Start by marking “Sojourn (Time Rovers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sojourn (Time Rovers, #1)

Sojourn (Time Rovers #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  35 reviews
London, September 1888. An aged Queen Victoria rules. The threat of anarchy hovers in the air. A new kind of evil lurks in the back alleys of Whitechapel. Enter Jacynda Lassiter, a Time Rover on a mission find an overdue tourist' and return him to 2057 before he changes history.

Victorian London is a dangerous place for the unwary. Mysterious shape-shifters haunt the stree

Published May 1st 2006 by Dragon Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Sojourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sojourn

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsTimeline by Michael CrichtonSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Best Time Travel Fiction
277th out of 1,063 books — 3,413 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana Gabaldon11/22/63 by Stephen KingThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsTime and Again by Jack Finney
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
178th out of 359 books — 878 voters

More lists with this book...

Allison
Alternate Victorian historical mystery with time travel and shape shifters, and Jack the Ripper on top. This was exactly my cup of tea. It did start out feeling like a bit of a mish-mash at some points, but I ended up really enjoying it and the whole series. All of these elements came together better and better as the overall story developed, although it might not be apparent yet by the end of the first book.

In this book, there are three mysteries including the Ripper plot. The paranormal and sc
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
[writing rough draft of rev, notes]

I'm giving this one a 3.5 . I had fun reading it. I've read the author's Demon Trapper's series (and loved it). This was written before (and I do think that writer's get better the more books they have under their belt).

The characters are well done, and I liked their interactions. Also, the heroine is strong, smart but not invincible. The mythology is a different twist too. All of these are things I'm starting to associate with Oliver's work.

Cynda is a Time Ro
Sandy
Feb 03, 2011 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I’ve struggled to figure out how I should write this review because all I really want to say is that this book is great and that if you like time travel, Victorian London and well thought out characters then you’ll love Sojourn, but that’s not really a review is it?

Sojourn begins in Pompeii on, as Doctor Who calls it, Volcano Day. The top has blown, smoke is billowing, people are screaming and the lava is flowing, and flowing rather too quickly for Jacynda Lassiter’s taste because she isn’t runn
Suzan
Jun 24, 2014 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fans
I enjoyed this one a lot, not as good as The Demon Trappers series but really good. I loved the concept of the book and the addition of the Jack The Ripper murders even if we don't encounter the Ripper himself or find out who he is!

I really liked the characters as well and confess to a hope that perhaps Cynda will be remaining in Victorian London and that (as much as I adore Keats) she will end up entering a relationship with Alistair as I really liked the good doctor!

I love the whole plot threa
Rhonda
I really enjoyed this story -- time travel, talking spiders, shape shifters and Jack the Ripper. How can that not be cool?
Steven
Jacynda Lassiter is a Time Rover on mission. Find a missing “tourist” and bring him back to 2057 before he changes history. A simple task? Not quite. The time period is Victorian England. The place none other than the infamous Whitechapel District. And she’s been deposited into this maelstrom just before the Ripper’s killing spree.

In addition to the horrendous conditions that abound in Whitechapel, messy streets, prostitutes, thugs, the Ripper, mysterious shape-shifters lurk about, making frien
Natalie
In an effort to try and clean out my tbr shelf, I downloaded a bunch of samples from Amazon, to see if they were worth reading. After a slew of disappointments, I was about to give up. I was wondering if it was just my mood, but then I came across Sojourn.

I basically loved it.

It had so many great elements - the setting, the characters, the plot, the writing. Everything was great. I couldn't put it down. Any book with time travelers, Jack the Ripper, and smidgen of progressive Victorian romance
Lynn Worton
Jacynda Lassiter is a time rover from 2057. She is sent back to 1888 to collect an overdue tourist from Victorian London. Whilst there, she meets two gentlemen who have secrets of their own; one a doctor, the other a police officer. But when one of her colleagues from 2057 is found murdered in 1888, Jacynda is caught in a world of mystery and intrigue that could change history forever, unless she can find the madman and stop her future from disappearing.

After reading Jana Oliver's Demon Trapper
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this book for review from Jana's PA

Sojourn is a book Jana wrote a few years ago, before her Demon Trapper's series and it's actually a pretty decent read as well! Time traveling, shapeshifters not bad. And a murder mystery on top of it!

