Start by marking “Who Invited You?” as Want to Read:
Who Invited You?

Who Invited You?

Come along for the ride in this
"rollicking read-aloud"
Heron,
Coon,
and -- uh oh! -- Gator
along
on a nice little girl's boat trip down the bayou?
NO ONE, that's who!
Published October 1st 2001 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Who Invited You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Invited You?

Suki
Jul 05, 2016 Suki rated it liked it
I read this with an accent (I hesitate to say it was a New Orleans one because.... yeah) but when my daughter read it to me, she tried to say it with the accent because it sounded so good to her but she couldn't do it well so she asked me to read again. :-)
Stacie
Mar 18, 2015 Stacie rated it really liked it
Author: Candice Fleming
Illustrator: George Booth
Title: Who Invited You?

Plot: A Nice little girl just wants to take a ride down the river in the swamp. Unfortuntely so do all the swamp critters. Will she have room for them all? What about that gator?

Setting: Swamp

Characters: Little Girl, Swamp Critters

POV: 3rd

Theme: Swamp, Counting

Style: Picture Book, Children's, Counting, Surprise, Made up words

Copyright: 2001

Notes: I really didn't like this book until the gator showed up and ate everyone. Not s
Taylor
Feb 24, 2016 Taylor rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. The only rhyming scheme was on point, but the plot was a little weird. You have this girl on a boat going done the swamp the all of these animals come along. Eventually it's too crowded and then an alligator eats the animals. It was shocking , violent, and kind of funny. I'm still a little iffy and people should know the ending before reading this to children.
Jennifer Hewitt
Feb 24, 2015 Jennifer Hewitt rated it it was ok
I was not a fan of this book, the illustrations to this book are good, a little creepy in my opinion. To have a children's book end in death is very surprising and a little sad, even when the girl was happy that all these animals had died. It may be realistic but it is not something i would have my future classroom read.
Andrea Davis
Sep 22, 2014 Andrea Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A rather funny and charming little book! The animals invite themselves to pile onto the main characters boat just to get overtaken by a gator. The illustrations depict some ridiculous circumstances when will leave kids wanting more. Despite the unexpected ended, I liked this book a lot.
Shayna Towle
Feb 24, 2016 Shayna Towle rated it really liked it
I thought this was a funny story. I like how it has silly words in it and rhyming. Rhyming is definitely something I enjoy in books because it's easy to figure the words out. I also like silly stories because it will keep kids entertained.
Juliana Lee
The reader joins as a little girl goes polin' through the swamp. One by one critters invite themselves onboard causing a ruckus in the little flat bottomed boat. The boat gets more and more crowded until an alligator comes along, "a-smilin', a-slinkin', and a-blinky-blanky-winkin'". There's no room for him on the boat, but he assures them there's room in his belly for all of them! The animals all take off and the girl is left alone to go a-polin' by herself.
Kaylie Rahe
Sep 22, 2016 Kaylie Rahe rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
The book was funny, but I don't think I would use it in the classroom. Half of the words are just sounds and not real words, and in the end the alligator comes along and eats everybody.
Ashley
Oct 06, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprising ending! I was not expecting all the animals to die in the end, especially in a children's book! However, I kind of liked the fact that it was more realistic for children.
The murky, pastel colors help suggest the tension and help foreshadow that something awful will happen on their journey.
The enormous amount of white or negative space on each page seemed to separate the text and illustrations.
The lines in the book originally were more wispy and thin emphasizing the girl's frustrati
Kim
As the main character, a young girl, poles her skiff through the swamp, she is joined by several animals inviting themselves onto her boat through a rhyming counting text. Gator makes boat-member number ten-- but when the animals all say that there's no room for him on board, HE has room for THEM-- in his tummy! The young girl continues on her way through the swamp, alone in her boat again. Energetic text and illustrations, if a bit unsettling. Perhaps not for the reader who likes ALL the charac ...more
Auttumn C
This you be a really fun read aloud! This book can be used through a variety of grade levels; for example this us of counting to ten in the book would be fun for pre-k through kindergarten and Since the setting is based in the swamp it would be a good book introducing the swamp habitat. Fun book because of the rhyming words, highly recommend it, but i must warn you If you are going to read it to the class read it before hand because some of the words get a little tricky!
Ginny
Nov 23, 2011 Ginny rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, text and illustrations. The illustrations had a lot of motion to them and went along well with the text. The text was very good in that it had a kind of refrain and similarities throughout that a child could really do well with. I found the ending a bit odd (maybe would be scary for younger children) since it's implied that the gator eats all the other animals and the girl seems happy about getting to be alone.
Julie
Nov 13, 2009 Julie added it
Shelves: math
This is book could be paired introducing basic counting skills. The book goes from the number one to the number nine, adding one each time. Kindergarten? It is funny how it goes from nine back to one. Students could write their own stories that are similar to this one.
The Brothers
Mar 07, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: crocodiles, swamps
An okay book about a girl poling in the swamp and all these animals joining her. Not as charming as One Dog Canoe and the illustrations aren't as good either. But it does have some nice wordage.

Illustrations are sloppy but fun nonetheless.
Jenny
Sep 28, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, childrens
This is a great book--I think I enjoyed it more that my kids! Funny text, funny pictures. It's really fun to read out loud--rhymes and rhythm, the opportunity to use funny accents and voices.
Lesley Looper
Aug 10, 2013 Lesley Looper rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2013
Pretty cute story, which seems like it would be a fun read-aloud with young readers, along with cute illustrations.
Dale
Dec 21, 2011 Dale rated it it was amazing
My storyimte kids and parents love this book!
Nativida
Jul 18, 2012 Nativida rated it liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Story reminds me of "I Want My Hat Back"
Tommy Schlosser
Tommy Schlosser rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Jennifer Meikrantz
Jennifer Meikrantz marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st
More about Candace Fleming...