Start by marking “Light from Heaven” as Want to Read:
Light from Heaven

Light from Heaven (Mitford Years #9)

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  10,087 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
All good things—even laughter and orange marmalade cake—must come to an end And in Light from Heaven, the long-anticipated final volume in the phenomenally successful Mitford Years series, Karon deftly ties up all the loose ends of Father Timothy Kavanagh’s deeply affecting life.

On a century-old valley farm where Father Tim and Cynthia are housesitting, there’s plenty to s
Hardcover, Large Print, 666 pages
Published April 25th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Light from Heaven, please sign up.

Norma I'm sorry, but the book "In the company of others" tells about his second trip to Ireland! In it he refers to the trip made to Ireland with his cousin…moreI'm sorry, but the book "In the company of others" tells about his second trip to Ireland! In it he refers to the trip made to Ireland with his cousin and his cousin's wife made 10 years earlier. That is the one that I am trying to find!(less)

Joy Gerbode
Feb 05, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow ... a new favorite poet (Wordsworth) and many new favorite moments. I absolutely LOVED this book (even more than some of the others) and I don't think I read it with the rest of the series many years ago. The wonders of God's love, the blessings of the Lenten season, all these have come home to me as "new" truths ... though I've known them for years. I feel a spiritual renewal beginning to work in my own life, and I'm loving it!
Gwen
Jan 09, 2013 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in this series. I am so very happy that I chose this book to end the year and begin the new one with. It was like being with a trusted friend. All of the characters in this series have been so very interesting and even over a period of a few years, you don't forget them. (Even if you can't remember where you put the car keys.) As I was nearing the end of the book, a friend called, or maybe I called her. She was in her car, driving in northern Michigan where she lives. She c ...more
Cindy
Mar 12, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-challenge
Lovely, warm story with characters that are like family - this is another excellent installment in the Mitford series. Just right for reading around the Easter season (or any time really). The story begins just before Easter when Father Tim is asked to get a small country church restarted. Tim and Cynthia are living on Meadowgate farm while the owners are away for a year when he's asked to be vicar at Holy Trinity, a small church tucked on the mountainside. There are new characters (Miss Agnes a ...more
Britt Griffith
Apr 09, 2009 Britt Griffith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the Mitford series
Shelves: fiction
The final book in the Mitford series was definitely the best. It was what I’d come to expect from Karon: good people you’d like to know from a small town going about their daily lives. This book found Father Tim and Cynthia living at Meadowgate Farm. His friend, Stuart, appointed him to be vicar of a small out-of-the-way church and allows him to meet several new people from that church. Heaven ends the series nicely, with Dooley taking Father Tim’s last name and finding out that he has inherited ...more
Melinda
Aug 27, 2012 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that this was the final book in the Mitford series, I was curious to discover how Karon would choose to conclude it. I thought that another change of setting for the Kavanaghs, Meadowgate Farms, as well as new, lively characters, the patrons of Holy Trinity, really refreshed the story. Father Tim's experiences there highlighted the infinite good that can come to those who choose to change their lives for the better. I enjoyed becoming acquainted with Agnes and Clarence Merton, the Mckinn ...more
Joyce
Jul 31, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Public library copy. This is #9 in the Mitford series, which I love, about the year Father Tim and Cynthia spent 'farm-sitting'.

