Start by marking “Babushka: An Old Russian Folktale” as Want to Read:
Babushka: An Old Russian Folktale

Babushka: An Old Russian Folktale

Retells the traditional tale of the old lady who, having missed her chance to take gifts to the newborn Christ Child, still wanders leaving gifts for all children in hopes that, one day, she will come upon Him.
Published July 1st 1988 by Holiday House (first published September 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Babushka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babushka

Jul 02, 2011 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, holidays
Intriguing! This story of an old woman eternally searching for the Christ Child whom she passed up the opportunity to see at the nativity is new to me, and apparently subject to debate. The cover claims it is a "Russian folktale" but Russian reviewers are unfamiliar with it and suggest it is Polish or perhaps made up by Mikolaycak. I'm more inclined to believe the doubters as the story didn't seem to quite work for me, but that may be a flaw in the retelling.

A woman called Babushka (although sh
Smilla's Sister
Nov 21, 2010 Smilla's Sister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you all people, but there is NO Russian legend or fairy tale about this Babushka character. Mr. Charles Mikolaycak is a great storyteller and I salute him for coming up with this adorable literary tale, but there isn't a single grain of Russian tradition behind it. I'm native Russian with background in folklore and religious studies and there's nothing anywhere near this tale in the whole body of Russian Christian mythology.

The author's surname is Polish which m
I won't get into the discussion if this is or isn't a tale from Russian folklore, but I am interested enough in that aspect to do further research on the subject.
What has always intrigued me about the story is the fact that Babushka is too busy and consumed with cleaning to lay that aside and follow the kings on their journey. Isn't folklore metaphorical and I always think about what are we too busy with in life to lay aside and devote our talents and energies to as what is the purpose of our li
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
The tale of a female “Santa” who missed her chance to follow the wise men and then has a change of heart and spends her life searching for the child king and leaving toys for children as gifts along the way.
Sep 22, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently discovered this artist because we have amazing first edition copies of Madeleine L'Engle novels with his cover art at the library. He's such a stunning illustrator!
May 13, 2013 Alla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Beautiful book! The story is intriguing and unique, but not Russian. I picked the book in a library being drawn to illustrations and curious about a story behind a young woman being called Babushka (grandmother). Glad I read the book, it was a interesting and the illustrations are wonderful. However, I doubt my children and I will want to read it again as I wasn't expecting to find a story about Jesus, don't link it to Russian culture and didn't find story very moving.
For some reason I confuse Babushka with Baba Yaga, even though I know they're not the same thing. I thought this was a interesting story about a woman who is visited by the Three Wise Men on their way to meet the Christ child. She spends her whole life looking for the child, and leaves behind "the scent of cinnamon and small candy or toy". Mostly I just love the gorgeous illustrations by Mikolaycak, who also illustrated my favorite version of "The Highwayman".
Sep 14, 2009 ABC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a based on a Russian folktales, I guess. A young woman meets the three wise men, but declines to go with them to see the Christ Child. She spends the rest of her life looking for them.

I didn't like how the first wise man was referred to the one with the turban, the second one was the one with the ribbons, but the third one was referred to by the color of his skin--the black man.
Sort of creepy story for little ones.
Kcarmack marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Yasmine marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Hailey White
Hailey White rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Cassie added it
May 05, 2016
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Jane Abrahams
Jane Abrahams marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Demnesa DeSavyok
Demnesa DeSavyok marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Grace rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Kit rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Krystal rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Serena marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Ortizarmandina marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Nevaeh Jones
Nevaeh Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Laurie Schnabel
Laurie Schnabel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Monica rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014