Fiabe italiane raccolte e trascritte da Italo Calvino (Volumes 1& 2)

Fiabe italiane raccolte e trascritte da Italo Calvino (Volumes 1& 2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  2,342 ratings  ·  140 reviews
La raccolta ormai classica di Italo Calvino. Edizione integrale.
Paperback, Gli Struzzi
Published 1971 by Einaudi (first published 1956)

emily
May 15, 2011 emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you name it. really.
As a tiny child, I read this an enormous number of times -- I remember bringing it in to my kindergarten class to show to my teacher (who, certainly, had doubts that I'd actually read it. Psh. (Yes. I am hugely pretentious.))

Regardless. I've read bits and pieces of it again and again over the years, and it remains one of the most delightful books I know. There is no reason for this not to be a favorite book for kids -- it's exciting, full of an enormous number (200!) of vivid stories perfect in...more
Nandakishore Varma
Review available on my blog. Link provided below:

Italian Folktales

I hope to God that the above action (providing a link to a review located elsewhere) is not against GR policy...
Scribble Orca
Apr 22, 2013 Scribble Orca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: either Calvino completionists or fiabe italiane fetishists
Useful reference material. To be admired for the approach and scholarship. Otherwise bland.
Laura Vo
Nov 27, 2007 Laura Vo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Most traditional stories were past down from generation to generation in an oral tradition which made for well paced and entertaining stories. Sadly they are often retold in the hands of someone with a pace that is comparable to a three legged horse in a race, and sadly not as entertaining. (I know some of you are thinking I'm awful for that right now and are taking a moment to think the worst of me.) Thankfully, Italo Calvino lent his hand to the collecting and retelling of Italian folktales an...more
Alastair Fontana
My mother gave me this book when I was seven years old. She got it from a salesman who was smart enough to convince her that the book was perfect for a seven years old, even though it was a book of more than a thousand pages, and an expensive one, with an heavy binding that made it difficult for a little boy to handle. Well, this was probably the best gift I ever had. I read the book countless times, totally fascinated by the weirdness of the characters and by the gruesomeness of the stories, el...more
Amanda
I wish my parents had read this aloud to me when I was little- perhaps one of the best collections of fairy tales I've ever read. Calvino finds a very strong narrative voice while still managing to balance his own typical style and the speaking style of those who told him the stories in the first place.

My favorite is a similar story to little red riding hood except with an ogre...
"Grandmother, what a big neck you have..."
"I've always worn such heavy jeweled necklaces my dear."
"Grandmother, what...more
K.D. Absolutely
This is my 4th Italo Calvino (1923-1985) book and he is still to disappoint. According to Wiki, Calvino was the most-translated contemporary Italian writer at the time of his death, and a noted contender for the Nobel Prize for Literature. Maybe he did not win the Nobel because his writings, the 3 books of him that I’ve read, have no political undertones.

This book, Ten Italian Folktales was included in penguin 60s, 60 small books that were published by Penguin Group on the occasion of their 60th...more
Jill
Well, Neil Gaiman gave it five stars...

and Wikipedia had this intriguing insight:

"Over a seven-year period, Calvino wrote three realist novels, The White Schooner (1947–1949), Youth in Turin (1950–1951), and The Queen's Necklace (1952–54), but all were deemed defective.[28] During the eighteen months it took to complete I giovani del Po (Youth in Turin), he made an important self-discovery: "I began doing what came most naturally to me – that is, following the memory of the things I had loved b...more
Sylvia
Calvino es un autor que me gusta. Su ensayo de por qué leer a los clásicos brindó siempre geniales discusiones en mis clases. Corazón Jaguar siempre ocupará un lugar especial en mi corazón de alcachofa. Peeeero descubrir esta joya fue extraordinario.

Leerlo con un vaso de leche y galletitas, disfrutar cada una de las historias, volverse niño no preguntar, no decir eso no me lo creo, no cuestionar. Disfrutar solamente todas estas historias de hadas, príncipes, brujas, dragones y magia tanta. Volve...more
xDEAD ENDx
Too many of these stories followed the same pattern: poor character is having a bad time > something semi-magical happens > character gains wealth or nobility.

