Start by marking “The Walking Man” as Want to Read:
The Walking Man

The Walking Man

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Whoever takes the time these days to climb a tree in bare feet? To stop and observe the comings and goings of the birds? To play in the puddles after the rain has gone? To return a shell to the sea? [i]The Walking Man[/i] follows a modern day Japanese business man as he strolls at random through urban Japan - often silent, usually alone - with his vivid dreams that let tim ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Ponent Mon (first published April 10th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Man

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
434th out of 1,883 books — 4,321 voters
GOTH by OtsuichiThe Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto ShinkaiWanted by Matsuri HinoYume Kira Dream Shoppe by Aqua MizutoThe One I Love by CLAMP
Manga Oneshots
137th out of 222 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Seth Hahne
Recently having read Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I was reminded, in some ways, of a much better book. If one that is entirely different. The younger of the two narrative forces in Barbery's book, the genius twelve-year-old Paloma, expresses a fondness for the works of Jiro Taniguchi (specifically his Summit of the Gods). I've been a fan of Taniguchi myself for some time, though it's difficult to find his stuff on American shores.

Unlike Barbery's Hedgehog, the only way one coul
Sophie
Something that I really have to remember is not to wait so long when a book is calling out to me. I've been wanting to read this for years, I think, and today I finally got the chance to do so. A collection of small moments, it's a very beautiful and quiet book, and one that managed to pull me in completely. There aren't that many words, really, but they're not necessary anyway.

The kind of book that makes you smile and helps you remember to pay attention to the small things - you can find joy a
Nate D
The extraordinary that lurks within the ordinary, but stripped of any glistening of unreality or dread. A man walks, and observes, and it's magic. I feel like this is a good explanation of some of my day-long walks. There's a significant and perfect philosophy here. I would say that I only wished that they needn't be so solitary, but of course the last story here, and some of my best walks, do include a second, key walker...
Travis Mueller
Generally enjoyable and it made me a bit nostalgic for Japan and my own wanderings there. However, I found myself weirdly disliking the main character, even though he hardly says anything. Part of the problem is that he just looks annoyingly smug. Another part is that we only ever see his simple wonder of exploring new places and laughingly accepting minor misfortunes like unexpected rain or broken glasses, we never see the contrasting grind of daily life. I suppose given the homogeneity of Japa ...more
Sara
Aug 08, 2014 Sara added it
Shelves: manga-gn, set-in-asia
This is a first but I just can't give this book a rating. One star is too little cause it was good, five stars are too much because I didn't like it that much and all of the in between just don't cut it.
Fredrik Strömberg
A beautiful, quiet story about a Japanese man taking walks in his close surroundings. The images are exquisite in their low-key way of transmitting the feel of his impressions. As a reader, you get sucked into the story and hear the sounds, feel the weather on your skin and start to sense what the nameless man is thinking.

The soft way in which the man experiences his world also made an impression on me, reminding me to enjoy the small moments in life more.

In short: a graphic novel that I have no
Cristian
this one lied my bookshelves untouched for 7-8 years. don't know why today was the day i gave it a read. it's quite possible that a different daytime or mood would have proven to be more adequate.
it is a quick read and a very simple story, well, more a compilation of moments. moments experienced by a man who's strolling through what seems to be a small city or the outskirts of a city. the graphical aspect is quite nice, so are some of the vignettes. unfortunately, the "everything is so simple an
Yileen
I was graciously offered an electronic copy of this book by a friend. I was given the impression that I would be led to appreciate the finer, simpler things in life, and rightly so. What I did not expect was the extent of physical sensations that Taniguchi's drawings were capable of evoking.

It was as if Taniguchi drew all he wished he was experiencing at a single point in time rather than to be sitting in a small claustrophobic studio, drawing out this book. His drawings emphasises on the detail
Frank
A quick read. Beautiful art and very serene.

Walking as a form of meditation and quiet reflection - this book captures that feeling. What I particularly liked was the Japanese "feeling " of the boom - which, being from Japan makes sense. Specifically, Japan has always fascinated me as a place where there is a long history of population density, but also a place of nature and quiet places. Not Tokyo - but the smaller towns and villages.

