Start by marking “Divodějní” as Want to Read:
Divodějní

Divodějní (Comic Tales of Fantasy #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,418 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Theatre of Cruelty - Terry Pratchett; How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art upon the Gnoles - Lord Dunsany; Hell Hath No Fury - John Collier; The Twonky - Henry Kuttner; A Great Deal of Power - Eric Frank Russell; Doodad - Ray Bradbury; Not By Its Cover - Philip K. Dick; The Rule of Names - Ursula K. Le Guin; Mythological Beast - Stephen Donaldson; The Adventure of the Sno ...more
Published 1997 by Talpress

To ask other readers questions about Divodějní, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divodějní

Ewa
Dec 17, 2011 Ewa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very wide range of light short stories, so everyone will probably find something just for himself. The ones that made themselves memorable for me are the following:
- P. K. Dick's story about the wub's skin and its immortalizing qualities (nice choice of experimental "wubby" texts, e. g. Lucretius)
- F. Austey's epic of how a lawyer transported to the world of glass ball saved the princess by defeating the dragon with rat repellent
- A. Davidson's deploring the irreparable loss of the last livin
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Masters of science fiction and fantasy indeed: this collection pulls short stories from genre-breakers and blazers who shaped science fiction and fantasy into what they are today. The stories are almost exclusively reprints (with the possible exception of Douglas Adams' who apparently added a few things for this volume). That said, it could be a worthwhile read to get a taste of the variety in the field.

Many of the stories were good; I'll highlight two in particular. "The Twonky," by Henry Kuttn
Lea
Mar 11, 2014 Lea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book of short stories has some of my favorite authors (Pratchett, LeGuin, Douglass Adams), and some of the best known, most established science fiction and fantasy writers (Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Clarke, Lewis, Wells, to name just a few) yet I found it highly irritating and completely unsatisfying. I believe the editor, Haining was trying to make a compendium of every science fiction writer that had ever been considered witty or clever, which is great, but... jeeze, it was painful to read. ...more
Leigh-Otter
This has the same problem as most anthologies not based on thematical similarity, a shared world, or written by authors with similar styles have - the stories are all over the place and the variety too wide. It's a grab bag of different stories by miscellaneous authors, with the stories having only loose thematical resemblance to each other, and there's no stylistic similarity between the authors - and so it suffers as a whole. Some of the individual stories I'd rate higher, others were so borin ...more
Chris
Has some funny stories and some not so funny. Roughly half are funny, so it's a pretty mixed bag.
Adobe
Apr 13, 2014 Adobe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of "humorous" science-fiction/fantasy stories. It includes "The Twonky." Because alien mind-control devices killing people is hilarious. I mean, "The Twonky" is an okay story, but it's a "comedy" only through comparison with the incredibly dull and humorless backdrop that is mainstream SF. Half of the stories here were genuinely funny, and half were just...stories told with some sardonic twist. All the stories here are from significant figures in the genre, so it serves as a good hi ...more
Brodysatva
A book of light short stories, although, as I'm struggling to read at the moment, the book has taken me weeks rather than hours to get through. The good? Well, I don't want to provide spoilers, so won't, but Terry Pratchett's 'Theatre Of Cruelty' was a great opener. My other favourites, and I'm going to limit myself to two, were Fredric Brown's 'The Ring Of Hans Carvel' with it's lewd but hilarious punchline and Asimov's 'Playboy and the Slime God'. I love the fact that Brown got away with this ...more
Chloe
Jan 23, 2015 Chloe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was my book of short stories for the 2015 reading challenge. I thought given as I love fantasy and short stories that this would have been a safe bet, but to be honest it was a bit of a disappointment. There were a few good stories in there, but in general it was a bit of a slog.
Michael
Nov 02, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of comic tales in science-fiction/fantasy. The short stories featured in this anthology are written by some of the masters of these fields.

I would highly recommend this anthology.
Benjamin
Aug 31, 2015 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good whirlwind of stories
Helen
Oct 16, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collection of humorous fantasy and sci fi, including such heavy hitters as C.S. Lewis, Arthur C. Clarke, Kurt Vonnegut, Terry Pratchett, and Issac Asimov, to name just a few.

Good stories, as you'd imagine, from such great names. The humor stays smart, thoughtful, with just a tinge of blue here and there. The only complaint I might have is that Ursula Le Guin is the only female author in the bunch. But honestly, everything in it is so good, I can forgive the editor this oversight.
B
Jun 13, 2015 B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Here, the author seems to have specific and unique tastes that trend toward the morbid and erotic. I don't think he and I would agree on comedy or anthologizing. But he chooses from some pretty fancy authors so it works out, at least partially.

A couple of these were really good. The strongest ones were the genre-crossing stories.

krin
Apr 13, 2012 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this collection of humorous fantasy stories. Two of my favorites were "Doodad" by Ray Bradbury about a man who learns too late not to underestimate seemingly useless items and "The Rule of Names" by Ursula K. Le Guin about a mysterious wizard and a knight.
Elisabeth
Overall? Meh.
There is one great story. A Good Knight's Work, by Robert Bloch, is original and hilarious. Most of the others are just silly. Mostly a waste of time but worth picking up just to read Bloch's story.
Joni
Aug 30, 2015 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marvelous retrospective collection of witty stories from the masters of science fiction and fantasy: Pratchett, Bradbury, Asimov, Aldiss, Lewis, Wells, Vonnegut, an even their predecessors!
Simon Deimel
Dec 07, 2012 Simon Deimel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book are full of humor and unusual ideas. There are so many classic authors contained. Fantasy and science fiction do not have to be serious all the time. I really enjoyed it.
Karin
I really enjoyed this collection. It is a guided tour of humorous fantasy (and science fiction) and the editor's notes at the beginning of each story are wonderful history lessons.
Vilis
Oct 29, 2013 Vilis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foršo stāstu proporcija bija jūtami lielāka, kā biju gaidījis. Pārsteidzoši daudz arī černuhas pilnu gabalu, bet humora izjūtas ir atšķirīgas un tā. Galvenais, ka garlaikoties nesanāca.
Karin
Nov 16, 2011 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories in this collection offer a different version of the wizard image,it may take awhile to make the connection and then it's:"Aha,I get it!"Fun to read.
Yvensong
Apr 04, 2009 Yvensong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: Joe
Several stories are fun and funny, though others did nothing for me at all. Pretty common for a collection of short stories.
Tanvir Muntasim
A very good collection of comic fantasy stories, introducing to a lot of out of print classic stuff.
DDog
Dec 22, 2008 DDog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and poignant short stories from many authors with fantastical themes and smidgens of sci-fi.
William
I tried and tried to read this to conclusion but I couldn't. It just did not hold my interest.
Outi
Jun 20, 2012 Outi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lainatut, fantasy
Nice collection, although I was disappointed that it contained science-fiction as well as fantasy.
Omly
Jun 24, 2009 Omly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of short stories, but these were amusing quick reads, perfect for the bus.
Haiku Reviews
Jul 12, 2013 Haiku Reviews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this for Pratchett
Learned about some new authors
Must check those guys out
Andii
Aug 02, 2014 Andii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection. I'll have to look up other works by some of the authors.
Martin Willoughby
Some good, some indifferent, but interesting and worth reading.
Gavin
Dec 17, 2008 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of fantasy short stories, good, bad and indifferent.
Mark
A collection of moderately humorous/absurd short stories.
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Legends Volume 2
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Snuff Fiction
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...

Comic Tales of Fantasy (3 books)
  • The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy