Start by marking “Jesus & Muhammed: Profound Differences and Surprising Similarities” as Want to Read:
Jesus & Muhammed: Profound Differences and Surprising Similarities

Jesus & Muhammed: Profound Differences and Surprising Similarities

Finally, the truth...about Jesus and Muhammad This provocative book presents a factual analysis of the two most influential men of all time-Jesus, the founder of Christianity, with 2 billion adherents, and Muhammad, the founder of Islam, with 1.3 billion followers. Dr. Mark A. Gabriel allows you to walk side by side with Jesus and Muhammad from their births to their deaths ...more
Published April 27th 2004 by Charisma House (first published February 29th 2004)

Greg
Aug 13, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing
Plain and simple, If your going to go into this book expecting something, you have already failed. Open your mind, take no criticism to what you read, and use this as the journey of One mans travel through faith and Religion, something the world has lost its ability to see is two different things completely.
Read the introduction so you can understand why this mans Journey started, and read the conclusion to see why its where its at. I am a man looking for Truth in Life. I believe in Jesus witho
Rufat
Sep 22, 2011 Rufat rated it did not like it
Very misleading title and introduction - it is extremely biased and un-scholarly.

The way the book is written makes me wonder about the author's PhD credentials. This does not read like a scholarly research, but as a guidance for missionaries about ways to sow doubts about Islam, while glossing over any imperfections in Christianity.

Muslims killed four million Egyptians when taking over the country the author says in one sentence and switches to another topic. Any evidence of this? Is this how Ar
Rod
Mar 27, 2010 Rod rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics, islam
I read this book really fast. (3 days). It really had my attention.
I wish every Muslim would read this book. They don't have to believe its content right away - but it will give them some areas to start researching Islam and Christianity.

I think this book is way too short. To fully explore this topic you would need another 10,000 pages. But then the price would go up.

I will sum this book up:
Jesus was very nice
Muhammad was nasty

The End.
Kelli
Jan 09, 2011 Kelli rated it it was ok
Mr. Gabriel brings up some very good criticisms of some Muslim cultures--they are very threatened by Christians in their midst and resort to violence to protect their way of life.

However, after reading the Quran, it is clear that some of his claims--such as the idea that Muhammad advocated violence--are not a product of the faith itself but of some of its misguided followers.
Christopher
Feb 11, 2008 Christopher rated it liked it
Recommends it for: a frog
this book should be titled:
'why jesus is superior to muhammad in every way: one man's spiritual journey', had that been the title i may have given it four stars instead.
this book is written by a very intelligent former Muslim. as a child this man had memorized the entire koran!
this book documents his life as a muslim and his conversion to Christianity.
The book was fascinating and i read it in only a few sittings. It was full of interesting information both about Muhammad and Islamic society, pa
Najwa Ghosn
Apr 21, 2013 Najwa Ghosn rated it really liked it
I loved the book! I think the author put some very important issues on the tabe of discussion according to the most 2 important and influencial persons in the history of humanity, he took passages from their books and he took their lives as the evidence of what they were preaching.... He resumed it with a few specific issues which I presume they were his most troubled ones. He wrote this personal research through his own spiritual struggle which makes it legitimate.
Bee
Jan 07, 2017 Bee rated it really liked it
Out of interest I read the bible and I read the Quran as well. Then I stumbled upon this book in the library and gave it a go.

All in all I think it does a fair job of representing the person of Jesus and Muhammad, not their followers, not the faith based on it, not the actions of (their) god, but just the figures as described in their holy texts. Sometimes you have to weed out the authors own preference though, which is quite obvious.

I also thought he left out some information, for ex letters b
Erika
Aug 18, 2014 Erika rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
An immature view...written by a person who suffered and left his roots without time to go deeper and reconcile and find his way within his own faith community. Time will tell.

It reminds me of other conversion stories of immature suffering people (J.-M. E. Setbon) who need to grow and then they something good and new, but do not see or find Guidance, nor enough of the light available in their own tradition. Gratitude for our Roots is essential to our maturing process.

The reason I read it is that
Sarah Sherwood
Mar 05, 2014 Sarah Sherwood rated it did not like it
This one was tough for me to rate as at first I was quite intrigued about Mark A. Gabriel's experiences and why he converted to Christianity but as the book went on I found it to be repetitive with it's most crucial points. He also uses wayyyy too many excerpts from Hadith's instead of focusing on the Qur'an. A lot of Hadith's come hundreds of years after Muhammad and his teachings and are proven to be not totally reliable. I'd have to say from what I've read, Gabriel is blatantly trying to give ...more
BDC
Jun 25, 2014 BDC rated it really liked it
Fascinating book. This book does two things. First, It tells the story of an Egyptian Muslim scholar (taught at prestigious Islamic university) who came to meet Jesus in the New Testament. Second, he attempts to show us what he experienced when he first read the Gospels and 'saw' Jesus side by side with Muhammed. He starts his book by telling the reader if they want to understand Islam and Christianity they must look at their 'founders.' This is a very good resource for anyone who is trying to l ...more
Barbara
Jul 18, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
After being brought up as a devout and learned Muslim, the author began to look at the teachings of Jesus and compare him with Muhammed's while a professor at the most prestigious Islamic university in the world (Al-Azhar University in Cairo).

