Start by marking “Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)

Mothstorm (Larklight #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,169 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
When a cry for help comes from the far reaches of space and a sinister cloud appears on the edge of the solar system, Art Mumby knows his holidays are over. But, travelling in a warship towards uncharted space, closely followed by the ruthless pirate Jack Havock, Art has no idea what terrible dark forces lie in wait.
Published 2009 by Bloomsbury (first published October 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mothstorm, please sign up.

The Shayne-Train it's about 416 pages. if you're asking what the actual story is about, why don't you just read the blurb or reviews?

Ann
Philip Reeve and David Wyatt are back for another incredible book!

I cannot express how much I love these books!
I am utterly impressed with Reeve’s detailed, personable characters that are consistent and yet allowed the room to grow. The characters in this series are so delightful and varied... I am always anxious for Art’s amusing and surprisingly insightful views on events, and Myrtle’s delightfully tedious social commentary and lady-like instructions.

Larklight, the first book in the series, b
Kathryn
Dec 08, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Larklight; all others, read "Larklight" first--and DO read it, please! It's so good!
Huzzah! Another adventure with Art, Myrtle and the Sophronia gang! ;-> I thought this was every bit as good as "Larklight." It brings back many of the same characters, and resolves a few plot threads begun in the earlier books, but mostly it's focused on a new adventure and Art must once again be a brave British boy and help save the Queen and the glorious British empire from a mysterious new force. I'm constantly impressed by the characterization, humor (wit!), adventure, even some romance a ...more
Kate
Mar 10, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably my least favorite of the Larklight books. One slightly annoying thing about the books was more evident in this. This is primarily a series about boys having adventures. This doesn't bother me, except that the corollary seems to be that girls don't have adventures. It's actually a mixed message. Charity does have adventures, but is also a fairly minor character who appears only in the third book (compared to Art, who narrates all three, or Jack who is an infamous and young pirate). There ...more
Jessica
Aug 23, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, steampunk
I love these books, and this one was no exception! The torrid, tragic tale of Jack and Myrtle's love continues, Art meets a girl who plays the harmonium even worse than Myrtle, giant moths attack Uranus-- Pardon me! I mean Georgium Sidus! A cure is found for the Venusian Tree Epidemic, and Sssilissa's origins are revealed!
Lynn
Today’s post is on “Mothstorm” by Philip Reeve, it is decorated throughout by David Wyatt and is the third in the Larklight series. It is 387 pages long and is published by Bloomsbury Publishing. The cover has Art Mumby, his sister Myrtle, the sky pirate Jack, and Charity Cruet looking ready for fun and adventure with a sky ship behind them and the planet Uranus… I mean Georgium Sidus. The intended reader is older children and tweens but anyone with a love of the classic pulp novel will love thi ...more
Dana Salman
Didn't even know this thing was out, but now I bought it and can't wait to read it. Unfortunately it's been a long time since I read Larklight and Starcross, and until I get the both of them and read them in order this is just gonna have to wait

*****

Meh. It wasn't as good as the previous two. It started out great, and I raced through it. But I read the last few chapters in a span of three days because I lost some interest-I think the story structure just sort of fell apart after awhile. The Moth
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
I've been waiting for this book for awhile - first waiting for it to be published, and then waiting for it in paperback. Finally I got tired of waiting, and nabbed it from the library so I could read it.

I've enjoyed the series a lot, and this book continues to boy's-own adventure tale with the touches of Victoriana Imperialism in the far reaches of space. This time, however, we are threatened by an external foe - the Mothstorm.

In this entry, I enjoyed the bits that Myrtle narrated more than Art'
Becky
Mar 11, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reeve, Philip. 2008. Mothstorm: The Horror from Beyond Uranus Georgium Sidus. Or A Tale of Two Shapers. A Rattling Yarn of Danger, Dastardy and Derring-Do upon the Far Frontiers of British Space. With illustrations by David Wyatt. Bloomsbury.

First paragraph:
'Dunderhead!'
'Clodpole!'
'Ninnyhammer!'
'Booby!'
'Nitwit!'
Yes, 'twas the season of Peace and Goodwill at Larklight, and my sister Myrtle and I, snug in our fleece-lined, winter-weight spacesuits, were out upon the front porch, decorating
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas is fast approaching, and the Mumbys anticipate a boisterous holiday full of friends and good food. Unfortunately, the holidays are rather spoiled by a beastly little man and his news that something sinister is lurking at the limits of Known Space. So in the Spirit of Adventure, Art, Myrtle, and parents set off to discover the secret of the dark cloud at the edge of the universe, and perhaps the fate of a missionary and his daughter who were in the vicinity and have gone missing.

