Start by marking “My Ol' Man” as Want to Read:
My Ol' Man

My Ol' Man

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Patricia's father is always telling stories, and the best is the one about the magic rock. But does the rock have enough magic to help when he loses his job?
Published May 24th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about My Ol' Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Ol' Man

Lisa Vegan
This story is Patricia Polacco’s homage to her father. He was a traveling salesman, and then found a second career.

I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book; the story was just okay for me, which is hard to say since it’s a cherished memory of an author who I respect greatly. Perhaps my own issues with my father kept me from enjoying this as much as I might have; I have enjoyed most of the stories written by Polacco. Here, the magic wasn’t magical for me.

In the front and back inside cover
Hailey
Mar 09, 2016 Hailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This is a story about two kids whose parents are divorced so they spend the summer with their dad and gramma in Wilmington. They are dirt poor but their dad shows them this "magic" rock and the rock helps bring good luck on the family. At the end of the story the rock is gone and the kids realize the magic is in them and not the rock.
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book because they are different than most. I also like how they portrayed a family with divorced parents because that is
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have a lot of her books to discover.

In this story, Tricia and Richie's Dad loses his job and despite the anxiety of being unable to provide for his family, he finds a way to bring hope and a sense of wonder to his children by showing them a magical rock he discovers in the forest.

The story also briefly examines the difficulties for children of d
Kristine Hansen
May 26, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
After reading many of Ms. Polacco's books I'm starting to get a real feel for her family and her history. This story introduces us to her father, a man who manages to keep the kids hopeful in difficult circumstances by introducing them to a certain magic found in a rock. I liked how the young Trisha is taught to paint, as this feels like a massive turning point in her life. And I love how the family looks out for each other and helps each other through their challenges.
Alicia Lawrence
Apr 07, 2016 Alicia Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about to kids who live with their dad and grandma. After their dad loses his job, they find a rock that gives them hope. There dad eventually gets a new job because of his writing and they find that it was the rock that gave them all the hope and courage.
Cally Turner
Oct 31, 2012 Cally Turner rated it really liked it
This book was very good. I loved how it was from the point of view of the children and was all about their father. They loved having their father come home at the same time everyday, until they found out that he got fired. They loved spending time with him and a bonding moment was when they saw found the magic rock. This book is able to relate to kids because it says how the two parents are divorced and what it's like when they spend time with their father. It is a sweet story because they have ...more
Ms. B
Feb 22, 2015 Ms. B rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, 2015
Patricia writes and illustrates a loving story about her down and out Dad in what appears to be the Depression era of the 1930s
Feb 21, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I love this tribute to her father and the message behind the magic rock. Hope, faith, and a belief that things will work out.
Brianna Crall
Oct 14, 2015 Brianna Crall rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how I missed this one for so long! It's amazing! True Patricia Polacco genius!
Shelli
Apr 12, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Patricia Polacco is a woman who has experienced so much in her life. Each book is a personal narrative of different events or people who have impacted her. In this story she pays tribute to her father, a quirky traveling salesman who struggles to get by financially.

This was not my favorite Patricia Polacco story but still an entertaining read.
Kim Browning
Oct 25, 2012 Kim Browning rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of text, so it would take a while to read to a class. It would be a great starting point for a writer's workshop for the students to write about themselves. This is a good story about a family, job loss, a magic rock, and love.
Carol Royce Owen
Nov 05, 2012 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
Once more, Patricia Polacco shares a beautiful memoir of a special time with her family. When her father loses his job during tough times they need magic to get them through, and they find it in a special rock deep in the woods.
Samantha
Apr 08, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
This books is about a girl whose father is always telling stories about his job. One of his stories is about a magic rock. Her father loses his job, and she hopes the magic rock can save them. This book is about hope.
Emily Graham
This story is so touching. It represents a divorced family and still having hope and faith that good things are to come as long as you believe. I think a lot of students would be able to relate to this family situation.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
the story of a father with many stories finds a new way to support his family, by finding and telling he stories he findes on the radio
Clara
Mar 03, 2014 Clara rated it really liked it
A good memorial book. I read this for a forty book challenge from school. I am so glad I pick this book!
Shannon
Jun 28, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Pretty rad. I'd love if Patricia Polacco didn't cost $2500 a day to come visit our kids...
Lorna
May 23, 2011 Lorna rated it liked it
Written about Polacco's own father, it warmly looks at him in all his glory and flaws.
Jineesh
Jineesh marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jun 06, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 03, 2016
Lisa Baron
Lisa Baron marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Constance Dinsmore
Constance Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Payton Sage
Payton Sage is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
Lia
Lia rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016