Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  648 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Is Something Missing in Your Life? Lysa TerKeurst knows what it's like to consider God just another thing on her to-do list. For years she went through the motions of a Christian life: Go to church. Pray. Be nice. Longing for a deeper connection between what she knew in her head and her everyday reality, she wanted to personally experience God's presence. Drawing from her...more
Published September 16th 2009 by Zondervan (first published September 2009)

Mandy Hoffman
There are books that you like and recommend. Then there are those books that you wonder how they even got published. And then there are books like this one that stay with you and you rave to all your friends about it.

Lysa has written a book that will cling to you for days...even weeks...after you have read it, and then browsed the "notes" section because it was that good!

When the book arrived in my mailbox I flipped through the pages in search of the lists telling me what t-do and what not-to-do...more
Sunflower
“Forever”. That was the last chapter of “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl”. Chapter 18-Forever.

Sadly, the book cannot last forever and instead, it ended with a beautiful chapter talking about forever with our Heavenly Father. Reading and working through “Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl” was an amazing journey, because it is more and wasn’t about how to effectively bible study.

Thankfully to our Heavenly Father, is that our relationship with our Heavenly Father is forever

There...more
Tori Moore
Plain and simply, this book is changing my life. I apologize if that sounds melodramatic but God is working in my heart and mind through what I've read in this book. I am reading this as part of a small group study and still have a couple of days before I meet with my Bible Study Girls to discuss it but I had to capture my thoughts right now!

Not only does Lysa TerKeurst write as if she is sitting across a table having coffee with you, she has an uncanny ability to make statements that drive stra...more
Tracy Schuster
Absolutely loved this book and am going to read it again and take notes. She writes so easily, makes you laugh, makes you think, makes you WANT to think about what it means to be more than a good Bible study girl. She's real and it comes through in her writings and stories about herself. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants a deeper, better, real relationship with God. She gives very practical things you can do to draw closer to Him.
Lisa  Marie
This book was AWESOME! I loved it so much and recommend it to everyone! All of her quirky stories like the "Great Brownie Failure of 2008" were things I HAVE done. I could easily relate to everything and found the book full of funny stories (and a few sad ones too, but more funny ones;) that I could easily relate to and learn from. I was the Pineapple girl too, lol! This is a GREAT book!
Trish
This is the first of Lysa's books I have read. Her work is easy to read and very relatable to every day life. I appreciated her frankness and honesty in sharing her personal experiences; helping me to see her human struggles with her spiritual growth. This will definitely be a book which I will return to in the future to re-read all or portions of.
Susan
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down once I started. Lysa has a wonderful way of sharing her life story and showing others how to bring out the good in themselves. I would highly recommend it to ladies of all ages. I would love to do the actual Bible study that goes along with it as well.
Jill
We can be good Bible study girls and still not be living out the truths we are studying. Why? Because it’s easy to study but often difficult to apply the hard truths to our life that God serves up in the Scriptures. In “Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl,” Lysa Terkeurst offers a solution to the endless studying without application. It won’t be easy and will involve looking deep inside yourself for the reasons we act the way we do and the desire to turn away from our flesh.
If you are ye...more
Joselle173
Aug 30, 2012 Joselle173 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
From the Introduction:

"So what is the message I'm delivering in this book? I want to help women not only know God's truth but also feel equipped to live it out in their everyday lives. For too many years I was full of Bible knowledge with no idea how to let the truths I knew impact my daily life. I would go to Bible study, leave all inspired, and then come home and have a complete meltdown over spilling bleach on my favorite shirt. Or a kid's bad attitude. Or finding out a friend betrayed me. Or...more
Patricia
Read this book in conjunction with her video series and the accompanying workbook, with a small group of women gathered weekly. TerKeurst offers examples of her walk of faith through day to day challenges in a down to earth, easy to relate to style. I found her suggestions refreshing and applicable. Certainly can be read without the workbook but I thought the workbook made me think a little more and a little harder about what I learned in the book. The video series was cute but not essential. It...more
Lisa
First, I have to explain why it took me so long to read this book. We used it in by Bible study class, but about halfway through, we had to put it aside because our pastor was coming to teach from a different book. I really wanted to finish it, but decided to wait for the class. Finally, we're finishing it this week. I really liked this book! She's so down-to-earth, funny, and practical with her lessons. She makes numerous points that can really be taken to heart. The study guide that goes with...more
Mary Rose
This is one of the BEST books on Christian living I have ever read! I would use this with new Christians and mature alike. Lysa has a wonderful and funny writing style that draws you in, engages you, and helps you apply God's Word to your own life.
4fabfelines Cox
Lisa's book is a honest heart to heart talk, like sitting with a good friend. This book has simple and profound truths through it all.
She i very transparent about her own life and shortcomings and gives clear and real answers that worked for her and will for you too.
I recommend this book for anyone who struggles in daily life as a Christian.
Certain chapters really stand out and shine:
When I don't feel like i measure up..
She likes me, she likes me not..
And the bet I think: I want what she has..
V...more
Lisa
Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl is great for new Christians or those who do not have a deep relationship with Christ. The book hits on things that Lysa has went through herself. Many of the stories from her life are funny; however, I prefer books with a little more meat. So if you are looking for spiritual milk this is a great book, but if you are looking for real food, you may want to look for a different Bible study.
Kimberly
We read this in a Bible study group over this past summer. I really enjoy Lysa's writing style. She seems like someone you could just sit and talk with over coffee without feeling judged. This book was very challenging at times, but I believe that was the point. To push readers outside their comfort zones ... to become more.

