Start by marking “The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice” as Want to Read:
The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice

The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga's Ethical Practice

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The first two limbs of the eight-fold path of yoga sutras—the basic text for classical yoga—are examined in this spiritual guide to the practice of yoga. Foundational to all yogic thought, they are considered to be the guidelines to the yoga way of livingthat free individuals to take ownership of their lives, direct them toward the fulfillment they seek, and gain the skill ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by On-Word Bound Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Yamas & Niyamas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yamas & Niyamas

Wendy
Feb 09, 2012 Wendy is currently reading it
Interesting that others are also writing reviews while reading this book. It's a book that reads like a delicious bit of chocolate. It needs to be read in small bites, preferably at night, just before sleep. It's become my "chocolate on the pillow" every night. Tonight I read a bite about the importance of occasionally carrying your own heavy things (metaphorically and literally) and how you become weaker if you let others do your "heavy lifting" all the time. This rang so true on a day when som ...more
Deb
Mar 22, 2013 Deb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
So far, this is one of the most accessible books I've found to start exploring the first two "limbs" of Patanjali's Sutras. What I do like is it provides guidelines and structure to explore. This isn't a book that I'll zip through. It'll take time to work through and explore each piece. The chapters on Ahimsa come first, and that's where I seem to stay! (Guess I really need to work on that concept! LOL)

If you're curious and want to explore the philosophical basis of Yoga, and start with Patanjal
Jasmine
Liked the book so much that I bought a personal copy, to remind myself everyday of the Principles.

I would highly recommend the book to all. Wish more people followed the principles in this book rather that the 48 laws to power.
There is more power in this book.
One of the best practical translation of Patanjali YOga sutras.
Dixie
Wonderful book that opens up doors when we open up ourselves. I'm spiritual but not religious and yet this book spoke to me. Things have already changed for the better as I have started to actively live by the Yamas and Niyamas. Life can be difficult at times but it is how we go about it that ultimately defines our life. My favorite quote in the book was "we are not human beings trying to be spiritual; we are spiritual beings trying to be human."
Bonnie
I am taking my first yoga class and we are reading this. I would recommend this to anyone interested in yoga.
Annette
Ah, this philosophical yoga guide (the meta-ethics)…is a great catalyst for change. Until one has practiced these ethical principles, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. So glad to read this treasure. Discerning between "truth" and "real," priceless. How much sweeter can practicing and living yoga be? Meant to be re-read to keep balance, compassion and love flowing in your life.
Verena
Good concepts presented bible-study style. I was expecting a more objective, historical approach instead of a narration of personal experiences and applications derived from such.
Navpreet
One of those books that you can (and I have) read multiple times and it will resonate with you differently each time.
Linda
Nov 09, 2014 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: yoga
A really great "first read" into yogic philosophy. Very easy to understand and build a foundation for further study.
Alana
I really enjoyed this book. The author's backgrounds in asana, religion, and psychology really shape her writing and make the yamas and niyamas approachable to the reader. I enjoyed her perspective overall, and found this to be a great guide to the ethical practice of yoga.
Sandy
Excellent little book with profound concepts of living a well-ordered and joyful life. As required reading for Yoga teacher certification, it has become my daily read - the contents of a single paragraph considered throughout the day create a spacious and free mindset.
Laurie Carroll
I am so thankful my friend gave me this book. I enjoyed learning more about my yoga practice in such practical terms. It's one of those books I reread any time I find I'm getting too far from my center. Life often convolutes our basic beliefs, and this little book, plus my yoga practice, helps me to come back to my center fully awake and fully focused. I payed the joy forward by giving a copy to my step daughter, who is also a yoga enthusiast.
Carrie
--Required reading for YogaFit Level 2 Training.
This was a very readable book, one that I will read over and over again. It really should be read slowly, and pondered. I find that the yamas and niyamas remind me of the Christian 10 commandments as well as other teachings of Christ. What appeals to me most are the philosophies of nonviolence, non-excess, and non-possessiveness. There is much to contemplate.

Serena
This book is accessible to all with its simple and clear prose and modern (ish) anecdotes. I really liked how Adele related this ancient moral code to modern life.
caroline
the ah-ha moments in life. when I finished I wanted to re-read with a pen in hand!
Kathi Crawford
Deborah does a great job providing real life context to the ethical practices of yoga. I found it much easier to understand the intent of each practice and how to apply it in my own life. She provides a list of questions at the end of each chapter (for each philosophy) that lend themselves to further individual inquiry and/or for exploration in a study group format.
Yakking Yogini
This book lists the attributes of correct living with delightful stories to illustrate each one. This book serves as a daily devotional to read alongside your Bible, to learn how to live correctly with yourself and the world. We can take the wisdom of other faiths to extend understanding of our own faith.
Jill Jacobs novak
LOVED this book and its easy way of relating our everyday choices to the ancient wisdom of the these yogic traditions. A must read for all my yogi friends, and if you changed the title to 'everyday wisdom' a must read for everyone (you just have to skim over the sanskrit and yoga talk).
Inthegazeoftheother
A refreshingly simplified explication and reinforcement of the underpinnings of yogic principles replete with anecdotal analogies and loads of inspiration, this book reads easily and enjoyably.
RH Walters
Adele writes about the yogic principles in a very personal approachable way. I think this book is especially good for people unfamiliar with the eight-fold path and parts of it were deeply meaningful to me.
Celeste Simmons
Feb 06, 2011 Celeste Simmons is currently reading it
Beautifully written book on the 10 guidelines of the ethical practice of yoga. The author tells a lot of personal stories and draws upon films and books. Easy to read and quite beautiful.
Aaron
Nice exploration of the yamas and niyamas, but the writer spends a lot of time making references to other philosophers and speakers which makes for a choppy read.
Clarissa
This book teaches everyday practices on how to live life morally and healthfully. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to live as a good person
Maggie
Great book, lots of opportunity for reflection. I thought it was helpful for learning to be more honest, more genuine, more kind, etc. with myself.
Liz DeMarco
I will be coming back to this book again and again, words to continually ponder and strive to live by.
Heather
I am reading this a little everyday with meditation. So easy to read and such a powerful message.
Candace
I love the stories that the author incorporates. It's a great resource for journaling as well
Raksha
A good book for anyone interested in delving into the ethical aspects of Yoga.
Zazie
overall good explanation and how yamas and niyamas relate to modern life.
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Ancient Origins of Yoga
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Journey Into Power: How to Sculpt Your Ideal Body, Free Your True Self,  and Transform Your Life With Yoga
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali
  • The Four Desires: Creating a Life of Purpose, Happiness, Prosperity, and Freedom
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • Polishing the Mirror: How to Live from Your Spiritual Heart
  • The Living Gita: The Complete Bhagavad Gita - A Commentary for Modern Readers
Tears of Bliss : A Guru-Disciple Mystery

“Seeking out people and experiences we would normally avoid provides a fertile place to learn new things about ourselves and about life.” 1 likes
“I have found three ways of thinking that shift me out of a feeling of powerlessness: practicing gratitude, trust in the moment, and thinking about others.” 0 likes