Start by marking “The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  102,779 ratings  ·  4,914 reviews
The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler – the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years – has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead too, and now the awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protégé, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerf ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Ascension, please sign up.

Erin Smith I will and at the end of all things I shall say Always
The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
36th out of 1,540 books — 5,495 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
39th out of 1,548 books — 5,679 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
I can't handle how amazing this series is. Brandon Sanderson continues to overwhelm me with his impressive storytelling skills. Just like in The Final Empire, the world and the characters and the story were all beyond fantastic. There must be some kind of sorcery involved in how this man weaves together plot threads, because really.

I can't say much more without spoilers, but if you have not yet read this series, READ IT. SERIOUSLY. READ IT.
Christine Riccio
I FINISHED THIS AGES AGO AND IT WAS AWESOME : here's my booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMeGD...
Grant
Mar 03, 2013 Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fantasy
I'm continually impressed with Brandon Sanderson, and I appreciate the subtle (at least to me) morality in his books. As most people who read his books will know, Sanderson comes from a Mormon background, and I think this only enhances his ability and perspective as a writer.

I read his first widely published novel Elantris a few years back. The pace, magic, character development, etc., was all good, esp. for a first novel. I eventually picked up Mistborn a few months after its release and this
Mike (the Paladin)
I feel here as if I ought to apologize to my friends who love these books. The first was okay but I found the pacing a bit slow and had a "my interest comes and goes" experience. Sadly if I compare the pacing of the first volume of the series to the pacing in this one (the second volume) the story in volume 1 moved like the wind.

I know that some are very involved here and love these, and I can see why. The characters have depth and you get an "in depth" view of their lives. Not only their lives
Regan
Sorry in advance about the bad language but....

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Okay, everyone just read this series, okay? okay.
Maureen
4.5/5 stars.
Oh man. OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN THIS BOOK.
I definitely did not see foreshadowing happen this time because I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING.
Still love Elend. Still love Vin. Still love Sazed.
This series is going to KILL ME I can feel it.
Markus
"Chaos and stability, the mist was both. Upon the land there was an empire, within that empire were a dozen shattered kingdoms, within those kingdoms were cities, towns, villages, plantations. And above them all, within them all, around them all, was the mist. It was more constant than the sun, for it could not be hidden by clouds. It was more powerful than the storms, for it would outlast any weather’s fury. It was always there. Changing, but eternal."

The Well of Ascension takes place one year
Becky
Oh my gosh, this book should have been called "The Well of Absolute Tension". Tense is the perfect word to describe this book. Luthadel is surrounded on all sides by enemies, they have a weak but idealistic king, no food, a small army and winter is coming. There are spies everywhere it seems, and murders keep occurring with no explanation... *gnaws fingers* Tense, I say!

I loved the political and espionagical (I know that's not a real word... I just made it up.) feel of this book. I loved learni
Felicia
This book was...not very good. I absolutely loved the first book, it was sooo good! I still love the magical device he uses, but honestly this book did not live up to the first. The main character becomes pretty stupid, and the love interest was never that interesting. I will read the third book, but my hopes are not high.
Anila
This is That Book.

You know the one.

The one you've daydreamed about.

The one you hope, deep in your little reader heart, you'll finally find.

The one with the plot that is both wide-ranging and intensely personal; with the characters who are all nuanced and flawed; with the complicated political intrigues to keep you guessing; with the shocking twists that are, true to form, both surprising and inevitable.

You've slogged through the morass of uninspiring Twilight clones. You've suffered through dyst
Dylan Williams
OH. MY. GOD. Brandon Sanderson is selling me a drug that I can't get enough of!

I think it did drag out a big towards the middle of the book, so plot wise it wasn't quite as strong as the first one. But even considering that this book still solidly deserves a 5-star rating. This series is blowing my mind and I am loving every moment of it.
Merna
This book goes something likes this:

Elend and the group: Hey, we need to find a way to defeat these two armies, led by tyrants, who've come to conquer the city.

Elend and the group:Yes, we should! But first, let us talk about it for 500 pages.

