First in the Family: Your College Years: Advice About College from First Generation Students

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A companion to First in the Family: Your High School Years, this next-step guidebook straight from their peers tells first-generation college students how to stay in college and graduate.
Published October 25th 2006 by Next Generation Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about First in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First in the Family

Cui
Attending college and leaving family is one of the things I am the most worried about ever since the end of the Junior year. High School year has been going by really fast, Senior Year won't be any different. College, SAT, AP classes are taking up all my times and keeping me worried. As a first generation student and the first in the family, there are many things that I need to think about and know when it comes to college. This book taught me many different things about colleges that I never an...more
Jessica Montalvo-Anderson
This book gave accounts of first generation students. There were real life accounts and stories that helped the reader to understand where each student was coming from. I would recommend this book to any student who is first generation. It helps to read other people's stories and experiences to know that you are not alone.
Kerry
"First in the Family" offers sound guidance, from first-generation college students, on adjusting to life after high school.
I recommend this guidebook to those who are struggling with the arduous task of applying to colleges, and who would appreciate the insight therein.
Steven
I was given this book for my new job as the Lead Academic Coach of the Buckeye Generation (1st gen college students). I can't tell you how many amazing quotes, charts, documents, ideas and inspirations that this book is filled with. Truly inspiring and enlightening.
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Sai
Sai added it
Feb 10, 2014
Sue Mauersberg
Sue Mauersberg marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Desi Hartman
Desi Hartman marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Rob Kirbach
Rob Kirbach marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
CTL Teaching
CTL Teaching is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2012
Mary
Mary added it
Nov 12, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Denise Romeo
Denise Romeo marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2012
Nicki
Nicki is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2012
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students Fires in the Middle School Bathroom: Advice to Teachers from Middle Schoolers Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery What We Can't Tell You:  Teenagers Talk To The Adults In Their Lives Circus Dreams: The Making of a Circus Artist