I had some high expectations going into the book, but not all of them were lived up to unfortunately. Not to say it was horrible, I just didn't get sucked in like I was expecting. I think it was due to some of the descriptions running a little long. It
Amanda
When I had the opportunity to read Jana Oliver's Sojourn, I jumped at the opportunity -even before I had any idea what the book was about. Aside from the fact that I just love books, I also have recently fallen in love with Oliver's Demon Trappers series, so it's hard for me to say no to any of her other work. However, I'm always careful when it comes to delving into an author's past titles. While such an expedition can turn up unexpected gems, it can also turn up some titles that were just not ...more
Kelley Ceccato
Kay
Well written and engaging

I enjoyed the plot line and the characters. There are no annoying information dumps here, and even though it took time to understand certain elements of the plot and characters it was intriguing rather than annoying. I think this is an excellent, original "take" on time travel, and I will probably buy the other books in the series eventually. At the moment I'm backlogged with eBooks or I would have continued the series immediately.
Creta Massenge
Travel through a bit of history

Okay, I admit it! I am a sucker for time travel stories. Time travel feeds my imagination as no other story line. First time reading this author, I bought book two before finishing this one. Beg, borrow, or buy your own copy. Our heroine is funny, capable, and able to steal a heart or two.
Truitti
Finished the entire trilogy on this date. Do not have or will buy the hard back or paperback, but this trilogy will be reread when I am a bit down and need some escape. I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and bits of interesting facts. I always enjoy a book that makes me wonder if a fact is true. the wonderment causes me to look things up on the net. then I silently curse the author when I travel down the rabbit hole and find related history or facts that spark my interest. loved the fact that t ...more
Alison
This was a great 1st book. I am really glad it come up on my must to read list and I truly enjoyed the book. The characters were smart and funny in their own way. The time travel is what really caught my attention and it had me thinking where if anywhere would I like to travel.
Angie
Really enjoyed this little trip into Jack the Ripper's London via Time Travel. Engaging characters, interesting plot line and quite imaginative storytelling. Light and fun, easy to read, with a mystery twist.
Chaele
What an amazing story. Was a very quick read, time travel to Victorian London during the time of Jack the Ripper. Interesting characters with depth. I'm totally hooked and bought the other two books in the trilogy.
Steve G
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and well developed; the dialog seemed natural and matched the characters well. I will be reading more of Jana Oliver.
Erik Buchanan
Excellent early work by Jana Oliver. Does a great job of recreating the atmosphere of 1888 while reading a new and original tale around Jack the Ripper.
Deb
Fantastic combination of fantasy and history. I love the Jack the Ripper story!
Cathryn McDonald
I would most certainly read anything that Jana Oliver has set her hand to. She has the midas touch. Jana is an incredible storyteller and her ability to create and enthrall is phenomenal. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Sojourn' and so, am immediately immersing myself in, and devoting my time to reading the next two novels in the Time Rovers Series - as well as eagerly and most painfully awaiting the release of the third novel in Jana's Demon Trapper's Series.

Jana Oliver you're brilliant, it's a joy read
Alistair Irving
Interesting take on Jack the Ripper story, although would have made more sense to know the real killer than implicate a fake one. I'll carry on reading the rest of the series.
Chris Jackson
Jana Oliver is a plot-smith par-excellence. This book will leave you begging for the next two in the trilogy. Her research into the Ripper slayings is flawless, and her use of time-travel and a nice twist of paranormal is well devised without getting too "this is how things work". Just enough to suspend my disbelief and keep me turning pages. Well done!
KWinks
This was really good. I highly recommend it for fans of Gail Carriger. Victorian Englan + shape shifters + time rovers + Jack the Ripper. Sojourn introduces us to the three main characters (all three are great!). The description is just wonderful. I can't call it steampunk, but I think it would appeal to steampunk audiences as well.
Good stuff!
Carrie
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and I loved the whole sub plot of the shapeshifters. I've already started reading the 2nd in the series.
Richard
Okay book.
I think the time aspect is a bit "weak". Not sure if I like the time period that she is writing in. I guess we will see how the rest of the series pan out.
Mindy
It was fairly long, but it was ok. It did not grab and hold my attention, so I don't think I will read the rest of the books in the series.
Tigerlily
Excellent. Well plotted, with Jana Oliver's trademark dry humour in evidence throughout.
Alison
Bought and autographed at the World Fantasy Convention 2008.
Erin Mendoza
Suffice it to say I'll be picking up the next one :)
  • Roil  (The Nightbound Land, #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Morna's Legacy: Box Set #1 (Morna's Legacy, #1-3)
  • Backward Glass
  • Like Clockwork
  • Large Print (Unshelved, #8)
  • Music of Ghosts
  • Legends Reborn
  • Shipbuilder (The Time Travel Journals, #1)
  • Untitled (Gone With the Respiration, #3)
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
  • Linked Through Time (Through Time, #1)
  • Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter
  • Through Time-Whiplash
  • Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • Day of the Predator (TimeRiders, #2)
  • The Edge of Forever
Jana Oliver is an international and Amazon bestselling author who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Her novels have won numerous awards, including the Prism Award, the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Supense as well as the National Readers' Choice Award.

Her novels cross many genres, including Young Adult (the Demon Trappers Series, Briar Rose), time travel/historical mystery (The Ti
More about Jana Oliver...

Time Rovers (3 books)
  • Virtual Evil (Time Rovers, #2)
  • Madman's Dance (Time Rovers, #3)
Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) Forbidden (The Demon Trappers, #2) Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3) Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4) Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)