Start by marking “Abe: A Novel of the Young Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Abe: A Novel of the Young Lincoln

Abe: A Novel of the Young Lincoln

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A brilliant work of historical imagination, Abe immerses the reader in the isolating poverty and difficult circumstances that shaped Abraham Lincoln's character. Marked by his mother's horrible death and the struggle to keep reading and learning in the face of his father's fierce disapproval, Richard Slotkin's Lincoln comes of age during a dramatic flatboat journey down th ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Abe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe

Jami
I agree with someone else's review that the character of Abe Lincoln doesn't really stand out from the story. I liked the way possibility was spotlighted. If someone from a poor white trash family can make it that far so can anyone. Over all a good read and a fun historical romp.
David
Slotkin's novel covers the life of Lincoln from his earliest years into young manhood and really puts flesh and blood on a character from the past who's often portrayed as a martyr in training. I really find this book exceptional, highly recommended along with Slotkin's "The Crater".
S.
I don't know why I read this. Of course a plain old biography would be better, but as in any undertaking like this, I suppose the writer is trying to imagine what goes in the gaps. It wasn't bad. A must, of course, for Abe Lincoln fans.
Antof9
I think I need to stop reading historical fiction. Or maybe I need to be more aware before I start reading it. It just bugs me to read a book like this and then read something lame like "It draws deeply on historical scholarship, but it is not a biography. Rather, it is an imaginative re-creation of life as a young Abe Lincoln might have lived it, ..." Grrr ...

That said, although this started a bit slow, once I got into it, I didn't want to put it down. The reason I didn't want to put it down i
L.J.
Jun 04, 2008 L.J. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history students
I found it very difficult to rate this book, the reason being that, from a fiction standpoint, it wasn't particularly successful in that the narrator (Abe) never managed to transcend being a literary construct to serve the story, and/or Slotkin never allowed Abe to take on a life of his own within the story, free of a sense of constantly being puppeteered by the author's hand.

The problem is, this may have been a deliberate choice by the author. He took liberties, very strong liberties, by imagin
Bonnie
Technically, I got through more than half of this book and put it down and read two other books and decided to move on with my life. The thing is that I know the outcome (surprise); he becomes president (and a great one too which is why I picked this up). The first part of this book was semi-interesting; the family has next to nothing and no education. He gets some book larnin' and he has issues with his dad. Fairly typical beginning for someone in that era. Then he comes across a new for that t ...more
John
As an American Studies student, I was most familiar with Slotkin's well-known work on violence and American culture. Who knew he could write fiction -- and write like a dream? Don't be deterred by the opening chapter -- an experiment in point-of-view that doesn't quite work, in my opinion. What follows is one of the best bildungsromans I've ever read. I also happens to be the best historical novel I've ever read; still, while the evocation of Lincoln and Jacksonian America will delight those int ...more
Marvin
A novel based on Lincoln's young life, until 1832, focusing on a raft trip he took down the Mississippi River in 1829-30. I have no idea how historically accurate it was--I certainly know of few of the actual events described, & they didn't ring true, but Slotkin is a respected scholar of the 19th-century frontier experience. But his main purpose was to shed some light on the cultural experiences that might have set the tone for Lincoln's later racial views. This was a Lincoln I didn't know- ...more
Cinderella3653
Being an ABE fan I thought this sounded like an intersting book, however when I really started reading it I got so lost in how it was written, and the muddled way the writer chose to form Abes thoughts that it became very difficult for me to finish it. The idea that things Abe was exposed to, formed his strong belief structure was great, but wanderings in the story and a lack of real events (painted in true colors) was a downer to me. There is much we know about him, and sticking to more histori ...more
Angela
I enjoyed this recounting of a young Abraham Lincoln. The book is fiction, but infused with actual people and events from Lincoln's life. The author does a good job of illustrating the struggles of a young nation. Abe Lincoln came from the humblest of beginnings, his loving and supportive mother died young, leaving him with a father that was both physically and emotionally abusive . A caring stepmother filled a void and believed in him . He was mostly self taught and hungered for knowledge in al ...more
Barbara
I didn't know Lincoln was so rowdy in his growing up years. I did enjoy the book, once I got over the fact that there weren't a lot of commas where I would put them. Slotkin did a good job writing so I could picture what was going on.
Melodee
This book uses the bare facts concerning Abe Lincoln's early life as a jumping-off point for a novel. I found some of the scenarios too outlandish- the author seemed to let his imagination run wild. I guess that is the purpose of the book. It was good in the sense that it let the reader speculate about the inner workings of a young Abe's mind. I liked the last couple of chapters the best. This would probably only be a good book for someone who is a Lincolnophile like myself.
Strawfoot
This book was well researched and highly readable; however, the treatment of race and power in 19th century America was pretty ridiculous, as was the continued glorification of Mister Lincoln. Now, I love me some Honest Abe but he was human and having him interact with a host of characters along the Mississippi (see Mister Wilkes and Mister Davis) to create the AHA situation where he realized that the selling of humans was not his liking was laughable at best.
Rebecca Jessup
This is a wonderfully vivid and insightful imagining of Lincoln's first twenty years. It brings his family and him very much to life. It's the sort of book that you really miss when you've finished it.
Al
I liked the book but I don't think most casual readers would enjoy it. Having an affinity for his history helps you ignore the tough parts. The author's "creative" parts are a little irritating.
Molly
A strange, yet interesting look at what Lincoln's childhood might have been like. Largely fabricated, but it keeps much of the "feel" of Lincoln.
Lynda
I really enjoyed this book. I am a big Lincoln fan!
Elizabeth Kuehne
Pretty good book. I enjoyed it.
Meredith
I loved this book... But then, I love Abe. I actually read this as a galley book, one of those books they send to bookstores before the book is published so that people can read it and send back comments for the jacket cover when the book comes out officially. It painted a very accurate picture of the places Abe lived (many of which I have been to), and the events that eventually led him to become our 16th president. Comparable to Gore Vidal's Lincoln, but perhaps more accessible to the average ...more
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Ryan Matthews
Ryan Matthews marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Estee
Estee marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Sharon Piper
Sharon Piper marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Richard Slotkin (1942-) is a cultural critic, historian, and novelist
More about Richard Slotkin...
The Long Road to Antietam: How the Civil War Became a Revolution Gunfighter Nation: The Myth of the Frontier in Twentieth-Century America Regeneration Through Violence: The Mythology of the American Frontier, 1600–1860 The Fatal Environment: The Myth of the Frontier in the Age of Industrialization, 1800–1890 No Quarter: The Battle of the Crater, 1864