For a writer with communist sympathies and an anarchist father, Calvino sure seems to (re-)tell a lot of stories that glorify kings, marriage, and wealth.
Mary Catelli
Calvino wanted to be Italy's Brothers Grimm. Not in the sense of collecting the tales, which folklorists had been doing, but creating a popular collection. This is the result, down to the 200 tales. He notes that he also, like the Grimms, spruced up the tales. Unlike them, he put in end notes about what tales he combined, and what little details he added. (He went by the language and not by the country's borders.)

It's a wide variety, including some religious legends and animal fables and tales a...more
Mara
E’ un’ antologia a tratta dalla celebre raccolta di fiabe italiane provenienti dalle diverse tradizioni regionali d’Italia, curata da Italo Calvino nella metà degli anni 50.
Dopo tanti anni, l’ho riletta a poco a poco, gustandomi le favole ed intervallando la lettura : è un libro da centellinare, riscoprendo storie dimenticate ed assaporandole letteralmente.
Molto coinvolgente cio’ che Calvino ha scritto per parlare del suo lavoro di scopritore e revisore :
“…per due anni ho vissuto in mezzo ai bo...more
Parrish Lantern

This is a masterful collection of Italian Folktales, where the reader is lured into a world of flux, of metamorphoses, where kings and peasants, tricksters and saints, and a whole zoology* of extraordinary animals, plants and fish wend their way through the landscape and history of the Italian nation.

Italian Folktales (Fiabe Italiane) is a collection of 200 folktales, collated from various regions around Italy, and from the works of a whole army of collectors, folklorists, ethnologists etc., mak...more
Kohl
These are some seriously crazy fairy tales.

I finally finished this book.

I've been reading it, with varying degrees of intensity, since early 2004.

It is a 700+ page book of 200 folktales with notes and intros.

I tried to read one fairy tale every day. I failed that goal, but I came close at times.

These stories were so crazy, and yet most echoed motifs and structures of the fairy tales of other cultures.

I am so completely fascinated with the psychological need in society that has perpetuated the...more
Luciana Darce
Mas que livro gostoso de ler! Terminei-o agora a pouco e imediatamente vim escrever a resenha, ainda sobre o encantamento produzido pela prosa combinada dos contos italianos e Italo Calvino.

Esse livro tem uma proposta parecida com a de 103 Contos de Fadas, da Angela Carter, mas, curiosamente, é uma leitura bem mais leve. Misturam-se em suas páginas contos de fadas, fábulas, anedotas, folclore e há um bom humor fantástico que parece permear toda a obra – do tipo que me fez ficar rindo de lado com...more
Zerge
A legtöbb mesét ismertem más, általában teljesebb, tetszősebb változatban, amit meg nem, az leginkább kalandregény-kezdemény. És persze joban örültem volna feldolgozatlan meséknek, szerencsére a jegyzetekből kiderül, hol mancsolt beléjük Calvino, de akkor is.
A képek nagyon szépek, de hogy jönnek népmesékhez? :D
Christiana
Ah an oldie but a goodie ... pulled this out to read some of the tales to my 3 year old. While she fell asleep during the 1st one, I kept reading. This is a book I've read before (parts), but enjoy again and again.
Natália Pereira
Jan 02, 2011 Natália Pereira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natália by: Letícia
Eu já gostava de Italo antes de ler Fábulas Italianas, agora passei a gostar ainda mais.
Fábulas que quero ler para meus filhos e sobrinhos.
Excelente presente da mia sorella Letícia! ;-)
GraceAnne
Generally speaking, I don't post books on Goodreads that I have read more than 20 years ago. I read this extraordinary and deep collection in 1990, but parts of it still haunt me.
Ian Evans
An amusing collection of fairy tales and folk stories that hasn't a whiff of postmodern style. Suck it, lit majors.
Amy
Folktales are always fun to read, but I believe I was halfway through this exhaustive volume when I had to stop. An exorbitant number of stories had to do with men who killed their wives for some stupid reason and expected them to come back to life. It was ridiculous. Men beating their wives, men killing their wives, with something magical thrown in for good measure. Maybe the second half would have been better, but I couldn't go on. Italo gets three stars for the sheer academic effort of record...more
Anna
200 folktales ... I feel like I have accomplished a major reading project.