Anyway, I've read many reviews that mention this book is slow paced, but to even describe this book merely 'slow-paced' is a big understatement. I think glacial pace describes it much better. You keep thinking it's going to pick up, after all, it's 700 pages
Pinky
THAT ENDING!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The books keep getting better and better, I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!! Luckily, I have the third book so I can start reading ASAP! If you didn't read the first book and you are confused on whether you should read it or not, READ IT! I promise, it is worth it and it is amazing! If you don't know what the series is about or whether you should start reading it, check out my review to the first book, Mistborn: The Final Empire.

I was
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Vin frowned, then glanced at Elend. He seemed...distracted. "I don't like her," she said.
Elend smiled, stacking up the books on his table. "You don't like anyone when you first meet them, Vin."
"I liked you."
"Thereby demonstrating that you are a terrible judge of character."

Weeeellll peeps, it's official. I am in love with Brandon Sanderson. It isn't simply because he has some of the most unforgiving battle scenes ever, and it isn't because his books make me laugh more than they probably should
Mario
I am seriously at a loss for words right now.
This book. THIS FRIGGIN BOOK.

Before reading it, I had my doubts that I wasn't going to like it as much as the first one, 'cause I've heard that it was slow paced at some parts. But after I finished it, I can officially say that I liked it even better than the first one. Yeah, it was slow paced at times, but just because it needed to be. Slow paced doesn't necessarily mean boring. For me there wasn't even a page in this book that was boring to read.

An
Inge
3.5 stars – spoilers for The Final Empire
"How insane are you feeling at the moment?"

The Well of Ascension didn’t quite live up to my expectations, but it was still a pretty good read. After the death of the Lord Ruler, the world is in chaos. Young Elend Venture has taken control, but he’s young and inexperienced and has a bit of an idealistic way of ruling, which will easily be taken advantage of. Several armies wish to seize power for themselves, resulting in a very tense stalemate, and Lutha
Maxwell
Fan-freaking-tastic. It doesn't suffer from 'middle book syndrome.' In fact, I almost enjoyed it more than the first book. It did drag a tiny bit in the middle, which is why I'm giving it a 4.5/5. Nevertheless, excellent continuation and set-up for the next book, which I need to read now!
[Name Redacted]
I am having a very hard time beginning this book, largely because I hate Vin as a character and I could not care less about Elend, yet those two are apparently the focus of this entry in the series. Felicia Day's review of this book leads me to believe that things do not improve. *sigh*

UPDATE: Sazed has his own chapters! This is a very good thing as he was my favorite character in the first novel, and the only one to whom I could fully relate (three guesses as to why). I hope it doesn't turn out
Sophia
i want to die. this book makes me want to die.

nothing can prepare you for this installment. i thought after reading mistborn: the final empire, i would at least have a brief glimpse of brandon sanderson's abilities. now i just feel foolish. so much happened, and i expected none of it. god, that ending...

(obviously, this book is insane. insanely awesome, but also insane. read it.)
Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑
Buddy read with Chelsea, Maria & Elena

Sorry guys. I'm DNFing this. While I can't deny that Sanderson is a great author, and that I adored his Legion series, I just can't cope with it. This book is depressing me.

Why?

Too much telling rather than showing : See, I'm struggling to FOLLOW the fights because that's so wordy. Moreover, I can't help but get the impression that I'm told what characters feel and/or think about other characters and I wasn't feeling this in book 1. Take Elend for ex
Samantha
I have to admit I was a bit torn on what to rate this. I think ultimately, for me, it's more of a 3.5 star book. Primarily because I felt a good chunk was unnecessarily drug out. There where parts where I just didn't feel like continuing and I kept getting pulled out of the story.

However, despite that, the book was still very well written. The characters continue to be excellently developed and the ending was perfection. I cannot wait to see how this will be resolved!
Sara
This book really frustrated me. The wonderful momentum present in the first book ground to a halt. Rebuilding a government is obviously less exciting than tearing it down, but that wasn't the main issue for me.