Mothsto
Nella
I can't help but adore this trilogy - it's just so insanely creative and visually stunning. Love it!

Full review - and a lot of fangirling - over here
Qt
I very much enjoyed this one, and it is possibly my favorite of the three Larklight books I've read. As always, I loved the humor and action and the entire Victorian/sci-fi setting--and the illustrations were perfect!
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Art and Myrtle are looking forward to Christmas on Larklight, their space ship home. They are expecting holiday visitors, space pirate Jack Havock and his merry crew. Like always, when the pirates arrive, adventure is not far behind.

The party is interrupted by a mysterious SOS signal from Georgium Sidus (Uranus), a message from the only two humans known to live there, a missionary named Rev. Cruet and his daughter Charity. The message says, “Great danger - imperative that - ” and then the messag
Madigan McGillicuddy
The third (and final?) installment in the Larklight series provides more of the fantastic steampunk Victorian sensibility made familiar to us in Larklight and Starcross. Honestly, this book could stand on it's own... but reading the first two in the series would be highly recommended. Some hilarious footnotes accompany the text, and as usual, David Wyatt's illustrations add much to the feel of the book. We are treated to a few of Myrtle's flowery diary pages, but Art is the main narrator.

It's Ch
Victoria
Dec 27, 2009 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun end novel to this trilogy, keeping the heart of the series to the end. Though it seems impossible, there is still more new material to be revealed and explored in this installment.

Art, his sister, and the rest of their family and friends are called once more to save the known solar system. Interrupted during Christmas, the Mumbys are informed of a strange, unidentified black cloud that is slowly encroaching on the solar system from beyond Uranus Georgium Sidus. At the same time, two Briton
Aaron
Jun 10, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siblings Art and Myrtle Mumby are back in a third adventure (after Larklight and Starcross) set in a space-aged Victorian adventure (think Steampunk) that further explores the history of their mother. It all starts on Christmas Day in 1851, and the whole family is settling down for dinner when they are visited by the crew of the Sophronia. The ship's captain, Jack Havock, and his crew are friends that have joined the Mumbys on their earlier adventures.

During the course of the holiday's festive r
Jack Baillot
Dec 11, 2012 Jack Baillot rated it it was amazing
I was scared and eager to begin this book. I loved the first two, but feared the ending would leave too much open, or not enough. I'd spent too much time with these wonderful characters to just say goodbye, especially if it was a shoddy goodbye.
I needn't have worried.

Everything about this book I loved, just as much as the first too. Art was still his wonderful, quirky, high daring self though with a bit more sense then before.

I adored Charity and believe she is the girl Art will end up marr
branewurms
Didn't like this as much as the others. Seemed to drag a bit, but more than that, I was bothered by the very mixed messages about gender roles, especially the bit with Myrtle teaching the Snilth about being ladylike.

I think - and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here, b/c it did not read like this - but I think Reeve was trying to say something the rules placed on women from both sides. Traditionalists expect women to be perfect ladies, whatever that means, but in the modern era there ar
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third, and I believe last, book in the Larklight series by Philip Reeve. This was an excellent book. Full of funny space travel, dangerous battles, and the wonderful characters that I loved from the first two books. I listened to this book on audio book, and it was very well done. You wouldn't have to read the first two books to enjoy this book, but the first two do add a lot of background story that would make parts of this book more meaningful.

A message about "Danger to the known w
Atomicgirl
Jul 19, 2008 Atomicgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****spoiler alert****

Lured by the strange transmission that warns of "great danger" and the appearance of a nebulous moving cloud, Art and Myrtle and family travel to the edge of the solar system. On the closest planet, Georgium Sidus, otherwise known as Uranus, they discover that the cloud is a swarm of huge intergalatic moths. With the entrance of these giant moths, come the threat of alien invasion.

This was a suprising fun and lighthearted steampunk novel. The copious footnotes added comic co
Maureen E
Mothstorm
by Philip Reeve
Another third book set in Victorian England, although a very different Victorian England than Lady Emily's, Mothstorm begins with the Mumby family intending to celebrate a quiet Christmas at home in Larklight with their friends. Unfortunately, a message of danger arrives and the whole gang promptly goes off to rescue the world (for the third time in a year). I always enjoy Arthur's very British Boy style, especially when interposed with Myrtle's journal entries. Apparen
Kate
Mar 20, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-kids-books
Our family took a road trip to visit family for spring break, so that meant audio books, which meant the final book in the Larklight trilogy: Mothstorm.

