Start by marking “Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1

Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 (Chi's Sweet Home / チーズスイートホーム #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,979 ratings  ·  291 reviews
Chi is a michievous newborn kitten who, whileon a leisurely stroll with her family, finds herself lost. Seperated from the warmth and protection of her mother, feels distraught. Overcome with loneliness she breaks into tears in a large urban park meadow., when she is suddenly rescued by a young boy named Yohei and his mother.Thekitty is then quickly and quietly whisked awa ...more
Published June 29th 2010 by Vertical (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
189th out of 891 books — 2,611 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
16th out of 574 books — 272 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
because i feel like i have to review every book i read, i will quickly say that this book is adorable, and chi may be my favorite cat of all time. (i am not counting doraemon as a cat for the purpose of that statement, because he's like some kind of magical supra-cat)my favorite stuffed animal, besides my bunny, is the stuffed chi that sylvia sent me from japan - oh, he is so tiny and curled-up.

[image error]

that's all i have to say about chi for now.
Crowinator
All I wanted was something super cute. And this only sort-of delivered. The artwork is bright and stylish and the panels are easy to follow, and Chi the kitten behaves like a real one would (trust me, I grew up with cats, lots of cats). I was impressed with Konami's ability to convey kittenhood with such simple artwork.

However. Chi the kitten narrates in cutesy-wutsey baby tawk. Just wike dis. Oh, it is so adowable. Wight? Isn't dis adowable?

No, no it isn't. And that is why this has been upgrad
Sara
Yet another in the "adorable cat graphic novel" genre, this time from Japan. This is a really lovely book. As a person who got a kitten for the first time in the last year, I can verify that it is very accurate. The thing I really like about this is that it's not just accurate about the cat's behavior, but how humans act around cats!

And how awesome cats are and how they so quickly become integral to your life if you have one. Yes. I am a cat lady. It's my cat's fault. This first volume very acc
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I think very highly of this series so far. True, not much goes on, but Chi is delightful. If you have ever lived with a cat, you will probably find quite a bit of Chi's behavior and the Yamada family's experiences to be familiar. And, if you're like me, you may find yourself wishing you could have a big Chi poster to plaster on one of your walls.

The things the Yamadas go through with Chi are things many cat owners (or pet owners, in general) go through when they get their first cat, especially w
Amy
My friend Pam knew that I was considering a foray into the world of graphic novels, and one day I came into work and saw Chi's Sweet Home smiling at me from my desk--a recommendation from Pam.

Chi really couldn't be a cuter kitten, and the story of Chi's adventures and antics will ring true for many (all?) cat owners. The book was sweet, funny, and surprisingly touching, and the art was bright, peppy and fun. Pam was right, though, the story is a bit juvenile, and that is especially emphasized by
Bucletina
Apr 26, 2014 Bucletina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gatólogos
No puede ser más lindo esto. Supongo que su completa focalización en el felino y su familia vuelve a este manga delicioso para algunos e insufrible para otros. Para mí es de lo más dulce y simpático. Sobre todo teniendo en cuenta que el POV está puesto en Chi y lo que piensa mientras despliega su comportamiento típicamente gatístico.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Jun 16, 2009 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers;children at heart. manga--in Japanese
Recommended to Noran by: myself
LOVE IT!!!CAT LOVERS UNITE!!! JOY! JOY! HAPPY1 HAPPY!
You do not have to read Japanese to be delighted by this delightful COLORED series about a lost kitten and his.her new family. CUTE!!!! $9 US cheap too. Love the drawing style and the kitten's flashbacks to thinking about it's mother. sold sealed--so i did break the wrapper--knowing I had to buy it, but loved it. Heading back to the little store soon to get the rest of the series, and another set for a friend as a gift.
Hadrian
You know what? I've just read 3000 pages over the past month on the history of violence. Tonight, I'm going to read a book consisting entirely of cat pictures to relax.

Much better. Hehe. Kitty. Stop being so silly.
Karissa

Oh, the cuteness! This is an awesome graphic novel that is excellent for all ages and definitely a must read for cat lovers.