Reading folktales/fairytales, it's fun to see some of the similarities in European stories and start to pick up not only national but regional idiosyncrasies. This extensive collection of Italian tales not only has similarities to some very familiar stories but some also have threads of Arabic tales and Roman myths.
This is my first experience of Italian folktales outside of Roman mythology, so one of the things I don't re...more
Antonia
A distanza di anni, rileggere queste fiabe alle mie due nipotine è stata una riscoperta. Una riscoperta che, preciso, non è stata sempre piacevolissima: forse perchè la rilettura "da grandi" impone necessariamente una visione meno spassionata o portata alla fantasticheria, ma anche e soprattutto perchè tolto il puro interesse romanzesco (ho trovato che anche quello, con gli anni, va scemando) resta la sensazione straniante di trovarsi di fronte a testi che pur avendo segnato la mia infanzia appa...more
Dennis Vickers
Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino is a marvelous collection of stories akin to Grimms Fairy Tales, or Charles Parrault’s Tales of Mother Goose. As the preface explains, Italy lacked, until this book, a ‘comprehensive book of Italian folk tales, one that would be representative of the entire country and intended for popular consumption as well.’ Calvino must have expended an immense effort, working through 19th century source materials, to compile these stories, but none of this scholarly toil i...more
Eleclyah

Fiabe italiane è una splendida raccolta curata da uno degli scrittori italiani che amo di più. Italo Calvino, in questo cofanetto di tre volumi, è riuscito a condensare il fiore della tradizione fiabesca italiana. Ricchi mercanti, orchi, principi, inganni, sorelle invidiose, geniali popolani (a volte imbroglioni) e perfino Gesù e San Pietro sono soltanto una piccolissima parte degli elementi che popolano i libri.

Raccontate senza fronzoli, le fiabe di Calvino provengono da tutte le regioni italia...more
J
Delightful stuff, and very readable, which is what happens when an author compiles a book of folktales. Unfortunately, the other thing authors like to do--alter the tales to make them smoother or more interesting--also happened. Calvino admits doing this, however, and in the notes to each story, he acknowledges where he made changes. Anyone hoping to use this book to broaden their knowledge of folktales and how they work should make sure they review the notes for any story they're considering. F...more
Joe
My Grandmother, from Italy, would tell my brother and I Giufa stories every night. We loved them. I have become the teller of Giufa stories. I was convinced that my Grandmother had made all these stories up about this poor farmboy, and his mother.

When my eldest son was in 1st Grade, he asked me one night after a Giufa story, "Is Giufa real, Dad."
Wanting my son to believe these stories to get the full impact, I replied, "Of course."
Then my son said, "Then tomorrow when we go to the library we c...more
Sandy Carlson
This is a great read of not only 200 Italian folk tales, but also background notes on the set and on each individual story. There are many familiar tales and many not-so-familiar. Collector Italo Calvino has tried to remain true to the original tales, not tweeking them for German children like the Grimms, nor for the "gentle English minds" as with Andrew Lang and company. Therefore, there are some lovely true Italian stories in this collection. Great short reads.
Hannah
This is an amazing collection of stories. Sure, some of them overlap (there are 200) but that's fine. The notes at the back of the book are interesting - Calvino catalogs the origin of each tale and the nature of his own changes (if he'd made any).

The stories are generally ordered by region, which results in a fairly palpable change in tone and characterisation (especially of girls!) between parts.

This is one book I'll hang on to for a long time. I think it would be a great trove of inspiration...more
  • African Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • The Victorian Fairy Tale Book (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers
  • Fearless Girls, Wise Women & Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World
  • The People Could Fly: American Black Folktales
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • Collected Folk Tales
  • Breaking the Magic Spell: Radical Theories of Folk and Fairy Tales
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books)
Italo Calvino was born in Cuba and grew up in Italy. He was a journalist and writer of short stories and novels. His best known works include the Our Ancestors trilogy (1952-1959), the Cosmicomics collection of short stories (1965), and the novels Invisible Cities (1972) and If On a Winter's Night a Traveler (1979).

His style is not easily classified; much of his writing has an air of the fantastic...more
More about Italo Calvino...
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler Invisible Cities The Baron in the Trees Cosmicomics Il cavaliere inesistente