Researched and referenced throughout, Gabriel dissects the lives, teachings, claims, deaths, and followers of each, then explores the impact from a world perspective as well as his own personal journey of discovery. I found it to be objective, very informa
Aug 04, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: evangelism
Although written by a Christian, this book gave me a really wonderful appreciation for devout Muslims' beliefs, and most especially for the need to pray that Christians will share the gospel winsomely with Muslims. The author's testimony is really compelling. I think I need this book as a reference book on our bookshelf!
J
May 20, 2009 J rated it liked it
This book doesn't really stand alone, but makes inspires one to re-read the Quran and New Testament. *Or it should, I wouldn't take Dr. Gabriel's words at face value.
Thomas
Dec 11, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: special-interest
Interesting as a historical comparison of the two religions, but his understanding of Christian theology leaves a lot to be desired.
Woojin
Jun 18, 2013 Woojin rated it liked it
For a Christian who knows next to nothing about the history and teachings of Islam, this book provided a relatively smooth transition into the subject. The author has unique perspectives on both figures, since he has exposure to and practice in both religions (grew up as a devout Muslim, earned a doctorate in Islamic studies and taught at Al-Azhar University, but later became a practicing Christian with a master's in world religion and a PhD in Christian education). His personal story and his si ...more
Julio Rivera
Mark Gabriel outlines his experience as he defects from his native religion of Islam, instead turning to Christianity. His personally story is quite frightening, as he discusses abuses he suffered after, once being a minister and teacher of his old religion, turning away from Islam. His book goes on to compare and contrast the polarizing figures of Christianity's Jesus, and Islam's Muhammed. This book is recommended for those looking to obtain one individual's ideas of Islam in comparison to Chr ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
loved the book. this is the first time I read a very well searched and written book about the Muslim faith compared to the Christian faith. I can tell this ex Muslim still had a lot of love for the Muslims yet at the same time wants to really convince, testify, witness to those he knows so well. what a difficult position he must be in. I pray for the man's safety and yet I praise the lord for his being in the kingdom of light now. the book is exceptional
Matthew
Feb 21, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This book opened my eyes to the similarities that span between Jesus, and Muhammed. However, what was even more impactful was how the differences between the two leaders shows up in their teachings. Gabriel does a great job of pointing to the facts. My favorite concept that he points to comes in the idea that we cannot judge a group based off the people that are in it. But we must judge the validity of that group by looking to their leader. Very cool and definitely a great read.
Alexa
Jun 12, 2008 Alexa rated it really liked it
A book that examines the history and lives of Muhammad and Jesus. Very thought research, clearly laid out and easy to understand. It has a distinct point of view, but I believe the research is fair and even handed.
Jeff
Jun 01, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it
In a world where there is more fear born from misunderstanding than love born from understanding one another, this book is a welcome invitation for Christians to understand the life of Muhammad as written by a former devout Muslim.
Dana
May 20, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Dana by: no one
Informative and Honest. Great book for anyone wanting to know more about what makes the east and west different. Also great for any non Muslims looking to find out more about Islam; this book is a great starting point.
April
Mar 18, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Dr. Mark Gabriel's conversion from Islam to Christianity. Written by a former professor of Islamic studies. Very clear and profound insights.
Lynn Lowrie
Jan 03, 2014 Lynn Lowrie rated it it was amazing
I know the Bible, but I don't know much about Islam. This book helps me to know some about Islam and why muslims behave the way they do.
Gordon Gauss
Feb 21, 2009 Gordon Gauss rated it really liked it
The similarities are surprising but the differences in these individuals is what separates their beliefs and their teachings. A good read if you want to know more about Christianity and Islam.
Eric WR
Jun 07, 2016 Eric WR rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-paper
Very informative either way you feel whether you are an apologists or someone who just wants to know more about the two.
David
Jan 21, 2015 David rated it liked it
One might accuse this of being surface-level analysis. Though I'm tempted to think that you don't have to dig very deep to see just how different Jesus and Muhammed are.
King David
Feb 12, 2008 King David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Truth Seeker
I found this book in the Biography section and brought it straight home. It is very uncommon for someone deep into Islamic teachings to give an unbiased view towards it.

And I'm not disappointed.
Caitlin
Feb 16, 2015 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book! I really want to read more on this subject and become more knowledgable about Muhammad. The author is truly inspiring and I really want to read more of his work!
Salvatore Cachia
Salvatore Cachia rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Angelica
Angelica rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2011
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • Three Views on the Rapture: Pre; Mid; or Post-Tribulation
  • The Life of Muhammad
  • Four Views on Divine Providence
  • The Divine Dance: If the World Is Your Stage, Who Are You Performing For?
  • Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
  • The Invisible Hand: Do All Things Really Work for Good (Paperback)
  • Womanly Dominion: More Than A Gentle and Quiet Spirit
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Four Views on Hell
  • Four Views on the Book of Revelation
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • Two Views on Women in Ministry
  • The Radical Question: What is Jesus Worth To You?
  • Light Force: A Stirring Account of the Church Caught in the Middle East Crossfire
  • Peace Be upon You: The Story of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish Coexistence
Dr. Mark Gabriel was born and raised in Egypt in an Islamic family. By the age of 12, Dr. Gabriel had the entire Quran memorized. He graduated from Al-Azhar University in Cairo and then became a professor of Islamic history at that university. He also served as the Imam (spiritual leader) of a mosque in Giza, where the pyramids are located.

In short, Dr. Gabriel was a highly prestigious figure in t
More about Mark A. Gabriel...