Start by marking “400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary Of Essential Stitch Patterns” as Want to Read:
400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary Of Essential Stitch Patterns

400 Knitting Stitches: A Complete Dictionary Of Essential Stitch Patterns

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Whether you're a beginning knitter or advanced, whether your tastes range from simple knit-purl stitching to fancy Daisy or Moroccan screen, a dictionary of stitch patterns is indispensable!

Young knitters, old knitters, hip knitters, traditional knitters: they all enjoy different styles. But every knitter from age 5 to 95 needs a good dictionary of stitches. 400 Knitting
Paperback, 1st American Edition, 256 pages
Published November 17th 2009 by Potter Craft (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 400 Knitting Stitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 400 Knitting Stitches

Dina (ReviewTime)
400 Knitting Stitches is a good resource to have on hand for beginners and advanced knitters. Inside you will find patterns that cover the basics for beginners, intermediate patterns and advanced patterns for skilled knitters. Beginners will find the “Knitting Basics” section to very helpful. This section offers step by step instructions to teach beginners the basics. The tone is easy is to follow, yet remains informative. Also many of the patterns in the “Knit-Purl” section are designed for beg ...more
A.
A fairly comprehensive and fun collection of, like the title says, 400 Knitting Stitches, sorted into eight categories: 1) Knit-purl stitches, 2) Crossed stitches and cables, 3) Slipped stitches, 4) Lacy stitches, 5) Double stitches, 6) Twisted stitches, 7) Cast-off stitches, and 8) Fancy stitches; the bulk of the book's content is spread through the first four categories. A very little colorwork is included in the slipped stitches category, but otherwise colorwork - Fair Isle, intarsia, etc. - ...more
Nicole
I absolutely love this book. It is such a beautifully comprehensive reference. The pattern instructions are clearly written and a chart is included for every single one of them. This combined with a glossary in the back provides ample opportunity to learn to read charts besides being handy for experienced knitters. I cannot overstate how much I love this book.
Marilyn
I have a 40 year old book with 100 different patterns. I LOVE that book. Unfortunately, it is out of print. This is the 2nd best similar book I have found. IF you wish to learn LOTS of different stitch patterns this book will help you. AND you can take the squares you make, slip stitch them together, and create a unique afghan to show off your experience.
K Ryan
Fabulous dictionary on all the different knitting stitches. I was tempted to buy it, but kind of went off knitting for a while. Would be an excellent resource for the keen knitter.
Anna
Would like to own this book for my reference library:)
Marcia
Excellent selection of stitches enhanced by detailed colored photos. Only drawback is that it is not spiral bound; and because of narrow inner margins which would cut off some text, it cannot be rebound at Staples.

Marking this book as read for Goodreads purposes; however, it will be opened many more times to discover new stitches.
♥ Caitlin
The book has good organization. Many of the stitches are basic and there are patterns that are just reflections of each other. This isgreat for those who want to understand how those stitch patterns are constructed. However, those who are looking for advanced stitch patterns may not like the choice of patterns.
Shari Henry
Amazing, thorough, as-advertised. I've checked this book out from the library twice for three weeks each. It's still not enough time. This title is now on my Must Own list (a very short list because I am a public librarian and have very little need to purchase, and less room to store, books). Enough said.
Ali
This book has the lovliest of photos depicting each stitch accompanied by the instructions. It'a great book for self designing. As mentioned before in comments, it doesn't have an index. One industrious commentor made her own. Now that's committment! I love the many cable stitches!
Michelle
Tons of beautiful stitches, all worked in the same ivory colored yarn, with both written instructions and graphs! There are lots of cables and textures. Be warned: there is no index. I typed up my own, but it's kind silly to publish a stitch dictionary with no index.
Leigh
The instructions are clear and the photography is vibrant and seductive—it makes you want to knit. The book itself is a good size for handling while knitting. I have other stitchonaries, but I will consider adding this one to my personal craft book library.
Jill McKibben
This is so much as a book to read but rather one to reference. I like it so much, I ordered a used copy from an Amazon seller and will add it to my knitting library.
Shawna
This is one to own! How can a person go wrong with this many stitches? The possibilities for custom garments, bags, accessories, etc. is endless with a book like this.

note to self: buy this book!
Janeen K
A wonderful resource book of knitting stitches, small but good photo's of each design.
Jams
I can't tell you how helpful this stitch guide has been to my knitting.
Katie Smolkovich
Not very good for beginners...pretty to look at, but confusing.
Martha
Sep 20, 2010 Martha added it
charts could be bigger; great photos
Kathryn
Inspirational for a fledgling knitter.
Jillian Leader
Jillian Leader marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Kylie Lord Ervine
Kylie Lord Ervine marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Stephanie V
Stephanie V marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Nahid
Nahid marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Scarf Style
  • Knitwear Design Workshop: A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
Marie Claire idées - 400 Breisteken 250 Borduursteken Marie-Claire Idées - Dierenknuffels Marie-Claire Idées - Knuffels om te haken of te breien Marie-Claire Idées - Poppenkleertjes 46