Babushka: An Old Russian Folktale

Babushka: An Old Russian Folktale

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Retells the traditional tale of the old lady who, having missed her chance to take gifts to the newborn Christ Child, still wanders leaving gifts for all children in hopes that, one day, she will come upon Him.
Published July 1st 1988 by Holiday House (first published September 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Babushka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babushka

Miriam
Intriguing! This story of an old woman eternally searching for the Christ Child whom she passed up the opportunity to see at the nativity is new to me, and apparently subject to debate. The cover claims it is a "Russian folktale" but Russian reviewers are unfamiliar with it and suggest it is Polish or perhaps made up by Mikolaycak. I'm more inclined to believe the doubters as the story didn't seem to quite work for me, but that may be a flaw in the retelling.

A woman called Babushka (although sh...more
Smilla's Sister
I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you all people, but there is NO Russian legend or fairy tale about this Babushka character. Mr. Charles Mikolaycak is a great storyteller and I salute him for coming up with this adorable literary tale, but there isn't a single grain of Russian tradition behind it. I'm native Russian with background in folklore and religious studies and there's nothing anywhere near this tale in the whole body of Russian Christian mythology.

The author's surname is Polish which m...more
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
The tale of a female “Santa” who missed her chance to follow the wise men and then has a change of heart and spends her life searching for the child king and leaving toys for children as gifts along the way.
Alla
Beautiful book! The story is intriguing and unique, but not Russian. I picked the book in a library being drawn to illustrations and curious about a story behind a young woman being called Babushka (grandmother). Glad I read the book, it was a interesting and the illustrations are wonderful. However, I doubt my children and I will want to read it again as I wasn't expecting to find a story about Jesus, don't link it to Russian culture and didn't find story very moving.
Rachel
For some reason I confuse Babushka with Baba Yaga, even though I know they're not the same thing. I thought this was a interesting story about a woman who is visited by the Three Wise Men on their way to meet the Christ child. She spends her whole life looking for the child, and leaves behind "the scent of cinnamon and small candy or toy". Mostly I just love the gorgeous illustrations by Mikolaycak, who also illustrated my favorite version of "The Highwayman".
Kirei
This is a based on a Russian folktales, I guess. A young woman meets the three wise men, but declines to go with them to see the Christ Child. She spends the rest of her life looking for them.

I didn't like how the first wise man was referred to the one with the turban, the second one was the one with the ribbons, but the third one was referred to by the color of his skin--the black man.
Alfajirikali
Sort of creepy story for little ones.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
S. Todd Strader
S. Todd Strader marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Mark Laforet
Mark Laforet marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Kathpooka
Kathpooka marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Joanna
Joanna added it
Mar 05, 2013
Andrea Fleming
Andrea Fleming marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2010
Orpheus Bearhead: A Russian Folktale Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5) The Legend Of The Christmas Rose Tam Lin