While there were a few rough edges to this house-sitting setup, the story rang as true as ever for the Kavanagh clan. My favorites in this edition are Sammy Barlowe, his brother Dooley, and JC the Mitford Muse editor. There are many new characters in this book, many of whom are quite interesting, and it is jam packed with activity. More than one chapter produced tears.
Joy
Apr 05, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in a series of books about the life of priest in a small town--Mitford. I love the relaxing reassuring tone of these books. I come away uplifted and edified as well as entertained. The characters are my age, facing some of the same problems and joys I face. The values are my values. Prayer is a daily part of Father Kavanagh's life and when he is really serious about something he prays "the prayer that never fails"--Thy will not mine be done. What's not to like? There are a few I ...more
Krystal
Feb 17, 2009 Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books
Ahh!! I had forgotten how much I love Father Tim and the town of Mitford! The only problem was it has been some time sice I read the other books in the series that there were a few characters/events I could not quite remember clearly. I think I'll have to go back and reread them!! :-) I'm just sad that this is the last book in the series. I feel like I've lost some good friends. That's always the mark of a great book for me!
Hank Pharis
Jul 09, 2015 Hank Pharis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be the best of the 8 books in this series that I have read thus far. I think the reason this series is so popular is that it portrays life more like it ought to be. Mitford is not a perfect place and none of the characters are perfect. However things are so much better than they usually are that they touch our longings for this life to be better than it normally is.
Barbara
Jan 29, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the Mitford books and although they will never be considered "great" literature, I find them a refreshing read harking back to a simpler time and good down-to-earth people. Sort of makes you wish it could realy be that way.
Stephanie
Sep 13, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the latest from The Mitford Series. I love these books. I love the characters and the friendly "Mayberry" feel of the town. I love to get lost in the daily goings-on of the simple yet spiritual life of Father Cavanaugh.
Nicole
Dec 12, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this, we believed it was the last Mitford novel (thank goodness she changed her mind and has allowed us to visit in Mitford again!). I savored each and every word and took the journey with Father Tim. The whole series is a must read!
Mar 15, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-the-past
As Christian Fiction goes, I really liked this series. Jan Karon creates a town were life seems simpler, people seem friendlier. Every time I read one, it made me long for the same in my life.
E.A. Lawrence
Nov 26, 2016 E.A. Lawrence rated it really liked it
Another beautiful entry in the Mitford saga filled with love, loss, abiding faith, and forgiveness. And lots of food.
Winter Sophia Rose
Adventure, Love, Laughter, Tears & Fulfilling! An Excellent Light & Peaceful Series! I Loved It...Book After Book After Book!
Rosanne
Dec 30, 2014 Rosanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gentle-reads
I enjoy these books, and I am excited to read Jan Karon's latest book.
Claudia Cheyne
Feb 05, 2017 Claudia Cheyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to amaze me with each book I read. Father Tim and Cynthia move out to Meadowgate Farm while their friends the Owens' are away. This setting takes them out of Mitford, but still close enough to stay in touch with people who have been a part of the story. The bishop assigns Timothy to be vicar of a tiny church in the mountains called Holy Trinity. Now we meet new characters - strong, independent folks who make up this country congregation. Sammy comes to live with the Kavanag ...more
Debbie Desgrange
Feb 04, 2017 Debbie Desgrange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never found quotes in a book that I really wanted to write down and keep to refer to again and again - until now. I love the writing style - it's broken into little segments - sometimes I get lost and don't really know who's talking, but then later I figure it out. Love how she shows God in people's lives without slapping you in the face with it! That's how God is! I've learned a few new words and acronyms! Ha! I now know what an OCM is! Look forward to reading more about Father Tim Kavan ...more
Mary Lou
Feb 16, 2017 Mary Lou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Apostrophes, poetry, Bible quotes - too much!
Diana
Feb 12, 2017 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series! Reading it for the second time in a decade.
Barb Bethea
Feb 18, 2017 Barb Bethea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the Mitford books are feel good reads. Especially since I'm Episcopal.
Kelly
Feb 13, 2017 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how God calls Tim to some challenges and how neat things happen to lots of people.
Linda Noel
Dec 24, 2016 Linda Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like thise books. They are sweet and fun and also sometimes inspiring.
Vicky Lee
Oct 17, 2016 Vicky Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy the series books of Mitford.
Lisa
One of the better entries in this lovely series.
Steven
I enjoyed this book, but had previously read only a sequel--of sorts--and had not read the eight previous Mitford novels. I was not often lost, but knew this would mean more if I had read them in order. Still, there is some great stuff here. (Just go in order.)
Poiema
Oct 14, 2008 Poiema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan Karon's Mitford series is my "dessert" reading. The Christmas break afforded me the opportunity to savor the last chapter of the final book in the series, Light from Heaven. It turns out the timing of my reading was perfect, since the book closes with a Christmas celebration.

If you like a White Christmas, there is a decided advantage to stepping in on the Mitford celebration. You can enjoy the snow without shoveling it or driving in it!

"The snow was falling thick and fast by the time they tu
Jackie
Sep 28, 2016 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
So far, this is probably my favorite of the Mitford Series with Father Timothy Kavanaugh and his wife, Cynthia and now their son, Dooley. I can't wait until the next book.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the ninth and last of Jan Karon's 'Mitford' series about the American Episcopal priest Father Tim and his delightful wife Cynthia. In this novel, Tim and Cynthia spend a year at their friends' farm, Meadowgate, while their friends are away. It's not far from Mitford, so Tim (and we, the readers!) manage to keep up with news of old friends. But Tim also gets asked to take on a new job: to re-start a regular service at a small church in the mountains. There he meets the wonderful Agnes - a ...more
Elaine
Apr 16, 2009 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Who shows up 1 1 Jan 24, 2016 03:21PM
  • Almost Friends (Harmony, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught
  • A Can of Peas
  • Changes at Fairacre (Fairacre, #18)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #11)

“If thou indeed derive thy light from Heaven, Then, to the measure of that heaven-born light, Shine, Poet! In thy place, and be content. . . —WILLIAM WORDSWORTH” 2 likes
“him.You are good, O God, and You are faithful. Tenderize and soften our Lenten hearts, we pray, lest they grow brittle and break.” 2 likes