Start by marking “The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  111,438 ratings  ·  5,375 reviews
The impossible has been accomplished. The Lord Ruler – the man who claimed to be god incarnate and brutally ruled the world for a thousand years – has been vanquished. But Kelsier, the hero who masterminded that triumph, is dead too, and now the awesome task of building a new world has been left to his young protégé, Vin, the former street urchin who is now the most powerf ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Ascension, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Ascension

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
36th out of 1,584 books — 5,732 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
37th out of 1,679 books — 5,916 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
I can't handle how amazing this series is. Brandon Sanderson continues to overwhelm me with his impressive storytelling skills. Just like in The Final Empire, the world and the characters and the story were all beyond fantastic. There must be some kind of sorcery involved in how this man weaves together plot threads, because really.

I can't say much more without spoilers, but if you have not yet read this series, READ IT. SERIOUSLY. READ IT.
Christine Riccio
Sorry in advance about the bad language but....

Okay, everyone just read this series, okay? okay.
Mike (the Paladin)
I feel here as if I ought to apologize to my friends who love these books. The first was okay but I found the pacing a bit slow and had a "my interest comes and goes" experience. Sadly if I compare the pacing of the first volume of the series to the pacing in this one (the second volume) the story in volume 1 moved like the wind.

I know that some are very involved here and love these, and I can see why. The characters have depth and you get an "in depth" view of their lives. Not only their lives
Mar 03, 2013 Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fantasy
I'm continually impressed with Brandon Sanderson, and I appreciate the subtle (at least to me) morality in his books. As most people who read his books will know, Sanderson comes from a Mormon background, and I think this only enhances his ability and perspective as a writer.

I read his first widely published novel Elantris a few years back. The pace, magic, character development, etc., was all good, esp. for a first novel. I eventually picked up Mistborn a few months after its release and this
4.5/5 stars.
I definitely did not see foreshadowing happen this time because I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING.
Still love Elend. Still love Vin. Still love Sazed.
This series is going to KILL ME I can feel it.
This book was...not very good. I absolutely loved the first book, it was sooo good! I still love the magical device he uses, but honestly this book did not live up to the first. The main character becomes pretty stupid, and the love interest was never that interesting. I will read the third book, but my hopes are not high.
This is That Book.

You know the one.

The one you've daydreamed about.

The one you hope, deep in your little reader heart, you'll finally find.

The one with the plot that is both wide-ranging and intensely personal; with the characters who are all nuanced and flawed; with the complicated political intrigues to keep you guessing; with the shocking twists that are, true to form, both surprising and inevitable.

You've slogged through the morass of uninspiring Twilight clones. You've suffered through dyst
"Chaos and stability, the mist was both. Upon the land there was an empire, within that empire were a dozen shattered kingdoms, within those kingdoms were cities, towns, villages, plantations. And above them all, within them all, around them all, was the mist. It was more constant than the sun, for it could not be hidden by clouds. It was more powerful than the storms, for it would outlast any weather’s fury. It was always there. Changing, but eternal."

The Well of Ascension takes place one year
Robin (Bridge Four)
Shadows of Self should be released October 6th. So what better excuse do I need to reread every book in the Mistborn world? NONE!!!

One of the things that I love about a Sanderson book, and there are many, is that they stand up upon re-read. On this read I knew the twists, I knew the characters and still I felt every high and low all over again. I saw the very subtle clues to the twist and foreshadowing and was as impressed with the writing the second time through as the first. That is a great fe
Oh my gosh, this book should have been called "The Well of Absolute Tension". Tense is the perfect word to describe this book. Luthadel is surrounded on all sides by enemies, they have a weak but idealistic king, no food, a small army and winter is coming. There are spies everywhere it seems, and murders keep occurring with no explanation... *gnaws fingers* Tense, I say!

I loved the political and espionagical (I know that's not a real word... I just made it up.) feel of this book. I loved learni
Dylan Williams
OH. MY. GOD. Brandon Sanderson is selling me a drug that I can't get enough of!

I think it did drag out a big towards the middle of the book, so plot wise it wasn't quite as strong as the first one. But even considering that this book still solidly deserves a 5-star rating. This series is blowing my mind and I am loving every moment of it.
Bookworm Sean
I like a story that surprises me, and this series keeps doing it. The ending of the last book was, undoubtedly, epic. I don’t know how Brandon Sanderson does it. It felt like the closing chapter for these characters, but, in reality, it was only the beginning of the series. The Lord Ruler’s death could have been the ending, but he was only the surface issue. Indeed, with his death a whole host of problems arose, and none of them are as simple as they appear. This proved that the generic plot of ...more
This book goes something likes this:

Elend and the group: Hey, we need to find a way to defeat these two armies, led by tyrants, who've come to conquer the city.

Elend and the group:Yes, we should! But first, let us talk about it for 500 pages.

Anyway, I've read many reviews that mention this book is slow paced, but to even describe this book merely 'slow-paced' is a big understatement. I think glacial pace describes it much better. You keep thinking it's going to pick up, after all, it's 700 pages
THAT ENDING!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The books keep getting better and better, I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!! Luckily, I have the third book so I can start reading ASAP! If you didn't read the first book and you are confused on whether you should read it or not, READ IT! I promise, it is worth it and it is amazing! If you don't know what the series is about or whether you should start reading it, check out my review to the first book, Mistborn: The Final Empire.

I was
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Vin frowned, then glanced at Elend. He seemed...distracted. "I don't like her," she said.
Elend smiled, stacking up the books on his table. "You don't like anyone when you first meet them, Vin."
"I liked you."
"Thereby demonstrating that you are a terrible judge of character."