Chi (the kitten) gets lost from his mother and then found by a toddler boy. The toddler (Yohei) convinces his mother to take the cat home until they find its owner. Yohei and his family live in an apartment where they can’t have pets. However, as Yohei’s family struggles to find a new home for Chi, they get more and more attached to the little guy. Chi also gets more and mo
Nicola Mansfield
Nov, 2010: Reason for Reading: This is a Cybils '10 nominee and required reading for me as a graphic novels panelist.

I've had pet cats in the past but I'm not what you could call one of those "cat people" so it's hard to believe, but I was completely charmed with this book. An easy book to read with many wordless panels and sparse simple text that can be read by any 2nd grader. The illustrations virtually tell the story by themselves they are so expressive. This is the story of a little kitten,
MissAnnThrope
26 April 2013

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, and needed something light and happy to cheer me up. Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 did exactly that and then some. How could this grumpy face not make you smile?

description

Chi's mischievous adventures had me laughing out loud. Her innocent curiosity as she explores her new world reminds me a lot of Yotsuba&!, which happens to be another fantastic book to lift your spirits. I personally find Chi's baby talk to be adorable. If it were a person talking in thi
Sarah Sammis
Oct 29, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: All About Manga
Chi's Sweet Home 01 by Kanata Konami is about a little kitten and the family who adopts her when she is separated from her mother and siblings. I read the book because we recently took in a stray kitten and I was looking for something different to read.

I normally shy away from stories told from the point of view of an animal because most authors can't pull it off. Konami is a rare exception. This mangaka gets cats both in terms of personality and in body language.

Although the artwork is amazingl
Dolor Nocturno
¿Puedo confesar que me gustó demasiado? Ok. Lo que más me mataba eran las caritas que ponía el gato. Una lástima que sólo pude leer hasta el Vol. 6, Cap. 103.
Veré si lo puedo conseguir en formato papel para tenerlo en mi biblio (pos gran donación).

Me lo como >.<

VeganMedusa
I grabbed a couple of these books from the library for my 7 year old, because they looked very cute. Before long he was begging me for the next books, so now we have the first 5 books out. He must have read all 5 books at least a couple of times each so far - with lots of "Mum, Chi did this, now Chi's doing that.." talk that always indicates a well-loved book.
So finally I decided to see what the fuss was about. So cute, and very well done. Not much dialogue but it's all just perfect. I giggled a
Starbubbles
I'm surprised how much I liked this. It's super cute, adorable, and highly addictive. It's about a lost kitten that meets a new family. I mean, I should have been bored out of my mind! Instead I found myself laughing at the little kitten's antics and just loving this cat as it grows up.
Eveymorgan
Como me he divertido leyendo el manga y qué cortito se me ha hecho!!
Ahora necesito hacerme con el número 2.

Es imposible no enamorarse de Chi.
Logan
We wanted to love these books. The stories are so sweet and right up Logan's cat-loving alley. And they are indeed great, if I read them aloud. But as beginning reader, Logan found this pretty frustrating. To begin with, most of the text is sound effects. For example, meow, miaow, miu, meowr, mee ow, miuu, mrreow, fwshh, fwish, fwoosh, vrrrr, wobbl, fwump, gya, kyaa, growor, yoink, sproing, thud, bwaaaah, waaah, gwaa, argh, wuff (and that's all just in the first 25 pages). It was confusing to ha ...more
Christyn
Okay, I picked this up because Chi is possibly one of the cutest (cartoon) kittens I've seen. I adored Chi and her new family. It was adorable. This graphic novel follows along as Chi adapts to her new family (and they to her) while being hidden from the landlady (no cats allowed in building). And Chi's adorable cat antics - some cat owners will recognize in their own cats (or even pet owners in general). It was fun, sweet, and unexpectedly touching - I mean who wouldn't sympathize with poor Chi ...more
Marcia
This is a popular graphic novel at my school, so I grabbed it to see what the attraction was. I was disappointed. While the illustrations are very cute and endearing, the translation is icky. The kitten uses words like "pwaypen" and "scarewy" which I don't think are helpful to new or struggling readers and quickly become irritating. Most of the story concerns itself with the kitten learning to use the bathroom. Eew.
Michael Schmid
Zum Inhalt | 本文 |

Mein Name ist Chi und ja, ich bin eine kleine Katze und ja, ich bin traurig, weil ich meine Mama verloren habe. Erst waren wir noch in der Stadt unterwegs und dann, urplötzlich, war sie einfach verschwunden. Doch eine Familie hat mich bei sich aufgenommen und jetzt versuche ich mich bei ihnen durchzuschlagen, bis ich meine Mama wiederfinde.