This is a book for those that like to walk and appreciate the
Michael Scott
(Pursuing my goal of reading a bit of every type of manga.) The Walking Man (Aruku Hito) is a manga about a Japanese salary man's life, one step and mild action at a time. (Type: slice-of-life, salary man.) Overall, decent graphics and an interesting topic, but lacking punch and clarity.

Artwork: Simple, with clear line (perhaps even in the spirit of Herge's and Joost Swarte's claire ligne, albeit not as perfect and exquisitely simple). There are some obvious perspective mistakes, which compromis
Nadine Lebrun
Si j'ai souvent posé un oeil dubitatif sur le phénomène "manga", je ne fourre cependant pas tous les comics nippons dans le même sac. Comme dans tout, il y a à boire et à manger. Il y a une quinzaine d'années, je ne jurais que par la BD franco-belge. Je pensais que rien ne pouvait arriver à la cheville d'un Hergé ou d'un Franquin, que notre patrie pouvait se targuer d'avoir fécondé sur son territoire grand comme un mouchoir de poche, un nombre incroyable de créateurs de bandes dessinées de talen ...more
alana
What a lovely book! Taniguchi's drawings of small urban moments are particularly well rendered. I love the way he captures the charm of suburban Japanese neighborhoods that still seem cramped even when they are comparatively spacious to city centers. And he does this in such small frames! Wow. I feel like I have been to every place he draws in the book, and yet he proposes a voyeuristic following of the walking man's perception of his daily surroundings. I've yet to read a Japanese graphic novel ...more
Nakkinak
A manga that takes you by the hand and invites you to the suburbs of Japan. A late 20- or 30-odd years old man takes his time walking through the city, investigating its characters and scenery.