Weeeellll peeps, it's official. I am in love with Brandon Sanderson. It isn't simply because he has some of the most unforgiving battle scenes ever, and it isn't because his books make me laugh more than they probably should
I am seriously at a loss for words right now.

Before reading it, I had my doubts that I wasn't going to like it as much as the first one, 'cause I've heard that it was slow paced at some parts. But after I finished it, I can officially say that I liked it even better than the first one. Yeah, it was slow paced at times, but just because it needed to be. Slow paced doesn't necessarily mean boring. For me there wasn't even a page in this book that was boring to read.

3.5 stars – spoilers for The Final Empire
"How insane are you feeling at the moment?"

The Well of Ascension didn’t quite live up to my expectations, but it was still a pretty good read. After the death of the Lord Ruler, the world is in chaos. Young Elend Venture has taken control, but he’s young and inexperienced and has a bit of an idealistic way of ruling, which will easily be taken advantage of. Several armies wish to seize power for themselves, resulting in a very tense stalemate, and Lutha
Fan-freaking-tastic. It doesn't suffer from 'middle book syndrome.' In fact, I almost enjoyed it more than the first book. It did drag a tiny bit in the middle, which is why I'm giving it a 4.5/5. Nevertheless, excellent continuation and set-up for the next book, which I need to read now!
[Name Redacted]
I am having a very hard time beginning this book, largely because I hate Vin as a character and I could not care less about Elend, yet those two are apparently the focus of this entry in the series. Felicia Day's review of this book leads me to believe that things do not improve. *sigh*

UPDATE: Sazed has his own chapters! This is a very good thing as he was my favorite character in the first novel, and the only one to whom I could fully relate (three guesses as to why). I hope it doesn't turn out
This book really frustrated me. The wonderful momentum present in the first book ground to a halt. Rebuilding a government is obviously less exciting than tearing it down, but that wasn't the main issue for me.

Sanderson spent so much time rehashing the first book, that I never felt like we were in the present story. There was way too much reflecting, and not enough acting; especially since most of the reflection felt expository. It's a trilogy-- we know there was another book. You only need a f
i want to die. this book makes me want to die.

nothing can prepare you for this installment. i thought after reading mistborn: the final empire, i would at least have a brief glimpse of brandon sanderson's abilities. now i just feel foolish. so much happened, and i expected none of it. god, that ending...

(obviously, this book is insane. insanely awesome, but also insane. read it.)
 You can try and hide, you can even conquer my city.

But she will find you...

And she will kill you.

Okay, so in The Final Empire, the crew basically tore down a government/society. This eventually leads to A LOT of politicking taking place in The Well of Ascension, which I didn't really mind. Elend's trying his best to put things back in order, and it doesn't help any that an army marches up the his gates and demands him to surrender.

But then of course Sanderson just couldn't resist and went
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads

Anytime I'm reading fantasy for review, I take copious notes. In fact, most of the time, my review is pretty much written by the time I finish the book, I just need to make slight alterations to account for any last minute goings on.

And I like that, b/c your average fantasy is 2 - 3x longer than any other book. Trying to go back after the fact and recall all the key details would be a nightmare.

Brandon Sanderson has consistently thwarted me in this area. And by consistently, I mean
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘
Buddy read with Chelsea, Maria & Elena

Sorry guys. I'm DNFing this. While I can't deny that Sanderson is a great author, and that I adored his Legion series, I just can't cope with it. This book is depressing me.

Too much telling rather than showing : See, I'm struggling to FOLLOW the fights because that's so wordy. Moreover, I can't help but get the impression that I'm told what characters feel and/or think about other characters and I wasn't feeling this in book 1. Take Elend for ex
I have to admit I was a bit torn on what to rate this. I think ultimately, for me, it's more of a 3.5 star book. Primarily because I felt a good chunk was unnecessarily drug out. There where parts where I just didn't feel like continuing and I kept getting pulled out of the story.

However, despite that, the book was still very well written. The characters continue to be excellently developed and the ending was perfection. I cannot wait to see how this will be resolved!

Eon (Windrunner)
Reread done. Hopefully I will be able to at long last write a review for this series.

My review of the first book in the series: Mistborn

All spoilers are clearly indicated.

What a journey. It took me so long to finish this book that I kind of feel attached to it now. I almost want to start The Hero of Ages right away but aghhh it’s another brick so I may wait a little.

I absolutely adored this book. That being said, I feel like it wasn’t as good as Mistborn.

Elend :

Everything about Elend annoyed the living hell out of me throughout this novel. He’s too nice for his own good. I
Mnogo zanimljiviji dio od Poslednje carstvo. Ovdje sam dobio par WOW momenata koji su mi u prvoj knjizi falili .

Nakon prvih par podglavlja imao sam brigu da ću se mučiti kroz knjigu . Ali Sanderson je opet udario tamo gdje uvijek udari . Na kraju . Bravo .

Ali opet, nije samo kraj razlog što sam knjizi dao 5*. Nekako mi je cijela knjiga BAŠ "sjela" . Puno pričanja o politici , razvoj nekih likova (ali samo NEKIH ) , izučavanje prošlosti, ... Godilo mi je to čitati , da skoro 800 stranica ne budu
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Toll the Hounds (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1) The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)

“It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time...The losses are what define a man's faith.” 539 likes
“Elend: I kind of lost track of time…
Breeze: For two hours?
Elend: There were books involved.”