Start by marking “Aprendiendo de Las Vegas (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Aprendiendo de Las Vegas (Spanish Edition)

Aprendiendo de Las Vegas (Spanish Edition)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,115 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Aprendiendo de las Vegas surgio a partir de una saludable controversia que tuvo lugar en 1972, en la que se llego a la conclusion de que los arquitectos deberian ser mas receptivos a los gustos y valores del pueblo comun, y menos impudicos en sus erecciones como "heroe" de los monumentos elevados para si mismos. La presente edicion incluye la totalidad de los textos origin ...more
Published November 28th 1998 by Editorial Gustavo Gili (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Aprendiendo de Las Vegas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aprendiendo de Las Vegas

Jimmy
Aug 03, 2009 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Venturi has undoubtedly become the black sheep of late twentieth-century architecture. This book is part of the reason why. It's a rather bold, almost crass statement about the askew focus of Modern architecture. He compares Rome to Las Vegas, not to mention the fact that he introduced postmodern irony into architectural perspectives, which the classicists and the moderns probably weren't too thrilled about. His symbolical relativism more or less diminishes every formal masterpiece ever construc ...more
Claudia
Jun 16, 2014 Claudia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
I was disappointed. Some of this disappointment is practical; in trying to save money on this edition, they went too far, and shrank the illustrations too much, to the point where I genuinely can't see what's going on in many of them (several pages have multiple, tiny b&w photos on them, with crappy contrast).

And some of my disappointment may come from familiarity with many of the authors' basic arguments--they're not new to me, which isn't really this book's fault (then again, I did not ha
Leonardo
Sep 15, 2015 Leonardo marked it as to-keep-reference
Shelves: arquitectura
Al contrario que Loos, Robert Venturi resalta la importancia de un edificio que comunica un significado al público, para lo cual necesita la incorporación al edificio de elementos no funcionales; Loos, ingeniosamente, cambió la máxima de Mies van der Rohe «menos es más» por la de «menos es aburrido». De nuevo lo que debemos añadir aquí es que la austeridad funcionalista moderna siempre es reflexiva; también comunica un significado: la «funcionalidad» de un elevado edificio moderno es el mensaje ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Had to read this for my Theories of Popular Culture class for English. The best thing about this book are the old photos of the now "Old" Las Vegas Strip. I especially enjoyed comparing the aerial photos of the 1979 Strip to modern day Google Map and Wiki images. Venturi's duck and decorated shed were also fun to learn about and our teacher encouraged us to examine our own city for similar architectural theory. I learned a lot.
Fred
Nov 05, 2011 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly brilliant and epochal theory/criticism from a guy who, in the end, like so many brilliant theoreticians, turned out to be a crap architect himself.
loobeensky
Mar 28, 2014 loobeensky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ekipa Karakteru to, powiem Wam, nie lada ryzykanci. Kto by pomyślał -- wydawać książkę o Las Vegas w samym środku modernistycznego boomu, kiedy królują zamknięte systemy i idealne rozwiązania, wszystko jest białe oraz minimalistyczne, a jeżeli nie jest białe, to przynajmniej z surowego betonu. Trochę sobie żartuję, bo tak naprawdę uważam, że moment jest doskonały, w sam raz, aby rozruszać dogmatyków i spojrzeć z innej perspektywy na "dekorowane budy" kasyn, przy okazji ucząc się wyrozumiałości d ...more
Meg
Sep 30, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved, thesis
the course i reference in my review of HJ Kunstler's "The Geography of Nowhere" is the same course in which this text was taught. but since the course was a mere 1.0 credit and there wasn't a lot of time to discuss all of the texts, we mostly looked at this book and it's pictures.

which brings me to the great part about this book: there are a lot of pictures and a large assortment of type. there are blueprints, photographs, diagrams, drawings, diagrams imposed on drawings, post-cards on top of st
Aug 07, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent interpretive jumpstart for the scores of urban-vetted visiting LA who say, I just don't get it. We don't have a Brooklyn Bridge or iconic harbor or subway line running through Old Town, but there is a character that identifies itself as a city. A drive of aspiration runs rampant.

Venturi and Scott Brown give voice to the underlying (commercial) forces that defy architectural/urban uniformity but very much infiltrate the landscape, tangibly, pervasively, a way of reevaluating the eme
Angel Pradel
Feb 06, 2016 Angel Pradel rated it really liked it
"Cuando los arquitectos modernos abandonaron honradamente el ornamento sobre los edificios, inconscientemente diseñaron edificios que eran un ornamento. Al favorecer el espacio y la articulación sobre el simbolismo y el ornamento, distorsionaron todo el edificio hasta convertirlo en un pato".

Un pato. Me encanta. Un pato pretencioso. Que bueno.

Shakthi
the usual stand of modernism in america. quite shallow in examples and arguements
Alison
Feb 22, 2016 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting analysis. A little dry
Du
Apr 20, 2013 Du rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: planning
It would be a 3.5 if half stars existed. The book is more fun than required reading. I saw it at a conference recently, having heard the authors a few years ago speak about the impact the book has had as well as the struggles the authors had writing it.

