Start by marking “Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3: The Hell Stick” as Want to Read:
Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3: The Hell Stick

Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3: The Hell Stick (Samurai Executioner #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  10 reviews

Readers of Lone Wolf & Cub came to know a samurai of such high honor that he was not only able to perform but enjoyed and, in fact, learned from basic daily tasks. Cutting wood, cooking food. That wasn't something a samurai did back in feudal Japan. These same human elements are apparent in Kubikiri Asa, the main character in Samurai Executioner. He's a man of the peop

Published February 8th 2005 by Dark Horse Manga

To ask other readers questions about Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samurai Executioner, Vol. 3

Andrew
There are three long stories in this volume. The first one is an intriguing story concerning political betrayals and honour. The second is about social positions, and the third is about out Samurai Executioner helping a young man develop his skill as a police man.

All the stories were good, but I was hoping for more development of the over-arching plot. It was nice to learn more about Yamada's social and private life though, as well as his position in government.

Unfortunately, at this point I se
Mohammed
Created by the legendary creator team who made my alltime favourite manga in Lone Wolf and Cub.

Not as much epic sword action as Lone Wolf and Cub but the same extremly well reaserched Edo period Japan that tells many short stories about high born, low born peoples lives back then. Fascinating historical stories that are more literary than 99% of Samurai mangas.
Neon Snake
Episodic story-of-the-week books like this are so difficult to review; The Hell Stick is a fantastic story though.
Devin Bruce
It sounds trite to say, but the best description I can come up with for this series is that it’s like Lone Wolf & Cub’s twisted older brother. There’s more nudity, more decapitation, more rape, more bloodshed, and more plain old depravity in a random chapter of this story than in entire volumes of LW&C. After my first exposure I was afraid that they were just doing it for pure shock (I have nothing against shock for shock’s sake, but these creators are usually more thoughtful than that). ...more
Angel
This series continues to be an excellent read. One of the things I particular enjoy is how well it evokes the setting's era. You can tell the author did his homework. As for the stories in this series, they were all very good. I have to admit that I may have to reread the first one about the woman involved the betrayal plot. I think I missed something in there. But it was still good. The one about the dishonored samurai seemed a bit short, but it was good, and the characterization excellent. Ove ...more
Sonic
In contrast to "Lone Wolf And Cub" which is such a dynamic plot within which many stories were able to thrive, this series does NOT exist within a dynamic plot. The hero is a (you guessed it) Samurai Executioner and sword tester, and yet here is the surprising thing. These ARE excellent stories within this seemingly dull context.
Michael
The third Samurai Executioner is far better than the first two volumes. All three stories focus more on the Executioner than before. We are able to learn more than we ever have before about his past and why he acts the way he acts. It was good to actually see the title character for more than a few pages here and there in the stories.
Coryke
The storytelling in this volume is the best of the first three volumes. There is less action than in previous volumes, but the stories were riveting.
Murray
Simply brilliant

Reading this in digital form in the Dark Horse iPad App.
Aaron
This series isn't as good as "Lone Wolf and Cub". Still, it is worth the time to pick it up.
Maesano Ariele
Maesano Ariele marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo #10)
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
Kazuo Koike (小池 一夫, Koike Kazuo) is a prolific Japanese manga writer, novelist and entrepreneur.

Early in Koike's career, he studied under Golgo 13 creator Takao Saito and served as a writer on the series.

Koike, along with artist Goseki Kojima, made the manga Kozure Okami (Lone Wolf and Cub), and Koike also contributed to the scripts for the 1970s film adaptations of the series, which starred famou
More about Kazuo Koike...

Samurai Executioner (10 books)
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 1: When the Demon Knife Weeps
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 7: The Bamboo Splitter
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 8: The Death Sign of Spring
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 9: Facing Life and Death
  • Samurai Executioner, Vol. 10: A Couple of Jitte
Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger (Lone Wolf and Cub, #3) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 4: The Bell Warden (Lone Wolf and Cub, #4) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind (Lone Wolf and Cub, #5)