the faint of heart. It has violence, murder, and sexy times. Also cheating.

This book was great, really engaging in it's story telling. It sucked me in. The descriptions were really vivid. I felt like I was there. It was like watching a movie.

Don Vito was my favorite character.

It lived up to the hype.

I can't wait to watch the movie! :D

Maya Khan
Jan 07, 2014 Maya Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to join a gang after I read this book. Seriously I was in a funk and did everything Italian. I even put on a weird accent and quoted directly from the book. I wont say what people thought of it but you get the drift. I was living in the book and that's something, coming from me because I don't really get involved in many books/ movies.. ItWas brilliant! I never knew I'd enjoy such genres so much. I still remember threatening my then boyfriend now my husband, Godfather style! I'm afraid ...more
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN for Hardcover? 2 16 Apr 27, 2016 10:35AM
What now? 29 246 Dec 24, 2015 04:55AM
what is the order of the Godfather book series? 3 127 Dec 24, 2015 04:44AM
2016 Reading Chal...: 1969-The Godfather 1 15 Sep 05, 2015 09:39PM
Who Would You Cast in a Modern Remake? 21 233 May 10, 2015 12:58PM
  • Wiseguy
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Airport
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Fear is the Key
  • Katherine
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Jaws
  • The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...

Mario Puzo's Mafia (7 books)
  • The Sicilian
  • The Last Don
  • Omerta
  • The Godfather Returns
  • The Godfather's Revenge
  • The Family Corleone

“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.” 1420 likes
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.- Don Corleone” 906 likes