Start by marking “Sojourn (Time Rovers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sojourn (Time Rovers, #1)

Sojourn (Time Rovers #1)

London, September 1888. An aged Queen Victoria rules. The threat of anarchy hovers in the air. A new kind of evil lurks in the back alleys of Whitechapel. Enter Jacynda Lassiter, a Time Rover on a mission find an overdue tourist' and return him to 2057 before he changes history.

Victorian London is a dangerous place for the unwary. Mysterious shape-shifters haunt the stree

Published January 1st 2006 by Dragon Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Sojourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sojourn

Allison
Alternate Victorian historical mystery with time travel and shape shifters, and Jack the Ripper on top. This was exactly my cup of tea. It did start out feeling like a bit of a mish-mash at some points, but I ended up really enjoying it and the whole series. All of these elements came together better and better as the overall story developed, although it might not be apparent yet by the end of the first book.

In this book, there are three mysteries including the Ripper plot. The paranormal and sc
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 03, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
[writing rough draft of rev, notes]

I'm giving this one a 3.5 . I had fun reading it. I've read the author's Demon Trapper's series (and loved it). This was written before (and I do think that writer's get better the more books they have under their belt).

The characters are well done, and I liked their interactions. Also, the heroine is strong, smart but not invincible. The mythology is a different twist too. All of these are things I'm starting to associate with Oliver's work.

Cynda is a Time Ro
Sandy
Aug 16, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I’ve struggled to figure out how I should write this review because all I really want to say is that this book is great and that if you like time travel, Victorian London and well thought out characters then you’ll love Sojourn, but that’s not really a review is it?

Sojourn begins in Pompeii on, as Doctor Who calls it, Volcano Day. The top has blown, smoke is billowing, people are screaming and the lava is flowing, and flowing rather too quickly for Jacynda Lassiter’s taste because she isn’t runn
Rhonda
Apr 09, 2009 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story -- time travel, talking spiders, shape shifters and Jack the Ripper. How can that not be cool?
Kelley Ceccato
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this book for review from Jana's PA

Sojourn is a book Jana wrote a few years ago, before her Demon Trapper's series and it's actually a pretty decent read as well! Time traveling, shapeshifters not bad. And a murder mystery on top of it!

I had some high expectations going into the book, but not all of them were lived up to unfortunately. Not to say it was horrible, I just didn't get sucked in like I was expecting. I think it was due to some of the descriptions running a little long. It
Amanda
Oct 23, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
When I had the opportunity to read Jana Oliver's Sojourn, I jumped at the opportunity -even before I had any idea what the book was about. Aside from the fact that I just love books, I also have recently fallen in love with Oliver's Demon Trappers series, so it's hard for me to say no to any of her other work. However, I'm always careful when it comes to delving into an author's past titles. While such an expedition can turn up unexpected gems, it can also turn up some titles that were just not ...more
Steven
Dec 29, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing
Jacynda Lassiter is a Time Rover on mission. Find a missing “tourist” and bring him back to 2057 before he changes history. A simple task? Not quite. The time period is Victorian England. The place none other than the infamous Whitechapel District. And she’s been deposited into this maelstrom just before the Ripper’s killing spree.

In addition to the horrendous conditions that abound in Whitechapel, messy streets, prostitutes, thugs, the Ripper, mysterious shape-shifters lurk about, making frien
Natalie
In an effort to try and clean out my tbr shelf, I downloaded a bunch of samples from Amazon, to see if they were worth reading. After a slew of disappointments, I was about to give up. I was wondering if it was just my mood, but then I came across Sojourn.

I basically loved it.

