How Could She?

How Could She?

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A disturbing but ultimately uplifting story of a woman’s struggle to survive despite years of abuse at the hands of a paedophile ring — one that included her own mother. Despite her appalling childhood, Dana’s courage and determination shine through on every page.
Published April 3rd 2008 by Century

Rebecca Haslam
I have long been a fan of true life tales of survival against the odds and the most despicable crimes, and I was the same with this book. We complain so often about the trivial things in our lives that annoy us or get us down, but having read Dana's story of her family's cruellest of betrayals, I say that many such issues significantly pale in comparison.
To be abused by those a person is meant to be able to trust the most and for so long, from such a young age, Dana proves she is a far stronger...more
Dianne
An appalling story of childhood abuse involving three generations of a family. From the age of five Dana and her sister were subjected to sexual abuse orchestrated by her mother but also involving her grand-parents and various other adults. As an adult Dana had to overcome her feelings of degradation and with the help of her very supportive husband exposed her mother and the entire Edinburgh paedophile ring to the authorities.

The book was written with help as part of Dana's healing process.
Jenn
To think that there are people in this world who are truly repulsive and evil. And to think they could be related to you. They could even be your mother. Dana's mother deserves all the horrible days and nights she gets while spending her 12 year sentence in jail. I don't care if it's portrayed as how she herself was raised. How do you not know that gang rapes and sexual abuse with your child is wrong? How do you not have scruples or morals? How do you live with yourself? Hatred is what I felt wh...more
Lainy
Time Taken To Read - 1 day

Blurb From Goodreads

At just five years old, Dana Fowley learned that there was no one she could trust and nowhere she could escape to. She and her younger sister endured years of terrible abuse, subjected day after day to unimaginable attacks, and not only did their own mother do nothing to protect them, she willingly helped. Dana’s lifelong suffering was at last revealed in a high-profile court case when she bravely faced her demons.

My Review

I have read a few of these...more
David
Jul 10, 2012 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like autobiographies with happy outcomes
Dana Fowley is surprisingly a woman of standing, I say surprisingly because her childhood was one in which no adult let alone child should ever go through. Born in a rough area in Scotland, her ordeal began when she was 5 years - and her fear carried on into her adulthood. She took suicide attempts, she found she was diabetic, but she also found love. The love of her partner was something she couldn't get to grips with, as she battled to keep her past life secret. Eventually things came to a hea...more
Steve Mitchell
Jul 31, 2011 Steve Mitchell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steve by: Sandra Rush
The true story of one of the victims of a paedophile ring makes shocking reading. The story is a truly disturbing one that would be dismissed as unrealistic in a work of fiction. That the main instigator of the paedophile ring was actually the mother of the two abused girls is shocking enough, but that the girl’s father, step-father and grandparents all took part in the abuse is disturbing. That the girls finally raised the courage to testify against their mother and see her sent to prison for t...more
Karen Barron
I am a fan of these true life stories, think it has a lot to do with I went through abuse myself, To see how they survive and deal with the abuse and abuser is sometimes very inspirational, reading these books have helped me cope with my own past abuse
Hitomi Ferguson
So sad but a nice ending. I could relate to the mother daughter relationship between them. A quick read that brought me to tears.
Khim
Moeilijk om dit waargebeurde verhaal te beoordelen. Het verhaal opzich is zeer schokkend. Dana die sexueel misbruikt wordt door haar stiefvader, moeder, opa en oma en anderen. Sadistische sex spelletjes en andere mishandelingen moet Dana doormaken. Ook haar zusje Heather wordt niet gespaard. Dana heeft gemengde gevoelens wat betreft haar moeder. Het is een eerlijk verhaal en recht door zee. De schrijfstijl viel me een beetje tegen, maar Dana en haar zusje Heather zal ik niet snel vergeten. Dit v...more
♥MJ_Lover♥A7X_Lover♥ C.A.Anna♥Jimmy FoREVer
A heart renching novel! I will re-read this im sure of it but this novel has continued to haunt me! Such a sad and deeply touching story! I don't think I could ever read this without crying! I cried so many times, and honestly felt sick at some points.

I am glad this novel was written. Dana Fowley we thank you for being strong, even at times when it was the last thing you wanted to do! I am sure there are other people out there that thank you for making more people aware of such stuff.

5/5 for me...more
Helen
Shocking! Horrific! Disturbing! Inspirational! I don't usually tend to read the 'true' life stories but after reading an interview with Dana I was compelled to read her book. What I was pleased about was her skill at informing without self pity or in her words 'writing a paedophiles' handbook'. Considering her history she appears to have become a strong woman who can hold her head up for her family. I hope her book gives strength to others in similar situations. Hx
Shannon Gale
I was horrified at what Dana Fowley endured as a child. She is a strong woman who has fought a battle she didn't deserve. After a childhood of abuse she stood up for herself and her family and brought the people behind her torment to justice. I belive fully that she did the right thing and I commend her for not giving in and pushing forward. This book is a great read and I recomended it to all true story readers.
Amira Yusuf
اشتريته غلط عشان عجبني الصوره والاسم
المجتمعات المفتوحه والحريه المطلقه وعدم القدره على كبت الشهوات وعدم التربيه على كده من الاول هيا اللي بتتسبب في المعاناه دي
بس مأساه مش طبيعيه وفي بعض الاحيان كنت بقرف أكمل الروايه لكن شغفي لإني اعرف النهايه كان بيخليني اكمل
لكل اللي هيقرأ استعد لانك تواجه اسوأ أم وأحقر أشخاص في العالم
ومش هحرق الروايه بقا D:
Farhana Shaukat
Great book, incredibly evocative Memoir. I cried throughout. An easy to read book which leaves the reader wanting revenge on behalf of Dana and her young sister against their evil perpetrators, who subjected both sisters to unspeakable torture and a horrific childhood. Not a good read for anyone who can't stomache the realities of paedophilia!
Dymphie
Kinderen blijven loyaal, ook aan ouders die dat niet verdienen. Een treurig verhaal,van een auteur die toch vrij sterk in haar schoenen staat en gesteund wordt door een goede partner. Het dilemma en schuldgevoel is duidelijk, ze spint het wat lang uit op het einde.
Maar van een koude kachel kun je geen warmte verwachten.
Amanda O'Donnell
Linda
Just started reading this book, got to page 33 and have had to put it down to cry - How can anyone do such things to children - especially your own.
I will finish this book as I know the authoress bravely fights back and she deserves her story to be read - but it's not going to be an easy book to read.
Heavenlypeachgarden
This was a very hard book to read but it is wonderful in the fact that this author shares her terrbile story wiht others, and that she is so coragous that she has put her life back together, this story shows true sense of strength and spirirt and it makes me humble
Brianna
I could not take my eyes of this book. The things in it are horrifying and brutal. Amazingly written. A well written, strong book by a very strong author!
Sam
This book made me cry, a mother ruined her child's childhood, damaged her daughters in an appalling way.
Gina
amazing book only took 4 days to read even through the tears
Lizzie Bailey
horrible subject but well written. Couldn't put it down.
Sammie; X
Aug 08, 2010 Sammie; X marked it as to-read
can iread this book on here, am new to this,?
Tina Hogben
very emotional reading.
Nina
Nina added it
Jul 18, 2014
Kygikgyik
Kygikgyik marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014