Sanderson spent so much time rehashing the first book, that I never felt like we were in the present story. There was way too much reflecting, and not enough acting; especially since most of the reflection felt expository. It's a trilogy-- we know there was another book. You only need a f
Benjamin Duffy
A solid step forward from the cool-but-flawed first book in the Mistborn series. A few observations, in bullet point form, since I'm too lazy to write coherent paragraphs today:

- There's no slow start here, as the book begins kicking ass immediately. Sanderson pays you, the reader, the compliment of assuming you've read the first book, and there's little time spent in review. As a result, this book grabs you quickly and doesn't let go.

- Sanderson definitely opens his vocabulary up a bit more in
Jaime
It's strange to go into the second book of a trilogy and find that you have absolutely no frigging clue what is ahead. For all intents and purposes the primary objective of the series has been completed, hasn't it? There were definite winners in that story, so what now?

The Well of Ascension takes place a year after the Lord Ruler was defeated and Elend Venture is King of The Final Empire. But, his rule is failing, and his people are suffering.

There are new bad guys afoot. Elend's own father, St
Karla

5 Riveting Stars!! Lord Ruler…was that good!! Mesmerizing, edge of your seat, hand-wringing good!! No, not just good…ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this book. Just when you think you have it all figured out…you don’t. So many twists and turns, I was getting dizzy! I can’t even imagine what’s going to come next. I need The Hero of Ages now!!

Michael Kramer rocked the narration!
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy Read with Athena

“A man can only stumble for so long before he either falls or stands up straight.”

This is what I think the central theme to the entire book is. All of the characters are stumbling through their new positions and lives in a new world without the Lord Ruler. After being repressed for so long each member of Kelsier’s remaining crew and Elend the new King are trying to build a better country. That in itself is hard enough but a new challenge arises when Lord Straff besieges t
Carol.

Let me be honest. This feels like Shannara 2.0

I am aware that I am committing sacrilege in the fantasy world. The Shannara series has long been scoffed at by modern fantasy fans as “Tolkien-Lite.” I would agree; when I recently attempted to reread The Sword of Shannara, I found it disturbingly simplistic. However, in the early 1980s, there wasn’t much available in the local library’s fantasy/sci-fi section. I discovered the Shannara series as I worked my way through the small collection, and it
Mr. Matt
The Well of Ascension was a good book. It was also somewhat of a let down after Mistborn. Many times it feels like the second book of a series is not quite as good. That makes a certain amount of sense. Book one is about setting things up, building the world and starting the action. Book three brings everything to closure in a climax. Book two, by contrast, is simply a transition. You have to get through it to get to the good stuff at the end. I'm not sure that this is the case with The Well of ...more
Danae
I feel bad giving this book only 4 stars. It's amazing and I loved every minute of it, however, it was much more of a slower pace than the first one. Where as The Final Empire was taking action to change things, The Well of Ascension was talking about how to take action. Even given the slow pace, I still loved this book. It had almost everything I loved about the first: the characters, witty banter, action scenes, and the uniquely wonderful magic system that I'm obsessed with.

This was a great ad
Paige  Bookdragon
“Elend: I kind of lost track of time…
Breeze: For two hours?
Elend: There were books involved.”

Me, after the ending:
description

(I take it back Mario and Gavin. I don't hate you. Well not much...)
description

Review

Seriously Brandon Sanderson, stop being so awesome. I've already set myself as a die hard fan to your fandom when I read you first book. Now that I'm done with this one, I would even gladly be a skaa if you're The Lord Ruler.

I have apprehensions when I read this one. The first book was definitely mind blowi
Year of Cosmere : Ghosts in the Mist - Chapters 12-27 18 88 May 26, 2015 12:14PM
Year of Cosmere : Epilogue - END OF BOOK DISCUSSION 30 153 Apr 15, 2015 04:41AM
Year of Cosmere : King - Chapters 28-38 23 83 Apr 14, 2015 10:48AM
Year of Cosmere : Knives - Chapters 39-48 12 75 Apr 13, 2015 04:21PM
Year of Cosmere : Snow and Ash - Chapters 49-55 8 51 Mar 30, 2015 01:51PM
Year of Cosmere : Words in Steel - Chapters 56-59 5 53 Mar 23, 2015 01:16PM
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Crippled God (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time...The losses are what define a man's faith.” 509 likes
“Elend: I kind of lost track of time…
Breeze: For two hours?
Elend: There were books involved.”
419 likes