Start by marking “Crooked” as Want to Read:
Crooked

Crooked

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Melody is just out of prison. Faced with the absence of her brother, who's serving life in San Quentin, and hardened by her own experiences in lock-up, Mel sturggles to adjust to the harsh realities of life on the outside. She quickly discovers that freeedom is relative...she has no money, no prospects, no guidance.
Forced to return to her mother's apartment in Marin Coun
Published May 1st 2002 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about Crooked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked

rachel
Man, Louisa Luna is so underrated. So few people have read and rated this book and even Brave New Girl has less than 500 ratings. I don't understand it, because I think she's got the cynical voice of a certain type of teen-to-young-adult girl down. The tomboy sort, mistreated or misunderstood, loaded with issues in some way that she is aware of but doesn't fight too hard against -- which is odd, because she'll fight another person in a heartbeat if they make her angry.

Crooked's main character M
Cole
Mar 24, 2008 Cole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who work with traumatized youth
Recommended to Cole by: Kamikaze Killer
I've read stories like this one before, and I probably have met a couple of Mel's, Chicks, or Duke's, but what really interested me about this book was how the author constructed Mel's memory into this non sequential narrative about her past which was intermingled with her present. As a reader you may be in the middle of this scene only to be thrown in to the past, like you were in Mel's head being triggered by some sort of memory. Even the story of past that is intermingled with the present isn ...more
Kim
wow, is all i can say. louisa luna has my full respect. this is the only book that i've ever had to put down (several times) because i felt so sick to my stomach with anguish for the character and the brutality of circumstances in life - especially for a young person trying to start a new life after leaving the criminal (in)justice system, with few resources and little support (so often the case). it might be kind of obscure, but try to get your hands on it and then pass it on. kind of reminds m ...more
Tripfontaine
Wow! I cried a little at the end... maybe
Nancy
Jul 27, 2011 Nancy added it
Although the storyline seemed somewhat promising, the narrative never really gathered enough momentum to make the ending surprising or meaningful. Oh, the signs were there, and it was obvious the author was working on developing two different affected planes of Melody's personality: one that squeaked of an original mental instability resulting from a poor upbringing and neglect, and one that informed her new penchant for aggressive violence, brought about by the abuse she experiences in prison. ...more
Nashwa Shakeel
Picked it up because the cover and the whole interface looked interesting but I found this book written very cleverly. The first few pages made it seem difficult but it was easy to get into after the first chapter. The switching timelines made you look into the mind of a person who was deeply disturbed by the past and made it difficult to adjust to a life post-prison. Glad I read it!
Tracy
I loved Louisa Luna's first novel, Brave New Girl. This story takes place in a different place altogether, but her sarcastic wit is still apparent; she makes me laugh out loud sometimes.

The voice of the narrator was very realistic, and the picture on the cover is symbolic in more ways than one.. I'm afraid that getting too much into the storyline or my thoughts will give secrets away, so I'll just say this. I've read stories like this where the end is open-ended (and that drives me crazy!)) This
Kelly Moriarity
This was actually really good; I picked it up at a garage sale for 25cents and didn't have high expectations. But I was pleasantly surprised!
Cassandra
Something I read over and over again.
Liz
Jan 03, 2010 Liz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who seeks out depressing things
Well-written, but I personally didn't care for the subject matter. It's a good look at someone trying to remake her life after a prison stay. The whole story is bleak and depressing--from her less-than-idyllic childhood to the social set she hooks up with after her release. It's a hopeless story, and I found myself unable to identify with the protaganist. I recommend Louisa Luna's other novel, Brave New Girl.
Natasha Borden
Oct 12, 2010 Natasha Borden rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Natasha by: Mr. Debarger
Shelves: quit
So far this book has an interesting story line, it only laid out Melody's basic life situation and why she is where she is. It has described the characters such as her mother and co-workers. I like this book from what I've already read.

October 8,2010

I quit this book because I completly lost interest in it. It seems like the book has too many words and not enough story.
Bobby
Loved this book. It is a very dark tale of drug addiction and the writer's style pulls no punches. Graphic and shocking, but a compelling read. One of those books that is hard to put down because you know that something is always right around the corner (or on the next page).
Luna's second novel, also published by MTV Books. Gives a female perspective on all those prison-cliche type novels. Not a bad read, but I prefer her other book "Brave New Girl".
Tasha
Her first book was so amazing! I just don't understand how this one could end up being so awful (as in, poorly written).
Michelle
-Not for the faint of heart. Extremely vulgar and violent but riveting, I could not put it down...call me sick...maybe?--
Julie
If you want a happy ending, then this book isn't for you. Quite a depressing book.
kim McDonald
nice quick read.
Antoinette
Antoinette marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Rhiana
Rhiana marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
carrieeboyd
carrieeboyd marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Melissa Wiese
Melissa Wiese marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Gr
Gr is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Barbara Wiesen
Barbara Wiesen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Saix Sics
Saix Sics marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • The Ghosts of Stone Hollow
  • Broken Like This: A Novel
  • Daphne du Maurier
  • The Alphabetical Hookup List A-J
  • The Crafter's Devotional: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Unlocking Your Creative Spirit
  • Revolution on Canvas, Volume 1 : Poetry from the Indie Music Scene
  • Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives: Stories from the Trailblazers of Domestic Suspense
this author is buttery and delicious.

raised in San Francisco, lives in Brooklyn, married to a handsome young man.

please see the writing section below for book synopses and how i feel about them.
More about Louisa Luna...
Brave New Girl Serious As a Heart Attack: A Novel