Looking forward to the next study we do with Lysa's material.
Mandy Cooley
I read this book as a part of a Bible study at my church. Lysa does a great job of talking to her audience through her writing - her style is so natural. I enjoyed her honest reflection on the life she has lived and the very practical perspective she offers readers about how to live like the Bible is a fundamental part of your spiritual life. This book inspired me to say yes!
Amanda
A pretty good, light study. I did the book along with the study guide and video series. The topics weren't always light, but it wasn't very heavy on Bible study. I like how she encouraged you to be more than a good Bible study girl by taking what you learn from the Bible and applying it to your everyday, common life. She explained that the common day is where we are trained and molded.
Vicky
I loved every page of this book. She's funny, and she's real. She knows God as her Father and wants others to know Him like she does. I bought it and will re-read it many times.
Becky
So inspiring! Lysa encourages me to not settle for good enough, but to seek after a relationship with God with all my heart. It is rather scary, but so much more fulfilling than religion. Lysa's testimony is a blessing to those of us who still feel inadequate to perceived expectation. Don't just read the Bible, study it for spiritual sustenance - "O taste and see..."
Katrina
Lysa has a very easy writing style. I feel like her friend, she writes to women not about women. She uses this book to convey her love of Christ and has great advice for women stuggling with everyday issues. Lysa's blog is one of my favoirites, she holds nothing back she is always very honest. I am excited about her next book Made to Crave.
Pilar
This book will stay with me forever. The last chapter was right on time and gave me immediate answers to questions I had about hearing from God. The last couple of paragraphs had me in tears as Lysa vividly captures the moment we all look forward to. So glad I picked this up and will be spreading the love with friends.
Helen
Studied this book with an amazing group of moms last year. Loved Lysa's writing style, and the way she truly challenged us/me to seek the Lord in the daily tasks of life. She weaves in Scripture through each and every chapter, the true source of wisdom. Worth reading and re-reading.
Crystal Ivy
I'm learning so much from this book. I have to keep myself from reading ahead so I don't get confused at Bible study.

I finished this book this week. I've already gifted a copy to my sister in law. It's such a personal book and it speaks wonderfully to women.
Tara
I just completed this book with my neighborhood Bible study. Everyone loved it! Lysa is so authentic and always leads us back to the Word. There is something for everyone in this book no matter what season of life that you are in. an excellent read for every woman.
Mary
I read this for a bible study at my church. It was VERY good. Her stories make the book an easy read and with many lessons. Two big takeaways: we need to read and breakdown the bible for ourselves, and it's more important to ask God "what" than "why".
Courtney
I loved this book also. I had to order more books from her because she seems like she is struggling through the same things, and is there for support. I am learning so much from this author that I have been searching for years!
Michelle Walker
I really enjoyed this. I loved her style of writing...almost as if you were sitting together at a coffee shop. Her voice was honest, humorous and "real". I have read other books by Lysa, and this is one of my favorites!
This is in my top two studies I have ever done. Love, love, love,
It is a must read. There is no words for a review. It is a must read, a live it as you read it, hear God speak to you, and take it w/ you through life.
Laura Holson
An easy to read book but one that has left me convicted that I am not where I want to be in my relationship with my God. Left me wanting more...more of the conversation with Lysa and more from my relationship with God.
  • One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark
  • Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Anything: The Prayer That Unlocked My God and My Soul
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • You're Already Amazing: Embracing Who You Are, Becoming All God Created You to Be
  • Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life
  • Beautiful in God's Eyes
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be: A 90-Day Guide to Living the Proverbs 31 Life
  • Let. It. Go.: How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith
  • So Long, Insecurity: You've Been A Bad Friend To Us
  • Lord, I Want to Know You: A Devotional Study on the Names of God
Lysa TerKeurst is a New York Times bestselling author and speaker who helps everyday women live an adventure of faith through following Jesus Christ. As president of Proverbs 31 Ministries, Lysa has led thousands to make their walk with God an invigorating journey. For over 15 years, her message has enabled women to:

Make the Bible come alive whenever you read it.
Discover how to develop inner peace...more
More about Lysa TerKeurst...
Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways Craving God A 21-day Devotional Challenge to Accompany Made To Crave Made to Crave Devotional: 60 Days to Craving God, Not Food

“Not reaching back for what was lost in my yesterdays. And not reaching for what I hope will be in my tomorrow. But living fully with what is right in front of me. And truly seeing the gift of this moment.” 25 likes
“Instead of always looking to get fulfillment from my loved ones and the other blessings in my life, I can simply enjoy them for what they are.” 16 likes