It had so many great elements - the setting, the characters, the plot, the writing. Everything was great. I couldn't put it down. Any book with time travelers, Jack the Ripper, and smidgen of progressive Victorian romance
Mandy Walkden-Brown

The story begins with Jacynda coaxing an unwilling tourist to leave from the streets of Pompeii just as Vesuvius erupts. Hmm, Pompei and time travel - pretty much had me from there. Who knew tourism of the future could be quite so dangerous or bizarre!
The descriptions are vivid without being overblown and it was very easy to imagine oneself in the dark and dank streets of Jack the Ripper's Whitechapel as Jacynda combs the environs for her missing lover, friend and fellow time agent Chris Stone.
Lynn Worton
Oct 05, 2013 Lynn Worton rated it it was amazing
Jacynda Lassiter is a time rover from 2057. She is sent back to 1888 to collect an overdue tourist from Victorian London. Whilst there, she meets two gentlemen who have secrets of their own; one a doctor, the other a police officer. But when one of her colleagues from 2057 is found murdered in 1888, Jacynda is caught in a world of mystery and intrigue that could change history forever, unless she can find the madman and stop her future from disappearing.

After reading Jana Oliver's Demon Trapper
Annmarie Ager
May 23, 2011 Annmarie Ager rated it it was amazing
I'm a massive Jana Oliver fan she writes amazing books When I saw Sojourn I knew I had to read it and see what is was all about.

The books starts of with Jacynda and the year is 2057 but her job is to take people back in time like a holiday but rather then some hot beach in a different country she takes you back in time and you can see history unfold first hand with you own two eyes. It sounds like such a amazing job and who wouldn't want to try that but when she is sent back to 1888 to pick a o
Karen
May 09, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
I've always loved books about time travel and this is no exception.

We join Cynda who is a Time Rover from 2057. Time travel is now available to anyone for a price. If you want to become a tourist you can choose to go anywhere in time, whether that is Pompeii just before the eruption or Chicago in the 1920s.

Cynda travels back to Victorian London to find a lost tourist and the Rover who was sent to find him. We join her on her travels and follow her trying to blend in with the Victorians and mak
Suzan
Jun 19, 2014 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fans
I enjoyed this one a lot, not as good as The Demon Trappers series but really good. I loved the concept of the book and the addition of the Jack The Ripper murders even if we don't encounter the Ripper himself or find out who he is!

I really liked the characters as well and confess to a hope that perhaps Cynda will be remaining in Victorian London and that (as much as I adore Keats) she will end up entering a relationship with Alistair as I really liked the good doctor!

I love the whole plot threa
Truitti
Apr 27, 2013 Truitti rated it really liked it
Finished the entire trilogy on this date. Do not have or will buy the hard back or paperback, but this trilogy will be reread when I am a bit down and need some escape. I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and bits of interesting facts. I always enjoy a book that makes me wonder if a fact is true. the wonderment causes me to look things up on the net. then I silently curse the author when I travel down the rabbit hole and find related history or facts that spark my interest. loved the fact that t ...more
Cathryn McDonald
Nov 18, 2011 Cathryn McDonald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I would most certainly read anything that Jana Oliver has set her hand to. She has the midas touch. Jana is an incredible storyteller and her ability to create and enthrall is phenomenal. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Sojourn' and so, am immediately immersing myself in, and devoting my time to reading the next two novels in the Time Rovers Series - as well as eagerly and most painfully awaiting the release of the third novel in Jana's Demon Trapper's Series.

Jana Oliver you're brilliant, it's a joy read
Patricia
May 14, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
Rating 3.5. I like time travel stories and this story is no exception. This was fairly clean, some crass words here and there, prostitution (Jack the Ripper era), some references to sex, but nothing graphic. Even the violence (Jack the Ripper, remember, wasn't too graphic for me and I am a squeamish person. I was a little dismayed that Cynda was kind of a sterile character somehow. The three male main characters (I include Ralph) seemed much warmer and three dimensional to me. However, I am atta ...more
David Lancaster
If only time travel could be this cool! And especially when you can find out who really is Jack the Ripper! Well....maybe. Don't want to give anything away! (wink-wink!) A great adventure that has Jacynda Lassiter jumping from 2057 to 1888, and back again. And back! And then she's dealing with transitives, in Victorian London no less! You'll have to read the book to find out what these cool people can do. It all wraps into a nice mystery/adventure, that will keep you turning those pages to find ...more
Kay Ling
Feb 28, 2015 Kay Ling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and engaging

