Start by marking “Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times” as Want to Read:
Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times

Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Thirty years after he burst onto the scene as a gold medal light-heavyweight at the Rome Olympics, Muhammad Ali is still a magical figure. His accomplishments in the ring were the stuff of legend -- the two fights with Sonny Liston, when he proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and proved he was; the three epic wars against Joe Frazier; the stunning victory over George Foreman ...more
Published June 15th 1992 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Muhammad Ali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muhammad Ali

Tariq Mahmood
It's lack of faith which makes people afraid of meeting challenges.

I bought the book in an attempt to understand Ali's influence on the Nation of Islam movement in the US. His role as a Muslim hero among the Muslim population outside US was never in question. Most non-US Muslims are not aware that Nation of Islam has its own prophets which is blasphemous notion among traditional Muslims.

Cassius Clay's conversion to Muhammad Ali is covered in great detail. The style does become cumbersome sometim
Moose
i came of age after ali's reign in the ring. so while i was always aware that he was a great man, it wasn't until i read this book that i finally learned how he completely revolutionized the boxing world and how he unflinchingly gave away his enormous fortune. this book is well written and combines numerous perspectives from those closest to ali (whether they wished him well or otherwise).
Aliya
Muhammad Ali is a legend, not only in America for being a great athlete and black leader, but also in the Muslim world and in Africa. This is so because his accomplishments were a source of pride for both groups in a post colonial world when Ali surfaced on the world stage.

Ali was once the most famous man currently alive, without a shadow of doubt. The younger global crowd may not know him today, but in his day, even the village folks in the Arab world knew him because his fights were shown on
Michael Obiora
My life is better for having read this book - and for me it doesn’t feel dramatic, and it doesn’t feel like an exaggeration when I read this sentence back and think about it. As I write this review I’m shaking with amazement. I was so engrossed by this biography of Muhammad Ali (akin to the way I felt when reading Nelson Mandela’s Long Walk To Freedom) that at times I forgot that with each page turn I was getting closer to reading about the demise of this incredible man’s health. Muhammed Ali is ...more
Glen
In the book Muhammad Ali, by Thomas Hauser, this book was said to be told for Muhammad Ali to show that he is not just a vicious boxer that will kick your butt in the ring, but to show the other side of Ali from a close friend of Muhammad, which is Thomas Hauser. Ali has been center stage of the ring for twenty years, or in other words he has been fighting in the ring for seven president terms. During this time only two people had won the heavy eeight champiinship if the world at a younger age. ...more
Mike
This is a good book about a great man, possibly the greatest of men. I'm a bit young to remember Muhammad Ali the boxer, though I recall one of his last fights, a travesty of entertainment that resembled nothing less than a magnificent career in the ring dying over the course of a single bout. My generation was that of Mike Tyson, a more terrifying fighter than Ali and a far more odious human being.

Hauser's chronicle does a very fine job of stating the significance of Ali, both in the ring and
Phayvanh
Aug 07, 2008 Phayvanh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historians
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library book sale
Finishing this book took much longer than other books I’d been reading recently, which is a testament to the density of material presented here. Though Thomas Hauser is listed as the author of this book, I’d argue that it’s co-written by everyone interviewed for this massive tome.

Hauser presents his narrative Studs Terkel style, often with lengthy monologues on his subject. The story is presented chronologically, with chapter titles such as “Origins” and “The Birth of Ali”. I enjoyed getting
Charmaine
One of the better autobiographies I have read. I knew of Muhammed's boxing acclaim, what I didn't know was with his limited education he was a genius at marketing and promoting himself. His generosity that comes from a pure place is truly inspiring.
Dominic Jukes

I bought this at an airport bookshop 5 years ago and finally got around to reading it. It takes an interesting approach to the subject by taking many quotes from the people present at the time and Ali himself. I felt that as a person he is clearly fascinating but the format often missed a chance for the author to link the comments a little more with background information. Some key people are not given a voice which is a shame for balance (Don King) for example. The story also finishes at a poi
Dylan Moucka
I bought this book off of amazon because this is the man who inspired me to be a boxer in the first place. When the book arrived i quickly started to glance at it. I wasn't exactly expecting it to be in a format where its different people telling Alis story including himself. The book doesn't exactly cover some of his earlier life that I hoped it would, but for the book itself its still a great read for anyone who likes seeing someone stand up for them self. Its also a great story for just the f ...more
John and Kris
I read this book in high school and thought that it was pretty solid. As an adult, I have mixed emotions on what I think of Ali as a man.

One thing I was never able to understand: why so few championship boxing matches each year? Of course, it’s a marginal tax rate issue. I can’t see how that went over my head at sixteen: “How Taxes Changed Boxing,” The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/ar...

Wright Thompson, ESPN, “Shadow Boxing: Muhammad Ali fought 50 men. Only one disappeared:”
http:/
Bart
This book is a comprehensive portrait of Muhammad Ali told through the words of a hundred or so authors. It is a unique and definitive way of recounting a life.