These novels are engaging and fun, but I think even more so when listened to, at least when Greg Steinbruner is reading. He has created unique and delightful voices for all of the characters, and truly adds to the enjoyment of the story.
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

This is definitely a boy's kind of book. Annoying sister, ineffectual mother, adventure and pirates and a strong father figure. Sadly, I read this to my 9 year old daughter and we both couldn't enjoy it since the female characters were either nasty or milquetoast. That was especially frustrating considering the secrets behind the main character's mother. It gets worse in further novels.

I rate it four stars for being soli
Zen Cho
Oct 11, 2009 Zen Cho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, victorian, kidslit
Good fun, as usual, and David Wyatt's drawings always charm, but I wasn't as enchanted as I was with Larklight. It's pretty unquestioning about the whole Empire thing -- I know it mocks that particular idea of Britishness, but it doesn't really go far enough. This made it difficult for me to really sink into it.

Predictable race and gender fail -- comparatively mild, but present. E.g. why should Richard Burton have led the group when they crashed on Georgium Sidus, rather than Ulla? I also raised
Rachel
May 30, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and it was so much better than Starcross. This had the non-stop adventure of Larklight and yet there was more because of David Wyatt's brilliant illustrations. He really helped make the characters come alive. This time the Mumby family is interrupted during their Christmas time by a help message from an old school chum of Mr. Mumby's. It is coming from Uranus, whose proper name is Georgium Sidus. When the Mumbys and later the Sophronia's crew goes to investigate, they find a worl ...more
Julia
Mar 07, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gooseyness
I enjoy a good story that doesn't take itself seriously. There are so many books out there with so much heavy drama, and doom & gloom. Well, actually Mothstorm like the first two books in the series by Philip Reeve, Starcross and Larklight, has plenty of drama too: with the planning of a Daring Rescue, various space battles from one end of the solar system to the other, encounters with all the strange aliens and creatures like the mermaids from Uranus , I mean Georgium Sidus, the pudding ...more
Cheryl
Nov 14, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Larklight series is three, very fun stories about the members of the Mumby family and the heroic friends they make. There is silliness, adventure, heroics, and a bit of romance. Taking place in the middle of the 1800's, life is very altered from the way we know. Outer space is inhabitable by humans and a vast number of very creative alien forms. Creatures such as giant space spiders, moobs, pudding worms, aether fish, a Thunderhead, Shapers, and Snilth, to name a few. Sailing ships are prop
Ken Fredette
Mar 28, 2014 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this real quick for my grandson. It's the third book of a trilogy. it's nice but you can tell who its written for. Gave it 4 stars for an enjoyable evening. Gotta keep him reading.
Alicia
Jul 13, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ripping finale (?) to the Larklight books, just as clever, funny, imaginative, and packed with Victorian steampunk action as its precedessors, Larklight and Starcross. This time, Art, Myrtle, their parents, Jack Havock and the pirates of the Sophronia, and a cast of many other returning characters battle their greatest challenge yet. A mysterious cloud is approaching from the dark beyond past the edge of the solar system, and even the ancient and wise Mrs. Mumby doesn't know what it is. Anothe ...more
Amanda Northrup
Jul 14, 2014 Amanda Northrup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teamchallenge3
I LOVED this trilogy and I'm so sad that it's over. Once again, Philip Reeve brought us a tale of daring space adventure, alien battles, and piratey rescues. This one didn't have quite as much humor, but was still a fun adventure.
Kirsten
Another cracking good read in the series that began with Larklight and continued in Starcross.

Art and Myrtle Mumby are ready for a peaceful Christmas with their family and with Jack Havoc and the rest of his valorous crew. Alas, a distress call from Georgium Sidus (known in less polite circles as "Uranus") sends the Mumbys and several agents of the British Empire across the solar system once again. When they arrive at their destination, they are met with a brand new horror: gigantic space moths!
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Dead Gentleman
  • Walking Your Octopus: A Guidebook to the Domesticated Cephalopod
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams (Girl Genius, #4)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Flaming London
  • The Hollow Earth
  • Not Less Than Gods
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Flood and Fire (Raiders' Ransom, #2)
  • The Nine Pound Hammer (The Clockwork Dark, #1)
  • The Doom Magnetic! Trilogy
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un
More about Philip Reeve...

Larklight (3 books)
  • Larklight (Larklight, #1)
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)