Start by marking “The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  172,815 Ratings  ·  11,472 Reviews
In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage —
Published July 25th 2006 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Final Empire, please sign up.

Matthew Irwin The magic system is too internal. On screen how are you to know if someone is burning the less obvious metals. Also the speed and jumps of the misting…moreThe magic system is too internal. On screen how are you to know if someone is burning the less obvious metals. Also the speed and jumps of the misting or mistborn characters - in my mind - would look as fake as they do in the twilight films and they dont seem to have solved this sped-up movement problem in recent films either.

But its not like a film or tv series is going to make the book worse...
Id be surprised if someone doesn't give it a go eventually. (less)
Nadine Jones There's nothing objectionable in this book, but I listened to the audiobook and I found when my kids were with me, they were completely bored by it,…moreThere's nothing objectionable in this book, but I listened to the audiobook and I found when my kids were with me, they were completely bored by it, it's a much slower pace and much denser than most YA books (and I do read a lot of YA books also).(less)
The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
1st out of 1,638 books — 6,014 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
6th out of 2,521 books — 18,112 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 28, 2015 Kat O'Keeffe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOKTALK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-XEW...

Just as I expected, this book was FANTASTIC. The story, the characters, the world, the magic system--I loved it all! It was a wonderful first book in a series--satisfying on its own, yet there's still plenty to explore in future books (which I will definitely be reading soon!)

Really, the only somewhat negative thing I have to say is regarding all the hype. While I definitely think the praise is deserved, it did leave me with very very high e
Khanh (the Grinch)
Dec 30, 2015 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it really liked it
Sometimes, I revisit a book I had loved ages ago, only to tell myself "What the actual fuck was I thinking?! This book is crap!!!!! Oh young Khanh, you were so dumb :("

Thankfully, this was absolutely NOT the case for this book. I appreciated it much more the second time around. It could be that it just took time for me to appreciate the book. Or maybe it just glows in comparison to all the crap I had been reading (2.5 average rating last year, baby!). Either way, I ain't complaining!

First, the b
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOAH. That was a crazy epic adventure full of fantastic characters and action packed madness! It definitely lived up to all the hype for me. :)
Christine Riccio
Jan 29, 2015 Christine Riccio rated it it was amazing
MISTBORN WAS SO GOOD GAHH HERE'S MY BOOKTALK: http://youtu.be/S9kgwYQ6MPs
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hate everyone.

You: Everyone who?
Me: Yes.
You: Wut?
Me: Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it!
You: *backs away slowly*
Me: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. *sobs*

Are you one of them? Are you? Did you rave about MISTBORN and convince me it was one of the BEST fantasy series ever? You can't believe I haven't already read it--I'm going to LOVE it. Hmm? DID YOU?!

Then you, friend, are who I hate.

As for you, Mr. Sanderson . . . I TRUSTED YOU.

I collected your clues and gathered your h
Kat Stark
Nov 23, 2015 Kat Stark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Anasylvia

Buddyread with the lovely Kimi (Click to read her review)

I drew a motherfucking picture! Don't judge me, I am the worst kind of artist.

Chris
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love ...more
Jessica (priceiswong)
Feb 05, 2016 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
See my full discussion (with GIFs :P) at www.priceiswong.com
Anila
Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you ...more
Markus
"He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."

A thousand years ago, a young and noble hero arose from rural obscurity into being hailed by Terris priests as the prophesised Hero of Ages. The nations and armies of the world were united beneath his banner in an effort to challenge the Deepness, the mysterious force of darkness threatening to engulf the world. All hope was pla
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 10, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
December 2015

I re-read half of this (on audiobook), and I feel like I remember enough now to continue on with the trilogy. I only read this a year ago, so it's actually a bit fresher in my memory than I thought!

July 2014

*4.5*

So good oh my godddddd
Darth J
Jan 12, 2016 Darth J added it
Shelves: high-fantasy
Metalbending

Guys, I really tried to get into this. I'm always looking for a new series to binge and I heard great things about this one. Sadly, like with Steelheart, I just wasn't feeling it. I think I'm just immune to Sanderson's writing style. Further, I guess High Fantasy really isn't for me (maybe it's all of the ridiculous names?).

Anyway, what I did like was Allomancy. You can tell Sanderson spent a lot of time working out what different metals would do in his universe. I especially liked t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Aug 26, 2015 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss and George RR Martin Fans
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
Reread of Series starting August 12 - Just as good the 2nd time through plus I caught some hints this time so even better.

Shadows of Self should be released October 6th. So what better excuse do I need to reread every book in the Mistborn world? NONE!!!

Original Review May 2014:
“There’s always another secret.”

That seemed to be the theme for this book. Even when I thought I was on the inside and knew what was going on a new development would come about and I would realize that I like the chara
Jonathan
Add-on December 7 2014:

I completed my first re-read of Mistborn today and I must say that it becomes a lot slower to read the second time when you know where everything is headed. You notice the wordiness of the prose, the clunky dialogue and the fact that there are quite a few spots where it feels overly dramatised rather than necessarily natural. Yet for all of that Brandon Sanderson is a fine storyteller - not necessarily as great a writer at first but he gets a lot better in his later books
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
NOBODY TOUCH ME RIGHT NOW.

REVIEW TO COME.
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
A masterpiece in every way, Mistborn - The Final Empire doesn't just rise to the top of the fantasy genre, it actually redefines it!