Doch wo ist sie nur geblieben?

Meine Meinung | 私議 |

Mit der »Kleinen Katze Chi« haben wir auch für mich etwas ganz neues in der Hand und zwar e
The Styling Librarian
Chi’s Sweet Home series by Konami Kanata – What an adorable new graphic novel series to discover! I loved the little kitten’s perspective, quite a treasure. Really enjoying reading this adorable kitten perspective series about a little kitten adopted into a family living in an apartment which doesn’t allow pets. This series is overflowing with cuteness.
Sara
Oh my gosh, this manga is adorable and so funny. Better than the anime which was kind of annoying if I recall. (It's much easier to read meows over and over than to have them forced on your ears.) I especially loved the measures they had to take to get Chi to her first vet visit while still keeping her a secret from the super and the landlady!
carl caesar
Un manga ligero y fácil de leer. Extremadamente divertido para los que tenemos gatos en casa, y en general a todo aquel que le gusten los gatos.

La história del gato Chi resulta muy graciosa y cotidiana.

Creo que esta serie merece mucho la pena, graciosa en la história como en el dibujo.
CHI IS SO KAWAII! Nothing really happens in this comic, but it's so fun to read. Chi gets lost, finds a family, learns how to use the litter box, plays and generally gets into trouble like most kittens do. It's fun for anyone, really, but you have to specifically be in the mood for something cute and childish. The translation from Japanese is sort of awkward, since Chi is basically named by a potty training child saying "pee", or the Japanese "chi". It doesn't really make sense saying chi in Eng ...more
Selena
Jul 22, 2011 Selena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat Lovers
This is the kind of book you get for someone who loves their cat. I found myself laughing at just about everything and saying, "Wow, my cat does this all the time!"

Kitten Mischief is adorable~
Courtney
I read this during my break today. I loved it. It was so cute. I'm glad the kitty got to stay with the family. Can't wait to see what happens in the next one.
Maria DeCecco
Very cute, very sweet book. I actually really liked the color format, even though that usually throws me off now that I'm so accustomed to black and white manga. This was an adorable book mostly from the point of view of a kitten who was being brought into a new home. It's not deep, it's not full of twists and turns, but it was a very pleasant read that left a smile on my face and warmed my heart a bit. Planning to pick up the rest of the series! My one gripe: the use of the baby voice, using 'w ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
well, this is just the best thing ever. manga about a cat called chi who is adorable. a must read.
Kristy
Chi's Sweet Home is easily the cutest thing I've ever read. Chi, a tiny kitten, gets lost from her mother and siblings, and is found and taken in by a small family- The Yamadas. The Yamada family is comprised of a mom, a dad, and little boy named Yohei. Yohei and Chi have an instant connection, and the Yamada family keeps Chi despite living in an apartment that doesn't allow pets.

Though Chi initially misses her cat family, she slowly forgets about them and learns to love her new home and family
Breanne Pemberton
This was such a delightful read. It's the first time I've read such a long story from the perspective of a cat. It has made me think a lot about the relationship with my feline friend and maybe, just maybe she feel's a bit the way Chi does throughout this book. Filled with human emotions of owning a new kitten with an imagined insight so great you might just forget a woman wrote these cats thoughts. On top of all the great things I've already mentioned, the illustrations are adorable and colored ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Publication Date? 3 29 Mar 21, 2012 07:03PM
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 02 (Yotsuba&! #2)
  • A Bride's Story 02
  • Bunny Drop 1 (Bunny Drop, #1)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Owly, Vol. 5: Tiny Tales
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 2 Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 3 Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4 Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 5 Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 6