I admit it was kind of difficult to get into this comic. Throughout the first half I was like "what the hell is this about he does nothing" but when my own heartbeat acclimated towards the pacing of the manga, I found it's appeal. It's a story that teaches the beautiful things in life via little vignettes.
Allycks
I don't read comics or manga, but I saw The Walking Man in a bookshop window in Bologna a couple years ago and the title stuck with me. I finally bought it last month. Call me ignorant but I was initially surprised to find the interior of the book is black-and-white but that disappointment quickly faded. There are ten or twelve episodes in The Walking Man, nothing much happens, hardly any dialogue, just some slow well-considered wanderings around suburban Japan. The drawings are excellent, very ...more
Đại tá Cá Vàng
Lately I have received it as a gift and thus I have time to re-appreciate this beauty and Mr. Taniguchi's simple yet powerful drawings. Potent Moon/Fanfare has done the book justice and brought to us one of the most extraordinary pieces about our daily lives.
Conico
Nothing much happens in this book, nonetheless, it is pure joy. The main character simply walks around, explores his environment, and celebrates being. Sometimes he walks alone, or with his dog, or with his wife. Sometimes he travels a traditional path, or zigzags through an unfamiliar neighborhood. He might take his shoes off and feel the dirt beneath his feet or lie down in the grass for a sojourn. The art is stunning; clean, simple lines that are rich in detail yet free of clutter. Although t ...more
Jeff
Jirô Taniguchi's The Walking Man is a quiet surprise, a refreshingly original work that that takes considerable advantage of the unique qualities of the comics medium. The plot and dialogue are at a minimum throughout these short pieces, and that's the whole point - Taniguchi's unnamed protagonist is a spontaneous urban explorer who follows his curiosity and his whims without much hesitation, and the pleasure for the reader is joining in those small moments of awareness and observation that are ...more
Julia
When did you last stop and smell the flowers? Or listen to the birds chirping? Or notice the houses in your neighborhood? Jiro Taniguchi explores this simple approach to appreciating life in "Walking Man" as a man explores life around him. Each chapter shows him on one of his walks and how he interacts with people. It's a very sparse writing style, going pages without dialogue. Taniguchi has a very clean style, but very nice detailed backgrounds to fill in a distinct sense of neighborhood. Fanfa ...more
Randi
Jeg elsker denne bog.
Den er helt rolig, uden store armbevægelser, og alligevel forstår historierne klar og tydelig.
Tazitazitazi
Prekrasna, topla knjiga; koja čitatelja podsjeća da obrati pažnju na one jednostavne, svakodnevne i sveprisutne stvari i pojave koje uzima zdravo za gotovo. K tome se lako i brzo čita. Jedna od onih koje treba imati u kućnoj kolekciji.
Podsjetila me na moj posjet Kini. Tamo sam prvi puta doživjela da zbog zagađenja danima ne vidim nebo. Kad sam se vratila doma, tri sam mjeseca sa čuđenjem i oduševljenjem svaki dan gledala u nebesko plavetnilo, oblake i sunce. Trebala mi je ova knjigu da me podsje
Søren Søndberg
I read this book in about 30 minutes, and it was nice enough while it lasted. I'll probably never become a fan of the graphic novel genre, it's just too easy to plow through a lot of drawings with a few text boxes here and there.
This book is a simple, almost zen-like story about a man who likes to take walks in surburban Japan, looking at birds, running in the rain, that kind of stuff.
Very nice drawings with a strong attention to detail. But what's the point, really?
Bob Dobbs
Man this is some boring crap. It's just about some fat salaryman wandering around his boring suburb. Isn't the magic of art how it takes us places we haven't been, places we could never go to? Make us feel as though we've met people we couldn't have? Where's the magic here? There is none to be found. Not unless you're an alien from Mars, then this could be more fascinating than a dozen NASA rover live video feeds combined.
Anne
I don't usually read comics, but when I saw this one and another of Taniguchi's books at my favourite bookstore, Thiemers Magasin in Copenhagen, I put them on my Christmas wishlist. I got them both and read this one last night and today. Sweet, short stories with almost no words about a man who goes walking in his city and takes time to experience what is going on around him. A lovely timeout.
Scott Robins
Read for my Graphic Novels in Libraries class - this series of short almost meditative vignettes features the main character and his encounters with people, nature and various features of the city. It's a collision of the mundane, the everyday with the beauty of simplicity - a bird, a found shell, etc. The artwork is stunning here with tons of truly awesome panoramic panels.
Muriel
Taniguchi is (bijna) altijd geweldig, maar dit boek, een serie kortverhalen in stripvorm over 'de wandelaar', is net iets minder sterk. De plot is vaak nogal magertjes, en hoewel Taniguchi bekend staat als een poëtische striptekenaar, weegt dat ik dit geval niet op. Onderhoudend, maar ook niet meer dan dat.
VAle
Il tanto osannato Jirō Taniguchi non mi convince del tutto in questa serie di racconti brevi disegnati. Di certo il suo disegno chiaro e le sue storie semplici e quotidiane risultano gradevoli, ma è un genere che fatico sempre ad apprezzare fino in fondo. Di certo proverò qualche altra sua opera.
Caro
Llegué a este manga, a este autor, gracias a la novela "La elegancia del erizo" de Muriel Barbery.

Contemplativo y prácticamente sin texto, es un manga lleno de maneras de encontrar placeres pequeños a través de las actividades cotidianas. El título ya es bastante explicativo.
Maja
a beautiful and exquisitely drawn story about one man's daily walks. There were few words, because the pictures spoke for themselves!!
  • NonNonBa
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 1
  • What a Wonderful World!, Volume 1
  • Sunny, Vol. 1
  • Dororo, Vol. 1
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2)
  • Domu: A Child's Dream
  • Disappearance Diary
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Arrugas
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
Name (in native language): 谷口ジロー
Zodiac: Leo

He began to work as assistant of the late mangaka Kyota Ishikawa.
He made his manga debut in 1970 with Kareta Heya (A Desiccated Summer), published in the magazine Young Comic.
From 1976 to 1979, he created several hard-boiled comics with the scenarist Natsuo Sekigawa, such as City Without Defense, The Wind of the West is White and Lindo 3.
From 1984 to 199
More about Jirō Taniguchi...
A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 1 Quartier lointain A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 2 El almanaque de mi padre Un zoo en hiver