The history books of the Final Empire tell of a battle that took place over 1,000 years ago, when a prophesied hero defeated a threat known only as The Deepness and gained the powers of a god to be come the Lord Ruler. However, the people of The Final Empire know better! They know that the omnipotent Lord Ruler that now dominates them all is no hero or god, but rath
Regan
Dec 17, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. That. Was. Really. Good.
Jon
Duchess Nicole
Epic Buddy Read with my Epic Fantasy loving buddy readers Tom, Amy (BW), Pat, Rosanna, Sarah (my lovely), Estelle, and Roxanne...Whew!!! I've been dying to read this series!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope."

MY SYNOPSIS:
It's been a thousand years since people have seen the sun or a flower...a thousand years since the Lord Ruler claimed control over the world, since he assumed the role of the Hero o
Dylan Williams
Jan 30, 2015 Dylan Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know words. I just know this was fantastic!

I read this as a part of Booksplosion and #YearOfCosmere
Josh
Dec 18, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
After many failed attempts at starting up various fantasy series, Brandon Sanderson has delivered something refreshing and vastly entertaining. This is very nearly a five star novel, though there are a few simple discrepencies that keep Mistborn from being great.

Pros:
- I was immideately pulled in by the bizarre world environment here. The idea of a land completely covered in ash at all times is strange and interesting.
- The "magic" system, if it can be called that, is unique and a breath of f
Bookworm Sean
Nov 18, 2015 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an epic fantasy series and The Final Empire, the first book in the trilogy is, in itself, epic. A world oppressed by a dark ruler sees a thieving group take upon the mantels of heroes. This, along with the help of their mystical power, Alomancy, determines the fate of the Mistborn. If anything, Brandon Sanderson certainly knows how to write alarmingly cool books.

Awesome magic system

Alomancy allows the wielder to burn metals, inside themselves, enhancing their physical abilities such as
Kaya
Jan 13, 2016 Kaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
"But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.“

This book wrecked me. Honestly, it was better than I've expected. Robert Jordan's influence is obvious, but Sanderson is still original in telling his own story. He lays low on clichés and this novel is everything but predictable. It can also be read as a stand-alone, though I can't wait to continue with the series.

A thousand years ago, a young man arose as
Bookwraiths
Sep 15, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

I came late to the Brandon Sanderson show. Numerous things caused this. Marriage, work, and kids did dramatically reduce my reading time just when Mr. Sanderson first arrived on the scene. And, no, I didn’t get introduced to him through Wheel of Time, because my disgust with the middle of that series made me abandon it long before Sanderson took over writing duties. But I did keep having his name whispered in my ear, and the suggestions to “Read Sanderso
AriaStuckinWonderland

RATING: a+

I fucking hate you Brandon Sanderson.

You are an evil person. A mad person. A person who has no conscience at all!!!

Why? Why the fuck? Why???

*sobbing*

I'm upset.

I'm sad.

I'm angry.

I'm happy.

I want to kill people.

I'm seriously distraught with this entire thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love this book. But there were just so many things towards the end of this book that broke my heart. I was so invested with these characters that when I lost one of them, I just couldn't help myself not to cry.

Gsa
JAIME
Okay, okay.

First off, I'm a bit of a Sanderson newbie. My first foray into Brandon's remarkable mind came at the end of last year, where despite having started The Way of Kings 3 or 4 times, Steelheart became the first Sanderson story I would ever finish. Now I'm a Sanderson Fangirl. I have Sandersonitis. I've been Sandersoned.

OBSESSED.

Second; Sanderson writes the best prologues. And then there are the stories within the stories and GAH! I can't even deal.

The Final Empire is the story of a ra
Sercan Vatansever
Kusursuzluk. Sanderson'ın zekası hayranlık uyandırıcı. Nasıl tatmin edeceğini o kadar iyi biliyor ki... Kitaba başlamadan önce şunu bilmelisiniz; kitap bitince kendinizi inanılmaz bir boşlukta hissediyorsunuz. Sissoylu'dan sonra okuyacağınız kitabı sağlam ayarlayın yani. Ya da bir süre okumayın benim gibi.

Yaratılan dünya okuduğum en özgün dünyalardan biriydi. İlk başlarda gözüm korktu, sayfalar yavaş çevrildiği için şevkim kırıldı ama sonra o kadar çok alıştım ki bitince üzüldüm.

Bu sihir sistem
Sarah Churchill
I really, really enjoyed this first installment of the Mistborn Trilogy, and I'm very glad I have the box set on hand so that I can continue onwards straight away. Even though it wasn't left on much of a cliffhanger there's plenty that I need to discover from the new society.

It did take a little while to get into and to find my feet with the world and powers, but that's usual for me with a high fantasy such as this, especially one with many 'main' characters and a variety of different powers and
Cassy
When someone asked Brandon how many magic systems he had created, he replied more than we realized. The astute audience member then asked how many magic systems we could expect to read about one day. To which Brandon responded, “Only the good ones.”

And the magic in Mistborn is good. Really good. Admittedly, I am picky about my magic. It should require effort and time to master. I need limitations and give-and-take. Make it interesting. I’d like a clear methodology and maybe a dash of whimsy. I e
Brandon Sanderson: Favorite Mistborn characters? 44 225 7 hours, 27 min ago
Goodreads Friends: January 2016 - The Final Empire Discussion 13 24 Jan 24, 2016 03:13AM
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, Vol 3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the beginning of 2016 are The Bands of Mourning , the sixth Mistborn novel, and Calamity , the finale of the Reckoners trilogy.

He also released his longest novella yet, Mistborn: Secret History , which explores behind the scenes of the original Mistborn Trilogy and thus is filled with spoilers for those three books; it also has some spoilers for The Bands of Mourning.

B
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”