Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading

Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Inferring, questioning, determining importance. It's not easy to explain these abstract reading strategies to elementary readers, yet knowing how they work and how to use them is an important first step to connecting with texts. Fortunately Tanny McGregor has developed visual, tangible, everyday lessons that make abstract thinking concrete and that can help every child in...more
Published February 7th 2007 by Heinemann Educational Books

Comprehension Connections by Tanny McGregorMosaic of Thought by Ellin Oliver KeeneThe Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller6 + 1 Traits of Writing by Ruth CulhamWhat Great Teachers Do Differently by Todd Whitaker
Books Elementary Teachers need to read...
1st out of 27 books — 11 voters
Reading in the Wild by Donalyn MillerThe Daily Five by Gail BousheyComprehension Connections by Tanny McGregorStrategies That Work by Stephanie HarveyI Read It, but I Don't Get It by Cris Tovani
Literacy Go-Tos
3rd out of 47 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Tenille Shade
This is probably my all time favorite teacher book ever! Tanny does an outstanding job of creating metaphorical thinking. I love her launching sequence, and I will use these lessons for years to come. The "Thinking Stems" posters are a staple in my classroom, and I can't wait for her next book on genres to be published!
I highly recommend this book to all of my reading-teacher friends! It is a quick read (I read it in 2 hours at the pool yesterday) and is a great, FRESH companion to all the comprehension classics - Debbie Miller, Chris Tovani, Ellin Keene, Steph Harvey, etc. If you loved Strategies that Work or Reading with Meaning, I guarantee you will LOVE how McGregor uses concrete items to teach comprehension strategies. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is I thought the book could have been mo...more
Emily Monroe
My favorite reading strategy book! Easy to read and implement plus it actually works with kids of any age! Is a prefect companion to teachers moving into Common Core's deeper reading.
Annie Palmer
Jun 10, 2010 Annie Palmer rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teachers, tutors
This is a great book for classroom and reading teachers. I've always said that the most learning occurs when students are having fun. This book provides concrete and creative ways to teaching six thinking skills: schema, inferring, questioning, determining importance, visualizing and synthesizing. Not only will it be fun for kids, but fun for teachers to teach! It is especially great for districts implementing the Literacy by Design reading series. The six thinking skills in this book are the ex...more
Megan
This is a great quick read about how to tangibly teach reading strategies. It focuses a lot on metacognition (and teaching kids how to understand their thinking) and schema (background knowledge). While some of the strategies for teaching such things are a bit elementary for 5th and 6th graders, the ideas can easily be modified to the next level for middle grade learners. I'm excited to talk about this one with some colleagues!
Lou Broughton

Wow! This may be the single best book on how to launch reading strategies that I've ever read. Relating the strategies to something concrete makes so much sense. This book made me realize the importance of slowing down my teaching and taking the time to launch each strategy without the burden of text. I hope Tanny McGregor writes more books because I would definitely read another one. Wow!
Guida Allès
S´han publicat molts llibres sobre estratègies de comprensió. Com millorar i avaluar la comprensió dels alumnes quan és un procés tan invisible?. De tots els que he llegit, aquest és el que més m´ha agradat per ensenyar a pensar estratègicament als alumnes de primària emprant tots els canals comunicatius (Visual, Auditiu, Cinestèsic, de manera creativa, visual i artística).
Amy
Awesome book of mini-lessons for key comprehension skills--metacognition, visualizing, schema/connections, making inferences, etc. Loved teaching some of the lessons in here to my kids! Each lesson links to concrete experiences and items--great way to break it down for the kids.
Good book with great ideas on how to teach reading comprehension skills. I liked the examples of text to use with concepts (i.e. inferencing) as well as examples of art, music, and realia that really help bring abstracts concepts to life. I'd recommend it!
Stacy
This is by far one of my favorite teaching resources. This concrete method of teaching abstract comprehension skills is fabulous. My students love the lesson and are always engaged. Every teacher in grades 3-6 should have this book.
Beth Bell
Quick easy read filled with easy to implement ideas to deepen students' comprehension. Lessons used so far this year have been clear and effective. Adds art, music, and concrete visuals as well as anchor charts. Love it!
Shamzgirl
I can't wait to try some of these ideas with my English Language Learners. The author offers some awesome suggestions for making the important abstract work of reading comprehension more concrete for students.
Kerrie
Loved this book and its wonderful ideas. Wish I could keep it since I borrowed it and now have to give it back. Definitely a great read for comprehension strategies for students who need more concrete thinking.
Jessica
This book made me want to run back to the classroom and try these great ideas out! A down-to-earth, creative, and research-based book that can be immediately implemented into elementary classrooms.
Arthur Ross jr.
Wow! What an eye-opening book! Chockfull of great ideas to teach reading in a concrete way to young readers. I'm eagerly anticipating using the large majority of the lessons in my literacy block.
Jane
I really thought this book had some good ideas and a lot of food for thought. My principal has chosen this book to implement in the classroom this year at the school where I teach.
Kim
Jun 16, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teachers
Looking for a why to bring a concrete understanding to the reading comprehension strategies? This is it. An easy read for the teacher and a way to spark a true understanding for children.
Janet Taylor
I absolutely love this book and the many concrete launching lessons within its pages. It has changed my teaching and helped my students and me understand comprehension in a fresh way.
Shannon Cole
Fabulous lessons for teachers to make higher level thinking very tangible for students! The students on our campus loved the lessons and were able to apply the skills!
Melissa Hensley
A quick read! Great ideas that an be easily applied to any grade level. Love how Tanny brought in all types of media and text to teach with each comprehension skill.
Beth Robertson
Easy read with practical ideas to incorporate into the workshop model. I teach sixth grade and can modify the lessons to fit my older kids.
Molly Raddemann
I use this book constantly for teaching concrete reading lessons that students remember and refer to throughout the entire school year.
Rebecca Durichek
I love the concrete examples the book uses to teach the reading strategies. I use this book daily in my classroom. Excellent resource!
Claudia
This book taught me how to teach my students to connect their reading to their thinking by using different metacognitive strategies.
Kate
An AWESOME book filled with easy, practical, concrete ideas to teach reading strategies. I recommend this book for every teacher.
Ashley Eivins
I used this book for several of my daily comprehension lessons. The lessons required students to think deeply and they loved it!
Rachel Turner
An easy and quick read. Not many new or novel ideas, but several good reminders and great examples.
Marsha Jones
Excellent book to bring metacognitive strategies to life through concrete visual representations.
Terri Floccare
Excellent ideas for teaching reading to kids. Can't wait to give them a try!
Elisa Rankin
Great book with suggestions for making reading strategies visible for students!
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • Craft Lessons
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • Literacy Work Stations
  • Deeper Reading
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
Genre Connections: Lessons to Launch Literary and Nonfiction Texts Comprehension Connections Genre Connections Book Study Bundle Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next