Start by marking “My Ol' Man” as Want to Read:
My Ol' Man

My Ol' Man

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Patricia's father is always telling stories, and the best is the one about the magic rock. But does the rock have enough magic to help when he loses his job?
Published May 24th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about My Ol' Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Ol' Man

Lisa Vegan
This story is Patricia Polacco’s homage to her father. He was a traveling salesman, and then found a second career.

I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book; the story was just okay for me, which is hard to say since it’s a cherished memory of an author who I respect greatly. Perhaps my own issues with my father kept me from enjoying this as much as I might have; I have enjoyed most of the stories written by Polacco. Here, the magic wasn’t magical for me.

In the front and back inside cover
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have a lot of her books to discover.

In this story, Tricia and Richie's Dad loses his job and despite the anxiety of being unable to provide for his family, he finds a way to bring hope and a sense of wonder to his children by showing them a magical rock he discovers in the forest.

The story also briefly examines the difficulties for children of d
Cally Turner
This book was very good. I loved how it was from the point of view of the children and was all about their father. They loved having their father come home at the same time everyday, until they found out that he got fired. They loved spending time with him and a bonding moment was when they saw found the magic rock. This book is able to relate to kids because it says how the two parents are divorced and what it's like when they spend time with their father. It is a sweet story because they have ...more
Ms. B
Patricia writes and illustrates a loving story about her down and out Dad in what appears to be the Depression era of the 1930s
I love this tribute to her father and the message behind the magic rock. Hope, faith, and a belief that things will work out.
Shelli
Patricia Polacco is a woman who has experienced so much in her life. Each book is a personal narrative of different events or people who have impacted her. In this story she pays tribute to her father, a quirky traveling salesman who struggles to get by financially.

This was not my favorite Patricia Polacco story but still an entertaining read.
Kim Browning
This book has a lot of text, so it would take a while to read to a class. It would be a great starting point for a writer's workshop for the students to write about themselves. This is a good story about a family, job loss, a magic rock, and love.
Carol Royce Owen
Once more, Patricia Polacco shares a beautiful memoir of a special time with her family. When her father loses his job during tough times they need magic to get them through, and they find it in a special rock deep in the woods.
Samantha
This books is about a girl whose father is always telling stories about his job. One of his stories is about a magic rock. Her father loses his job, and she hopes the magic rock can save them. This book is about hope.
Emily Graham
This story is so touching. It represents a divorced family and still having hope and faith that good things are to come as long as you believe. I think a lot of students would be able to relate to this family situation.
Theresa
the story of a father with many stories finds a new way to support his family, by finding and telling he stories he findes on the radio
Clara
A good memorial book. I read this for a forty book challenge from school. I am so glad I pick this book!
Shannon
Pretty rad. I'd love if Patricia Polacco didn't cost $2500 a day to come visit our kids...
Lorna
Written about Polacco's own father, it warmly looks at him in all his glory and flaws.
Katy
Katy added it
Apr 03, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Mar 21, 2015
Kat Cavazos
Kat Cavazos marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Erica Menendez
Erica Menendez marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
larisa harvey
larisa harvey marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman
  • Farewell to Shady Glade
  • black is brown is tan
Thank You, Mr. Falker Pink and Say The Keeping Quilt Thunder Cake Chicken Sunday