Start by marking “Thinking Write: The Secret to Freeing Your Creative Mind” as Want to Read:
Thinking Write: The Secret to Freeing Your Creative Mind

Thinking Write: The Secret to Freeing Your Creative Mind

"Writer's block.
Creative freeze.
Artistic burnout."In this book, professional counselor Kelly L. Stone teaches you how to use the power of the subconscious mind to capitalize on your writing sessions. Proven techniques for accessing this hidden tool are revealed with a mix of anecdotes, exercises, and guided meditations. You will hear from well-known and award-winning auth
Published October 18th 2009 by Adams Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Write

Rebecca N. McKinnon
Non-spoiler summary in one sentence: A self-help book geared toward wanna-be writers spouting advice for creative productivity based on pseudo-psychological science.

Initial thoughts: I bought this one on a whim and have been reading it on and off for years. I was initially intrigued by the sample I read in the bookstore and had high hopes the rest of the book would be just as intriguing.

Genre(s) IMHO: Nonfiction, self-help, psychology

Writing style: So-so.

Conclusion: What this book has going fo
Kit
Jan 04, 2012 Kit rated it really liked it
When I first saw Thinking Write on a shelf in the Augusta, Maine Barnes and Noble, I was struck by the descriptive phrase on its cover: “the secret to freeing your creative mind”. Also on the cover was a birdcage with a typewriter nestled inside it with the cage door wide open. I think something about this image struck a cord with me - the idea of freedom, expression, and creativity and the thought of achieving these wonderful things. This book is helping me do just that.

The author, Kelly L. Sto
Willis
Aug 29, 2011 Willis rated it really liked it
Kelly Stone wrote an interesting book on practical ways to try and tap in to the subconscious mind for creative purposes. She does a good job of giving a small discussion on the 3 parts of the mind and what the function of each is. Most of the book is spent on ways that writers (or any creative persons for that matter) can access the vast storehouse of information and observations that the subconscious mind holds. Most of the methods are relaxation techniques, akin to meditation and self-hypnosi ...more
Stephanie Lawton
Feb 12, 2013 Stephanie Lawton rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I needed to jumpstart my stalled writing. I've heard the author speak twice to regional writing groups, and I'm so glad I finally picked up THINKING WRITE. Start to finish, it's filled with ways to get creative and tap into your subconscious (your muse) to get the solutions you need to writing issues. Additionally, many of the techniques she teaches can be applied to other aspects of your life, not just writing.

My only small complaint is that some of the sections, esp
Sean Huff
Nov 02, 2010 Sean Huff rated it really liked it
This book was very informative and inspiring for me. Kelly Stone offers plenty of advice for aspiring writers including ways to meditate for creativity, methods for getting into a productive state of mind and provisions of wisdom from other successful authors. The techniques discussed in the book have helped me get through writer's block and have stimulated my imagination beyond any other self-help book I've read thus far. The things I learned from this book were well worth the price I paid for ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 19, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
The author sets forth that writing originates in the sub-concious mind. The book discusses the different level of awareness in the mind and ways to reach each. Relaxation techniques are suggested. as well as a CD-ROM. Tips for overcoming writer's block are provided.
Rosalind M
Dec 09, 2009 Rosalind M rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
Some of the tips will be repetitive to anyone with a collection of writer's references, but THINKING WRITE does offer some good advice on how to tap into your subconscious mind and why that's important to your creativity.
Garrett Dunnington
Very weak method. Didn't get a lot out of it. It taught nothing I didn't already know.
Anita Agers-Brooks
Nov 25, 2012 Anita Agers-Brooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write
Shelves: writing-books
Interesting and different ways to inspire yourself to get busy and write that book!
Vmichelle Skinner
Jan 23, 2011 Vmichelle Skinner rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Love the non-linear approach to using other parts of your mind to stir up some inspiration.
Tinkerbell
Tinkerbell rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Laura McClellan
Laura McClellan rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Jam Mayer
Jam Mayer rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Vernieda
Vernieda rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2010
David Celis
David Celis rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Elisabeth Kinsey
Elisabeth Kinsey rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2010
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2010
Zack Shoemaker
Zack Shoemaker rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2014
Mj
Mj rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Christopher Ty
Christopher Ty rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Paula Hardin
Paula Hardin rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2011
Cass
Cass rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Rakesh Pandey
Rakesh Pandey rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Allyn
Allyn rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013