Still, it suffers from the self-assuredness of many of its speakers. Its subject should age better than his idolaters. A generation that imparted "trust no one over the age of thirty" now suffers the irony of its children's disbelief when - without much more than opinion, adulation and gratefulness - it offers a testimony that mostly redu
Ben
A very comprehensive, mulifaceted account of an inscrutable legend. The many first-person recollections make the book balanced, although some are a little tough to slog through. I'd heard of Ali, Liston, Patterson, Foreman, Holmes, Don King, etc. but the author turns them into fully fleshed characters. I also learned a lot about the Nation of Islam. My only complaint is I would have liked more about Cassius' early life and upbringing.
Justyna Chwiedczenia
Gdybym mogła, dałabym tej książce 100 gwiazdek. Najlepsza biografia jaką do tej pory czytałam...
Matt
I was a little wary of this book since it was an "authorized biography" and I thought it might gloss over some of the more unsavory episodes of Ali's life, but that was not the case at all. The author's extensive interviews with those around Ali painted a very complete picture of his life. It's written as kind of an oral history using direct quotes from many of the interviewees and it makes for a very enjoyable read.
Luqman
Excellent book and a comprehensive narrative of his life
Nelson
I picked up this book because he was one of my heroes, and by the time I finished it he became my greatest hero ever. I originally wanted to experience how confident he was going into a fight, and I discovered he is much more: he's loving, deeply religious, and generous. What celebrity allows people to enter his home whenever they liked? Very touching biography.

Emal
As a huge boxing fan and more importantly, a Muhammad Ali fan, I finished this book cover to cover within 2 days. I literally put it down only to sleep. You don't have to be a boxing fan in order to enjoy the book. I personally found the latter chapters about Ali's personal life after his boxing career to be far more interesting.
Dan Schreiber
This is about the life of Muhammad Ali. So far I learned about how Muhammad Ali became one of the best professional boxers of all time. Also, I learned about his lengendary rivalry with profesional boxer Joe Frazier. This Biography is keeping my interest because I like reading about peoples lives.
Troy Vistro
For those of you who might have grown up in the 80's and only remember Ali from second hand accounts, or when he was on Different Strokes. It is a great look at an athlete that transcended sport. His genuine charisma, confidence, and eloquence are only imitated (quite pitifully) by so many athletes today.
Nancy
This is a great book about Muhammad Ali's (Cassius Clay's) life from the start of his boxing career to his time now in Berrien Springs, MI. He is one of the greatest boxers ever (saw most of them closed circuit). He always supports peace & is one of the most charitable of people.
Ahmad Nazeri
Muhammad Ali is one of the most inspirational people. He gave so much of himself to his fans and those around him. While I learned a lot about Ali and was inspired to give more, I wish the book was more focused on his character outside the ring.
David Horney
this is an authorized biography that was intended to be a "warts and all" presentation. it is utterly entertaining, unpretentious and fascinating. ali as a cultural phenomena and social hero/outcast is something i was too young to understand.
Nick Mecham
This book takes an interesting approach by using quotes and interview clips from people involved in Ali's life to tell the entire story. I couldn't put the book down.
Colleen Mattatall
A remarkable man and an amazing story- told from different interviews made throught the last few decades and sort-of narrated by the author. Excellent read
Chutiduque
Honestly, before reading this book, I barely knew who Ali was. Now I can say that I really admire MUHAMMAD ALI. He is an example for everybody
Simon Zohhadi

A good biography written about arguably the greatest sportsman of all time. I particularly like the format of the book which is interview based.
Laura Crossett
More interesting than I thought it would be, given my total lack of interest in boxing. (Read for book discussion group.)
Zabetta Camilleri
Very interesting how the common theme for a such an amazing boxer is 'what a kind guy he is'. Wish I was at one of those fights.
Alan Lee
A wonderful walk down memory lane, detailing the ups and downs of perhaps the most legendary figure in sports history.
  • King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero
  • Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
  • The Fight
  • Ghosts of Manila: The Fateful Blood Feud Between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier
  • The Sweet Science
  • A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s
  • The Tao of Muhammad Ali
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • Babe: The Legend Comes to Life
  • About Three Bricks Shy: And The Load Filled Up
  • Heaven Is a Playground
  • Fat City
  • The Last Holiday
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
Thomas Hauser (b. 1946) is the author of forty-two books on subjects ranging from professional boxing to Beethoven. His first work, Missing, was made into an Academy Award–winning film. Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times earned numerous awards for its author, including the prestigious William Hill Sports Book of the Year. In 2004, the Boxing Writers Association of America honored Hauser with the Nat ...more
More about Thomas Hauser...
The Final Recollections of Charles Dickens: A Novel The Black Lights: Inside the World of Professional Boxing Missing Mark Twain Remembers The Beethoven Conspiracy

“Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” 178 likes
“Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams — they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as religions do — they all contain truths” 19 likes