Overall the idea is interesting, looking at Vegas as a metaphor for post WWII design and planning. The book has some great illustrations of signage and massing of buildings, which translate well. Overall it was a good afternoon read.
Alison
Jun 24, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
surprisingly inspiring.
Dan
Aug 07, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y08, for-real
"Architectural theories of the short run tend toward the idealization and generalization of expediency. Architecture for the long run requires creation, rather than adaptation, and response to advanced technology and sophisticated organization ...Although architects have not wished to recognize it, most architectural problems are of the expedient type, and the more architects become involved in social problems, the more this is true." -p.129
Amy Heeter
Jun 03, 2007 Amy Heeter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quality. For an architectural theory book it's top notch. I've never been to Vegas myself, but after reading this, I think my experience would be somewhat colored. It's amazing how few people even realize what Vegas represents. How ignorant and selfish has society become? Even if architectural symbolism isn't your thing, this will open your eyes to how our society has evolved around the automobile.
Tony
Dec 15, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, architecture, design
Although Learning from Las Vegas is 37+ years old, much of the theory holds relevant. Venturi and folks criticism of modern buildings relates to much of what is still being created today. Bearers of the sustainable design flag could learn something from reading this book and applying ideas about vernacular, ornament, and decorated sheds to all fields of production and industry.
Ian
Oct 07, 2010 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When Modern architects righteously abandoned ornament on buildings, they unconsciously designed buildings that were ornament. [...] It is all right to decorate construction but never construct decoration" (163).

Provocative stuff, and intensely relevant to graphic design, but I still couldn't give you a comprehensible definition of a "duck".
Ginger Price
May 23, 2015 Ginger Price rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I'm not an architect or an architecture student so I was unfamiliar with much of the vernacular and some of the concepts were over my head. I had to read this book for a theory class and, while I'm not familiar with architecture, it was a well-written book full of interesting theories. It definitely makes me look at buildings and signs differently.
Mark
Jul 06, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
A brilliant primary text that any student of architecture should immediately read, it will inform you and set you on a path of learning at the highest level. Venturi's practice - Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates - and their approach to design is world-leading and this book demonstrates the clarity of thought and intelligence they apply to this pursuit.
Abraham
Jul 14, 2014 Abraham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
I've wanted to read this since college. Now I have and it it an honest and thorough analysis of the system of signs that is the architecture of Las Vegas. It's importance, of course, is not in what it says about Vegas but in what it says about a way of thinking about architecture and what is valid subject matter for architectural analysis.
Ward
Apr 14, 2008 Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-great
Check if your local library has the 1972 edition designed by Muriel Cooper. It's a breath-taking piece of graphic design, a million times better than the choppy, prosaic and misguided 1977 revision. It's bold, but the fitting structure for a now monumental classic on anti-monumentalism.
Rory Hyde
Sep 28, 2013 Rory Hyde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Design research at its best. A compelling territory, great imagery, polemical texts, surprising insights. Intentionally naive, without being patronising. I read this while in Vegas as an architecture student, we stayed on the old strip, the Stardust sign is still amazing.
Enrique Cedillo
Mar 27, 2008 Enrique Cedillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm not too fond of post-modernism, but this book is one of the best criticisms I've read about modern architecture. The way Venturi understands popular things is quite interesting. Definetely worth reading.
PJ
Nov 20, 2008 PJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me by some brainy, overanalytical grad student in college, it is nonetheless a fine and relevant book for any student of design or resident of this vapid commercial strip we call America.
Bryan
Didn't care for the academic tone and a lot of the history/theory went over my head, but it's worth it for the appreciation of vernacular and the Duck v. Decorated Shed distinction.
Shane
Aug 23, 2007 Shane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dun
interesting for its cultural implications but also rather dry and at times straight up boring / not interesting. but then again, i'm no architect so perhaps that's why it fails to appeal?
Jimmy
Apr 22, 2008 Jimmy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
a classic, although i guess it's widely seen as outdated...but i think i'm into it.
Chris and Yuri
Sep 02, 2008 Chris and Yuri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris and Yuri by: Randy Coleman
The unofficial handbook of postmodern architectural (and non-architectural) thought.
kelly
Dec 28, 2007 kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
totally fascinating chronicle of architectural development in l.v.
Usen
Apr 17, 2008 Usen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic design study.
  • Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Towards a New Architecture
  • Collage City
  • The Seven Lamps of Architecture
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Thinking Architecture
  • The Image of the City
  • The Ten Books on Architecture
  • Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture
  • Yes is More: An Archicomic on Architectural Evolution
  • Space, Time and Architecture: The Growth of a New Tradition
  • The Four Books of Architecture
  • Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
  • Theory and Design in the First Machine Age
  • Building Construction Illustrated
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
Robert Charles Venturi, Jr. is an American architect, founding principal of the firm Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates, and one of the major architectural figures in the twentieth century. Together with his wife and partner, Denise Scott Brown, he helped to shape the way that architects, planners and students experience and think about architecture and the American built environment. Their build ...more
More about Robert Venturi...

“The Italian landscape has always harmonized the vulgar and the Vitruvian: the contorni around the duomo, the portiere'S laundry across the padrone's portone, Supercortemaggiore against the Romanesque apse. Naked children have never played in our fountains, and I. M. Pei will never be happy on Route 66.” 2 likes