I enjoyed the plot line and the characters. There are no annoying information dumps here, and even though it took time to understand certain elements of the plot and characters it was intriguing rather than annoying. I think this is an excellent, original "take" on time travel, and I will probably buy the other books in the series eventually. At the moment I'm backlogged with eBooks or I would have continued the series immediately.
Creta Massenge
Feb 19, 2015 Creta Massenge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Travel through a bit of history

Okay, I admit it! I am a sucker for time travel stories. Time travel feeds my imagination as no other story line. First time reading this author, I bought book two before finishing this one. Beg, borrow, or buy your own copy. Our heroine is funny, capable, and able to steal a heart or two.
Chris Jackson
Aug 21, 2011 Chris Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jana Oliver is a plot-smith par-excellence. This book will leave you begging for the next two in the trilogy. Her research into the Ripper slayings is flawless, and her use of time-travel and a nice twist of paranormal is well devised without getting too "this is how things work". Just enough to suspend my disbelief and keep me turning pages. Well done!
KWinks
Apr 02, 2011 KWinks rated it really liked it
This was really good. I highly recommend it for fans of Gail Carriger. Victorian Englan + shape shifters + time rovers + Jack the Ripper. Sojourn introduces us to the three main characters (all three are great!). The description is just wonderful. I can't call it steampunk, but I think it would appeal to steampunk audiences as well.
Good stuff!
Chaele
Feb 04, 2015 Chaele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
What an amazing story. Was a very quick read, time travel to Victorian London during the time of Jack the Ripper. Interesting characters with depth. I'm totally hooked and bought the other two books in the trilogy.
Angie
Jul 03, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this little trip into Jack the Ripper's London via Time Travel. Engaging characters, interesting plot line and quite imaginative storytelling. Light and fun, easy to read, with a mystery twist.
Alison
Feb 04, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great 1st book. I am really glad it come up on my must to read list and I truly enjoyed the book. The characters were smart and funny in their own way. The time travel is what really caught my attention and it had me thinking where if anywhere would I like to travel.
Day
Feb 20, 2011 Day rated it really liked it
Review on Paperbackdolls.com
Erin Mendoza
Feb 27, 2012 Erin Mendoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffice it to say I'll be picking up the next one :)
Dani (Pen to Paper)
Feb 01, 2015 Dani (Pen to Paper) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this! Looking forward to book 2 :)

Full review coming soon!
Barbara
Oct 12, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Time travel to Victorian England, what's not to love?
Richard
May 05, 2008 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, heroine
Okay book.
I think the time aspect is a bit "weak". Not sure if I like the time period that she is writing in. I guess we will see how the rest of the series pan out.
  • Roil  (The Nightbound Land, #1)
  • Shipbuilder (The Time Travel Journals, #1)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc. (Butterman Travel series #1)
  • The Doctor and the Rough Rider (Weird West Tales, #3)
  • Large Print (Unshelved, #8)
  • The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)
  • Legends Reborn
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Like Clockwork
  • Fledge (I Am Just Junco, #2)
  • Music of Ghosts (Mary Crow, #5)
  • Soul of Fire (Magical British Empire, #2)
  • Backward Glass
  • Phoenix Rising (The Phoenix Institute, #1)
  • The Clockwork Man
Jana Oliver is an international and Amazon bestselling author who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Her novels have won numerous awards, including the Prism Award, the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Supense as well as the National Readers' Choice Award.

Her novels cross many genres, including Young Adult (the Demon Trappers Series, Briar Rose), time travel/historical mystery (The Ti
More about Jana Oliver...

Time Rovers (3 books)
  • Virtual Evil (Time Rovers, #2)
  • Madman's Dance (Time Rovers, #3)