Start by marking “First in the Family: Your College Years: Advice about College from First Generation Students” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A companion to First in the Family: Your High School Years, this next-step guidebook straight from their peers tells first-generation college students how to stay in college and graduate.
Published October 1st 2006 by Next Generation Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about First in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First in the Family

Cui
Dec 09, 2011 Cui rated it really liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
Attending college and leaving family is one of the things I am the most worried about ever since the end of the Junior year. High School year has been going by really fast, Senior Year won't be any different. College, SAT, AP classes are taking up all my times and keeping me worried. As a first generation student and the first in the family, there are many things that I need to think about and know when it comes to college. This book taught me many different things about colleges that I never an ...more
Jessica Montalvo
Oct 17, 2013 Jessica Montalvo rated it really liked it
This book gave accounts of first generation students. There were real life accounts and stories that helped the reader to understand where each student was coming from. I would recommend this book to any student who is first generation. It helps to read other people's stories and experiences to know that you are not alone.
Kerry
Nov 08, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: kerry-s-books, 09-10
"First in the Family" offers sound guidance, from first-generation college students, on adjusting to life after high school.
I recommend this guidebook to those who are struggling with the arduous task of applying to colleges, and who would appreciate the insight therein.
Steven
Sep 14, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
I was given this book for my new job as the Lead Academic Coach of the Buckeye Generation (1st gen college students). I can't tell you how many amazing quotes, charts, documents, ideas and inspirations that this book is filled with. Truly inspiring and enlightening.
Julie Gard
Julie Gard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Jesus
Jesus added it
Feb 24, 2016
Tracey
Tracey added it
Jan 26, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015
Martha Richardson
Martha Richardson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Denise Molina
Denise Molina marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Kylle Elizabeth
Kylle Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2015
William Lawrence
William Lawrence is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kasandrea
Kasandrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Deb Eastwood
Deb Eastwood rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Michael Crawford
Michael Crawford rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Sai
Sai added it
Feb 10, 2014
Sue Mauersberg
Sue Mauersberg marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Desi Hartman
Desi Hartman marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Ryan Jurewicz
Ryan Jurewicz rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2013
Rob Kirbach
Rob Kirbach marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013